Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

On my 2014 WRX, did the STI power steering + solid joint and Cobb OTS Stage 1 tune. And new spark plugs. It's fun to give the old car some TLC. Drives nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
2013 Crosstrek, 2.0 CVT. The car has started to refuse to let the key turn out of ACC to OFF occasionally, with both our recently purchased new key and the original key that we have. Cycling from ACC to ON and back while wiggling the key will get it to release eventually, but my wife has tasked me with fixing this ASAP.

I see an key lock solenoid on the cylinder, that I'm GUESSING locks the key from being removed if the trans isn't in park. The car hasn't had any problems shifting in/out of park, only turning they key to from OFF to ACC. I can't seem to locate any sort of electrical diagnostic I can perform on the solenoid itself, or I'd just rip the column apart and check that the solenoid is good. Am I wrong to just throw a $40 solenoid at it and see if that fixes the issue? Or does anyone have a link to a pinout on this solenoid that I could use to help check that it works, and I should look elsewhere for my issue?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That happened on my friend's '17 Forester, wound up being something in the shifter assembly, iirc. I'll ask him later today. Think it ran him around $300 for the dealership fix around 2 years ago.

This isn't a problem for manual trans equipped models, that I've heard, it's CVT specific.

E: in the meantime, when it does this, start the car again, shift from park to D back to park. Seemed to work for my friend when it happened to him while I was riding along.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 8, 2022

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That happened on my friend's '17 Forester, wound up being something in the shifter assembly, iirc. I'll ask him later today. Think it ran him around $300 for the dealership fix around 2 years ago.

This isn't a problem for manual trans equipped models, that I've heard, it's CVT specific.

E: in the meantime, when it does this, start the car again, shift from park to D back to park. Seemed to work for my friend when it happened to him while I was riding along.

I'll drive it around and see if this helps. I'd kind of ruled out the shift interlock solenoid, because usually I've had that lock it in P, even when depressing the brake pedal. But I suppose there is a corresponding sensor on the shift assembly to tell the key lock solenoid to lock the key.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
He said whatever needed replaced was in the center console around the shifter. He was too lazy/stoned to put effort into going into his glove box for the repair record. Probably a sensor.

E: Related service bulletin

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10155220-9999.pdf

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 8, 2022

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Just got word someone changed their mind on their order and the dealership is offering me theirs. Same specs (MT, WR Blue, Premium) but it had some accessories.

I decided that paying a bit more for cargo liners and floor mats I was already going to get aftermarket to save two months of waiting was a decent deal.

Coming in next week!

(Side note: cashing in savings bonds is a loving nightmare)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

He said whatever needed replaced was in the center console around the shifter. He was too lazy/stoned to put effort into going into his glove box for the repair record. Probably a sensor.

E: Related service bulletin

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10155220-9999.pdf

How was that not listed in Alldata when I was trying to figure out what was involved with locking the key in the ignition. Thanks! I'll probably start there, and see if the problem goes away.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I'm gonna test drive some forests and crosses tomorrow :)

I think it's down between those and Mazda CX-5 (or 30 or 50).

I'm curious if anyone else went through a similar decision?

I like subies but the Mazda's seem to have better safety ratings, especially on side impacts.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Keep in mind that the Subaru CVT isn't great and has a history of problems. It's your only option on the Forester, and the only option above base model trim on the Crosstrek (you can get a stick in the base model).

If you really prefer a Subaru, consider the extended warranty, at this point. The CVT runs about $6-7k to replace.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
The car arrived last night and even though paperwork and short bank hours meant I couldn't take it home, I did get to test drive it.

First try I forgot about the parking brake. Second try I got it in gear to troll around the dealership parking lot. Ez Pz driving around after that. Still not quite smooth on the gear changes yet, but for a literal first try, not bad.

gently caress is this a fun car to drive. They also cut me a deal on some winter tires since it's in the 30s already here and those summers are not gonna keep up.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Got new summer tires put on at the dealership last week, put snows on last night... and the dealership cross-threaded a nut. They let me cut about a dozen people to rectify the gently caress up, so I'm satisfied with the resolution but still annoyed it happened.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been putting it off but my 21 STi hit 5k miles recently, I still love it and I think I’m gonna go ahead and start working on getting an air oil separator on it.

