Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've been using a smaller, chaaper zojirushi coming up on 8 years now and the thing still gets the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
got two zojirushi products for both of my aforementioned needs, this 16oz thermos and this rice cooker, both currently on sale for 20% off for black friday.

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
What’s a good wireless HD/personal cloud device for movies? I’m looking to have something I can plug in and put in the living room and play a movie from on my phone easily.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Recommendations for a mustache trimmer? I want to edge around it better and don't want to go full straight razer. Is there some middle ground or decent electric small trimmer for fine work?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

got two zojirushi products for both of my aforementioned needs, this 16oz thermos and this rice cooker, both currently on sale for 20% off for black friday.

I have a zojirushi rice maker that i got to replace one of the tiny little ones and its honestly been night and day for me.

Zojirushi makes such good rice.

i may just be easily impressed

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno, 1 liter maybe?

and as for rice cookers, I've had a black and decker rice cooker(looks a lot like this one) that I think is the same one that Roger Ebert was recommending over a decade ago. it still works great, but I'm wondering if there's any sort of amazing breakthrough in ricecooker technology since a decade ago, or if a rice cooker is a rice cooker is a rice cooker.

any rice cooker with fuzzy logic tech is what makes the higher price ones worth it since it's designed to make perfect rice no matter what kind of rice you use; zojirushis just happened to be that reliable brand everyone knows (and the cuckoo brand is the korean equivalent)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I don't use it a ton lately, but my zojirushi is the only way I make rice. You never regret getting one.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Does anyone have a food safe/ heat resistant epoxy they've used and would recommend? A lid was a casualty of Thanksgiving Day meal prep.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

m.hache posted:

Recommendations for a mustache trimmer? I want to edge around it better and don't want to go full straight razer. Is there some middle ground or decent electric small trimmer for fine work?

Have you tried using a zojirushi :v:

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

m.hache posted:

Oneblade

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cornuto posted:

Oneblade

Got one of these because of this thread a year ago and I’ve been using it for my entire body since. It’s great for the price.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cornuto posted:

Oneblade

Alternatively buy a normal DE safety razor and save a poo poo load on blades.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Slimy Hog posted:

Alternatively buy a normal DE safety razor and save a poo poo load on blades.

My personal experience is that safety razors are painfully too close of a shave and OneBlade cartridges last for an absurdly long time anyway.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Glottis posted:

My personal experience is that safety razors are painfully too close of a shave and OneBlade cartridges last for an absurdly long time anyway.

Going on a year for me, but I don’t have much facial hair.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Glottis posted:

Yeah mine came with two so I use one for certain bits and the other for the rest. I haven’t had to replace either yet.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
My last pair of boots only lasted me a year. I'm looking for boots that will last me years. Suggestions?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

What are you using these boots for? Hiking? Work? Fashion?

E. Also, price range?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I intend to just wear them everywhere. Hiking, work, grocery shopping. I'm just a convenience store monkey so work isn't particularly rough on my footwear other than I'm in them, and I don't do a *lot* of hiking but I do on occasion. I suppose under $200 is what I'm thinking.

I bought my last pair on Amazon and they seemed really sturdy for about nine months, and then started to rapidly fall apart. I don't know what brands or what when it comes to quality...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
We do have a boots thread so you can ask there as well. And yeah: the more detailed you can be about what kind of boots you want, the better. Style examples will also help.

I will warn you though: sub-$200 for something that'll last years and years is going to be very tough, short of a really good sale. Some people have good luck with Thursday Boots in that range, others not so much. I'd pitch Red Wings, but that's in the $300 range. Post over there too, others might have better ideas.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

credburn posted:

I intend to just wear them everywhere. Hiking, work, grocery shopping. I'm just a convenience store monkey so work isn't particularly rough on my footwear other than I'm in them, and I don't do a *lot* of hiking but I do on occasion. I suppose under $200 is what I'm thinking.

I bought my last pair on Amazon and they seemed really sturdy for about nine months, and then started to rapidly fall apart. I don't know what brands or what when it comes to quality...

Merrell Moab 2.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Trabant posted:

We do have a boots thread so you can ask there as well. And yeah: the more detailed you can be about what kind of boots you want, the better. Style examples will also help.

I will warn you though: sub-$200 for something that'll last years and years is going to be very tough, short of a really good sale. Some people have good luck with Thursday Boots in that range, others not so much. I'd pitch Red Wings, but that's in the $300 range. Post over there too, others might have better ideas.

Rolo posted:

Merrell Moab 2.
I like how these are both valid completely answers but probably anyone who answers one way hates everyone who answers the other way

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
I had to Google the merrels to understand, but poo poo you are not kidding.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cornuto posted:

I had to Google the merrels to understand, but poo poo you are not kidding.

