Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I typically got 2-3k miles on SRAM chains and about 10k miles out of Ultegra cassettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Remy Marathe posted:

Call me a selfish bastard but since you'll never get the value of that chain replacement back willingly in a resale, I'd totally leave it alone unless the current chain's overdue.
Not overdue but it's getting there. Bike is due for the periodic inspection in April but would probably pass as it sits now. If I actually sell my learner bike come spring any parts I throw at it this winter are likely wasted money, sure. But it's not a lot of money for a chain+oil and filter which is all I'm likely to do. It's likely to be babby's first bike for someone else, and I want the next rider to have a machine similar to what I got; a bike that will work for a good long while with nothing except gas, chain lube and tire air. Being a newbie is daunting enough as it is and I'd like to tell any prospective buyer it's ready to ride with a straight face.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I typically got 2-3k miles on SRAM chains and about 10k miles out of Ultegra cassettes.
I bike commute winters through brine. poo poo is hard on drivelines and anything else that slides or spins. New chain, cassette and shifter cable every spring regardless of mileage, bearings when they go bad which is frequent :(
Belt drive is pretty tempting, though my internally geared hubs get brine ingress too after a while. At least with a derailleur setup the need for maintenance is obvious.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Dang, I went 20k (7 years) miles on my last road bike without ever changing any bearings. Only cables, chains, cassettes, rings.
Desert environment of Eastern Washington.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Put a Healtech quickshifter on the Duke. Always wanted one of these, could never reliably get the hang of clutchless upshifts.

It works great, so much fun on a little bike that you are always banging through the gears on. Still tweaking the settings, but it's super easy since I can just pull over and open up the app to adjust timings and such.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxq6Bp6SuSQ

Nothing wrong with a quickshifter, but you should be able to get the hang of clutchless upshifts with just a little practice.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've used gear oil to lube my chains (thanks Fortnine) and now that's all I'll do. Semi frequent cleaning if you go off road often. I don't feel like wax really penetrates the functioning elements of a chain.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every single time someone types Fortnine my brain fills in Fortnite and I’m super confused as to why people are getting bike tips from Fortnite

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've never played or talked about Fortnite but I had to fix the autocorrect from nite to nine.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I am just old enough to have never played Fortnite, so I’m always wondering how Fortnine became so popular with this kids.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Every single time someone types Fortnine my brain fills in Fortnite and I’m super confused as to why people are getting bike tips from Fortnite

I mean people get their financial advice from tiktok so it really isn't much of a stretch.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I installed heated grips on my VStrom. I still have oil changes in five bikes ahead.

Edit: one oil change down!

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 21, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stabiled the gas tank, drained the float bowls, pulled the battery, put the cover on for the winter.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
Full strip down, brake service with new braided steel hoses, oil change, coolant change, spark plugs and change a few furry fairing bolts. Wanted to swap in some progressive fork springs but I can’t find a 12mm Allen key or 1/2 hex anywhere to get the wheel off. That will have to wait until tomorrow. An easy bike to work fettle with.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I bought a bike yesterday, trailered it home, gave it a wash and let it dry indoors overnight. Today I yanked the battery, reverted the muffler to stock and put it in cold storage until spring.

It sits under a cover now and has a disc brake lock too because why not. Sleep well new bike, dream of sunshine and clean, dry asphalt.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
The Elefant now has new fork seals, timing belts, timing tensioner/idler bearings, cylinder caps(? whatever those rubber bits behind the cam pulley are called), and the speedo drive is packed with new grease.

Now I’m waiting on a new speedo cable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those are called leak hole covers op

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No I'm not insanely jealous

E-P
Apr 21, 2016
I can't imagine getting a new bike and not at least taking it for a ride. Insane to me.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

E-P posted:

I can't imagine getting a new bike and not at least taking it for a ride. Insane to me.

It sucks but it makes some sense. There's road salt all over the place and it's generally cold and dark, wet and nasty when it's not outright icy. Prices are lower right now because of this and the headache of winter storage. Also inflation is eating my savings so I might as well spent my fun bucks now and ride later. I took it for a short test ride before buying and it rides just like an SV should. Still I have trouble sleeping right now partly because I'm so excited to ride it, so maybe insane, yeah. Once I put some heated grips on and there's at least some dry asphalt I'll ride it but realistically that's probably in March.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Perhaps you should winterize it extra hard to keep yourself from cracking during a freak warmup in February or something. Meticulously baste it in marine-grade corrosion inhibitor and store the key and battery at work.

Today I installed aftermarket handguards and Barkbusters on the Vanvan, not because I especially need barkbusters at the moment, but to fix a bad case of droopy bar muff, the left one hung weird, barely covered my fingers and would've been sketchy on days I have to take my hands off the grip to wipe my visor a lot. After a number of bad modification ideas involving the bar ends to support it better I realized I was about to reinvent the handguard, so yeah. Not the best look but it's going to be in the lower 40's this week when I head to work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Slather it in cosmoline and wrap it in wax paper

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

lol this owns. I've been thinking of putting some on my FZ6 because the heated grips don't quite cut it when it's below freezing in the morning.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

You totally should, they're a big improvement. I rode my other bike to work a couple weeks ago with its heated grips but no mitts, and it just meant half my hand was hot and the top half was still cold. Loved them all fall though.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

In the middle of a strip down and build back up to fix years of PO mishandling.

