Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you put an FOP sticker on your bike can you truly enter Paradise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What's wrong with the Fraternal Order of Pittsburgh Fentanyl Clouds?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

just saw two crashes within a minute of each other in opposite directions on the same section of highway. good work out there, folks

you can't beat the incredible freedom of the car. going anywhere you want, getting struck in traffic, not being able to get around any other way, slowing to a crawl because the flipside of drivers getting to do whatever they want is finding out that lots of drivers want to drive with extreme negligence... it rule's. pity the train-taker, the bike-sitter, the foot-user; they know not the freedom of the car

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The experience of driving across America, which my family just recklessly embraced, is an experience of America but, of course, also an experience of driving.

Mindful of this backdrop, I spent some of my sparse nondriving hours during our cross-country trip reading Matthew Crawford’s “Why We Drive: Toward a Philosophy of the Open Road.” Ill timed by its June 2020 publication, the book is the latest installment in Crawford’s running series of defenses of reality against virtuality, following his unexpected best seller from 2009, “Shop Class as Soulcraft,” and 2015’s “The World Beyond Your Head.”

In this case Crawford is out to defend what he calls “homo moto,” the human being who moves purposively through the world rather than being simply carried through it, who uses a “car or a motorcycle as a kind of prosthetic that amplifies our embodied capacities,” who gains freedom, familiarity and mastery by navigating swiftly through a complex landscape.

Driving, Crawford argues, remains an important “form of organic civic life” and a “realm of interaction that demands the skills of cooperation and improvisation.” Whereas its possible replacements, especially the supposed self-driving utopia, transform democratic agents into isolated passengers moving under algorithmic power, no longer “mentally involved in our own navigation and locomotion,” ruled, scrutinized and passive.

Learning to drive as a teenager, even without a full-time vehicle of my own, was a clear demarcation point in the journey out of childhood, a fundamental change in my relationship to the grown-up world. Understanding the places I’ve lived through their roadways, even if I don’t quite have the skill of a London cabby, has always been crucial to feeling at home and responsible, an adult and a citizen embedded in a specific place. Like most people, I have my driving app to screen for traffic and carry me through the unfamiliar, but I always prefer to use it as a map — zooming out to contextualize the route, turning off the peremptory voice — rather than as an A.I. co-pilot.

And however illusory it may be in an age of GPS and ubiquitous surveillance, there’s still no feeling quite like the moment when the snarls of traffic and the dense-packed buildings fall away and you enter space that feels unmanaged, unscrutinized, independent and anonymous, with roads leading almost anywhere, north, south and west.

Certainly there are other ways to attain some of these feelings and experiences. The young adult in the big city might achieve a similar sense of adult transition or escape by mastering a complex subway or a medieval (or Bostonian) tangle of streets. The ideal urban neighborhood is knowable on foot or on a bicycle in the way that more sprawling areas are knowable by car. What I feel driving deep into the country someone else might feel with a backpack at the edge of a national park.

But the scale of America is incredibly well suited to the potential gifts of the automobile. There is a necessary mixing between cities and states and regions that can happen by car and never by any scheme for high-speed railroads, let alone the hapless and costly versions on offer from our existing transportation bureaucracy. The virtues involved in being a good driver — the mix of independence and cooperation, knowledge and responsibility — really are virtues well suited to citizenship in a sprawling and diverse republic. And if driving makes some people distinctly anxious, learning to do it well, or just well enough, is also a tonic for anxiety, an easily available antidote to the sense that the world is pure chaos, beyond anyone’s control.

That anxious, hopeless sense seems particularly widespread among younger Americans, the same group retreating from car culture, refusing or delaying the licenses that their parents and grandparents so eagerly obtained.

As with the decline of childbearing, this refusal is influenced by cost-of-living issues — in this case, the price of gas, the price of new and (under Covidian conditions) older cars, even the rising cost of driver’s ed — and also a vaguer save-the-planet sentiment, a thread of abstemious ecological piety.

But even young nondrivers who feel most financially justified or morally certain about their choices should weigh some of the ideas in Crawford’s book, and the realities of being a citizen of America in all its continental vastness.

If you do not drive your neighborhood or region, what form of adult mastery and knowledge are you seeking in its place? If you do not drive your country’s highways and byways, what path do you have to a nonvirtual experience of the America beyond your class and tribe and bubble?

