Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Extraordinary Attorney Woo is a good show. I think. I’ve only seen two episodes of it. These fuckin kdrama episodes are long, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Comedy specials by Neal Brennan ("Blocks" and "3 Mics"), Catherine Cohen ("The Twist?... She's Gorgeous!"), Fred Armisen ("Stand-Up for Drummers"), and anything by John Mulaney.
RRR (my favorite movie of 2022)
Sorry to Bother You
Mr. Right
The Nice Guys
Oh, Hello! on Broadway
Better Call Saul (if you haven't seen it already, and I'm not sure if the last season is up yet)
Dead To Me (three short, easily bingeable seasons)
Hail, Caesar!
The Losers
The Gray Man

I was aware of Neal Brennon and that he was a funny writer, but his stand up is really well done. And the end hits hard, not in a comedy special way :unsmith:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

How can vampires be on social media if they can't take selfies

Cameras have mirrors, right

How can anyone see vampires considering that eyes are the mirrors of the soul?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Do you also have silvered corneas, lass :stonklol:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The more I watched Wednesday the less I liked it. It started off strong with the piranhas in the pool. Ortega herself is pitch perfect. Unfortunately the script calls for her to align too closely with conventional morals. After expressing regret she didn't kill the kid in the pool, she's suddenly disdainful of her father on the suggestion he might be a murderer. She's all too ready to work with the sheriff. From the minute she finds out she's apparently supposed to destroy the school she decides she needs to stop it.

I almost rolled my eyes out at the "Werewolf Conversion Therapy" stuff about the cishet blonde girl, and then they go and make her wolf out anyway. There's an entire outsider group that actually are irreedemable monsters. Apparently anyone can be a Hyde but the only one we see is the son of another Hyde so there's that message muddled. The only reason they exist is because werewolves are the good guys.

Ultimately I feel the writers are using the trappings of weirdness - both monster weird and queer weird - as a veneer over a teenage girl with communication issues and aangst without really getting it. Wednesday selling fudge to german tourists and her cello solo as the statue burned could have been from the 90's movies though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alhazred posted:

"How can vampires be real if our eyes aren't real" - Jaden Smith, probably

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

In the British vampire show "Ultraviolet" with Idris Elba (not to be confused with the movie of the same), there is a scene in which a woman asks a vampire what it feels like to not be able to see yourself in a mirror. The vampire replies: "When I look into your eyes, I don't see myself; there is only you."

Anyway, Ultraviolet is highly recommended. I don't think it is streaming anywhere, but try to track down the DVD's.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
In my eyes, Van Wilder turned into an assassin and then Deadpool happened.

Am I missing out not subscribing to paramount plus?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pillowpants posted:

The big things on Paramount+ for me are Star Trek, Reno 911, and the Indiana Jones movies. I think that's all I've watched there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pillowpants posted:

The new Beavis and Butt-Head movie and series were both phenomenal, and Maverick is about to hit. Not worth a long time subscription but you can often find $20 deals

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Not really, they have a few programs held hostage but if you aren't already getting it to watch them, you can skip it. The website is also the worst of any streaming site, it literally cuts off episodes early, before the credits, to start autoplaying the next episode. If you don't click "continue watching credits" really fast, you have to go back a page and re-seek to where you left off, but not too late because it auto-skips to next episode if you try to play it from exactly where it booted you off.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SimonChris posted:

In the British vampire show "Ultraviolet" with Idris Elba (not to be confused with the movie of the same), there is a scene in which a woman asks a vampire what it feels like to not be able to see yourself in a mirror. The vampire replies: "When I look into your eyes, I don't see myself; there is only you."

Anyway, Ultraviolet is highly recommended. I don't think it is streaming anywhere, but try to track down the DVD's.

Oh yeah, Ultraviolet owns. The paedo episode is something else, lmfao.

Edit: It is on the Tube of You if goons are looking for it.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Holy poo poo, Welcome to Chippendales is... good? I'm shocked. I thought they'd go all Ryan Murphy and sensationalize everything to the point of no return, but it balances typical Hulu T&A with pretty compelling acting, writing, and yes, choreography.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I've been watching Welcome to Wrexham in EU Disney+ and while I actually like the show, it starts to sort make me irritated with Ryan Reynolds.

I get that the idea is that he is supposed to be the aloof disconnected from reality Hollywood guy, but he really genuinely does not seem to *get* the small-medium post-industry town, even though he isn't Hollywood royalty, he is from Canada and hit his fame late in his 30's.

Rob McElhenney is from Philadelphia and he at least seems to somewhat connect with the idea and problems of the city and the understands the problems, instead of just being nice to the people he meets there and in general, not being an idiot about it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

After watching a few episodes of Yellowstone, it clicked with me as to why it's so loving popular: It's basically a revived Dallas, except the thing that everyone's fighting over is a cattle ranch and a Native reservation, instead of a cattle ranch that has oil underneath it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I was just watching How to with John Wilson on a plane, sitting in an aisle seat. I certainly did not see two tied up guys getting jerked off coming! That was awkward.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Any of y'all watching Tulsa King on Paramount+?

