Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

the AI doesn't know to "cap" the number of fingers on a hand at five

loling thinking about inigo montoya agonizing over the results of his prompt "the six-fingered man who killed my father"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

“When people ask why don’t we support unions, my answer is simple: We do not oppose unions. It’s that we don’t believe — I do not believe — that introducing a union is the right thing for REI,” he explains.

lol this is the exact phrasing I was trained to use in the union busting training module I had to take at work

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

spacemang_spliff posted:

“When people ask why don’t we support unions, my answer is simple: We do not oppose unions. It’s that we don’t believe — I do not believe — that introducing a union is the right thing for REI,” he explains.

lol this is the exact phrasing I was trained to use in the union busting training module I had to take at work

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1596870201718755329?t=D5Ni-3be2KZ8YhV5iPU2-w&s=19

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
king empathizes with Tesla because he knows firsthand what it’s like to be targeted by legacy automakers

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I cannot express the rage this fills me with

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

duomo posted:

king empathizes with Tesla because he knows firsthand what it’s like to be targeted by legacy automakers

Lol

Every so often I remember he wrote himself into a book and had the accident kill his hero instead of him and portrayed the driver as drunk/high and kinda an irredeemable pos

Just very odd decision to make in my opinion

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

my bony fealty posted:

A fun game to play every time you crack open a King book is to count how many pages it takes before a horrible racial stereotype shows up

I was given the Dark Tower series and the first appearance of Detta is quite alarming.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

whatta bitch lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

did they get that greek george guy who does the lovely politoons to draw the hands

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

it's funny when the mod makes America perform WORSE, right???

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

KomradeX posted:

because its not real and you wish it was real?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I just want Civ 7 already Civ 6 was boring dogshit

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

why are hands so hard to draw (or generate with AI art), whats the deal

We're bad at hands so the AI is bad at them.

Also art that is labeled hands will not necessarily be anatomically correct or perspective will block parts of the hand. This means that the AI never really understands that a hand needs five fingers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Private Cumshoe posted:

I just want Civ 7 already Civ 6 was boring dogshit

lol this is a bad opinion

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
You're right they probably won't address any of the problems 6 had in 7, I should not want Civ 7

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Yes, very much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUGi2X42sQ

Raven was talking about me when he said this

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

civ 4 was the best one thank you for your time

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

World War Mammories posted:

civ 4 with the FFH2 mod was the best one thank you for your time

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Private Cumshoe posted:

You're right they probably won't address any of the problems 6 had in 7, I should not want Civ 7

to take this post a little more seriously, Civ 6 addressed one of the fundamental problems of Civ 5, the actual dogshit iteration of the series, which was that it was never feasible / desirable to have more than three cities at a time

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

civilization was perfected in the game alpha centauri.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Civ 5, 6, and Beyond Earth were all big steps down from older games in the series, and I have no faith that they can right the ship.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

to take this post a little more seriously, Civ 6 addressed one of the fundamental problems of Civ 5, the actual dogshit iteration of the series, which was that it was never feasible / desirable to have more than three cities at a time

That was so loving boneheaded. Yes, my game about playing a global empire from the Stone Age to the near future should severely limit my ability to have a sprawling global empire

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

The last good civ game was Alpha Centauri and Civilization 2 was its prophet.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i even like the alien crossfire expansion, except the nautilus pirates were dumb as hell

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

General Bullshit posted:

The last good civ game was Alpha Centauri and the last decent civ game was V

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Civ had always struggled with Infinite City Spam as a strategy

The first three (and Alpha Centauri) were designed such that cities were "free", but improvements cost gold. This lead to a degenerate playstyle where you'd simply build as many cities as you could fit onto the map without ever improving them, and just making use of the +1/+2 gold that they'd provide for free. This was especially true when combined with corruption rules that meant that after a certain point, cities would always be "fully corrupted" and you'd never be able to extract more than 1 gold per turn from them anyway, so why bother building any improvements?

Civ 4 had a fairly good anti-Spam measure in that cities would cost exponentially (geometrically? logarithmically?) cost more gold with every funding. Improvements were free, but a new baby city demanded that you already have a healthy national surplus before you could afford to establish a new one.

Civ 5 went way too hard in this direction, where as I mentioned, the penalties for having more than three cities became so steep that it was never worth it beyond that number.

Amplitude's Endless Legend and Humankind "solved" the issue a little more directly, by dividing up the world into discrete regions, and only allowing one city to be built per region, effectively hard-capping the number of cities that could ever be founded.

Soren Johnson's Old World was even more explicit about this, limiting the founding of cities to just specific hexes in the world, where Endless Legend/Humankind would at least let you select for a good spot within a region.

Then we get to Civ 6, which drops these anti-spam measures entirely and just lets you go wild with planting cities everywhere. The only real limiter is that cities can't be built within three tiles of another city, but the game's design still pretty much encourages you to build as tightly as that rule allows. This is definitely better than Civ 5, and is also better than OG ICS in that these cities are actually always going to be worth improving and developing, but it does also mean that large maps quickly become unwieldy from all the cities you'll be expected to found and manage (and especially since Civ has dropped the "Governor" feature since 4).

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

I wish you would go to alpha centauri, or any other solar system or galaxy. Even another planet would be fine tbh, or directly into the heart of our sun

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

gradenko_2000 posted:

One time I got around this by creating a religion based on having tundra or snow tiles (really lovely starting area), which gave a shitload of early faith & cathedrals & mosques, then completely locking down everything remotely alright, which cornered the market on furs & a couple other things. Only holy Byzantium may have the sacred fox pelts. Circumaustral, circumboreal. I think I had as much territory as everyone else combined.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
They need to fix the AI, maybe get rid of one unit per tile or something if that was the problem idk but yeah Civ 5 sucks too! Also unit movement sucks it should let your units go into a new tile with any movement left, game is too drat long anyway

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

spacemang_spliff posted:

union busting makes me feel good :twisted:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
i have 1400 hours in civ 5 and will not listen to this SLANDER

civ 6 fuckin sucks and i hate the cartoony art so much

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's funny when the mod makes America perform WORSE, right???

I haven't played any recent civ but can't you just use all the +money bonuses here to cheese it?

e: also lol that it is supposed to be anti-trump but makes it look like he is a great businessman who makes tons of money at absolutely everything he touches

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

camoseven posted:

i have 1400 hours in civ 5 and will not listen to this SLANDER

civ 6 fuckin sucks and i hate the cartoony art so much

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1702339134

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh god 5 is the only one i've ever played

with that in mind, i kinda liked the soft cap on cities and usually played small maps. i've always found multiple cities in these types of games unwieldy, for instance going for a full win of 50 provinces or w/e in rome and medieval total war was just crushingly boring

and yet i'll still give myself carpel tunnel in vicky 1 playing russia in a command economy

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Civ 6 is good. Some neat ideas there. Adjacency bonuses in particular is cool, as is two research tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

lobster shirt posted: