Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
BMWs are just misunderstood.

e: ugh awful snipe. here's an alpina b8, one of my fav beamers

busalover fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Got my SV650s 5 years now, going on 6. No plans to get rid of it anytime soon. Might be the one that'll become living room decoration if it ever becomes impossible to register a gasoline powered bike.
It's not that pretty a bike, but it's mine, i know it through and through, and it's my first.

The FZR600 might go if another 4 cylinder shows up to replace it. Thinking of the rumored ninja 400, after it's been on the 2nd hand market for a year or two.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

Everyone should buy a new different bike every year just in case.

Way ahead of you there, chief :cool:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

LimaBiker posted:

The FZR600 might go if another 4 cylinder shows up to replace it. Thinking of the rumored ninja 400, after it's been on the 2nd hand market for a year or two.

The ZX-4? That's gonna be mighty tempting.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Has anyone owned the same bike for, say, 10ish years (to pick an arbitrary longish number)? 5? Just curious if it's more normal than I think it is.

I bought my DRZ in 2009 and still have it.

I ride other bikes but I love coming back to the DRZ. its the ultimate city bike and i live in a high density area.

I also owned a sv650 for ~10 years but that also was a super great bike. I swapped suspension on it front and rear and beat the hell out of it in the canyons and track days. upgraded to a “real” super sport eventually but the SV will always be special to me

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Starting to sound like if you own multiple bikes, you're likely to have one or two that you've kept for a while, but if you only have one bike you're more likely to swap it out more frequently.
Sorry for the non-pic derail, but it's been enlightening!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hmmm well I have bought six bikes in the past two years and I've sold only one. (A 1994 Yamaha DT100 that my youngest grew out of)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

It's always amazing how rapidly Americans manage to destroy German cars. I guess distances covered are less here but, yknow, people do also stick to the maintenance schedules.

BMW jumped 10 spots in the CR reliability rating for this year which is kinda surprising , it’s in the top 3 behind Toyota and Lexus. Hopefully it’s a continuing trend and not a blip. My 10 year old Honda is still doing great, I need to do brake pads for it. But it’s only needed oil, gas and tires in the time I’ve owned it.

I can’t decide if I should get rid of the MT03 if I pick up something else… kind of short on space.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Considering Dodge (sorry, RAM), a brand that people on these forums claim they've had rentals of that were straight up broken after less than a couple thousand miles, ranks in the top 10 of the CR ratings, Id say either reliability ratings and goon opinions are suspect.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or, and bear with me here: almost all modern vehicles are garbage designed to squeeze past the warranty period which is also where reliability surveys draw data from

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Considering Dodge (sorry, RAM), a brand that people on these forums claim they've had rentals of that were straight up broken after less than a couple thousand miles, ranks in the top 10 of the CR ratings, Id say either reliability ratings and goon opinions are suspect.

RAM is 16th. Which is what you’d expect. Looking at trends over time is more important than individual years. There is definitely some things we can criticize the CR methodology for, so it’s matter of understanding exactly what it provides rather than just taking it at face value.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

RAM is 16th.

Yeah, I looked at some other chart I guess.

Heres the 2022 chart.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tesla coming in higher than Mercedes is special but I'm not sure which of the two brands it says more about.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Jeep is actually an aggressively good example of what Slavy was saying. I had a Wrangler with Auto Start/Stop, which requires a small auxiliary battery in addition to the main 12V battery. After three years of trouble-free service, it gave out with very little warning. A few slow starts, then a Christmas tree of lights that urged me to pull over ASAP. I lost all power steering and was lucky enough to make it to the driveway of the house we had just sold - over 260 miles away from our current home :(.
The 36 month warranty period hadn't expired, but the 36000 mile limit was exceeded by 4k miles.
I had to rent a loving minivan from the airport to drive my family back home. That Jeep sat in the shop for six weeks before it finally got fixed. Out of warranty, but the dealer covered it themselves I guess. We paid only for the small battery.
But get this: the failure of that battery caused the failure of some main breaker distribution board and the entire stereo/AC control unit had to be reset by a tech with the right software. I could not have fixed this on my own.
Further, we had taken that Jeep on some very serious trails here in the Pacific Northwest that are terribly far from any paved roads, and paved roads don't necessarily mean civilization with towing - that could still be another 100 miles out. Had this happened out there (instead of my driveway) we would have been hosed, possibly dangerously so. At this point, I already didn't trust this vehicle for any more off-road drives.

This was all due to the failure of a small, auxiliary 12V battery. What the gently caress, Jeep.

A few months after that, again Christmas lights on the dash and an audible vacuum leak after driving around on a beach. After a bit of troubleshooting I discovered that the brakebooster was missing one of four nuts mounting it by studs to the firewall. It looked like it hadn't just come off - the threads were factory clean with some paint still on them. It certainly looked like that fourth nut had never been installed and now, 44k miles later, the booster finally broke the seal to the firewall.
I managed to find a nut that fit in my dirtbike tools I had with me. However, I tightened it up only to the point that I could no longer hear the vacuum leak on a very noisy loving beach with a lot of 2T Banshees and Blasters revving to the moon.
On my drive home, the vehicle again lost all power steering (while driving down a curvy highway pulling my dirtbike trailer, very cool!). I made it home and looked into it some more. The vacuum leak caused a bunch of error codes and one of them forces a safety shutdown of the power steering, auto-start stop system, and ABS.
Once I tightened that nut up as much as I could, this all went away.

At that point, we had enough. Cleaned it up and traded it at the height of the used car prices for a nearly new 2022 Subaru. gently caress Jeep. A whole bunch of bad design decisions, coupled with bad craftsmanship and outright dangerous "features".

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/Texas_Made956/status/1595202397500018688?s=20&t=loe8O3LUOe5iUyjbVNbjgA

Traffic lights already make me antsy and this does not help

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gyaaaaahhgggghhhhhh. I am involuntarily grimacing and clenching my neck and can't stop. That's horrifying.

Where the gently caress was the at-fault car trying to go? Were they just out of their mind on drugs or something?

Yet another good example of why we need to re-test all car drivers every 5 years. gently caress

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

gyaaaaahhgggghhhhhh. I am involuntarily grimacing and clenching my neck and can't stop. That's horrifying.

Where the gently caress was the at-fault car trying to go? Were they just out of their mind on drugs or something?

Yet another good example of why we need to re-test all car drivers every 5 years. gently caress

Nothing like that actually, apparently the car was stolen

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Drive it like you stole it ie kill someone else with it

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Maybe too real, but my sister-in-law’s car was hit by some kids in a stolen car that the cops had chased across at least two counties. Broke her sternum. Totaled the car.

This was a few weeks after my Dad had gotten out of the rehab where they got him back on his feet after being hit by a car as a pedestrian.

It’s been a bad year for my family and cars.

When my brother called to tell me about it, I failed to keep from pointing out that maybe the cops shouldn’t have been chasing literal children across multiple counties and that he should be suing them instead of the kids.

He didn’t entirely disagree, which means I’m making progress with him.

poo poo like this is why cops should not be allowed to chase vehicles. A stolen car is not a big deal compared to the kind of accident my sister-in-law had or what’s in that video. Just get the car later. God knows they’ve got enough cameras and planes and poo poo that they’re usually just bothering people with. Use them for these situations and stop causing more accidents.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Further, we had taken that Jeep on some very serious trails here in the Pacific Northwest that are terribly far from any paved roads, and paved roads don't necessarily mean civilization with towing - that could still be another 100 miles out. Had this happened out there (instead of my driveway) we would have been hosed, possibly dangerously so.

I'm just going to recommend these things everywhere I can

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/outdoor-recreation/satellite-communicators/

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

You might like it but I hated that thing.

I spend a lot of time adventuring in the back country and woods. I went on a longish hike/canoe trip with a friend. His wife asked us to use the InReach to monitor us for safety.

It was supposed to be able to send one text message via satellite per day. It sent the first ~6 days of messages all together on day 6. Ran itself out of battery in a few days. I do not trust it to work when I need it, it’s a wonky little blackbox that claims to rescue you.

I’ve been in bad situations in the field before and I’d rather have my ham radio to call for help and pray some ham is listening than try that stupid gps thing.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

RadioPassive posted:

I spend a lot of time adventuring in the back country and woods. I went on a longish hike/canoe trip with a friend. His wife asked us to use the InReach to monitor us for safety.

It was supposed to be able to send one text message via satellite per day. It sent the first ~6 days of messages all together on day 6. Ran itself out of battery in a few days. I do not trust it to work when I need it, it’s a wonky little blackbox that claims to rescue you.

I’ve been in bad situations in the field before and I’d rather have my ham radio to call for help and pray some ham is listening than try that stupid gps thing.

Yeah, I've never had an issue. Did you get a message sent notification on the days it failed to send?

I also don't think it's fair to call it a black box. Garmin will message you back if you press the red button, so you'll know if anyone got it or not. As opposed to say a SPOT. (Though I see the new one is two--way).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I carry my little backup aviation handheld radio when I'm in situations like that. If I got in poo poo, I'd tune it to 121.5 and start calling any time I saw a plane nearby. Most pilots flying in the boonies will be monitoring that frequency if they are good pilots.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Xakura posted:

Yeah, I've never had an issue. Did you get a message sent notification on the days it failed to send?

