Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I think it's just a difference in expectations for space? I remember seeing some post from an american redditor talking about how she lives in a 1000sqft apartment and it's barely enough for one person and my gfs family lives in a 900sqft apartment with 3 people and regularly hosts guests overnight :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wonder if they were trying for a boy. I know that is a poo poo thing to assume but whenever I see a family with many kids of one gender, I presume they kept trying to get the other one.

Oh, no, they weren't trying for any of them. The twins were their only planned pregnancy and it wasn't planned for them to be twins. The other two happened on birth control. Only need to plan space for the kids you want, I guess?

Xun posted:

I think it's just a difference in expectations for space? I remember seeing some post from an american redditor talking about how she lives in a 1000sqft apartment and it's barely enough for one person and my gfs family lives in a 900sqft apartment with 3 people and regularly hosts guests overnight :shrug:

What? That American Redditor is nuts, you can put a family in an apartment that size. That's just a crazy person.

Asses per toilets/bodies per shower is a useful metric to have though.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 28, 2022

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

There's also some Dutch guy saying that it is literally unheard of in the entire country for anyone who isn't a billionaire to have multiple bathrooms even if there's ten people in a house and that having more is such massive privilege they can't even imagine it. Anybody Dutch in here?

I dunno about Belgium and the Netherlands, but every newer house I've been in from Germany to Croatia has had more than one bathroom in it, because it's the 21 century and why not? I grew up in a house with 1 bathroom for 4 people and, while it usually worked out, there were times when it was a squeeze. The few times when everyone had a bad stomach at once were… not fun.

AceClown posted:

Same in most of the UK, you might see a new build house with a downstairs guest toilet but for the most part we just have one bathroom

Yeah, but the UK is a weird, backwards island that still hasn't moved on from plumbing and electrical standards from the turn of the 20th century. It's the only place where I've seen separate hot/cold taps in houses that weren't 100+ years old and they're still petrified of electrical outlets in the bathroom even though the rest of the world figured out GFCI/RCD decades ago.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The_Franz posted:

I dunno about Belgium and the Netherlands, but every newer house I've been in from Germany to Croatia has had more than one bathroom in it, because it's the 21 century and why not? I grew up in a house with 1 bathroom for 4 people and, while it usually worked out, there were times when it was a squeeze. The few times when everyone had a bad stomach at once were… not fun.

Yeah, but the UK is a weird, backwards island that still hasn't moved on from plumbing and electrical standards from the turn of the 20th century. It's the only place where I've seen separate hot/cold taps in houses that weren't 100+ years old and they're still petrified of electrical outlets in the bathroom even though the rest of the world figured out GFCI/RCD decades ago.

* turns on both taps and alternates dipping my hands under the ice cold or boiling hot water to wash my hands *

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The best part of that is that is is an artifact from them using non-potable water from roof cisterns that birds crap in and they didn’t want to use valuable potable water from the mains for showering and washing because?

And then they just never corrected this grave error and some homes still have. These disgusting cisterns.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh, no, they weren't trying for any of them. The twins were their only planned pregnancy and it wasn't planned for them to be twins. The other two happened on birth control. Only need to plan space for the kids you want, I guess?

Reminds me of a family I knew where the parents were casually dating before she got pregnant; they ended up married shortly after she had their son. She wanted another kid, he was more on the fence. Then they had twin girls. Another few years and he was debating about a vasectomy, but apparently didn't reach the decision before she got pregnant again, this time one girl.

He finally got the vasectomy.

AITA for following family tradition?

quote:

My relatives and I always go to our family cabin for Thanksgiving. This year, I brought along my fiancé, Kat, for the first time to celebrate with my family.

When visiting the cabin, my family has a rule that only one guest/person who isn’t related to the family is allowed to come. This is a compromise because we only have enough chairs at the for each member of the family. So each year, one person doesn’t get a seat at the table. So we play a round of musical chairs to the song Jingle Bells, and the whoever loses doesn’t get to sit at the table.

We can’t buy more chairs for the table or move more another chair to the table because we stick to tradition keep the cabin the same to honor my dead great uncle who originally bought the cabin. We do have a chair that whoever loses musical chairs can sit in— it’s just not at the table. The chair is a child-sized time-out chair facing the corner that my cousins and I used to have to sit in as punishment when we were younger.