So far:
0. Replaced bars and grips
1. Designed some mounting lugs for the ZX6R triple clamps to moutn the OEM dash/fairing bracketry and sent to machine shop for aluminum welding
2. Replaced the tail light wiring harness and got LEDs in there
3. Removed and sent the suspension out (rear shock is dead)
4. Replaced the radiator hoses and some plastic T fitting that had an inline temp sensor with silicone hoses and an aluminum sensor block (and new sensor)
5. Ground down broken bodywork snaps and drilled holes to fit metal KTM bodywork snaps and replaced frame grommets to match
6. Wired up new LED signals and headlight and signal relay
7. Removed and saved in a safe spot the very expensive RZ350 powervalve computer and actuator system (my banshee top end has no powervalve)
8. Replaced the shift shaft seal, primary shaft seal, and neutral indicator sensor and seal (there was an oil leak somewhere and I didn't know which)

Things I'm doing soon:
1. Merging a Banshee throttle cable lower with a RZ350 throttle cable upper to remove slack in the throttle
2. Cutting and reterminating the clutch cable end to shorten it up to remove the PO's nested cable adjuster situation
3. Replacing the dashboard KPH dial with a MPH dial and cleaning/polishing the clear plastic for all gauges and installing LED illuminators to replace the crappy incandescent bulbs
4. Replacing OEM wiring jackets and corrugated with all new wiring protection and fitting connector plugs to unpopulated connectors (like the powervalve to ECU harness)
5. Replacing the kickstarter
6. Doing a significant fastener replacement program for years of hardware store fasteners with high quality JIS stuff
7. I ordered the giant dial-looking stock RZ petcock from japan and will fit when it arrives
8. Putting a banjo bolt brake sensor on the front brake

Things I'm doing when machine shop and suspension return:
1. Compression testing just for fun since piston rings are super easy on these bikes
2. Significant sheet metal fabrication work (3x brackets) to mount the OEM fairing and gauge bracket to my reproduction fairing that does not have some badly needed mounting tabs
3. Come up with solution to the solo seat mounting to the tail light bracket - this part was for racers and is unobtanium and unfortunately complex
4. Maybe send all body work out for paint?

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 1, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:getin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rad. What will the lack of power valves do to the rideability? I've never ridden one of those so I don't know if corners are a thing that happens on them or not

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The port timing requiring the power valves is baked into the top end - so if he's swapping that out completely, power should be fine if not as broad.
I suppose the transmission gearing ratios could still foul things up.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

It came with the banshee high compression top end and bigger carbs so I don't know otherwise. The switch to on-the-pipe isn't too violent as youd expect from a two stroke. Less violent than any valved dirtbike

It's still an rz motor so no low gears.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Don't forget to get gas appropriate for that high compression.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I put a Lithium Iron battery in my Road Glide. My garage is not insulated or heated like my last garage was, so I've already gone through one Ducati battery thanks to sub 10° days. My Harley is going into its fifth year, and I'll occasionally get a warning about the battery (despite being almost constantly plugged in), but more than that, I had an extra $300 and wanted to check out this new battery.

A few years ago, Harley came out with their first lithium battery. It was an unmitigated failure, and as with anything that comes out first, I decided to wait until they gave it at least one revision. This year, they started selling the LiFe batteries, the science behind which I won't pretend to understand, but the most obvious difference, along with its apparently higher load capacity, is the weight. Where it's somewhat challenging to hold a battery with both hands, the LiFe battery is actually not difficult to hold, throw, and catch with two fingers. Maybe that should have been a clue.

I charged it overnight, swapped it out today, and the bike started up fine. I decided to go for a ride this afternoon, and about 400 feet from my house it went to hell. The display shut off, turned on, dimmed, then started powercycling. While this was happening, the voltage meter was waving back and forth between 13 and where it's pegged at 16. I thought maybe I hosed up and grounded it out somehow, so I (cautiously) scooted back home and pulled everything off to check it out. And, of course not, it's a fuckin battery, there's two things to screw in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYcSYzxYhcI
I'm adjusting nothing in this video, and the heated grips are off

I put the lead battery back in and everything was fine. Brought the LiFe battery back to the dealership, and they advised me against a replacement. Apparently I'm the first one to purchase one of these, but they'd heard that it doesn't function below 20°, won't even charge when it gets that cold, and if it sits for too long you apparently have to go through some bullshit process to "wake it up."

I don't want to be like Slavvy shaking my first at everything with a microprocessor but.. in this case maybe just stick with lead batteries unless you live somewhere it's constantly 70° and sunny.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Pegged at 16 means the battery acts like it's intermittently open circuit, and the bike's voltage stabilizer has to cope with tremendous load variations. Not all stabilizers can cope with that.

