Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Convex posted:

ban all newspaper opinion columns imo. one boris was one too many
all columnists to be replaced with Adrian Chiles

E:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

They can see a gp on the same day? Like we used to be able to here pre-Coalition?

It's so loving shameless.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tomberforce posted:

They can see a gp on the same day? Like we used to be able to here pre-Coalition?

It's so loving shameless.

I learned that GPs have been set central targets for "virtual" consultations.

As, you must not see x% of patients but do telephone calls with them instead.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Can confirm that the Irish health service is dogshit

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/PublicPriestley/status/1596502613495025667

Long thread but really brings home the twisted Tory corruption over the time of COVID.

Whoever the next incoming govt they MUST do a thorough investigation and lock some of these wretched Tories up (plus get money back and strip honours).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't think I've seen my actual registered GP once, just a succession of practice nurses and locum paramedics. There's this idea that your GP 'knows' your history but I've literally never been able to book an appointment with mine with less than a 2 week wait, and since moving the one appointment I did book, he was off sick and got replaced.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't think I've seen my actual registered GP once, just a succession of practice nurses and locum paramedics. There's this idea that your GP 'knows' your history but I've literally never been able to book an appointment with mine with less than a 2 week wait, and since moving the one appointment I did book, he was off sick and got replaced.

I think when they say 'knows' they mean read it on their system which is not always accurate.
I was looking over my GP's shoulder one time when she was scrolling through and it said I hadn't turned up for a mammogram a couple of years earlier. (And if you don't they stop inviting you) but I had had to reschedule it for a few weeks later and had been so I took the letter in for them to scan to their records. Another time it said I hadn't had a smear test for 13 YEARS and that very year I had had 3!
One day I might ask for the list of my GP visits and go through it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Can confirm that the Irish health service is dogshit

Yup.
If you have health insurance you can claim back 50% of the 50 euros for each visit.
Doubt it mentions that will happen for the UK.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tories love the idea of a two tier system at the mercy of your employer, so something like that but worse.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

It'll be Kier's Labour that kills the NHS, you can see Streeting eyeing it up like a turkey the week before xmas.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

JoylessJester posted:

It'll be Kier's Labour that kills the NHS, you can see Streeting eyeing it up like a turkey the week before xmas.

I hope they've got a camera on him when they call a hung parliament in 2024.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

JoylessJester posted:

They'll sell it by saying that its a tough decision, but a brave and necessary one and libs will spin it as Starmer playing twelve dimensional chess because hes proving to the electorate that hes fiscally responsible.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It used to be you had a named GP that you were supposed to go to and they would "know" you. Due to staffing pressures (sound familiar?) most practices now pool their patients. You have a named GP but that's just who's going to have to deal with the mess if and when it happens.

In general no doctor us really going to "know" you and will rely on notes most of the time. Imagine having 2000 friends and knowing the details of all their summer holidays.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I don't even have a named GP anymore, haven't for a few years. It's just given as the practice.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I hope I never, ever end up living on a street that has a neighbourhood WhatsApp chat

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Yup.
If you have health insurance you can claim back 50% of the 50 euros for each visit.
Doubt it mentions that will happen for the UK.

If we loose the NHS then what's the loving point in NI staying linked to the UK. :ughh:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I don't have a named GP anymore but a couple weeks ago I phoned my practice because I had chest pains and they saw me within two hours , then sent me to hospital where I had a whole bunch of tests done, and yeah sure there was a few hours of just sitting around the waiting room but I still got seen to and sorted in what I consider a timely manner given there were blood tests and EKGs and x-rays all being done.

I'm not saying people don't have poo poo experiences, but like every experience I've ever had with the NHS in my entire life has always been really good. It's no wonder it's the one thing in this lovely country everyone can feel proud of.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Drinkslinger posted:

I hope I never, ever end up living on a street that has a neighbourhood WhatsApp chat

Without that sort of community we will never, ever get a revolution however. Not specifically WhatsApp, but neighbours knowing each other and communicating regularly is, I think, absolutely essential.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Drinkslinger posted:

Moved house this year, previous owners offered to add us. I said no thanks.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The Financial loving Times posted:

Barack Obama famously said “don’t do stupid stuff”. (Actually, he said something even stronger.) This is always good advice. It is particularly good advice for today’s UK. It would be wonderful if it could start doing sensible stuff. But one must keep one’s hopes in check. It should, however, surely be possible to stop doing really stupid stuff.

