Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Throatwarbler posted:

People in the covid thread jokingly call covid airborne HIV. Given the level of understanding we now have of HIV and the theraputics available to "long HIV" sufferers vs long Covid, it's not an exaggeration

lol this again. you people are loving maniacs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They should have let isolated provinces (i.e. Hainan) do their own experiments of easing up. Feeling the covid stone to cross the river so to speak. I am not being sarcastic.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Kindest Forums User posted:

Liberals are loving obsessed with other states oppressing their people. Like freaks they get off on that poo poo. Seeing any of forms of civil discontent gives them an endorphin rush. Theyre desperate for it. theyll take anything to maintain the illusion they're the dominant species of all that is good and pure. The more brutal another countries citizens are treated the better the high. When a "internationally recognized" institution like the UN whisper the word genocide into a liberal's ear, their eyes immediately roll back into their skull, their mouth drops open with saliva slipping by their lips, and their consciousness goes into a state of pure euphoria. Nothing will ever beat the high of pure strain mass death.

i was on the guardian (for world cup news, otherwise i avoid that trash) and anti covid zero in china was naturally the top headline

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

liberals literally only want one thing and it's loving disgusting

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Listen, if the Guardians is not covering China, they would be covering world cup human right/pollution/safety/anything non western issues wall to wall. So Qatar dodged a bullet there.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Listen, if the Guardians is not covering China, they would be covering world cup human right/pollution/safety/anything non western issues wall to wall. So Qatar dodged a bullet there.

that's very unfair. they do cover western issues, like republicans and tories being bad. for some reason when there was a genuine left alternative to the tories a few years ago they didn't like that much either, very strange

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

They should have let isolated provinces (i.e. Hainan) do their own experiments of easing up. Feeling the covid stone to cross the river so to speak. I am not being sarcastic.

They are letting Taiwan experiment with COVID policy

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
you can't maintain "zero covid" with masks and ventilation lol, especially not with omicron and especially with an immunologically naïve population.

americans who only experienced covid in america should stfu in my opinion... there's a bunch of mitigation that can be done through a suppression strategy, and it's stupid to pretend abandoning elimination means giving up.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

indigi posted:

lol this again. you people are loving maniacs

yep i'd rather this thread was free of this kind of stuff

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

tristeham posted:

Dynamic Zero Covid thread

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

They are letting Taiwan experiment with COVID policy

I don't know how the Covid open up will turn out in China (depends very much on the popular variants in 22 and 23), but it's possible they should just copy Taiwan's half rear end open up strategy. BTW the ruling party still gets punished in the election.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zodium posted:

liberals literally only want one thing and it's loving disgusting

:hmmrona:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Not So Fast posted:

Dynamic Zero Covid thread

Welcome to Dynamic Zero

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

exmarx posted:

you can't maintain "zero covid" with masks and ventilation lol, especially not with omicron and especially with an immunologically naïve population.

americans who only experienced covid in america should stfu in my opinion... there's a bunch of mitigation that can be done through a suppression strategy, and it's stupid to pretend abandoning elimination means giving up.

Well the question is building immunity in a safe as possible way in a reasonable amount of population. Most Chinese people at this point have had at least three vaccinations, zero COVID wasn’t pointless.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

tristeham posted:

You'd rather this thread was free of discussion of COVID or its long term consequences? This thread about the only country in the world that hasn't had its entire population infected several times over?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Spherical Sponge posted:

You'd rather this thread was free of discussion of COVID or its long term consequences? This thread about the only country in the world that hasn't had its entire population infected several times over?

is covid worse than HIV?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can't they just go to Hong Kong if they want to see how it looks like? Or did they get it back under control there?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i say swears online posted:

is covid worse than HIV?

its got more letters so yes

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

i say swears online posted:

is covid worse than HIV?

On the population level? Probably.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

A Spherical Sponge posted:

shut the hell up

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Well the question is building immunity in a safe as possible way in a reasonable amount of population. Most Chinese people at this point have had at least three vaccinations, zero COVID wasn’t pointless.

to be fair to the loving lunatics in the covid thread (next SA killer will deffo be a regular from there) it doesn't look like there's effective "immunity building" with covid given it takes the immune system about 8 months-a year to fully rebound from a case with moderate symptoms and we have next to no comprehensive data on what if any deleterious effects asymptomatic cases have

I don't think there's a way to open up in any sort of scientifically "safe" way

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

indigi posted:

to be fair to the loving lunatics in the covid thread (next SA killer will deffo be a regular from there) it doesn't look like there's effective "immunity building" with covid given it takes the immune system about 8 months-a year to fully rebound from a case with moderate symptoms and we have next to no comprehensive data on what if any deleterious effects asymptomatic cases have