Online says IAG is the way to go and I’m assuming I didn’t gunk up too much stuff in just 5k miles. Am I wrong on either?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Trip report on the new WRX:

Two days in and I'm loving it. Picked it up on a rainy, cold, nasty day as the sun went down and had to drive home over hills, across a highway, and onto some construction filled access roads, in the dark, with no more experience than two laps of the dealership. Stalled a few times but I got it to my local park with a nice, big, empty parking lot and practiced getting into first for two hours straight.

I think that's a success. Now two days later I'm driving it without a hitch outside of trying to navigate bumper to bumper poo poo on my local roads (but that was a nightmare even with my old automatic). I look forward to and find reasons to go driving just so I can play with my new toy. Haven't hit the boost much if any because of the break in period, but I'm also not babying the car and staying under 3k RPM strictly. If I gotta go fast, I go fast.

My main focus now is being able to get into gear quicker. As it stands I'm basically back to being 16 again and afraid to pull out into traffic because I'm still unsure just "where" the bite is going to come in. Most times I can get it if I go slow, but sometimes I gotta get going quicker. But that's going to come with practice. I'm already loads quicker and smoother in two days and maybe 4-5 drives than when I picked it up. Oh, also hillstarts, had a nightmare scenario happen in bumper to bumper on a steep hill and stalled like 4-5 times before I used the handbrake to get going. No damage beyond ego and angry drivers, but they were already angry and gently caress 'em.

Only downside: The exhaust drone on a cold start and at high idle (between 1000-1500 RPM) hit's my GF's misophonia super hard. At least the first time she got in the car with the seats down (had the Stock dunlops in the back because I got winter's put on at the dealer before pick up, which was a good idea because the day I brought it home was like 34F and raining). Like...it was making her nauseous and tearing up. It's 90% fixed with the seats back up and in place, but it's still there.

Which is a slight blessing in disguise because she has said I not only have permission (lol it's my car but ok) to get a new exhaust put on, but she's requesting it. So I'm looking at the ETS Cat Back with muffler and resonator. From what I've read that's on the quieter side that helps with said droning sound at idle and low speeds in 1st/2nd.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rolo posted:

I’ve been putting it off but my 21 STi hit 5k miles recently, I still love it and I think I’m gonna go ahead and start working on getting an air oil separator on it.

Online says IAG is the way to go and I’m assuming I didn’t gunk up too much stuff in just 5k miles. Am I wrong on either?

Anytime is a good time for a real aos. 5k miles is still brand new.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Crain posted:

Trip report on the new WRX:
Hey, great job. You're going to be a pro in no time.

My Forester is at the dealer. 2017 XT, 69k (nice) miles. I took it to a local shop because it was making a droning noise. Perfectly proportionate to tire speed. Didn't see anything in the treats, didn't see anything rubbing. Didn't seem to be louder when I opened the driver's side window and didn't seem to change with different pavement. So, Subarus being Subarus, I told the shop, "Hey, this is what's happening, maybe it's the right rear wheel bearings."

Got it back, "Nah, the bearings are good, there was something rubbing." Already knew that was bullshit and the noise didn't improve. I didn't want it to go until after Thanksgiving (since I'll be on the road), so I just shook my head and got a dealer appointment knowing that unless it's related to the CVT I'll be paying a huge dealer markup. Sick of it, don't care.

"Yeah, so it looks like it's your right rear wheel bearings."

Christ.

At least I got a loaner out of it. 2021 Forester. They look decent inside and out but fuuuuuuuuck is the CVT so much worse with 70 fewer horsepower and no S# mode. Unless they bring back a NA 2.5 (or turbocharged anything) with a manual in something hatch-adjacent, there is simply no way for me to convince myself ever to buy one of their cars again.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I would accept something like a DCT. I have a bit of hope for a hatch WRX since the Impreza is going full hatch, but I doubt I would buy a new Subaru again.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

carticket posted:

I would accept something like a DCT. I have a bit of hope for a hatch WRX since the Impreza is going full hatch, but I doubt I would buy a new Subaru again.
I forgot about the Impreza going full hatch, but yeah, my experience with the FXT has soured me on the brand and I also just really dislike some of the design changes they're made since I bought it. Getting rid of hardware controls in favor of touchscreen, doing weird poo poo like the steering wheel controls on my loaner not have a mute button FFS, they just seem like they don't think about what they're doing sometimes.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Are dual clutch transmissions worser than cvts all things considered or are they just costly and therefore not used? Seems like a better choice for a sport sedan than a shitbox cvt...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Because Subaru (Fuji heavy manufacturing) designed a CVT (with help from Jatco I think?) they can manufacture themselves and they’re going to put it in everything instead of paying someone else.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Majere posted:

Are dual clutch transmissions worser than cvts all things considered or are they just costly and therefore not used? Seems like a better choice for a sport sedan than a shitbox cvt...

Subaru resents the WRX and STi because???????

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Because Subaru (Fuji heavy manufacturing) designed a CVT (with help from Jatco I think?) they can manufacture themselves and they’re going to put it in everything instead of paying someone else.

Yeah that makes sense then. I mean for the "low" amount of wrx's they sell they could have used a better automatic for those models. Seems there are at least half a dozen companies making dct's now.

If the new sti is going all electric or hybrid...that means cvt for fucks sake.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm sure Subaru will totally fix the brand with their upcoming BEV (with the bad range and slow charging compared to its competition).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A hybrid would have a power sharing transmission which is different from Subaru’s CVT. If it’s going to exist very soon I’d put money on a Toyota transmission.

That makes me think of a new terrible angle for the “hatchback STI” monkey paw: Subaru Lexus UX.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

hobbesmaster posted:

A hybrid would have a power sharing transmission which is different from Subaru’s CVT. If it’s going to exist very soon I’d put money on a Toyota transmission.

That makes me think of a new terrible angle for the “hatchback STI” monkey paw: Subaru Lexus UX.

Are you thinking about Toyota's power sharing transmission? Because garbage CVTs are used with other brands' hybrids, where the electric motor is sandwiched between the engine and trans.

Toyota has a wholly unique hybrid transmission that basically uses a planetary gear set to split power. Synergy drive, I think they call it.

When I had a civic hybrid (gen 1), it was a lovely CVT with the motor stuffed between the engine and trans, no secondary input. Nothing stopping anyone from putting the CVT up to another honda engine of the time and it working. GM used the same layout, also.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Sorry guys but the investment money is all going to EVs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

daslog posted:

Sorry guys but the investment money is all going to EVs.

I'm putting way too much thought into a GR Corolla because it could very well be the last MT hot hatch ever

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

carticket posted:

Could you discuss a bit more why the dual-clutch transmission would be such a significant selling point to you?

I'm new to cars and researching potential purchases and Subies have such a solid general reputation. But you and that other poster seem quite putoff by the newest stuff.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

A DCT is usually in an exciting car while a CVT is always The Worst. I drove a Hyundai with a DCT, and you didn’t even notice it. A motorcycle with an up/down quickshifter is still really satisfying to use, even if it’s basically just pulling a lever. A DCT in a hot hatch could still be fun.

My Subaru has a CVT, and I don’t mind it, but I also don’t expect the car to be engaging or exciting.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
CVTs don't have gears like DCTs. They have "ranges" that optimize for torque and operate on a belt/cone type system. There's no holding second gear on a twisty downhill backroad to listen to the engine breathe and have snappy acceleration at modest speeds as physics plays with the contents of your stomach.

If your car is an appliance to you, a CVT is a fine thing, generally. If you enjoy cars beyond that level, even as a mild interest hobby, it represents giving up control to whatever the CVT thinks is best. That's usually fine for most people, but not all.

But every advancement in automotives always has detractors. Purists bitched about automatics, power steering, power brakes, traction control, etc, as they came to market and dominance through the generations. No reason to think our relative generations won't have detractors.

I will hate the day I have to give up stick shift or download an app for my car.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Since we’re in the Subaru thread on modern Subarus there are only two CVTs. The TR580 is rated to 250Nm of torque used starting in 2013 in the 4 cylinder NA outback, Impreza/crosstrek and forester. The TR690 was introduced in 2010, rated at 400Nm and is used on the turbos and the 6 cylinder outback.

They are both chain and pulley based, not rubber bands (belt and cone). The torque converter also spends almost all its time locked.

