Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CainFortea posted:

Edit: Oh, or how about a summoner that can summon totems that sit in the enemy line up and do things to adjacent enemies, like reduce their damage or give them vulnerability or something. Give them HP too so you have to make choices about cleave damage.

What color are you thinking? "Summoner" as a class name definitely leans Red or Blue-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

redleader posted:

poet? really? what am i missing?

Just 6 great sides.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

redleader posted:

poet? really? what am i missing?

The two cantrip shields are pretty nothing unless you have multiple sources of cantrip reroll and/or boosted rerolls (at which point you've probably won the run and don't really need the shields), but the four remaining sides are all great. Target-all shield doesn't seem like much, but it tends to get you over the line to have everyone survive a round, at which point you can go more offensively with the others. Dice refresh is great any time you don't need shields, particularly for getting over kill or mana thresholds. The Charged Shield side provides some of the beefiest single-target shields for blocking big hits and makes the Poet the best at supporting Pain sides, damage Steel sides and Copycat sides. (And at keeping your Blues or melees alive through Hexia.) If you have Ninja as your T2 Orange and/or Scrapper as your T2 Yellow and you roll Poet for your Gray, there's a pretty strong argument for just never upgrading them to T3, because there aren't better Copycat or damage Steel sources in T3 and the raw side values don't mean much to those keywords.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Well, that was a run.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Junpei posted:

What color are you thinking? "Summoner" as a class name definitely leans Red or Blue-ish.

I mean, if the entire mechanic was introduced you could do something for all classes. Orange summoner debufs and/or poisons enemies, yellow summoner chomps enemies. A grey could have ones that you summon on your side to give shields or soak damage, and ones that like blow up or something on the enemy line. Red one obviously heals. Blue is a big wildcard, could go lots of places with that one. If I had to pick one i'd say grey. Like, a good grey can really help your team but I always feel like they're kinda lack luster. They very rarely shine on their own unless you get items that just...change most of their die faces.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Pain of Mind posted:

Well, that was a run.

:stare:

My highest is 115, this is nuts

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

drat, makes me want to add a leaderboard. I think probably people play blursed a lot more than cursed or cursed-hyper.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Almost certainly. That considerable power boost at the start goes a long way towards making the experience more of an enjoyable curve.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tann posted:

drat, makes me want to add a leaderboard. I think probably people play blursed a lot more than cursed or cursed-hyper.

Blursed feels like the game you designed for, even if (from this comment) clearly it was simply one mode of several.

(also I asked but you may have missed it, do you watch only connect? the existence of two reeds, eye of horus, twisted flax is just so hard to overlook)

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Pain of Mind posted:

Well, that was a run.

I think this is like +150 above the highest other mentioned record in the thread for Blursed. Absolutely nuts. Can you show us the curses/blessings list and give us a general breakdown of the run?

CainFortea posted:

I mean, if the entire mechanic was introduced you could do something for all classes. Orange summoner debufs and/or poisons enemies, yellow summoner chomps enemies. A grey could have ones that you summon on your side to give shields or soak damage, and ones that like blow up or something on the enemy line. Red one obviously heals. Blue is a big wildcard, could go lots of places with that one. If I had to pick one i'd say grey. Like, a good grey can really help your team but I always feel like they're kinda lack luster. They very rarely shine on their own unless you get items that just...change most of their die faces.

One of my favorite things about this game is how many possibilities there are for future updates. Others have mentioned summons and row manipulation, and there are so many others like redirection for a T3 version of Monk (make an enemy attack another enemy instead), item set bonuses or fusion, special spells unlocked by having a specific pair of classes, Shared Pain (damages both you and an enemy), etc.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 26, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Tann posted:

Blursed gives you the most customization, and makes it feel more like a traditional roguelike where the gear is the blessing and curses. I think I am kind of getting burnt out on 10 hour multi-day slogs though, any chance at a shortcut mode? Maybe achievements that unlock new modes where you start at the previous 100 and you choose the equivalent number of blessings and curses (eg. achievement at 201 that unlocks starting at 101? I am not sure how you could do it without increasing the ability to save scum, but if someone wants to cheat at a niche single player game whatever. If it takes any amount of work to implement don't worry about it, more thinking out-loud.