If you have strong answers to both questions, good. But lacking them, you should give the open road another look.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Jesus gently caress. What a miserable read. Particularly the minimizing of climate change. Choosing to drive is taking a decision that your convenience is worth more than the future is our species.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

"this is exactly as beautiful and humbling as Yellowstone" I think, as the 4 lane stroad with its strip malls and personal injury billboards melt away, giving rise to partially collapsed farmhouses and collections of derelict pickup trucks on empty gravel lots, eager to drive 40 miles to the next town and see their 4 lane stroad with its strip malls and personal injury billboards....I hear they have an Outback Steakhouse!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

eXXon posted:

If you do not drive your neighborhood or region, what form of adult mastery and knowledge are you seeking in its place?

it's a little silly to call this sentence the absolute paragon of windshield perspective because the entire article is a huge masturbatory ode to windshield perspective, but still, god drat. imagine being so cucked by your car that you can't imagine knowing your own neighborhood without it.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

"a-ha, here are the shops; i simply love to drive past them. and here, a restaurant. i greatly desire to visit, but it isn't accommodating of my car, and so i shall not taste of it... mayhaps if they install a drive-thru some day. and over there you shall find somesuch, but it's hard to park there, and so that way i go not. oh, but see here; we've arrived at the crosswalk, which i enter without giving right of way to the car-less wretches who shamble through it. what hope have they of knowing and mastering this place? and here we arrive at the center of it all, the new rome, a shining city on a hill - the gas station, pillar of my community, a place where all gather beneath the personal injury billboards and breath in the fresh air of civilization"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I sympathize but I don't want to get carried away into homomotophobia.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Big day for wrong way driving too

I don't need no Big Government to tell me what side of the road I can drive in.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
the whole article is obviously absurd but one thing that stuck out to me was:

quote:

...there’s still no feeling quite like the moment when the snarls of traffic and the dense-packed buildings fall away and you enter space that feels unmanaged, unscrutinized, independent and anonymous, with roads leading almost anywhere, north, south and west.

like yeah, maybe it could feel great when there aren't other people around... but you spend so little time in that environment? the average american is only going to encounter that maybe once or twice a year when they go on road trip vacation somewhere. your day-to-day life is so dependent on this machine whose only "virtue" is, by the author's own contention, only suited to the rare moments of leisure allowed to you

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Americans gently caress their cars and cum in them

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

there is a car alarm going off right now and pissing off maybe hundreds of people. very cool that we don't regulate this kind of thing

edit i went out and it's a giant truck, of course.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

cowboy beepboop posted:

there is a car alarm going off right now and pissing off maybe hundreds of people. very cool that we don't regulate this kind of thing

edit i went out and it's a giant truck, of course.

car alarms are like votes, technically correct at what they do and utterly useless at large

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

eXXon posted:

The ideal urban neighborhood is knowable on foot or on a bicycle in the way that more sprawling areas are knowable by car.

When I see a cat while traveling through an urban neighborhood on foot, I can abruptly stop, call out to the cat, and be snubbed. It is the same in a car--when I see an interesting animal in the more sprawling area, I can abruptly stop, call out to the raccoon or deer, be rear ended, and die.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Petanque posted:

the whole article is obviously absurd but one thing that stuck out to me was:

like yeah, maybe it could feel great when there aren't other people around... but you spend so little time in that environment? the average american is only going to encounter that maybe once or twice a year when they go on road trip vacation somewhere. your day-to-day life is so dependent on this machine whose only "virtue" is, by the author's own contention, only suited to the rare moments of leisure allowed to you

Also, it helps they may never have experienced living in a country with a rail system that allows you to do all of that as well.

Or, I guess have been able to walk in a city with sidewalks and street life.

Cars represent freedom in America because you have no other choice.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Ardennes posted:

Cars represent freedom in America because you have no other choice.

yeah, for the suburban mind they have to mean freedom, because you can get anywhere in your car and can't get anywhere any other way

theyre weighing their car - after largely editing out the frustration of normal driving and moments of hair-raising danger or witnessing recent death - against the one bus route nearby that comes once an hour and connects you with a forlorn bus depot

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im going to have to drive later today and im gonna go the speed limit the whole time :twisted:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've driven across the US a few times, and one of my main takeaways was "this would be better by train"

Like, once you've seen the great plains you don't ever want to drive across them again. Cities are universally miserable to drive through. Highways rarely expose you to the most beautiful scenery (Beartooth highway excluded, drat). You inevitably see some nasty carnage along the way (seriously, try driving across the US without seeing at least one death). Other drivers are assholes. You visit a lot of gas stations.

