Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

gently caress, I think that's what we were all fearing but hoping it wouldn't be the case. Thank you for the closure Nutapii, and condolences to his friends and family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ah gently caress. That's awful.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
That loving sucks :(

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
That's a real shame. One of the best posters on here who clearly knew his stuff. RIP.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rest in peace, twisto. We'll all miss you.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
gently caress that's poo poo, twisto was great :(

RIP

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Rest in peace Twisto. I hope the roads are always clear in the afterlife, and they tell you where in London the Edstone is buried.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A real loss, not just to the thread but to everyone who knew him. That really sucks.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nothing more to add, but twisto was one of the best posters, and as well as being a fount of obscure lore and a cracking storyteller, he seemed like an absolute gent. RIP dude

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'd wondered the worst but having confirmation is a scunner. He was a wealth of knowledge and a good egg. He will be missed

Thanks for letting us know.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Taken far too soon.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Sucks to hear.
Always wanted to ask him about those Mole People.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Ah gently caress, RIP to a good 'un

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nutapii posted:

Hello,

Goddamnedtwisto passed away earlier this year. He was in his forties.

On the forums he frequently shared his obscure knowledge of telecommunications, the cold war, and East London political/football/music history; to go with his unique voice and sense of humour. In real life, as well as his much-loved and shared dog and bikes, he had a family who miss him as do his friends from his involvement in the creative scene in London, which I don't think was as well-known here if at all.

I remember how much he treasured his privacy - thus being slightly less detailed than one would expect - but thought people should know. I'm putting this message in a few of the subforums he regularly posted in. I knew him slightly in real life; the lockdowns unfortunately put us out of contact a bit; but from his obituaries it was clear he had extended a helping hand and wisdom to others as he had here over the years.

Rest in peace mate.

poo poo. Thanks for letting us know.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

gently caress. Pouring one out for a real one. RIP GDT.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

That's a real shame. Always enjoyed his effort posts.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

:(

Rest well fella.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thank you for letting us know Nutapii. RIP twisto. :(

I still wonder what he'd have to say sometimes whenever I see something a little "huh, that's weird" that's in his wheelhouse, like why some London buses still use the fabric strip for the route/numbers where everywhere else has switched to digital signs, but I guess I'll never know now because I refuse to read any book by the sort of person who'd d write a book about London bus numbers throughout the ages, so it will remain a mystery forever.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
So sorry to read about Twisto. He is missed.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I always enjoyed twistoposts on all his niche interests.

RIP.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

poo poo. I met him in person just before the pandemic. RIP :(

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Only ever knew him as a poster, but he was one of the best ones I've seen online in my entire life. His ability to put together fascinating pieces of writing on subjects I never thought I'd have an interest in is something I envy and I think we will all miss him.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

feedmegin posted:

poo poo. I met him in person just before the pandemic. RIP :(

Someone needs the patio pals gangtag.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

God that sucks. Thank you for the closure, and he will be missed.

RIP GDT. :(

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

RIP Twisto

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Man that really sucks to hear :( Always enjoyed his posts and the forums (and world) will be a slightly less interesting and pleasant place for having lost him. RIP.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nutapii posted:

Hello,

Goddamnedtwisto passed away earlier this year. He was in his forties.

On the forums he frequently shared his obscure knowledge of telecommunications, the cold war, and East London political/football/music history; to go with his unique voice and sense of humour. In real life, as well as his much-loved and shared dog and bikes, he had a family who miss him as do his friends from his involvement in the creative scene in London, which I don't think was as well-known here if at all.

I remember how much he treasured his privacy - thus being slightly less detailed than one would expect - but thought people should know. I'm putting this message in a few of the subforums he regularly posted in. I knew him slightly in real life; the lockdowns unfortunately put us out of contact a bit; but from his obituaries it was clear he had extended a helping hand and wisdom to others as he had here over the years.

Rest in peace mate.

Hell and damnation, i'm very sorry to hear that... his contributions will be missed. RIP Twisto :(

Thank you for letting us know.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

RIP Twisto :(

sitnalisa
Dec 16, 2004

stupid virgin
This is very sad news. May the earth lie lightly upon him.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

I didn't know the guy as I'm relatively new here. But the outpouring of love and condolences is heartening. For all the bad rep this place gets, the people here are awesome.

RIP

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
RIP

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Ah drat :( RIP

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Rest in peace Twisto. When he didn't pop up with plane and helicopter data when her maj died, I figured he wouldn't be back ever, but I assumed he was just having a great time touching grass. A few weeks ago I had time to kill in London and went for a mooch around the Barbican off the back of a long running curiosity spurred by his council housing architecture effort post.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RIP twisto, his ancient av of the Landless Peasants Party guy is always the first thing that comes to mind when I think about the UKMT.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

RIP twisto, your old deek jackson av always made me smile.

The posts were pretty good too.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

e: lol q !=e

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
RIP. I was away from the UKMT thread for a while, but it did seem like a positive presence was missing from the thread when I returned.

Bobstar posted:

One thing I worry about is the longer the Tories keep driving public everything into the ground, the more unimaginable the scale of required improvement becomes, to take it from "brink of collapse" to "pretty good, actually"

I was reading an article earlier about GPs which I now can't find because the Graun's website is as bad as their politics, but it mentioned some aspect being overloaded by a factor of 2.

Which then reminded me of the class-size discussion from many threads ago, which I vaguely remember contained some "well actually" research that taking classes form 30+ to 22 kids didn't actually help that much... but that you'd need to go down to like 15 to see a big difference. Which a quick google shows is the smallest end of an OECD comparison chart (and coincidentally where I grew up, which I why I find 30 to be huge). Cf China nudging toward 40.

How do you sell that in the UK today? You can't even finish the sentence "we need to double..." before people start yelling about magic money trees. Better things aren't possible.

As terrible as Nullarbor were, 2010 would be a much less daunting starting point. Not sure what my point is, it just seems very insurmountable.
"We need to double the amount of teachers and classrooms" --> "That's too expensive" --> We need to half the number of students"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Goddamn that sucks re: Twisto. Only the good die young :(

Met him briefly once and was hoping to attend some goony things with him again, was a good guy

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I seem to have triggered Johnny Mercer's wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Well poo poo. Bye, Twisto 😞