Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

fermun posted:

exactly, catholics are an easter people. protestants are the christmas ones

excellent point

now i'm imagining melania's completely traditional white house mardi gras decorations and pageantry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the US government spent billions of dollars in the 1980s developing space weapons because the president was a senile old man who had seen Star Wars and liked it, with almost all of them being promptly cancelled by George HW Bush, his own hand-picked successor. they included a concept for a laser gun powered by a nuclear warhead and a bugfuck-insane plan to launch over 300 orbiting space stations covered in weapons.

the one that they went with, as the least stupid and outlandish of the various designs they wasted money on, was 'Brilliant Pebbles', a plan to launch ten thousand tiny missiles into orbit and have them just hang out up there forever, to be activated if the Soviets ever launched ICBMs. in addition to violating pretty much every space treaty and filling LEO with debris, the plan's projected cost was about 55 billion US dollars by the time it was finally cancelled (inflation-adjusted, about 110 billion dollars), plus ongoing costs for replacing the missiles as they reached end-of-life, for something that we now know would have never been used. it managed to survive through the Bush era only to finally get shitcanned by the Clinton administration.

also, even if it had been deployed, and even if nuclear war had broken out, we are now pretty sure it wouldn't have even worked

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

can anyone post that time lapse photo series of abrams realizing in real time she will not be vice president

https://twitter.com/ejw2020/status/1282064379878486016?s=19

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remember when Melania Trump redid the white house gardens to look like a terrifying hellscape and people got actual IRL mad about this garden they had never been to and will never be allowed to enter

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

loquacius posted:

Remember when Melania Trump redid the white house gardens to look like a terrifying hellscape and people got actual IRL mad about this garden they had never been to and will never be allowed to enter

She also installed an art

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mister Bates posted:

the US government spent billions of dollars in the 1980s developing space weapons because the president was a senile old man who had seen Star Wars and liked it, with almost all of them being promptly cancelled by George HW Bush, his own hand-picked successor. they included a concept for a laser gun powered by a nuclear warhead and a bugfuck-insane plan to launch over 300 orbiting space stations covered in weapons.

the one that they went with, as the least stupid and outlandish of the various designs they wasted money on, was 'Brilliant Pebbles', a plan to launch ten thousand tiny missiles into orbit and have them just hang out up there forever, to be activated if the Soviets ever launched ICBMs. in addition to violating pretty much every space treaty and filling LEO with debris, the plan's projected cost was about 55 billion US dollars by the time it was finally cancelled (inflation-adjusted, about 110 billion dollars), plus ongoing costs for replacing the missiles as they reached end-of-life, for something that we now know would have never been used. it managed to survive through the Bush era only to finally get shitcanned by the Clinton administration.

also, even if it had been deployed, and even if nuclear war had broken out, we are now pretty sure it wouldn't have even worked

The conniption the usual suspects through after clinton "slashed" the military budget after the cold war drawdown

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lord of Pie posted:

I have just now learned this garden exists and I am utterly outraged that it has been so defaced

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Bet they have to spend less money maintaining that sculpture over some.roses you know the first lady wasn't watering

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

The conniption the usual suspects through after clinton "slashed" the military budget after the cold war drawdown

everyone predicting that there would be a 'peace dividend' after the end of the Cold War as all of that military budget money was shifted to instead being spent on domestic/civilian programs, like infrastructure or healthcare or education, only for everyone in government to pick that exact moment to suddenly be extremely concerned about the budget deficit

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Bates posted:

George HW Bush, his own hand-picked successor.

Uhh

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Bates posted:

everyone predicting that there would be a 'peace dividend' after the end of the Cold War as all of that military budget money was shifted to instead being spent on domestic/civilian programs, like infrastructure or healthcare or education, only for everyone in government to pick that exact moment to suddenly be extremely concerned about the budget deficit

Thank God for 9/11

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mister Bates posted:

lmao I had literally never even heard of that theory as someone born immediately after the berlin wall fell

gee I wonder why it got memory holed so hard

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

it looks awesome but is also very clearly from someone who doesn't get christmas which is v funny

Perhaps it is hamburger people who do not understand christmas and instead have let the coca cola corporation define it for them. If there isn't a beast man birching children I feel like you have forgotten the reason for the season.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Bet they have to spend less money maintaining that sculpture over some.roses you know the first lady wasn't watering

You probably don't need to water roses in DC.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Weka posted:

Perhaps it is hamburger people who do not understand christmas and instead have let the coca cola corporation define it for them. If there isn't a beast man birching children I feel like you have forgotten the reason for the season.

You probably don't need to water roses in DC.

Or when you're the first lady

Really, any labor the first lady performs is sheer pageantry

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lord of Pie posted:

that rules

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/wiczipedia/status/1362153807879303171

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heights_of_presidents_and_presidential_candidates_of_the_United_States

madison is a short bitch

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/wiczipedia/status/1594154238795550723
https://twitter.com/wiczipedia/status/1594520750400339968

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

LOL she lasted 1-2 months.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

god bless

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

They forgot "All of the above."

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Or when you're the first lady

Really, any labor the first lady performs is sheer pageantry

Sometimes it's nice to do a simple menial task like water the garden.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Action Jacktion posted:

They forgot "All of the above."