The scenery of America and freedom of travel are both great, but neither is because of cars.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

im going to have to drive later today and im gonna go the speed limit the whole time :twisted:

The best way to make other drivers rage out ime

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

it's a little silly to call this sentence the absolute paragon of windshield perspective because the entire article is a huge masturbatory ode to windshield perspective, but still, god drat. imagine being so cucked by your car that you can't imagine knowing your own neighborhood without it.

And the claim that it's the path to "mastering" one's neighborhood is some real shadows on the cave wall poo poo.

Like you will never meet your neighbors driving everywhere, you'll never find magical little foot paths or shortcuts, you'll never stop to appreciate someone's garden or little pieces of art on the light posts.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah cars are also a "right of passage" because that also the only way a teenager could have any serious autonomy from their parents, it just lifts the treshhold of getting that autonomy to kids that can get a permit then license and a car. In most other countries, teenagers just live their life and in areas with again public transportation, they can exist with much more autonomy from a younger age.

Arguably, it is the worst for teenagers with some type of limitation (monetary/physical/emotional etc) that are not prepared or really are not able to drive and therefore are screwed and implicitly limited from interacting from society until they either get a car or try to move to some area where they could at least catch a bus. (Asking a 16 year old to drive around in a country with complete psychos in massive tank-sized machines ready to snap at any moment is a lot)

Maybe within our lifetimes there will actually be an indepth study of exactly how abusive car culture is on nearly every front.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:18 on Nov 27, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I've driven across Denmark in both car and train. The car was superior in getting delayed because of a crash and also fart smell. The train was ...faster, more comfortable and didn't smell as bad. It doesn't stop everywhere though and getting from the station to the destination can suck.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ardennes posted:

Maybe within our lifetimes there will actually be an indepth study of exactly how abusive car culture is on nearly every front.

And maybe in our lifetimes we will ignore it

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I like how once in a while someone will be jailed for letting their child walk home from school.

There is no law making this illegal. Nobody would vote for it because we all imagine that we love independent children living wholesome walkable lifestyles in our quiet neighborhoods, but

all it takes is karen carbrain to call officer carbrain, and someone is in jail or on parole and hassled by cps for years for child neglect or endangerment

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Letting your child exist in the same world where cars exist is frankly irresponsible, tbh.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

eXXon posted:

The experience of driving across America, which my family just recklessly embraced, is an experience of America but, of course, also an experience of driving.

Mindful of this backdrop, I spent some of my sparse nondriving hours during our cross-country trip reading Matthew Crawford’s “Why We Drive: Toward a Philosophy of the Open Road.” Ill timed by its June 2020 publication, the book is the latest installment in Crawford’s running series of defenses of reality against virtuality, following his unexpected best seller from 2009, “Shop Class as Soulcraft,” and 2015’s “The World Beyond Your Head.”

In this case Crawford is out to defend what he calls “homo moto,” the human being who moves purposively through the world rather than being simply carried through it, who uses a “car or a motorcycle as a kind of prosthetic that amplifies our embodied capacities,” who gains freedom, familiarity and mastery by navigating swiftly through a complex landscape.

Driving, Crawford argues, remains an important “form of organic civic life” and a “realm of interaction that demands the skills of cooperation and improvisation.” Whereas its possible replacements, especially the supposed self-driving utopia, transform democratic agents into isolated passengers moving under algorithmic power, no longer “mentally involved in our own navigation and locomotion,” ruled, scrutinized and passive.

Learning to drive as a teenager, even without a full-time vehicle of my own, was a clear demarcation point in the journey out of childhood, a fundamental change in my relationship to the grown-up world. Understanding the places I’ve lived through their roadways, even if I don’t quite have the skill of a London cabby, has always been crucial to feeling at home and responsible, an adult and a citizen embedded in a specific place. Like most people, I have my driving app to screen for traffic and carry me through the unfamiliar, but I always prefer to use it as a map — zooming out to contextualize the route, turning off the peremptory voice — rather than as an A.I. co-pilot.