Opinion section, granted, but also, lol.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 27, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1596876220498513921

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Politicians are once again thinking the unthinkable: is it time to start releasing some leopards to eat poor people's faces? We’ve dug into how that might work by looking at Ireland🇮🇪, which has been releasing leopards for generations which have never eaten a non rich person's face.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Drinkslinger posted:

I do and it's fine because the neighbours aren't racist mentallers

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Failed Imagineer posted:

I do and it's fine because the neighbours aren't racist mentallers

Check out this dude who hasn't been invited to the real group

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

One thing I worry about is the longer the Tories keep driving public everything into the ground, the more unimaginable the scale of required improvement becomes, to take it from "brink of collapse" to "pretty good, actually"

I was reading an article earlier about GPs which I now can't find because the Graun's website is as bad as their politics, but it mentioned some aspect being overloaded by a factor of 2.

Which then reminded me of the class-size discussion from many threads ago, which I vaguely remember contained some "well actually" research that taking classes form 30+ to 22 kids didn't actually help that much... but that you'd need to go down to like 15 to see a big difference. Which a quick google shows is the smallest end of an OECD comparison chart (and coincidentally where I grew up, which I why I find 30 to be huge). Cf China nudging toward 40.

How do you sell that in the UK today? You can't even finish the sentence "we need to double..." before people start yelling about magic money trees. Better things aren't possible.

As terrible as Nullarbor were, 2010 would be a much less daunting starting point. Not sure what my point is, it just seems very insurmountable.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Just Another Lurker posted:

If we loose the NHS then what's the loving point in NI staying linked to the UK. :ughh:

come on now we still have the um

uuummmmm

the yella rear number plates

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

come on now we still have the um

uuummmmm

the yella rear number plates

Come now. There are ripe fruits ready for a good plucking.

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1596574187333644288

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

Check out this dude who hasn't been invited to the real group
Boys chat (real) (final_1) (DO NOT INVITE STEVE TO THIS ONE)

Drinkslinger posted:

We keep getting letters through the door inviting us to the local nextdoor group, and I have absolutely no desire at all to hop into that derranged mess with my real name and address.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

smellmycheese posted:

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1596574187333644288

quote:

I have little hope that this government will do anything much positive before the next general election, particularly in the midst of an energy and inflation crisis. But it is not too much to ask it to stop doing stupid things. So, do not consider regulatory changes unless they will clearly be for the better. Do not promise control over migration you cannot deliver. Do not stick to the option of divergence on food standards, which makes resolving the issue of Northern Ireland so intractable. But do try hard to preserve the ability of our scientists to co-operate closely with their European peers. And, not least, do stop the endless barking by the British bulldog.

:v:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Me and the boys about to hit the sunlit uplands after having our ripe fruits plucked.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Davey Boy Smith died years ago

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Boy I hope those metaphorical ripe fruits taste as good as the real ones we had to plough back in because nobody could come over to harvest them.

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
Hello,

Goddamnedtwisto passed away earlier this year. He was in his forties.

On the forums he frequently shared his obscure knowledge of telecommunications, the cold war, and East London political/football/music history; to go with his unique voice and sense of humour. In real life, as well as his much-loved and shared dog and bikes, he had a family who miss him as do his friends from his involvement in the creative scene in London, which I don't think was as well-known here if at all.

I remember how much he treasured his privacy - thus being slightly less detailed than one would expect - but thought people should know. I'm putting this message in a few of the subforums he regularly posted in. I knew him slightly in real life; the lockdowns unfortunately put us out of contact a bit; but from his obituaries it was clear he had extended a helping hand and wisdom to others as he had here over the years.

Rest in peace mate.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Sorry to hear that, he'll be missed here. Thanks for letting us know.

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Commiserations. I always found twisto's effort posts were always a joy to read; thank you for posting the news. To hear that he's passed is unfortunate & surprising.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nutapii posted:

Hello,

Goddamnedtwisto passed away earlier this year. He was in his forties.

Rest in peace mate.

gently caress. We'd noticed he wasn't posting but had just hoped he'd gotten bored of the forums for a bit.

Rest in Peace.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

rip twisto, its good to know finally but that really sucks :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah jesus, I really was worried about that. He really was a fantastic poster, always with something interesting to share.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Well loving hell, that's some poo poo news :(

My condolences to his family and friends, he seemed like a decent bloke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That powerfully sucks about twisto. As a mark of respect, we should all post the weirdest trivia about London or architecture we know.

E: just in case anyone thinks I'm being glib, I'm not. He seemed like a genuinely lovely person with a deep knowledge of obscure london paraphernalia, and the thread is diminished by his absence.