I don't think there's a way to open up in any sort of scientifically "safe" way

Looking at the data, it does seem there are improvements in immunity and mild/very mild cases seem to be the norm at this point. Also, there is a trade off for anything and you can’t open up without some deaths, that said the deaths in China actually are still very low and it may mean it would look very different than an opening in May 2020.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

there's still a good chance the medical system is overwhelmed and there are excess deaths not immediately attributable to covid, as well as covid deaths

The government can't go on TV and say that or w/e tho cause it will look like they know there's a weakness in the medical system and didn't do anything about it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Antonymous posted:

there's still a good chance the medical system is overwhelmed and there are excess deaths not immediately attributable to covid, as well as covid deaths

The government can't go on TV and say that or w/e tho cause it will look like they know there's a weakness in the medical system and didn't do anything about it.

I mean it doesn’t seem like it is overwhelming the system at this point. There may be excess deaths but it may simply be that there is already fairly high levels of immunity and the cases are contagious but generally mild.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

covid zero is a cool policy but i would like china to do whatever makes the sa covid thread freak out the most

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Looking at the data, it does seem there are improvements in immunity and mild/very mild cases seem to be the norm at this point. Also, there is a trade off for anything and you can’t open up without some deaths, that said the deaths in China actually are still very low and it may mean it would look very different than an opening in May 2020.

It looks better than the same time last year, more or less the first time you can really say that, but I wouldn't declare victory before we're well into spring. After all we've had the same arguments about hybrid immunity last year already and that turned out to not be the case.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

It looks better than the same time last year, more or less the first time you can really say that, but I wouldn't declare victory before we're well into spring. After all we've had the same arguments about hybrid immunity last year already and that turned out to not be the case.

Well the question is what victory looks like, and arguably it is simply immunity building in the population to the point that more severe cases are minimal.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Well the question is what victory looks like, and arguably it is simply immunity building in the population to the point that more severe cases are minimal.

that's not really building immunity so much as culling the vulnerable.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

shut the hell up

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

or what

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

We still don't know if that is even a thing though. As far as I can see every protection you can measure wanes with time.

Zodium posted:

And that probably takes a few generations to get to some stable state. Not that great of an idea.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ardennes posted:

that's just Open Biden

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zodium posted:

Well the cat is out of the bag, and the question is what is China going to do at this point down the road.

indigi posted:

that's just Open Biden

It isn’t but also what do you expect Beijing do at this point?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hopefully they do masks, vaccines and ventilation instead of "building immunity"

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

Well the cat is out of the bag, and the question is what is China going to do at this point down the road.

among other things hopefully an aggressive campaign of adopting PPE

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The current mrna vaccine regime used in the west is about 30% effective in preventing serious illness after about 4-6 months, depending on how immune evasive the circulating variant is. It provided negligible protection against long covid. There is no evidence that having 4 or 5 or 10 shots will confer long term immunity or meaningful protection from long covid at the population level. Paxlovid is very effective against acute covid, until a resistant variant takes hold which will likely happen soon. Paxlovid seems about 20%-30% effective at preventing long covid. You get to roll the dice 3 to 5 times a year, since neither vaccines nor infection confer any sort of long term immunity from infection.

The US has had by far the best response amongst western countries in terms of pharmaceutical interventions. In America, you can get your choice of every kind of effective vaccine (Moderna, BioNtech, Novavax) at no cost regardless of insurance status at any number of convenient locations nationwide. You can also get Paxlovid for free (paid by the government), again with very little vetting. The US has an unusually large number of ICU beds and capacity, because ICUs are actually very profitable for hospitals - I think of all the other rich countries, only Germany come close because they somehow ended up/inherited a huge excess capacity in the former GDR. Living in America is the absolute best possible scenario for covid-avoiders outside of China. I just bought a bunch of Lucira molecular (near PCR level accuracy) covid tests on Amazon that cost me probably $10/piece out the door. The shitshows in places like Canada/UK/Italy are horrifying by comparison.

In America well over a million have died, probably a million more give or take will die each year going forward from both acute and chronic covid, and millions will be permanently disabled and unemployable. There was a huge increase in the labor participation rate for disabled people in 2020-21 that likely won't be repeated. America is essentially like one of those sub Saharan African countries where Malaria or Schistosomiasis is endemic and will kill or disable a single digit percentage of the population every year, and that's just the will of Allah. At least American households will maintain their Kalashnikovs better.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90795083/the-employment-rate-for-disabled-workers-is-higher-than-it-has-been-in-years

China doesn't have anywhere close to the kind of medical system capacity that the US does.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

didn't read, gently caress off

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

covid hosed my rear end

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wtf are you talking about Cuba and Vietnam both had, like, triple digit death tolls for Covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Wtf are you talking about Cuba and Vietnam both had, like, triple digit death tolls for Covid.

covid thread people are loving cultists you can't discuss this stuff with them