Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

lunar detritus posted:

bringing up royal content is cheating because it's better written than the entirety of persona 5

Fortune Teller was royal too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I never got the impression that the Principal was part of the conspiracy; he was just some schmuck whose boss or boss' boss was in the conspiracy and was leaning on him.

Same way Makoto and Sae weren't in on it but were pressured into doing their bidding.

He was: he's in direct contact with the SIU director who is presented as second only to shido

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A theory a friend of mine came up with is that the principle doesn't start the game as part of the conspiracy, but rather after the Kamoshida change of heart they figure they need to sniff Shujin out for potential metaverse users and co-opt him in then to use as a spy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

He was: he's in direct contact with the SIU director who is presented as second only to shido

It's not clear to me how the whole conspiracy was structured. It seems plausible to me that the principal was just one of many people who were given positions in exchange for fully supporting Shido's interests. I imagine the vast, vast majority of such people aren't aware of the metaverse stuff at all. Even Okumura doesn't seem to understand anything beyond "they're somehow capable of causing mental/psychotic shutdowns in people" IIRC.

Though it's a little unclear to me why Shido would care about installing a principal in this random high school.

Mirello posted:

on the other hand, futabas palace and story is awesome. giant mom sphinx yelling you deserve to die, and futaba saying back "shut up bitch, you're not my mom" was awesome. can't believe you can romance her. really disgusting. I kind of agree with something someone said earlier, futaba's personality and story make a lot more sense if she was like, 11 or 12 rather than 15. of course maturity is variable between different people, but still. also how come nobody in the neighborhood knew her (not even the postman who must've delivered her a bunch of poo poo) even though sojiro says that she had only somewhat recently (months earlier) started having panic attacks and being unable to leave her room.

I'm romancing everyone on my current play-through just to see all the scenes...but still not Futaba. Even ignoring the dependence issues (and her seeming younger than she's stated to be), Joker seems to clearly fill a familial role with her, which is especially important given she has literally no other real family aside from Sojiro. So not only are there the inherent issues with dating this child (I mean Joker is also a child, but Futaba even moreso), but doing so also destroys what should be an extremely important role Joker should be filling in her life. So it's not just a bad thing, but it's also replacing a very good thing.

Mailer posted:

His self-image is so hard locked on being a human and that image gets kicked at every turn. He has to hide constantly. Everyone, especially Ryuji, insists on calling him a cat. Futaba outright replaces him and then constantly treats him even more like a cat. He doesn't get to go for sushi and you don't bring any back for him. Everything around him reinforces that he's not human and now he's "useless" in the cognitive world as well.

I feel like if this was its own arc you'd get a bit more time to deal with it but having it mushed up in that big post-third-palace lull and the comedy relief Beauty Thief bit just makes him look like a pouty rear end in a top hat. Ryuji kindasorta feels bad, Morgana basically admits fault, and everyone is happy again. That's a pretty lovely quick TV sitcom resolution to an existential crisis.

Yeah, it's written very badly and resolved in a way that isn't very believable or satisfying, but Morgana himself is still a sympathetic character; the writing just fails to properly communicate this and only really makes an effort to abruptly during a couple in-game weeks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
futaba does not act like an eleven year old, what the hell. i think she has the same character development issue that a lot of the cast members have where they seem like different people in their social links but she's practically two steps ahead of any other party member at any given moment

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I never got the impression that the Principal was part of the conspiracy; he was just some schmuck whose boss or boss' boss was in the conspiracy and was leaning on him.

Same way Makoto and Sae weren't in on it but were pressured into doing their bidding.

He knew enough to think that going to the cops to hopefully get some kind of protection was a valid idea in the moment before he gets Frogger'd

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

A Bystander posted:

He knew enough to think that going to the cops to hopefully get some kind of protection was a valid idea in the moment before he gets Frogger'd

But apparently not enough to realize that the police were 100% also in on the conspiracy and even if he'd been able to reach the station and spill what he knew, it would have just gotten suppressed and he'd be quickly un-personed. Whatever his role it's pretty clear the principal was on one of the absolute lowest rungs.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

The man ordered one of his students to stop a crime ring, he had no idea what he was doing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, she did. That was the one good call he made.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Zokari posted:

The man ordered one of his students to stop a crime ring, he had no idea what he was doing.