Whoever loses musical chairs sits in the punishment chair and wears a dunce cap (ironically) while they eat.

I’ve wanted to bring my fiancé along to Thanksgiving in past years but I was never able to because of the blood relative rule. But this year it was finally my turn. I didn’t tell my fiancé in advance about my family’s tradition because I didn’t want to scare her off and there are 18 family members who come, so i figured there was only a pretty small chance that she would be the one who lost musical chairs.

Unfortunately, Kat lost musical chairs.

Kat is usually pretty easygoing and doesn’t make a fuss, so I didn’t anticipate this being such a big deal. But when Kat lost and found out she looked at me incredulously. I brought her plate over to the punishment chair and jokingly gave her the (ironic) dunce hat.

She asked me if I was seriously going to make her sit in the corner by herself for Thanksgiving. I told her it wasn’t my call and that it was just a silly (ironic) tradition and asked her to just sit there as a favor to me and I’d make it up to her later, but Kat just left. We had carpooled so I had no way of getting home after this.

Once I got home Kat had packed her stuffed up and left to live with her parents. It’s been a few days now and she still won’t respond to my calls. Aita?

New remake of Ready or Not looks boring as gently caress.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

therobit posted:

The best part of that is that is is an artifact from them using non-potable water from roof cisterns that birds crap in and they didn’t want to use valuable potable water from the mains for showering and washing because?

And then they just never corrected this grave error and some homes still have. These disgusting cisterns.

Imagine being afraid of getting Legionnaires' Disease in 2022.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

therobit posted:

iirc, it was so that homes had a local water supply in case the Germans started bombing them again.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Cowslips Warren posted:

lol, owned. “I didn’t want to scare her off” with your weird rear end tradition, how’s that working out? The ex-fiancé rules, just immediately twigs onto what her future is going to look like with these nut jobs and ghosts.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

hahahahaha great job, dipshit. "sorry, it's tradition; we have to humiliate you in front of the entire family"

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

Why's that? Genuinely curious here. With enough people in a house, it just seems like a real irritation to have one bathroom.

we also have a LOT of houses that look like this:

good luck getting more than one small bathroom and maybe a downstairs piss closet in a terraced house

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AceClown posted:

we also have a LOT of houses that look like this:

good luck getting more than one small bathroom and maybe a downstairs piss closet in a terraced house

That makes sense. I mean, doesn't seem like a good time, but I see how you get there.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

therobit posted:

What the gently caress

Just coming back to this, the post itself says:

quote:

Bob started sleeping with Amelia because she was willing while my mom wanted to wait until marriage

Guessing OP mixed up Jane and Amelia's names. At least I hope they did!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Willow posted:

Just coming back to this, the post itself says:

Guessing OP mixed up Jane and Amelia's names. At least I hope they did!

quote:

Bob moved away and barely saw my cousins but he always sent me cards, presents, and messages. I also didn't find out until later but he actually paid for my college in secret so I didn't have any debt while Amelia and Bob only got partial help from him.

This is the part that confused the poo poo out of me. Bob only got partial help from Bob? are there two Bob???

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Cowslips Warren posted:

My favorite part has to be how they don't buy more chairs to honor the great-uncle's memory. I bet the family member who sits in the Punishment Chair is smiling to themselves knowing it's what Great Uncle Pawdabber would have wanted.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
They buy more chairs for “family”. You can’t bring two people who aren’t blood relations but once you get hitched (or engaged?) they buy a chair I guess. They just want to make sure there’s a baked in way to make someone feel like poo poo on the holiday as a tradition, and this year the person who was going to be humiliated was the person they wanted to join the family. Sorry, if I need to partake in a hazing ritual to join your clan I simply will not.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Why's that? Genuinely curious here. With enough people in a house, it just seems like a real irritation to have one bathroom.

Can't do one bathroom though. Maybe they can poo poo in the firepit if the bathroom is occupied.

But my friends who don't live here love it!