Also, I am not sure if you track stuff, but I bet the graph of people losing would look like a sine wave, where there is a danger-zone area between levels ~13-19 each round (excluding bosses), but if you manage to beat the full round you will likely make it to the same dangerous area for the next one. Basically, you lose at 194 or 214, but not 202.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Was there a noticeable “northerlion” bump in sales? I know the SNKRX dev mentioned they’d had one

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I definitely pulled the trigger on this after watching NL play it, though I had my eye on it for a while waiting for a Steam/iOS release but eh, itch io was good enough.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TravelLog posted:

I think this is like +150 above the highest other mentioned record in the thread for Blursed. Absolutely nuts. Can you show us the curses/blessings list and give us a general breakdown of the run?

One of my favorite things about this game is how many possibilities there are for future updates. Others have mentioned summons and row manipulation, and there are so many others like redirection for a T3 version of Monk (make an enemy attack another enemy instead), item set bonuses or fusion, special spells unlocked by having a specific pair of classes, Shared Pain (damages both you and an enemy), etc.

Hell yea, one I'm hoping to see is a hero with sides that copy monster sides.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

TravelLog posted:

Double posting because I saw this after I made my previous post and it is different enough to not edit it in. Was that previous run the one I posted (that shows up in the previous best for the most recent screenshot)?

Here is a list of curses and blesses, the scrolling resolution is very low where it was hard to line it up well, so hopefully I did not miss anything. I chose a bunch of blesses randomly since neither option was that enticing, and some of them were either of marginal utility (like the i-greatsword or boss smash+), and some were completely useless like getting cruel burst after I no longer had burst. At first I was a little underwhelmed by i-collar, and maybe I could have got something better, but it grew on me. I might have already had a majority of the good blesses, but there is for sure room to improve upon them so I do think 400+ is definitely achievable and maybe even 500+ with a lot of luck in bless, curse choices, and item/hero/rolling RNG.

Strategy: All praise Bolt, Bolt is life, Bolt is the alpha and omega, if you are not casting bolt you should be asking yourself why you are not casting Bolt.

A week or two ago I posted a tentative tier list for blessings. I changed my rankings some and pointing out how they factor into strategy of getting far, even though there might be blesses that make the first 100 or 200 or so rounds easier. You can see I did not get some of the better ones until quite late.

Essential:

Bolt Spell - You will lose Burst due to curses eventually, and it is a solid damage/mana ratio. Also gives good damage consistency that is mostly hero independent.
Leyline - Worst case scenario a free Burst (eventually Bolt), also makes spells like Infinity an instant round win and some random "crappy" item spells like Beam (7 damage for 5 mana) not a completely wasted item slot.
Things that give you starting mana (Fizzing, Jeweled Chalice etc.) - You wanted to be casting a lot of spells round 1, see below.

Late in the run all of the enemies will have a bunch of hp, a turn 1 buff, and some very boosted dice sides (I think mine had left side +5). You are going to be getting random imps or rats or whatever hitting for 10+, and all of your heroes will be at lethal the first turn of every fight. On the first turn of stage 1 on a round when you have no gear and the starting level 1 heroes, I had an 8 hp Caw Egg that was going to summon 7 Caws, and you need some way of dealing with this. It is basically an alpha strike war where you need to kill enough on turn 1 to survive until turn 2.

I did not draw Bolt until the 4th run through and Leyline until the 7th run through for this most recent run, you do not need to save scum until you have them and make yourself miserable, just don't pass on them later.

Very nice to have blesses that you will probably need to extend your run as long as possible, but don't really change how you play:

Shrink - You will be fighting a lot of skeletons, imps, rats, wisps and other small things. It also impacts summoners that can absolutely lose you a run like Caw Eggs and Graves. Anything that can help bring them into 1 shot range is great. Also as a minor boon it strips the "tough" hp from chests until they pick up more hp.
Treasure Seeker - Much less important than I initially thought, the build was less focused on building game breaking combos (since your combo is just casting Bolt a lot), more for better cursed item storage.
Shiny - Skipping the mostly useless low level items is nice, get a chance at Infinity sooner.
Save Spell - 1 mana keep a hero alive, helps you get to Leyline

Other decent blesses:
Anything that is always useful but not critical - Improved dice rolling skills, Boss Smash, Turn 3 Heal etc. It might be worth grabbing these rather than gambling with an unknown if you have most of the better blesses, just so you don't get Burst buffing blesses or whatever.

