Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Men and Nope are my favorites of the year, but for very different reasons. Both films are kinda divisive, too.

edit; awful page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mouse Hunt (1997): C. Kind of dumb, but I think they were going with a classic Looney Tunes vibe. Not a bad movie overall.

Canadian Bacon (1995): B. Pretty funny movie, but it's less a political farce than a movie anticipating the post-9/11 "you're either with us or with the terrorists" era. One of my favorite jokes was Gordon Lightfoot bringing Rhea Perlman's character a 'get well' stuffie. RIP John Candy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
TÁR is great and very funny. Felt like a very self-aware satire to me but opinions seem mixed on that. Blanchett is as good as you’d expect. Definitely feels its length but mostly earns it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tàr is great, yeah, and it really alienates boomers

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Grumpy Old Men (1993, rewatch?): B+. Very enjoyable film. Matthau and Lemmon were top-tier talents.
Bye Bye, Birdie (1963): C. Meh. I liked Dick Van Dyke, Paul Lynde, Ann-Margret and Ed Sullivan. Didn't especially care for the film itself.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 14, 2022

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Decision to Leave 5/5
Her 3/5
Triangle of Sadness 4/5
Glassland 3/5
The Straight Story 4/5
Stalker 5/5
Piggy 1/5
Barbarians 1/5 (i thought this was Barbarian, but I had downloaded the wrong film and watched it anyway)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

A Night to Dismemeber (1983)

Complete and utter loving poo poo.

0/10

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Sad to report that Glass Onion stinks out loud

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

American Beauty - 9/10 - Man this is a dated movie but its such a fascinating snapshot in time of the late 90s, an infinitely simpler time. The anxieties of ordinary white suburban middle class America(that no longer exists and became poor like everyone else) right before all the crazy poo poo of Dubya's election, 9/11, the war on terror, Iraq, and the crash of 08, social media, and smart phones. Its crazy how much the world has changed in just 20 years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Sad to report that Glass Onion stinks out loud

I'd love to hear more.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'd love to hear more.

Genuinely love the first one, which is stacked top to bottom with ringers that can play both the serious and comedy sides incredibly well. You're in good hands with folks like Jamie Lee and Michael Shannon who can go big without flailing too hard.

Glass Onion is all flailing. Every character is a one-dimensional cartoon character played to the rafters, and most of the cast is unfortunately way out of its depth. I've liked Bautista and Monae in other stuff but you can really feel them straining. Hahn and Odom weirdly barely make an impression, and Hudson unsurprisingly comes out looking the worst.

Johnson's script is a big part of the problem, which cranks up some insanely broad satire (Edward Norton plays a name-dropping Elon Zuckerberg that buys the Mona Lisa) and randomly throws in some clumsy sci-fi elements (a plot point revolves around a magical new energy source). It's structurally pretty lumpy too, with an hour+ up front of SNL-level bits, a late-developing mystery and a key reveal that's bogged down by a half-hour flashback.

It finally manages some juice once Craig starts laying out the solution, but the road there is really rough, and the kicker isn't particularly satisfying either. Just a real bummer

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 29, 2022

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Didn’t know The Relic was a Peter Hyams movie so no surprise that it’s a really good looking and competent version of what’s a pretty dumb script

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

0/10

10/10 title though

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Menu was a lot of fun but not cohesive or tight enough to be great. Very close though. Ralph Fiennes is a real gem though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

0/10

It looked like 0/10 movie to me from the trailers but there were enough good reviews that I admit I'm tempted.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Aftersun 4.5/5
Apocalypse Now 4/5
Taxi Driver 3/5

I have to say, despite liking it, I really do not understand the universal praise for taxi driver. Thought I would like apocalypse now a bit more as well, but it was very good still. Aftersun... I dont even know how a film can be sad, while pretty much showing nothing sad. But I loved it.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere
I watched Barbarian but it didn't match the hype. 6/10. I appreciate the structural things, but I didn't find it compelling and reminded me of many better films.

I'd put it alongside Fresh as OK, but not worth the accolades.

I suppose what I want from 'new' horror is to comment on wider issues i.e. not #metoo as a shorthand for a piece of poo poo

It's not a patch on films like It Follows, Piercing, Possessor, the Beta Test, I Am the Pretty Thing..., Gretel & Hansel.

If you liked any of those, recommendations appreciated!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's very telling that the original script ended at that cut and was extended to full length. A much better movie as a short that ends there IMO.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Bottom Liner posted:

It's very telling that the original script ended at that cut and was extended to full length. A much better movie as a short that ends there IMO.

Interesting. Makes sense, the last 2/3 is much weaker.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Violent Night is an instant holiday classic, it felt like a 90s action movie. I love that it namechecked both Die Hard and Home Alone.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bones and All was a wild ride but I have issue with squaring the allegory of the movie with the reality of the plot.

Taylor Russel is so great though, loved her in Waves and happy to see her again in a lead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bottom Liner posted:

Bones and All was a wild ride but I have issue with squaring the allegory of the movie with the reality of the plot.

When I saw it I had the same mindset, trying to equate the issue in the film with something more real world but nothing entirely gelled. I’m pretty sure in Mark Kermode’s review he says the director said it’s just supposed to be taken at face value, which I’m fine with.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I agree that it’s not a specific metaphor, but given that it’s an adaptation of a novel I don’t think he can declare that beyond saying he takes it at face value. It’s only natural to connect with the concept of an ostracized young person struggling with their identity vs how society sees them for any person that’s ever felt that way. The issue I had was that unlike (most) self acceptance struggles, these protagonists are actual monsters but the movie tries to mostly gloss over that as a triumph of self after a certain point.