PS: The kids are all staying home for college.
Worse. They're all staying home for college and they're coming back home after college and living there to save up money for an apartment.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

The_Franz posted:

In Australia it’s common for older houses to have one bathroom but this was never much of a problem, even for a big family, because the toilet was in its own little separate room. You could have someone tying up the bathroom having a long shower, and someone else taking a horrific dump at the same time no worries.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

r/relationships: I brought her plate over to the punishment chair and jokingly gave her the (ironic) dunce hat.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Midnight Voyager posted:

This is the part that confused the poo poo out of me. Bob only got partial help from Bob? are there two Bob???

Yep! The son (Amelia's brother) was Bob Jr.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bargearse posted:

In Australia it’s common for older houses to have one bathroom but this was never much of a problem, even for a big family, because the toilet was in its own little separate room. You could have someone tying up the bathroom having a long shower, and someone else taking a horrific dump at the same time no worries.

Also, in that age of house, you can flush the toilet to encourage whoever's in the shower to get it over with quicker.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

r/relationships: I brought her plate over to the punishment chair and jokingly gave her the (ironic) dunce hat.

:eyepop:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Maroon Hawk posted:

that's some midsommar poo poo IMO

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

New remake of Ready or Not looks boring as gently caress

The best part of this is the day is soon coming where they sell the cabin/a younger person who doesnt know the uncle puts the foot down/etc. and the tradition dies and OP here realizes they lost a chance at love over poo poo nobody cares about

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Barudak posted:

The best part of this is the day is soon coming where they sell the cabin/a younger person who doesnt know the uncle puts the foot down/etc. and the tradition dies and OP here realizes they lost a chance at love over poo poo nobody cares about

dumb motherfucker doesn't even know that he's single rn, he ain't gonna realize poo poo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I wish I knew whether the uncle is cackling evilly from beyond the grave or endlessly frustrated at being unable to cut off that bullshit while stuck outside the mortal plane

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wish I knew whether the uncle is cackling evilly from beyond the grave or endlessly frustrated at being unable to cut off that bullshit while stuck outside the mortal plane

It's not even clear this was happening while he was alive, or if it started after he died because he only happened to have a table with 10 chairs or whatever.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Rescue Toaster posted:

It's not even clear this was happening while he was alive, or if it started after he died because he only happened to have a table with 10 chairs or whatever.

He is trapped in limbo as a ghost until some idiot brings another chair to the table.

AITA for wanting compensation after my new neighbors felled my trees?

quote:

Earlier this year I had new neighbors move in and before they even introduced themselves they removed three large, healthy trees from my front yard. They claim it was entirely the tree service‘s mistake and they insist they are not responsible for anything, let alone compensating me for the 4 figure damage. They are not helping with getting a response out of the tree service either (who unsurprisingly claim they just did as they were told). Am I the rear end in a top hat for taking the neighbors to court? I do not think I will see any compensation otherwise. They insist we are neighbors and should „fix the issue“, but they have not made any offer as to how they want to fix anything. It is not like we have been good neighbors for years and then they had a little mishap while doing yard work. They moved in, went berserk in my yard (the before and after photos still make me cry), and now are expecting me to absorb all the damage in the interest of good neighborly relations. I feel like I am being taken advantage of for initially extending some good will and suggesting we could talk about it.

Somewhere a tree lawyer just got a hard-on and doesn't know why.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

I took it as the latter, for funniest possibility

Foo Diddley posted:

dumb motherfucker doesn't even know that he's single rn, he ain't gonna realize poo poo

Like 10 years from now as he watches a younger family member get married and they joke that dumb ol chair game

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
oh hey, an update to something i don't think got posted:

AITA for telling my mom if she wants to plan a wedding to get remarried?

quote:

I (32f) recently started planning my wedding with my fiancé (31f) and my mom immediately jumped to help us plan. I thought at first it'd be ok but she will call vendors and venues she likes, will give them my information so they call me about a scheduled time and my mom swoops in to say "it'd be rude not to go since they invited you." It was obvious it was her after the third time when she wouldn't stop giggling and admitted to calling before hand and making appointments. I wouldn't take issue with this but my mom and I have wildly different tastes, every time me or my fiancé tell her something like how want to have this color for the table clothes or these flowers she'll tell us that they look bad and will give us her own plan. She recently showed us a massive binder of different ideas she wants us to look through.