For the other aspect of Blursed - Curse Management:

Never never never never take an unknown Tier 1 curse unless only bad curses are offered. If you get slow spells your run is over, and there are a lot of other bad Tier 1 curses. As mentioned previously, you need to do as much damage as possible on the first turn, so I also try and avoid anything that shields on damage, death, or turn 1, though Boss Shields might be tolerable since you can get anti-boss blessings and bosses are not really the hard part anyway (though I did not have it last run). Items are also annoying unless you have your Bolt engine up and Treasure Seeker to build around them easier, and there are a lot of cursed items. I also try to not to take anything that will widely buff enemy dice, especially the right two sides or top and bottom, that is where the big summoners that you might not be able to kill in 1 turn have their summoning rolls. It is kind of like the saying where "You need to win every time, they only need to win once" comes into play. You might not lose immediately if you take it, but eventually an Alpha Wolf or The Hand will summon 5 things and you lose. The curse that affects the left side only is doable since the only summoners on it are smaller ones that you could potentially kill in one turn, though maybe it would be an interesting experiment to swap that with various shielding curses to have a slower fight. You could potentially take random Tier 2 or later curses since you can better estimate which ones you might get and how tolerable they would be.

Heroes and items matter less, outside of picking the best ones you can to support the build. I often would not upgrade from Tier 2 to Tier 3 heroes unless it had clearly better die faces, since with curses the Tier 3s tend to have less hp.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 26, 2022

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

CainFortea posted:

Hell yea, one I'm hoping to see is a hero with sides that copy monster sides.

I was just thinking about that earlier today too. Could make for an interesting Blue (Blue Mage, duh) or Orange (Beastmaster). It could work whereby the relevant face(s) start with a weak 1 damage attack, but if that attack kills a non-boss enemy, you get to copy their face with a suitable reduction multiplier to prevent it from being OP (e.g. maybe 0.5 for summons, rounded up or 0.33 for damaging attacks).

Some other possibilities:
  • Your die face combines the active faces of the heroes on either side of you, with some penalty in exchange for the benefit.
  • Revenge - boosts your die based on how much unblocked damage you received last turn.
  • Die faces that affect random allies / enemies in exchange for being stronger than normal (or a "Confused" status that just scrambles targetting).
  • Xbane faces that affect certain enemy types with boosted effects (e.g. "Undead" or "Beasts").
  • A shield face that converts either unblocked (probably more balanced due to risk/reward) or blocked damage you take into mana.
  • Something that forces an enemy to reroll their active die face.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

TravelLog posted:

Some other possibilities:

• Die faces that affect random allies / enemies in exchange for being stronger than normal (or a "Confused" status that just scrambles targetting).

• Something that forces an enemy to reroll their active die face.

Those might be hard to balance with how the undo works, either it's secretly locked in when you finish rolling or you can undo & reselect until you get the 'good' random option

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Those might be hard to balance with how the undo works, either it's secretly locked in when you finish rolling or you can undo & reselect until you get the 'good' random option

Undo already doesn't apply to dice rolls.

Maybe it'd be more streamlined if you could reroll the monster's next dice (as if it were a character dice)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Wanderer's quad-attack thing plus Growth from a Herbalist was a nice unexpected pairing. Every attack goes up by 1 for a nice 10 damage you get to spread around lovingly.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

New Leaf posted:

Wanderer's quad-attack thing plus Growth from a Herbalist was a nice unexpected pairing. Every attack goes up by 1 for a nice 10 damage you get to spread around lovingly.

I got steel and self-shield on it once. Just a little nuts.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
How many secrets are there?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

New Leaf posted:

I got Bloodlust on it once, which was pretty great in the early-mid of a fight

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pain of Mind posted:

How many secrets are there?

