Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.random
May 7, 2007

Someone make :capitalism: but with crobear saying “That’s Game Development” tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

.random posted:

Someone make :capitalism: but with crobear saying “That’s Game Development” tia
A holy trinity with :wtchris: and :crobear:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

So many concerned citizens, thankfully it's not the paying ones :D

Repetitive Stress Injury Galaxy

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The SC sub is coming very close to FUD.

The concept-ion…

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
welcome to hell(o)

• capital ship gameplay and design still being hashed out
  • Turbulent in charge of solving/inventing these gameplay systems
  • nothing "set in concrete" yet, some ideas include better LODs on capital ships to reduce or eliminate framerate issues, removal of "extraneous" areas to free up overhead, and massive reduction in player crew
  • this reduction in player count aboard capital ships means that instead of five dozen players, the majority of crew space would be occupied by NPCs, brining the player count "in line with our 3-to-1 rule" (thought it was 9 to one?)
  • "keeping player headcounts to around two dozen or lower" with a sweet spot of "around fifteen" players per capital ship
  • this would allow multiple capital ships on a single server, with a max target of 4 per server and would be a departure from the "one capital ship per server" current design
  • NPCs would crew the "more mundane or day-to-day" operations of the ship, but would also include some combat roles, such as "turrets and boarding parties"
  • these NPCs at "tier 0" would not be able to be seen walking or doing tasks around the ship
  • instead these "tier 0 crewmen" would be just names seen at specific consoles, expanding eventually to be fully interactable and seen on board
  • the lore team has written up over a hundred thousand backstories that can be mixed to produce unique histories for each NPC crewman
  • "Once a crewman has dedicated themselves to you and your fleet, their name, backstory, stats and specialties are locked in for you, and only you."
  • interactions with every crewman can have a bevvy of different options, including romance and quest paths "as deep as Mass Effect or any other BioWare game"
  • expect the first rollout of NPCs and Idris capital ship gameplay "no later than" Q4 2026, with an internal target of 2025
  • which coincidentally is also the SQ42 Prelude/First Strike internal release (hahahahahhahahaha)
  • an absolutely staggering amount of man hours and monies have been spent on SQ42 cutscenes, with "over a hundred million dollars" spent and a "majority of manpower dedicated to finishing them"
  • while this includes filming, actors and the studio, the biggest portion has been spent in post production
  • a new Chinese firm has begun to help with these scenes, outsourced because Turbulent couldn't "find enough butts to fill seats"

I'm going to end this here because the next write up is absolutely loving crazy and I'm stripping out people's names, addresses and other identifying information because Jesus loving Christ it's a lol for the ages

a little preview

quote:

With my state solidly in the rearview, I only had another few hours ahead of me. Question after question popped into my mind as the blacktop sped beneath me. What was I going to say? Was I going to camp outside the guy's house like some private eye? Should I head straight up to the door, knock three times and hope he doesn't shoot me? Is this even the right address? And, of course, "What the gently caress am I doing?"

When he did answer the door, he didn't shoot or chase me away like a crazy person. Instead, he told me everything I wanted to know about Star Citizen, his several business on the grey market, and where, exactly, Star Citizen's record fundraising is coming from.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

lol at the paypigs getting salty at their dom not giving them a cargo module for a mere 5k stinking dollars. Guess what fuckos? Since everything is fully physicalized you can just drop the stuff in the space the cargo hold would be at!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

• "keeping player headcounts to around two dozen or lower" with a sweet spot of "around fifteen" players per capital ship

I'd love to see CIGs attempt at even getting this to work.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:discourse:

Can't wait for Episode 2!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

oh, so MonocleCat is a stalker too, great.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Voyager posted:

oh, so MonocleCat is a stalker too, great.

That's him in the wheelchair!

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
lol

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol the “tier 0” capital ship plans and timeframe sound too perfectly CIG not to be true.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheAgent posted:

welcome to hell(o)

• nothing "set in concrete" yet, some ideas include better LODs on capital ships to reduce or eliminate framerate issues, removal of "extraneous" areas to free up overhead, and massive reduction in player crew
  • this reduction in player count aboard capital ships means that instead of five dozen players, the majority of crew space would be occupied by NPCs, brining the player count "in line with our 3-to-1 rule" (thought it was 9 to one?)
  • this would allow multiple capital ships on a single server, with a max target of 4 per server and would be a departure from the "one capital ship per server" current design
  • NPCs would crew the "more mundane or day-to-day" operations of the ship, but would also include some combat roles, such as "turrets and boarding parties"
  • these NPCs at "tier 0" would not be able to be seen walking or doing tasks around the ship
  • instead these "tier 0 crewmen" would be just names seen at specific consoles, expanding eventually to be fully interactable and seen on board
  • the lore team has written up over a hundred thousand backstories that can be mixed to produce unique histories for each NPC crewman
  • "Once a crewman has dedicated themselves to you and your fleet, their name, backstory, stats and specialties are locked in for you, and only you."
  • interactions with every crewman can have a bevvy of different options, including romance and quest paths "as deep as Mass Effect or any other BioWare game"
  • expect the first rollout of NPCs and Idris capital ship gameplay "no later than" Q4 2026, with an internal target of 2025
  • which coincidentally is also the SQ42 Prelude/First Strike internal release (hahahahahhahahaha)
  • an absolutely staggering amount of man hours and monies have been spent on SQ42 cutscenes, with "over a hundred million dollars" spent and a "majority of manpower dedicated to finishing them"
  • while this includes filming, actors and the studio, the biggest portion has been spent in post production
  • a new Chinese firm has begun to help with these scenes, outsourced because Turbulent couldn't "find enough butts to fill seats"