Sly stallone is good, but seemed a bit stiff in the first two episodes. Third one is tonight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nihilarian posted:

The more I watched Wednesday the less I liked it. It started off strong with the piranhas in the pool. Ortega herself is pitch perfect. Unfortunately the script calls for her to align too closely with conventional morals. After expressing regret she didn't kill the kid in the pool, she's suddenly disdainful of her father on the suggestion he might be a murderer. She's all too ready to work with the sheriff. From the minute she finds out she's apparently supposed to destroy the school she decides she needs to stop it.

I almost rolled my eyes out at the "Werewolf Conversion Therapy" stuff about the cishet blonde girl, and then they go and make her wolf out anyway. There's an entire outsider group that actually are irreedemable monsters. Apparently anyone can be a Hyde but the only one we see is the son of another Hyde so there's that message muddled. The only reason they exist is because werewolves are the good guys.

Ultimately I feel the writers are using the trappings of weirdness - both monster weird and queer weird - as a veneer over a teenage girl with communication issues and aangst without really getting it. Wednesday selling fudge to german tourists and her cello solo as the statue burned could have been from the 90's movies though.
I think the basic premise of the show kind of goes into that basic moral convention idea. Like the setup of the show is basically “Oh Wednesday, it’s so cute you’re like a serial killer but like… you’re not really one are you? Maybe we should send you to this school where you might fit in better and might not actually be a serial killer?” It’s a weird line the show constantly walks especially when Gomez and Mortician show up and waffle between the classic Addams Family (murder is cool) and the shows (murder is kind of bad).

Ultimately the show is basically about Wednesday actually growing to care about people and be human. So like I think it’s all built in but it’s also a not entirely resolved change that you either go with or don’t. I found the show cute and fun but I wouldn’t try and sell it to anyone who just wasn’t feeling it or was hoping for something darker. But it’s Tim Burton and Addams Family so I dunno. It feels about as dark and silly as it should be to me.

I didn’t get the werewolf conversion stuff though. That was clumsy at best.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Like I know suicide is a big subject but it is kind of goofy to have a special warning before tonight's Rick & Morty as well as a mention of the suicide prevention hotline after when the suicide in question involves the character "Piss Master"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Escobarbarian posted:

Extraordinary Attorney Woo is a good show. I think. I’ve only seen two episodes of it. These fuckin kdrama episodes are long, man.

It's just 16 episodes. Remember stuff like Star Trek TNG would have 26 hour long episodes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's just 16 episodes. Remember stuff like Star Trek TNG would have 26 hour long episodes.

Yeah but each episode is like 90 mins.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are more like 70 minutes long, but yeah that's true. You don't need to binge the show. It's more like a traditional episodic House MD type show so just put it on whenever without worrying about the ongoing plot.

Also I know there's approximately a billion remakes in the works in every language imaginable but I just know the American version will somehow be the worst one.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 28, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When you’re me and you Consume like a maniac it’s just easier to go for the ones that don’t have 75 minute episodes when catching up on stuff. I do aim to finish it by the end of the year along with My Brilliant Friend, Sprung, Pantheon, Cabinet of Curiosities, Good Fight, The Cro-look I’ll try okay

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Michael Che on Ziwe is an utterly incredible interview. It’s unbelievable how he keeps using the word “marginalised” incorrectly after learning it like he’s The Dude. This dude was the head writer of the world’s biggest comedy show? For five years??

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Nuts and Gum posted:

I like so much of Fleishman Is in Trouble except I struggle to watch Claire Danes be a huge bitch.

I’m recently divorced with 2 kids and the show has hit me like a sack of bricks. The only part I don’t identify with it Toby banging his way thru Manhattan with minimal effort. My online dating escapades couldn’t put up those numbers in a hundred summers

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Escobarbarian posted:

Michael Che on Ziwe is an utterly incredible interview. It’s unbelievable how he keeps using the word “marginalised” incorrectly after learning it like he’s The Dude. This dude was the head writer of the world’s biggest comedy show? For five years??

Well, I mean, look at how the show has been for the last few years. They've been using major celebrities and former cast members as a crutch. The only good sketches are ones that were just saying insane poo poo Fox news said word for word, or a sketch very clearly written by a host that is an accomplished comedy writer.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh yeah, you're not going to beat that Chet Hanks interview, but Michael Che really really tried.

He just radiated contempt the entire time, I have no idea what he thought he was doing there.