:ssh:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I've seen people posting heroes beyond level 3 - is there some trick or secret mode that lets you keep levelling up? Even on Curse/Blurse mode, you reset after the boss, so I'm not sure how to get them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PotatoManJack posted:

I've seen people posting heroes beyond level 3 - is there some trick or secret mode that lets you keep levelling up? Even on Curse/Blurse mode, you reset after the boss, so I'm not sure how to get them.

boosted starting hero level blessing will end up with extra levelups at the end

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Permanently kill a hero and you'll eventually get level 4 heroes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It should be illegal for a game to be this good and addictive. The moment this game gets on iOS it's over for me and my spare time. I've already lost two days to it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I really want to combine curses to both kill and level up heroes and get a super high level.

e:
f1: level up
f2: cursed helm
f3: kill a hero + second level 2
f4: kill
f5: kill + L3
f7: kill + L4
f9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19: L5-L10

If you started with a kill outside + level up middle, then you could get to level 11 I think.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 28, 2022

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

PotatoManJack posted:

I started a team of 5 glitches in custom party to beat brutal. I don't think that's the intended way, but I ended up with all five level 5 by the end.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think I had an idea once for a Blue named "Onmyoji" that could summon a Shikigami familiar as an extra combatant with their spell.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

I really want to combine curses to both kill and level up heroes and get a super high level.

e:
f1: level up
f2: cursed helm
f3: kill a hero + second level 2
f4: kill
f5: kill + L3
f7: kill + L4
f9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19: L5-L10

If you started with a kill outside + level up middle, then you could get to level 11 I think.

There's also the dead heroes stay dead curse as a less complex method.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

If you just want to see some high-level generated heroes, the easiest way is probably messing with paste mode, but maybe that doesn't count!

Pain of Mind posted:

Also, I am not sure if you track stuff, but I bet the graph of people losing would look like a sine wave
You can maybe see this in the cursed mode leaderboards?

silvergoose posted:

the existence of two reeds, eye of horus, twisted flax is just so hard to overlook
Lion coming one day I hope!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
One QOL thing I'd like to see: right clicking on an enemy's ability icon should also display that ability's info instead of only bringing up the dice diagram popup; right now you need to bring up the diagram and then right click the ability. It's something I find myself naturally doing, and I'm pretty sure I've seen Youtubers also try to do it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I finally found the last hero-sized enemy and he is very rude!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How often do you try and get Goblins and Bandits to leave early through their "if it sucks hit da bricks" passives?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Junpei posted:

How often do you try and get Goblins and Bandits to leave early through their "if it sucks hit da bricks" passives?

That's usually my aim. Depends on my faces. If the best I have is 1 3 point damage face I'm probably not going to go for it with bandits.

If I have a couple of 3 point or more faces you betcha i'm setting that up. Especially if there's a bone summoner on the bottom and I can get a bone between two of them.

Also having that item that generates bones i've set those up so a bone comes in, I over kill it, bandit leaves, rinse and repeat.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Goblins just about every time (main exception being when there's a backrow I can't kill), bandits whenever possible but they're more of a stretch goal.

You should probably try to have a hero that can trigger the bandits auto-run though. Ideally you always get a hero that can deal at least 4 damage with one hit, not only for bandits but also zombies and ghosts.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
And for oneshotting summoned bones and imps so you don't get swamped. Reliable access to a 4+ pip attack is pretty important.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I just won Generate Unfair mode, yaaaaay!

Grey was the absolute all-star. Almost took this trap for triple copycat shield 3.

Then I immediately got angel feather after that to give Rescue to the top and bottom sides, and then no one ever died again.

Lucky I did, because I don't think I was gonna pull through otherwise.

Rest of the team. Mostly a mana engine for burst+ and Yellow's charged attacks.

Was definitely exciting. I've been trying to clear that setting off and on for quite a while now. If grey had whiffed any of his turns I would have been done for, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Thanks for reminding me about Generate! I just took a blessing called hero copycat and it's wild, it builds on itself

`{d:{l:{m:[Crone,Crone]},m:[Hero copycat,"Add [purple]Zombie[cu]",Monster decay],n:4,p:{e:[Reagents],h:[o2-439,y1-21,g1-412,r2-57,b1-935]}},p:["2{ps:[\"!{cs:[{am:1,cd:[{n:Flickering Blade,t:Item}]},{am:1,cd:[{n:Iron Heart,t:Item}]}],ct:{cs:Number,v:1}}\",\"9{\\\"reward\\\":{\\\"itemStrings\\\":[\\\"Scissors\\\"]},\\\"type\\\":{\\\"extraMonsters\\\":[\\\"Wisp\\\"]}}\"]}",3],s:15515255,v:201r}`