#7 only kind of happened compared to "definitely exactly that happened" for the rest

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ikanreed posted:

#7 only kind of happened compared to "definitely exactly that happened" for the rest
eh #6 mostly didn't

like crime is up, and 9/11 happened, but capitalism did not let 9/11 stop them for sure and crime's still way down compared to the 90s

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1367668000346828806?t=nIUNrV-y635L7RMoNxA28g&s=19

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

eh #6 mostly didn't

like crime is up, and 9/11 happened, but capitalism did not let 9/11 stop them for sure and crime's still way down compared to the 90s

I think the point of calling #6 true is that whether or not crime and terrorism actually went up, the War on Terror and the associated enormous media coverage of high-profile terrorist acts like 9/11, the London bombings, or the Bataclan attack did in fact lead to much of the developed world pulling back and closing itself off out of fear rather than continuing to open up as the "long boom" scenario projected.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

some twitter lockdown-scold getting crippling long covid because he had to see three spiderman movie in theaters

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Zerg Mans posted:

some twitter lockdown-scold getting crippling long covid because he had to see three spiderman movie in theaters

The dnd covid thread zealot who accidentally let slip that he went to disneyland to buy a mug but its okay because he didn't go to the restroom so he's still morally pure

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

projecthalaxy posted:

went to disneyland to buy a mug

:lol:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Remember when Ron Paul was in one of the Presidential Debates in 2008 and said he supported the harshest punishments for illegal immigrants, but was opposed to building a fence on the southern border because he said "they will use the border fence to keep all of us in instead of keeping them out" and implement capital controls to bankrupt anyone who tried to move?

And he thought it was such a good point that he tried to run ads highlighting that answer and promoted it on his Twitter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esp-ruhkZqQ

https://twitter.com/ronpaul/status/1072597329490993155

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Remember when Ron Paul was in one of the Presidential Debates in 2008 and said he supported the harshest punishments for illegal immigrants, but was opposed to building a fence on the southern border because he said "they will use the border fence to keep all of us in instead of keeping them out" and implement capital controls to bankrupt anyone who tried to move?

And he thought it was such a good point that he tried to run ads highlighting that answer and promoted it on his Twitter?

i remember the groans from the audience when he said it lol

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ron Paul's mid-interview stroke

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

vyelkin posted:

I think the point of calling #6 true is that whether or not crime and terrorism actually went up, the War on Terror and the associated enormous media coverage of high-profile terrorist acts like 9/11, the London bombings, or the Bataclan attack did in fact lead to much of the developed world pulling back and closing itself off out of fear rather than continuing to open up as the "long boom" scenario projected.
Yeah, that's reasonable. Can't disagree.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Zerg Mans posted:

Ron Paul's mid-interview stroke

no, that was Jeff toobin

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Remember when, during a Democratic primary debate, Anderson Cooper asked the question:

quote:

They say you can tell a lot about a person by their enemies. What enemy are you proudest of making during your political career?

And the responses were:

quote:

The coal industry

quote:

Wall Street and Big Banks.

quote:

The NRA

quote:

The Republican party named me their biggest problem in Congress.

And then, it was Jim Webb's turn and he responds with:

quote:

I’d have to say the enemy soldier that threw the grenade that wounded me, but he’s not around right now to talk to...

And then didn't offer any other details.

And people kept asking him about what person he killed that he was referencing so much that his campaign had to contact the Navy for a copy of his qualifications for the Navy Cross to get all the information.

Then, he said he was done talking about it, but also confirmed that he had killed more than one person, and just referred everyone to the Navy statement.

quote:

On 10 July 1969, while participating in a company-sized search and destroy operation deep in hostile territory, First Lieutenant Webb’s platoon discovered a well-camouflaged bunker complex which appeared to be unoccupied. Deploying his men into defensive positions, First Lieutenant Webb was advancing to the first bunker when three enemy soldiers armed with hand grenades jumped out. Reacting instantly, he grabbed the closest man and, brandishing his .45 caliber pistol at the others, apprehended all three of the soldiers.

Accompanied by one of his men, he then approached the second bunker and called for the enemy to surrender. When the hostile soldiers failed to answer him and threw a grenade which detonated dangerously close to him, First Lieutenant Webb detonated a claymore mine in the bunker aperture, accounting for two enemy casualties and disclosing the entrance to a tunnel. Despite the smoke and debris from the explosion and the possibility of enemy soldiers hiding in the tunnel, he then conducted a thorough search which yielded several items of equipment and numerous documents containing valuable intelligence data.

Continuing the assault, he approached a third bunker and was preparing to fire into it when the enemy threw another grenade. Observing the grenade land dangerously close to his companion, First Lieutenant Webb simultaneously fired his weapon at the enemy, pushed the Marine away from the grenade, and shielded him from the explosion with his own body. Although sustaining painful fragmentation wounds from the explosion, he managed to throw a grenade into the aperture and completely destroy the remaining bunker.

The video is amazing because he clearly intended it to be a huge laugh line, but none of the candidates react and the audience has an uncomfortable sigh mixed in with a tiny smattering of applause from his campaign guests in the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AqzJ5JnnlI

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The massive candidate fields in the 2016 and 2020 primaries requiring a kids table debate

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zerg Mans posted:

The massive candidate fields in the 2016 and 2020 primaries requiring a kids table debate

And Bobby Jindal described being sent to the kids table debate as "brutal" and said that he almost cried when he heard.

Then, he tried to reverse in the middle of the interview and declare that "this was the very first debate of the campaign. It was the first debate and not an inferior debate. I think being first is going to be a huge boon for us."

At the same debate, Jim Gilmore didn't have a press team and got stopped by event security trying to go up to the Fox News and CNN stage because they didn't realize he was a candidate.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/rawrawemoXIV/status/1596709286415020033?cxt=HHwWgsCtpdyo06gsAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Just remembered that Ronna Romney changed her name and started using her maiden name "Ronna McDaniel" because Trump didn't want someone named Romney running the RNC.

lmao.