This was some years ago, but I vaguely remember being in the field and believing that it had worked, then getting home a month later and checking her receipts and datestamps and being surprised at what she'd actually received. Maybe we just hosed up using it or something.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

RadioPassive posted:

Interesting. I was considering one of these. I use a couple of the full size ones for about 6 months out of every year to keep in touch with my supervisor, and for my field crew to keep in touch with me when they're out of cell service. They've been nearly perfect for the past 6 years or so that I've had them. Text send/receive has a bit of a delay, but I have several full on text conversations a year using them. Keeping then out in the open with an uninterrupted view of the sky seems to be helpful, but nearly all my field work is down in canyons so it's not always an option.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I am curious about peoples experiences with those inreach devices. They do use the iridium satellite network from the 90’s which is getting kinda decrepit. i could see it not functioning perfectly all the time.

I did a big backcountry ride recently and realized after the fact that I had left only a map and some vague description of the trip with my wife and there is some chance I could have just disappeared into the wilderness forever and no one would know where I was.

I have a ham radio but thats far from perfect. repeaters are sparse in the backcountry and so are people listening on 146.520

sorry pics thread.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

yummycheese posted:

I am curious about peoples experiences with those inreach devices. They do use the iridium satellite network from the 90’s which is getting kinda decrepit. i could see it not functioning perfectly all the time.

I did a big backcountry ride recently and realized after the fact that I had left only a map and some vague description of the trip with my wife and there is some chance I could have just disappeared into the wilderness forever and no one would know where I was.

I have a ham radio but thats far from perfect. repeaters are sparse in the backcountry and so are people listening on 146.520

sorry pics thread.

They finished a new constellation in 2019.

I've never had an issue, neither with an inReach nor a proper iridium satphone.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have an Inreach mini for backcountry skiing, it works fine for messages but ofc I've never had to use it for real. I'd be pretty confident of it working. The guides carry little VHF radios but they often won't reach the heli rescue centre when you're down in a valley.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The F6B was the factory bagger option, it is discontinued, and I dont think it sold too well

Nah, you can still get a bagger, but you can't get one with a manual, at least in the US. They just call it the Gold Wing instead of the Gold Wing Tour

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/touring/gold-wing/build?year=2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

33 thousand earth dollars for a goldwing.

Holy poo poo.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo.
Not an unreasonable amount, if you look at the overall segment.
You could option a Harley-Davidson close to 50. K series BMW starting point is 30, etc

It is incredibly sad, considering that trunkless 2018 models were sitting at the dealerships at the beginning of pandemic with sticker price around 16k. I made a mistake not buying one back then

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My 2 year old golden retriever barked angrily (or maybe was afraid of) some sort of all black Harley bagger that was parked on the curb when I took him for a walk last night. I guess a healthy fear of hogs and/or boomers isn't really a bad thing.

To be fair it was pretty dark, and I guess an unusual shape, but I don't know what specifically made it so scary to him.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nitrox posted:

Not an unreasonable amount, if you look at the overall segment.
You could option a Harley-Davidson close to 50. K series BMW starting point is 30, etc

It is incredibly sad, considering that trunkless 2018 models were sitting at the dealerships at the beginning of pandemic with sticker price around 16k. I made a mistake not buying one back then

I know, I just compare it to the fact that I paid barely more than that for a new Honda Accord in 2018 and it’s like :psypop:

Tbf you can get the best big boy touring bike for the cheapest, so Honda does stay winning

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

e; I'm an idiot, you said it was parked

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 28, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe a cat pissed on it?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo.

That's almost as much as the first new car I ever bought, but aren't Goldwings like the most advanced full-dress touring bikes available? You could spend close to $50k on a Harley CVO, but there's nothing advanced about them. The engine is 3ci larger from the factory and the bags have remote locks, but everything else is just aesthetics you could get out of a parts catalog. You're not going to find an upgrade to the touring experience with a harley over 25k (22k plus heated poo poo and a rear trunk), and that's still less than a Diavel which probably only runs if it has its own room in your house with heat and a private bathroom.

MetaJew posted:

My 2 year old golden retriever barked angrily (or maybe was afraid of) some sort of all black Harley bagger that was parked on the curb when I took him for a walk last night.

About 10 years ago you could get a decent performance increase with slip-on exhaust, but then Harley got whacked by the EPA because so many people were removing the catalytic converter by swapping the muffler, so HD put it in the mid pipe. He was probably just barking at the cat. :rimshot:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Strife posted:

About 10 years ago you could get a decent performance increase with slip-on exhaust, but then Harley got whacked by the EPA because so many people were removing the catalytic converter by swapping the muffler, so HD put it in the mid pipe. He was probably just barking at the cat. :rimshot:

:dadjoke:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Today was a good day

Nowhere near as awful as I expected, give it less lovely brakes and the best possible tires and it would be pretty fun, in a 'I respect you a lot please don't hurt me' kind of way.

Also it had factory valve emulators in it lol

Kawasaki: fast but just a little bit poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't even figure out what happened here. What did he hit at first?

https://i.imgur.com/2VWQ5MT.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
hardcase clipped the car on the right