I'm going to end this here because the next write up is absolutely loving crazy and I'm stripping out people's names, addresses and other identifying information because Jesus loving Christ it's a lol for the ages

a little preview

quote:

With my state solidly in the rearview, I only had another few hours ahead of me. Question after question popped into my mind as the blacktop sped beneath me. What was I going to say? Was I going to camp outside the guy's house like some private eye? Should I head straight up to the door, knock three times and hope he doesn't shoot me? Is this even the right address? And, of course, "What the gently caress am I doing?"

When he did answer the door, he didn't shoot or chase me away like a crazy person. Instead, he told me everything I wanted to know about Star Citizen, his several business on the grey market, and where, exactly, Star Citizen's record fundraising is coming from.

:fap:

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

TheAgent posted:

a little preview

:f5:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MiniatureInbornBoaconstrictor-mobile.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

welcome to hell(o)

a little preview

Don't stop The Agent-sama! I'm almost there! :shlick:

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022

TheAgent posted:

welcome to hell(o)

a little preview

Agent, dont let a cease and desist stop you getting Part 2 out and read

Bushboy2000 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 28, 2022

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

I don't know why these backers are upset that modules are all being sold separately and not included with the basic ship they're buying.

After all, the people who do buy the modules separately won't be getting modules, either.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I think the plan is perfect: throw them a little insult like modules not included and they will forget this is another large concept ship that will never be released.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

welcome to hell(o)

a little preview

ahahaha this is exquisite

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Don't stop The Agent-sama! I'm almost there! :shlick:

Please stay hydrated and have appropriate breaks.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
I hope SQ42's Prelude ends up being one of those FMV games that's 80% cutscenes with real actors, would be great!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Happy Thanksgiving weekend everyone

Tane

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Predicting it has something to do with the subject of this guys book :)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58725007-butler-to-the-world

Also an interview out today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHYJ8O-weLk

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
My god, 2025 as the optimistic target year for release of SQ42… just mind boggling

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Star posted:

My god, 2025 as the optimistic target year for release of SQ42… just mind boggling

Monocle cat will be 64 then. Time flies when you're having fun.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

TheAgent posted:

welcome to hell(o)

[*]instead these "tier 0 crewmen" would be just names seen at specific consoles, expanding eventually to be fully interactable and seen on board

[*]interactions with every crewman can have a bevvy of different options, including romance and quest paths "as deep as Mass Effect or any other BioWare game"
Romancing some name seen on the console? Backers are used to falling in love with JPGs, but this is a new level of abstraction. Never done before!

Also :lol: at giving SQ56 release dates that are somehow further and further in the future. It's somehow the opposite of how normal release dates function.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

TheAgent :eightbux: posted:

Scarily accurate to CInG, some real rest-of-the-loving-owl passive-voice stuff here :kiss:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Also: wait a minute - the whole point of Crick Robbers going to the UK was to get Squits 69 completed and out in two years, wasn't it? And now it's going to take 5 (4 + the 1 year just past) just to get the tiniest starter piece?

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

Only Kindness posted:

Also: wait a minute - the whole point of Crick Robbers going to the UK was to get Squits 69 completed and out in two years, wasn't it? And now it's going to take 5 (4 + the 1 year just past) just to get the tiniest starter piece?

Yes but that's two crobear years, not human ones. :crobear:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Only Kindness posted:

Get out of here with your FUD! We all know he's already absolved himself of sticking to timescales/schedules/anything remotely resembling normal game development processes:trustme:.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Only Kindness posted:

The longer it takes the more perfect SQ54 has to be for it not to absolutely shake the confidence of the project to it's very core. And as such Roberts is going to need a few more years of mocap to make it shine.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Only Kindness posted:

The arrival of :crobear: probably meant they had to scrap and redo lot of stuff. His influence never results in faster development.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

"and where, exactly, Star Citizen's record fundraising is coming from."

Where!!!!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

My bet is on the Uppsala Connection

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Calling it now:

Answer the call... 2026!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

TheAgent posted:

welcome to hell(o)

a little preview

imagine the cutaway "needle - vein - pupil dilate" shot from Requiem For a Dream here because man this hits me just right

MORE

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

trucutru posted:

Calling it now:

Answer the call... 2026!

FUD! It's ready when it's ready you apostate and not before. Remember CIG don't owe you anything, you've pledged to make this game happen, you haven't purchased anything and if Squadron54 never releases, hell at least they tried.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Christ Robbers has about three times as many developers and they work non-stop, all three shifts around the world instead of just one, so development is allowed to take 3x3 times as long.

That's how this works, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

orcane posted:

Christ Robbers has about three times as many developers and they work non-stop, all three shifts around the world instead of just one, so development is allowed to take 3x3 times as long.

That's how this works, right?

Probably. Combined with the mythical man-month and Chris Roberts' "management" style, 3 x 3 seems fairly optimistic.