Also some of the music at the end (the montage and climax, specifically) was so on the nose to the point of ruining the moment for me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Fabelmans: I’m not sure why I thought Spielberg was a tall guy

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That was a great cameo and tilt at the end.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Uncle Buck (1989): B-. Bog standard 'weird uncle learns how to deal with kids' movie with some funny moments. The plot is fairly cliche but it's not a bad movie.

A Christmas Carol (1999, the one with Patrick Stewart): B. Good adaptation that is probably faithful to Dickens' original story, but I've been spoiled by A Muppet Christmas Carol; although Stewart is unquestionably a very talented actor I prefer Michael Caine's interpretation of certain parts of the story. Some of Stewart's mannerisms in the 'reformed Scrooge' scenes are...weird, but that's probably writing and not his performance itself.

A Muppet Christmas Carol is still one of the best adaptations of Dickens' story is I guess what I'm saying.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm partial to the George C. Scott version, but it and the Muppet version are like 1A and 1B.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Bones and all I really disliked. Everything it tried to do, other films did much better. Only Sully was interesting to actually watch in the film. But I can't even say I blame the actors much, just felt like a poo poo script. 1/5.

The Fabelmans. Really liked how it started out, but kind of kept getting worse and worse as it went on. With the exception of Lynch appearance which was pretty good fun. 3/5

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Menu: the satire is kind of toothless and it’s 30 minutes too long but it’s genuinely got some laughs and the casting director deserves a raise. Nic Hoult is so incredibly good at his specific thing, he and Fiennes could have killed it in a much more overt comedy

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

loving terrible, and not just narratively. I knew it would be dumb, but I didn't think it would make the first one look like a really solid story. It wastes the technical marvel by constantly switching between 24 and HFR arbitrarily even within the same scene in a way that ruined a lot of shots. There are extended sequences of what I can only call feel bad cinema, and the big set pieces just call back to better Cameron films. It's a complete rehash of the first film with a lot of dead end b-plots (that were apparently cut for the third film?) and nothing happens to justify the 3+ hour runtime. Some of the water sequences do look great but unlike the first one, the spectacle can't come close to justifying the poo poo writing. I can't believe this is the movie Cameron spent 12 years making. It's disrespectful to the worldbuilding and story it's even trying to tell.

1/5.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BELLS (1982)

Also known as Murder by Phone (and apparently The Calling too? Jesus Christ!), this thing started off well enough as a crap-but-fun movie, with exploding phones killing the unsuspecting victims of some nutter with whatever magic technology allows this to happen, but before long it turns into a boring affair with Richard Chamberlain wandering around looking for diagrams and demanding answers from telephone executives.

It's a complete waste of Chamberlain and John Houseman.

Bells? Balls.

3/10

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Bottom Liner posted:

constantly switching between 24 and HFR arbitrarily even within the same scene

I saw it but didn't notice any of this. afterwards I see people complaining about it. Is this 3d only or something? I went out of my way to see it in 2d of which there was only one theater available (the other 3 at this cinema were 3d)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

falz posted:

I saw it but didn't notice any of this. afterwards I see people complaining about it. Is this 3d only or something?

Probably. The HFR does look much better in 3D, probably works better with the glasses I think.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Babylon 2/5 - The great cast and big set pieces can't save this movie from itself. Self indulgent bullshit. 3 hour 9 minute runtime and the climax features a scene from Avatar over Singing in the Rain. Jesus Christ.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Top Secret! (1984): B
Some solid jokes along with some very obvious ones (it's a lot like Spaceballs in that respect). There are a few moments where the jokes don't land because they go on a bit too long and tell instead of show (example: the "I've talked to everyone and can't bring my wife to an orgasm" gag). Airplane! and the original Naked Gun are still the gold standard.

e: Almost forgot this one

The Goonies (1985): C+
I get the charm of the movie, and indeed there are some funny parts to it. Really enjoyed Davi (pre-chud?), Pantoliano and Ramsey as the Harry-and-Marv-prototype villains, and the kids (who were an obvious collection of 'types') acted really well. The story didn't do a whole lot for me; maybe I'm too much of a grownup to enjoy it now.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 20, 2023

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Inside Llewyn Davis. Very slow and drab. Guess I missed the point. 2.5/5

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
The Menu 4.5/5. I didn't really know what kind of movie it was, and certainly didn't prepare for comedy. But I thought it was quite funny, and I love horror comedy.

Malignant 2/5. Wasn't as bad as a friend told me. But yeah... still wasn't great.

Matilda Musical 4/5. Honestly one of the better kids films i've watched in a long time, do not regret putting that on to get some peace.

Glass Onion 2/5. Way worse than knives out for me. All the characters except Blanc were kind of boring, the mystery didn't grab me, and the satire on rich dumb people didn't work for me nearly as much as triangle of sadness or the menu.

Tar 5/5. Absolutely loved it. Saw people say it's an 'anti woke' film and... uhm, gotta wonder if they also watched the house that jack built, and thought we were meant to be cheering for Jack.

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 22, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1988): B. A most righteous flick, dude.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Watching Mother right now (the Bong Joon Ho one). I put off watching it for a long time because I thought it looked boring, totally regret it now

Edit: finished. Movie gets an A-

People have said some directors make many movies and some directors make one movie, over and over. For the most part, Bong Joonho makes one movie: the search for truth. But he makes it great every time

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tar - 3.5/5

Blanchett is a shoe in for the Oscar and insanely captivating but the movie doesn’t come together as well as everything she did in service of it. A lot to say, but it never quite gets it out. A really great ending though. I agree with the above, there’s no logical reading of this movie being anti-woke and I’d say that’s the opposite point it’s making.

Broker - 4/5

Very sweet and tender movie about found family and hardships. Some of the best feel good scenes of the year despite the looming sadness. Lee Ji-eun is great as always.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 1, 2023