It can be that a battery terminal was not tightened enough and physically interrupting the charge current, but it can also be that some protection circuit in the battery opened the circuit, making all electrics run on generator power alone without having the stabilizing and smoothing effect of the battery that can both sink and source current.

One thing to keep into account is that they're very specifically starter batteries. More often than not, they are specified 'to replace 14Ah' lead acid batteries, implying something like 200 cold cranking amperes.
You can already get those 200 CCA from a 5Ah lithium pack. So a 'Replaces 14 Ah' battery might very well be just 5Ah. And that means that leaving big loads turned on with the engine not running (or if it doesn't generate enough electrical power on idle) that you can easily empty the battery.
This also goes for when you have a small parasitic power draw such as an alarm system, GPS tracker, a phone charger on standby and things like that. Those will deplete the lithium 'Replaces X amp hours' battery faster than they will drain the original one.
The lead acid, however, will sustain damage from deep cycles. The lithium won't because it will simply act like it's not there anymore when it's close to its 'too deeply discharged to work' voltage until you charge it again.

You're also not supposed to use all the 14 Ah of a bike lead acid battery because of deep cycle issues, but you can do it.

The low weight of the new battery tech doesn't say much about whether it's good or not. But i have no problems with lead acid batteries and for me the difference in mass is completely irrelevant.

What i dislike is the concept of charging a lithium battery pack with a system that's designed for lead acid charging. The lead acid battery can just float at 13,8 to 14,4v, always having a stabilizing effect. A lithium pack has to follow a very specific charging regime. It can only source current once it's full, not sink it (overcharging it) like you can do with a lead acid battery (even though that's not great to do, they will handle limited overcharging).
Also, if there's 'smart' circuitery in it, it is very likely to not agree with me on what actually is smart.

That said, if they design a bike to use a lithium starter battery from the start, i think it would be wonderful. There's no reason why *that* should be unreliable, because you can factor in all the things like how to keep the 12v bus stable when the battery is already 100% charged, how to deal with a jump start with a completely flat and locked out lithium battery (once you disconnect the jumper cables, voltage could again shoot up to unsafe levels) etc etc.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 4, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lithium batteries continue to be garbage, check

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

LimaBiker posted:

The low weight of the new battery tech doesn't say much about whether it's good or not. But i have no problems with lead acid batteries and for me the difference in mass is completely irrelevant.

The weight kept coming up when I was talking to the service guys, which I thought was odd, because it's a roughly 900lb motorcycle. Saving 30lbs has zero effect on a bike that's advertised almost directly to the pre-diabetic.

Also it's apparently 8Ah. Not far from your guess.

Given everything you said I have no idea why they would advertise a LiFe battery as a replacement for lead acid. I don't understand electricity remotely to your degree, as you're kinda the authority on EV motorcycles, but it doesn't really sound like one should put a lithium battery in a bike that shipped with a lead one.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Pretty much. To me, batteries are too much of a non issue to think much about, and they cost as much as 2 or 3 tanks of fuel so i don't mind buying a new one every 5 years. Finally, the recycle rate of lead acid batteries is close to 90% so i also don't feel bad about being wasteful, buying a battery every 5 years.

I did think about getting a lithium battery as a battery to use for camping where there is no power. But the cost per Ah was too drat high, and the number of cycles i expect to put on it is low. So i ended up with a cheap Yuasa 7Ah UPS lead acid battery.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My bike got 6 ish years out of its last Yuasa.
With its use case, it'll probably get another Yuasa despite lithium being 15lb lighter.

Lithium has its place. On a track bike competitively? absolutely. A bike that sees no miles a year and mostly sits unless it's 70F and sunny? sure.
Daily rider in all conditions? stick to lead acid unless you are aware and fine with the tradeoffs.

My house runs on lithium and for its use case the chemistry is incredible.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Not my ride, but I helped bro check valve clearance on his SV last night. Like I've been led to believe from this thread, it wasn't difficult to do and everything was within spec. In fairness bro had already removed the fuel tank and radiator but that seemed easy too.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Got this off the side of the road:

The top end is roasted:

All the brakes work, clutch works, suspension damps. Bottom end seems OK (crank and conrod bearing at least), and it shifts through all its gears. It has spark.

Fork seals are blown, front wheel bearing is blown, the heim join is super mega blown.
A friend in my club has a top end on his shelf ready to go, so I'm going to clean it up and put it all together and see if it will run.

If it runs I'll spend the couple hundred dollars on chassis parts to have it tight again, and give it to my buddy Joe who just had a kid and will never get a dirtbike again, and regrettably motos on a KTM 530.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Naked bike is currently extra naked. It was time to do the valve clearance check on my 2016 SV650, it just having turned 24000km. I took fuel tank and radiator off because I didn't want to be struggling with access first time I ever do this, but with that out of the way the valve thing itself was surprisingly simple. Also, everything was neatly within spec, as I had hoped and expected. While all the plastic bits are off, now it's time to change brake hoses.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Got a piece of KTM motor development history for free for my also free ktm. Can you spot the weirdness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is it the two stroke reed on the four stroke head? Wtf