And however illusory it may be in an age of GPS and ubiquitous surveillance, there’s still no feeling quite like the moment when the snarls of traffic and the dense-packed buildings fall away and you enter space that feels unmanaged, unscrutinized, independent and anonymous, with roads leading almost anywhere, north, south and west.

Certainly there are other ways to attain some of these feelings and experiences. The young adult in the big city might achieve a similar sense of adult transition or escape by mastering a complex subway or a medieval (or Bostonian) tangle of streets. The ideal urban neighborhood is knowable on foot or on a bicycle in the way that more sprawling areas are knowable by car. What I feel driving deep into the country someone else might feel with a backpack at the edge of a national park.

But the scale of America is incredibly well suited to the potential gifts of the automobile. There is a necessary mixing between cities and states and regions that can happen by car and never by any scheme for high-speed railroads, let alone the hapless and costly versions on offer from our existing transportation bureaucracy. The virtues involved in being a good driver — the mix of independence and cooperation, knowledge and responsibility — really are virtues well suited to citizenship in a sprawling and diverse republic. And if driving makes some people distinctly anxious, learning to do it well, or just well enough, is also a tonic for anxiety, an easily available antidote to the sense that the world is pure chaos, beyond anyone’s control.

That anxious, hopeless sense seems particularly widespread among younger Americans, the same group retreating from car culture, refusing or delaying the licenses that their parents and grandparents so eagerly obtained.

As with the decline of childbearing, this refusal is influenced by cost-of-living issues — in this case, the price of gas, the price of new and (under Covidian conditions) older cars, even the rising cost of driver’s ed — and also a vaguer save-the-planet sentiment, a thread of abstemious ecological piety.

But even young nondrivers who feel most financially justified or morally certain about their choices should weigh some of the ideas in Crawford’s book, and the realities of being a citizen of America in all its continental vastness.

If you do not drive your neighborhood or region, what form of adult mastery and knowledge are you seeking in its place? If you do not drive your country’s highways and byways, what path do you have to a nonvirtual experience of the America beyond your class and tribe and bubble?

If you have strong answers to both questions, good. But lacking them, you should give the open road another look.

reported

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

love to transcend class boundaries, in my car

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

love to transcend class boundaries, in my car

If you mean crashing into gated communities I guess?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

you can't beat the incredible freedom of the car. going anywhere you want, getting struck in traffic, not being able to get around any other way, slowing to a crawl because the flipside of drivers getting to do whatever they want is finding out that lots of drivers want to drive with extreme negligence... it rule's. pity the train-taker, the bike-sitter, the foot-user; they know not the freedom of the car

"a-ha, here are the shops; i simply love to drive past them. and here, a restaurant. i greatly desire to visit, but it isn't accommodating of my car, and so i shall not taste of it... mayhaps if they install a drive-thru some day. and over there you shall find somesuch, but it's hard to park there, and so that way i go not. oh, but see here; we've arrived at the crosswalk, which i enter without giving right of way to the car-less wretches who shamble through it. what hope have they of knowing and mastering this place? and here we arrive at the center of it all, the new rome, a shining city on a hill - the gas station, pillar of my community, a place where all gather beneath the personal injury billboards and breath in the fresh air of civilization"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BonHair posted:

If you mean crashing into gated communities I guess?

no, I mean driving my country’s highways and byways to have a nontrivial experience of america

I saw a gated suburb in hell (PHX) where the road was gated but the sidewalk wasn’t so you could walk right in. *that* is peak car brain

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is this a poem about Buc-ee's

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

In my hometown, when I was a teenager, the cool kids hung out in their cars in the Wawa parking lot, the bad kids and wasteoids hung out in their cars in the 7-11 parking lot, and I never left my house

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

there’s really something to this carbrain-shopping cart connection. it was somewhat busy at the store today. the carts make it so much worse in a narrow store like most trader Joe. anyway I saw two different people making BEEP BEEP HONK noises moving through the aisles.

also people park their drat carts in front of the poo poo you’re trying to get.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

To be fair, I squeeze between the carts holding my basket saying "I'm a Bike! I'm a bike! gently caress you, I'm a bike!"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

wawa kicks rear end

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Circle K is gonna start selling weed

Checkmate, Wawa

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

Circle K is gonna start selling weed

Checkmate, Wawa

is this true

e: wow it is... !!!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

strange things are afoot at the circle k…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’m gong to let down the shopping cart tires at the Safeway one night