Dude thought she was closer to the more fantastical sort of anime Student Council President.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The thing with Yusuke's introduction is that, like, even in high school i was drawing nude models pretty regularly as art training. You get completely desensitized to it pretty quickly and it's kind of just a normal expectation in practice. Unfortunately the game does absolutely no attempt to really get that aspect of Yusuke's lifestyle because the writing about art has little knowledge about the mechanical process of what it takes to be able to learn to draw, paint, render, or put together an image. Instead it went for really stupid comedy for a plan that was not very good in the first place, plus if Ann has been modeling for a while, she should at least be aware of, y'know, the types of modeling that exist in terms of jobs she can and can't take.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, she did. That was the one good call he made.

The problem with broken clocks is that you don't know when they're technically correct for those two times per day.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

futaba does not act like an eleven year old, what the hell. i think she has the same character development issue that a lot of the cast members have where they seem like different people in their social links but she's practically two steps ahead of any other party member at any given moment

yeah, she acts even younger

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

she's been severely traumatized and doesn't socialize with anyone, so her acting younger than her age isn't crazy. the bigger issue i have is what someone upthread said, which is that the main story makes joker out to be an older brother-type figure to her and so romancing her feels very weird.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oh good, the "Futaba, sister or not?" topic has rolled around again.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There are many issues with dating Futaba but I really do not understand 'Futaba is like a sister' when you know her for less than 6 months if you start dating.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Date everyone. Let me date the boys too, Atlus. Let me date the cat. Let me date Yusuke's lobsters. And then quietly ignore every single one of them after spending 30 consecutive minutes mashing A through their texts on holidays.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

"dating futaba is problematic" has been done to death in the p5 fandom so i won't stoke the fires here. basically you should be able to either date everybody including the boys or have a dating pool that excludes your teacher and a grown-rear end doctor

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*clears throat* it's called persona 5 because that's how many hours the tutorial takes

As long as we're covering well trodden ground

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Neeksy posted:

The thing with Yusuke's introduction is that, like, even in high school i was drawing nude models pretty regularly as art training. You get completely desensitized to it pretty quickly and it's kind of just a normal expectation in practice. Unfortunately the game does absolutely no attempt to really get that aspect of Yusuke's lifestyle because the writing about art has little knowledge about the mechanical process of what it takes to be able to learn to draw, paint, render, or put together an image. Instead it went for really stupid comedy for a plan that was not very good in the first place, plus if Ann has been modeling for a while, she should at least be aware of, y'know, the types of modeling that exist in terms of jobs she can and can't take.

The problem with broken clocks is that you don't know when they're technically correct for those two times per day.

I think its weird because several parts of yusuke's intro imply that he is actually horny for ann and doesn't just see her as a model. however, this is all water under the bridge once he joins the party and becomes "weirdo who doesn't understand social norms"

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mirello posted:

I think its weird because several parts of yusuke's intro imply that he is actually horny for ann and doesn't just see her as a model. however, this is all water under the bridge once he joins the party and becomes "weirdo who doesn't understand social norms"

Except he does sometimes ogle her along with the other boys and his 'I have no desire for sex only art' is portrayed as a lie. So who knows.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hellioning posted:

There are many issues with dating Futaba but I really do not understand 'Futaba is like a sister' when you know her for less than 6 months if you start dating.

Futaba has zero family aside from Sojiro, and Joker takes the lead in helping her to start living normally again. Joker is in a position to fill a supportive familial role for someone who doesn't have much family left, and dating is basically rejecting that.

(Granted, this is partly due to the whole Persona thing of completely ignoring the protagonist's life prior to the beginning of the game - it's easier to imagine Joker as a sort of "found family" to Sojiro/Futaba because we're never given any indication that Joker has his own family or friends.)