To just quote wikipedia:

quote:

The fifth generation Legacy/Outback and the JDM Subaru Exiga received a newly revised CVT under the Lineartronic name. It is a metal chain, pulley-based CVT, which is considered the most reliable, due to the simplicity of the pulley system and durability of the metal chain. In addition, the metal chain pulley system is generally quieter than other CVT designs.

In the US, the Lineartronic is available with the 2.5i engine in the Outback, Legacy and Forester(2014), and the 2.0 FB engine in the Impreza and slightly modified for the XV Crosstrek. In SE Asia this transmission is also available for the 2.0i engine for the 2010 and later Legacy Legacy Asia spec. Subaru claims that the transmission provides "uninterrupted power that maximizes fuel efficiency while keeping the engine at the optimal rev range". EPA mileage estimates for the CVT with the 2.5i, naturally aspirated based engine, claim 30 MPG highway (29 Outback, 31 Legacy).[1]

Lineartronic uses a specially modified torque converter to connect the engine to the transmission. It can slip like a traditional torque converter, but remains locked under all conditions except when coasting or traveling at very low speed. The persistent lockup condition under acceleration provides the efficiency and control of a clutch while still behaving much like a traditional planetary automatic transmission.

I assume the aggressive lock/unlock thing is part of why the transmission in the outback/ascent can get very confused when going from accelerating to coasting to accelerating again when say on an on ramp.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Could you discuss a bit more why the dual-clutch transmission would be such a significant selling point to you?

I'm new to cars and researching potential purchases and Subies have such a solid general reputation. But you and that other poster seem quite putoff by the newest stuff.

It wouldn't so much be a selling point, but it's a way for them to have computer control of the shifting while not putting a torque converter between the engine and wheels. Plus what others have said. They're usually very quick shifters, so if you're in manual mode it can be quite good. If my options were manual or DCT on a car that I wanted, I'd have to have a good think before coming to a decision.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I have very few issues with the DCT in my Golf, I think it's both learned from me and I've learned it's quirks too. It shifts far faster than I could in a manual and largely does what I expect it to when I put my foot down. It can be a bit clunky at really low speeds like parallel parking but that's my only qualm. I really only use the manual paddle shifters to drop gears going down steep hills to engine brake, which it usually does itself anyway.

Also I totally get what the previous post mentioned about exhaust drone on start idle in the 22 WRX, I didn't know there was a name for it but it makes me uncomfortable.

Aware fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 19, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Welp, here's hoping COBB customer service is friendly, my Accessport bricked 12 months and 2 days after I ordered it. Warranty is for 12.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
[quote="CRUSTY MINGE" post=""527833887"]

But every advancement in automotives always has detractors. Purists bitched about automatics, power steering, power brakes, traction control, etc, as they came to market and dominance through the generations. No reason to think our relative generations won't have detractors.
[/quote]

CVT in no way is an advancement. It is poo poo for automobile applications full stop. EVs are about to make them extinct and that's a great thing

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

For the record, and in case anyone gives a poo poo, I had both my rear wheel bearings replaced less than a week before warranty expired on my 2017 Impreza. Service at the dealer told me they go bad frequently, and local parts store couldn't keep them in stock.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stevobob posted:

For the record, and in case anyone gives a poo poo, I had both my rear wheel bearings replaced less than a week before warranty expired on my 2017 Impreza. Service at the dealer told me they go bad frequently, and local parts store couldn't keep them in stock.

Subaru wheel bearings going bad? Who ever hard of such a thing?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

stevobob posted:

I'm glad you got yours in while the warranty was active. I'm still loving pissed about mine.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Motronic posted:

Subaru wheel bearings going bad? Who ever hard of such a thing?

Not an empty quote. I'm coming up on about 100k since I replaced both of my rear bearings, and I'm pretty sure at least one is going bad again. I should just buy all 4 and replace them when I end up doing brakes on all 4 corners in the spring.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Start soaking those pinch bolts with penetrant now then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Oh, they were well antiseized with the copper stuff last time they were apart. I don't expect to have issues replacing them... this time. I'll have to see what is left that hasn't been replaced, I know I did all the LCA bushings 3-4 years ago, both ball joints the year before that, and both sway bar links were last year when the new motor went in, along with the sway bar bushings.