Escobarbarian posted:

When you’re me and you Consume like a maniac it’s just easier to go for the ones that don’t have 75 minute episodes when catching up on stuff. I do aim to finish it by the end of the year along with My Brilliant Friend, Sprung, Pantheon, Cabinet of Curiosities, Good Fight, The Cro-look I’ll try okay

I stayed on top of things this year, pretty happy with myself. I've only got Babylon Berlin, Kingdom Hospital, We Own This City, Somewhere Boy and Tokyo Vice on my backlog.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still watching through the original Riget. Gonna be honest, I don’t love it, but I definitely want to see the new one. (btw the English title is The Kingdom. Kingdom Hospital is the 2004 Stephen King adaptation)

Babylon Berlin s4 is the worst one for sure but it still has a lot of good/fun moments

I do not know anything about Somewhere Boy!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

I’m recently divorced with 2 kids and the show has hit me like a sack of bricks. The only part I don’t identify with it Toby banging his way thru Manhattan with minimal effort. My online dating escapades couldn’t put up those numbers in a hundred summers

The show was pretty clear that the reason he's getting all those hits is because he's a doctor.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Medullah posted:

The show was pretty clear that the reason he's getting all those hits is because he's a doctor.

oh are woman not impressed by my credentials as a mid-level IT nerd?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Well, I mean, look at how the show has been for the last few years. They've been using major celebrities and former cast members as a crutch. The only good sketches are ones that were just saying insane poo poo Fox news said word for word, or a sketch very clearly written by a host that is an accomplished comedy writer.

They made a sketch mocking the Try Guys video about firing their co-creator for having a workplace affair with a subordinate. It portrayed them as a bunch of doofy whiny nerds mad their friend didn't mention he kissed a girl.

The writer of the sketch was a personal friend of the fired co-creator.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rappaport posted:

The way modern cameras work is that the light the chip receives is transformed into electrical charges, which are then read as the digital image. Having just looked it up, apparently the vampires not casting reflections had to do with most mirrors of the day being made with a silver coating, and silver is all sorts of woo-woo magic stuff, but camera chips are just silicon and other semi-conductor junk, maybe they'd take a picture?

This is a good post.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My parents are absolute psychos in the ways that they pick stuff to watch. They just pick random movies that "look good" and they invariably are sub-25% RT score movies. Anyway, I saw the new romcom from the Molyneux sisters and now I have no faith that Deadpool 3 will be any good

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nuts and Gum posted:

I was aware of Neal Brennon and that he was a funny writer, but his stand up is really well done. And the end hits hard, not in a comedy special way :unsmith:
the whole thing with the blocks was reminding me of In & Of Itself all show, then it ends and says Directed by Derek DelGaudio and i was like Ohh yeah that makes sense.

admittedly i was a little in and out while my wife played this special but i felt like the ending didnt connect well enough with the rest of the show though. Like the whole show hes like "yeah im kind of a dick lol, idk why i always act like larry david from curb like this." basically nothing that indicated any level of seriousness about any of it, and even with the blocks just very lightly referencing them or connecting them to the material at all (as opposed to in & of itself where the spotlight moves frmo one to the next very clearly or whatever).

Then all of a sudden at the end it's just like "Heres some home footage me getting electroshock therapy, some of me getting ultra electrashock therapy for people who need bigger shocks, and here i am being lobotomized" and it's like holy poo poo what? And then, this guy who was just being kind of like "I'm a liberal douche lmao!" all special is like "i just gotta.. learn how to be me" and i just felt like well this is a u-turn? Then they do the block lighting silhouette reveal which was certainly a cool effect but i was more just thinking like, where on earth did this come from? Like i do think making fun of the blocks for being a stupid waste of money throughout and then revealing hah actually theyre cool was fun, but they were mostly just kinda there during the show. I dont know what most of them were about.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man I'm really liking this season of the White Lotus. I went from rooting for Portia but now I'm ready for her to get hosed over hard.

I think I like this season more, I'm invested in all of the storylines. And I don't see happy endings coming.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Medullah posted:

Man I'm really liking this season of the White Lotus. I went from rooting for Portia but now I'm ready for her to get hosed over hard.

I think I like this season more, I'm invested in all of the storylines. And I don't see happy endings coming.

What’s she done that’s so bad, other than wearing ugly clothes?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

wizardofloneliness posted:

I just didn't like the way she went hot to cold with the kid who's name I can't remember. Unless I missed a scene where he did something awful that caused her to stop being into him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rappaport posted:

The way modern cameras work is that the light the chip receives is transformed into electrical charges...
Unfortunately the circuit board and wires carrying that information have silvered components, which filters out the demonic essences and gives you a 100% clean Godly image.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Medullah posted:

I just didn't like the way she went hot to cold with the kid who's name I can't remember. Unless I missed a scene where he did something awful that caused her to stop being into him.

Agreed, but she said several times she is her own worst enemy.

I will say this season is not as funny as season 1, but it doesn’t need to be and it is great on its own. Also, I know people love to gush about Alexandra Daddario from season 1, but give me Simona Tabasco as Lucia any day of the week.

wizardofloneliness posted:

I don’t think they are ugly. They just make me feel old since I don’t get her fashion.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

nate fisher posted:

I don’t think they are ugly. They just make me feel old since I don’t get her fashion.

I think I read that Portia's actress actually styled herself, with the thought process of "How would 'someone who doesn't fully know who they are yet' dress?"

nate fisher posted:

but give me Sabrina Impacciatore as Valentina any day of the week.

Fixed. :colbert:

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 29, 2022