I’d be surprised if it didn’t bring up pics of the unofficial spokesperson, my dad.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I'm more of an Oboz Sawtooth dad, myself.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'd never heard of Oboz but after struggling to find a comfortable boot I got a pair of their Bozeman Mid and they come close. Unfortunately with each step the right foot toebox crease presses down on my toes and I don't think it's getting any better as I break them in.

I'll never understand why every boot is now built to be an inflexible, unyielding pain device. I had two pairs of Bates standard black leather and nylon boots and they never broke in. Never. They were as rigid the day I threw them out as the day I bought them.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

The Sawtooth with medium-high arch inserts are pretty much the perfect shoe, for me. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th pair. I recommend trying inserts, if you're noticing some weirdness

edit: just saw that you said the crease was pressing down onto your toes, which implies that you have large toes, and you might need something with a larger toe box.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My preferred boot for hiking is a trail runner (I use an approach shoe which is similar) or the Salomon Men's X Ultra 3 Mid

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Just a follow-up: J Crew has a sale going and their boots are fine for the price if you get a Goodyear welted pair.

mystes posted:

I like how these are both valid completely answers but probably anyone who answers one way hates everyone who answers the other way

Nah, definitely no hate. I personally wouldn't wear hiking-style boots for anything other than hiking and... I don't hike :v:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What’s a good bath towel that is especially absorbent? I don’t need it to be “luxury” or silky smooth or impress guests or anything, just a towel that’s really good at being a towel

Sometimes the fancy stuff sucks at doing it’s job

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Brooklinen towels are awesome.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Brooklinen towels are awesome.

Any of them in particular? The super-plush makes me a little suspicious, there’s also classic and ultra light

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I just get whatever the white towels are at Costco. They are $16 each, and they dry up my wet naked body adequately. https://www.costco.com/charisma-100%25-hygrocotton-towel-sets.product.100400043.html

The Wirecutter says to buy some $40-$100 (each!) towel https://www.rileyhome.com/spa-towel-collection https://www.frontgate.com/frontgate-resort-collection-26trade-3b-bath-towels/18414

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I got the frontgate ones and they're great but overpriced

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Can anyone recommend a light therapy lamp? It seems like from some brief research I just need anything with a full spectrum bulb?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Snowy posted:

Any of them in particular? The super-plush makes me a little suspicious, there’s also classic and ultra light

We have the super plush and they’re still like 80% as good as they were four years later. We only have two because it’s just the two of us so they’re used constantly.

We’ve also had the luxe sateen sheets for like four years and they’re in great shape. Completely happy with those two purchases.

Moot .1415926535 has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Dec 13, 2022

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Harriet Carker posted:

Can anyone recommend a light therapy lamp? It seems like from some brief research I just need anything with a full spectrum bulb?

I've been using one of these - https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-Spectrum-Brightness-Temperatures/dp/B08QJXVNSK - on my desk since last January and it's been totally fine. The brightest setting is really bright and I think it's made me feel a little better during the day, even if it might be placebo? IDK, i'm happy with it either way! Makes a decent keylight for Zoom too if you spend a lot of time on conference calls.

blunt has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Dec 13, 2022

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Harriet Carker posted:

A light therapy lamp is one thing I would not cheap out on. You need to be getting a very precise amount of light, at a very precise distance, and it generally needs to be angled down (something about where the light receptors are in your eye).

I went ham and got this one. It's big, it's stupid, it's kind of creaky and not super sturdy, but I have absolutely zero complaints about the brightness and color of the light:

Carex Day-Light Classic Plus Bright Light Therapy Lamp - 10,000 LUX At 12 Inches - LED Sun Lamp Mood Light and Sunlight Lamp https://a.co/d/7TaUwxV

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

null_pointer posted:

A light therapy lamp is one thing I would not cheap out on. You need to be getting a very precise amount of light, at a very precise distance, and it generally needs to be angled down (something about where the light receptors are in your eye).

10k lux is 10k lux no matter how you slice it, no? What does a more expensive one do? As far as the precise distance bit, that's just how far I put it away from me. I feel a bit skeptical but I'm curious to hear more of your reasoning.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Oh, absolutely. My reticence to go cheap is because light therapy lamps are not regulated. You can put up "10,000 lux!" on Amazon, with no consequences. I bought a reputable brand, recommended by several publications, in the hopes that my money was buying quality (and actually 10,000 lux).

That 19.99 therapy box that you're getting at Walmart? Probably isn't doing it. Caveat emptor as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is light therapy backed up by anything to begin with? If it’s doing stuff for you I’m delighted, but it seems like those blue light glasses that were popular some years ago.