Mirello posted:

That isn't the reason he wants her to be his model though (or at least it isn't presented as such).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That's cause she's a Gamer and therefore superior to average non-Gamers.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Well she did figure out Mishima's true nature after like a minute.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The only person who doesn't know Mishima's true self is Mishima.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
mishima sucks why is he even a character. who did this

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

mishima sucks why is he even a character. who did this

we all pitched in during the kickstarter to get a goon put into the game

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Which of our goon mods would be closest to Mishima?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

There's also the fact that Sojiro and Futaba are obvious stand-ins for the Dojimas from P4, so it's natural for people to see them in a similar light.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Hellioning posted:

Except he does sometimes ogle her along with the other boys and his 'I have no desire for sex only art' is portrayed as a lie. So who knows.

The anime cutscenes were made at a time when they had a different vision for the game iirc, like relatively early in development. Then they had to adapt them for the new plot.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FireWorksWell posted:

The anime cutscenes were made at a time when they had a different vision for the game iirc, like relatively early in development. Then they had to adapt them for the new plot.

yeah this is obvious from the fact that most of them involve ogling ann, and they always contrive a reason for joker to not wear glasses.

it's insane they didnt update them for royal. i thought for sure they would fix the fireworks festival where nothing happens or the school trip where nothing happens.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Mirello posted:

they always contrive a reason for joker to not wear glasses.

I never noticed this, hahaha

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

That's cause she's a Gamer and therefore superior to average non-Gamers.

this is true op. except for Joker, who is canonically also a Gamer

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Youske feels attraction and hates expressing it in anything other than art.
His embarrassment is that he didn't have his brushes ready

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think he's one of the few characters who i thought was more fleshed out in his SL events than he was in the game where he just sort of became a wacky guy after his chapter

biggest glow downs are Makoto, and Ann. and Futaba to an extent

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Regarding the "is dating Futaba creepy?" conversation, I think it's only creepy if you view romantic relationships as inherently exploitative on some level, which isn't really a healthy view of relationships in general. The age difference is a year or so, and it's clear that they care deeply about each other in some way, be it as pseudo-family, or friends, or romantic interests. That doesn't sound to me like an inherently problematic relationship, unless you decide to project into it the idea that "the only reason the protagonist was nice and supportive toward Futaba was his own prurient interests." The idea that that must be the case, really smacks of "friend-zone" type poo poo for me, like the categories of friendship and romantic interest are mutually exclusive, and I just think that's not a healthy way to look at relationships.

The "found/adoptive family" aspect of it is not really a deal-breaker for me either. Plenty of people have strong relationships with their in-laws, where they're basically treated like an adoptive son or daughter, that doesn't mean they're suddenly in a relationship with their brother or sister.

I mean, you can look at it however you like, I'm not saying you have to love the idea of them getting together, but: they're two teenagers, close in age, who share a mutually-supportive close friendship, and it is an option for them to, mutually and consensually, consider dating each other. Those are the facts of the in-game relationship, everything else is projection. The world would be a much less hosed up place if that was the most problematic romantic relationship that existed.

If you don't feel comfortable "role-playing" Joker, who is a teenager, participating in that relationship, because you are not a teenager, that's fine. I get that. It does feel weird, and that's one reason I've never chosen to play Futaba's social link as a romantic interest. But, in-universe, I think it's a drat sight less problematic than dating the several adults who are available as romantic interests.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
these posts attempting to do psychiatry on a video game character are much creepier than dating futaba

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think he's one of the few characters who i thought was more fleshed out in his SL events than he was in the game where he just sort of became a wacky guy after his chapter

biggest glow downs are Makoto, and Ann. and Futaba to an extent

I posted about it before but him being unable to create art, the thing he dedicated his life to, because his trauma means he is no longer able to see beauty in the world is real heavy and one of my fave stories

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We know her psychology, we literally went into her brain space and saw everything.
Her mom is an enigmatic giant who's going to eat us if we don't get the riddle right she Sojiro lives miles out of town.
It isn't hard.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
persona 5

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

FireWorksWell posted:

I never noticed this, hahaha

It's awesome once you notice it.

"Okay, so all of us girls are going to dress up in Yukata for the fireworks. Hey, Joker, how about you take your glasses off, that's kind of like dressing up, right?"

Also "Nobody will notice us hang around the diet building for several hours if we wear our school uniforms", but that's par for the course for this series. See also: "Nobody is going to notice us carrying our weapons and armor through the food court if we smuggle them in under our school uniforms!" from P4.