It's exhausting, at every step she will insist on looking at her ideas and when we reject them she'll throw a fit and tell me I don't love her because I ignore all her wishes. I also want to add I think she's had it in her head since I was a kid she'd plan my wedding. Even before I came out and dated men she'd comment on how excited she was for the wedding, and when me and when I told her my fiancé proposed she immediately started berating me about when we'd have the wedding so she could help us plan it. Part of it is that when she married my dad it was a small courthouse affair because she was pregnant with me at the time and never got a proper wedding. My dad also died 17 years ago and she's dates sporadically but never for longer then a few months.

The last time me and my fiancé went to see a venue she tagged along and made all these comments on how gross everything was, pointing out all the tiny things wrong with it all. The person showing us was getting annoyed, my fiancé was getting annoyed and so was I. She eventually said "if this where my wedding I'd NEVER even consider this dump." despite it being absolutely beautiful and within the budget. I snapped and told her that if she wanted to plan a wedding so badly she should get remarried. It was cruel but I was so tired of her trying to have her perfect wedding through me. My fiancé thinks I'm not at fault but the rest of my family doesn't.

AITA?

Edit: adding answers to a couple common questions, is she paying for the wedding? no she's not paying a penny. Why don't you set boundaries with her? We have, she doesn't listen and will cry and guilt me and my fiancé until we go along with her or look at what she's picked out for us

UPDATE: AITA for telling my mom if she wants to plan a wedding to get remarried?

quote:

Hello everyone I took all of the advice to heart and me and my fiancé had a sit down and looked at the comments together and we agreed we both need to grow spines. Our wedding planner is truly a saint and had no problem setting up passwords with vendors like some people suggested and it was a great suggestion so thank you.

We then invited my mom to dinner and told her that she has to stop trying to help us with the wedding.

It started off bad as she brought her binder and had her own wedding dress in her car. Her dress is in very bad condition, would not fit either me or my fiancé and is quite frankly hideous. I would never say that to her face, though I've told her every time she's asked that I want to pick out my own dress and she should keep hers for if she wants to get remarried.

She assumed that we had invited her to apologize and let her plan the wedding however she wanted. How she jumped to that conclusion I have no idea.

We lied about not wanting her to get overly stressed in the hope she'd take it better then telling her that she's been causing problems and that she hasn't been helpful.

She didn't take it well and started crying, and saying all she ever wanted was for me to have the perfect wedding and she'd already given up getting the perfect son in law and grandchildren so at the least we could let her plan the wedding. It stunned us both as she has never said a bad word about me liking women, not when I came out, not when I got my first girlfriend, not when me and my fiancé got engaged.

That put me over the edge and I told her that she wasn't going to plan anything, she was a guest and nothing more and I would be cutting her speech if she was going to behave like a child. She had a full on tantrum so me and my fiancé paid and left her to cry and scream in the restaurant.

That was all fine and dandy until our florist called to tell us my mom had called to try and get the flower arrangements changed behind our back. I called her and she tried to lie until she realized she was backed into a corner and admitted to doing it because she knew what was best and was trying to help.

Needless to say that I've now uninvited her from the wedding with the full support of my fiancé and my soon to be MIL and FIL.

lots of posts have mentioned having a password system for wedding arrangements, but i don't think i've seen someone actually using it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did someone say… tree law?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

He is trapped in limbo as a ghost until some idiot brings another chair to the table.

Somewhere a tree lawyer just got a woody and doesn't know why.

Ftfy

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
AITA for lending my daughter's things away to relatives?

quote:

Hello everyone. I am having an issue with my daughter and wanted to see if I can filter this conversation through a different lens because it has become a point of contention between us.

My daughter, Sarah (fake name) does not live with us anymore because she is living in a different city for her university. Life is busy so she hardly ever comes home.

One of her interests is making hot drinks. Teas, coffees, hot chocolates. Anything hot, she is interested. As a result, she has a lot of equipment that she hasn't taken to university because she doesn't want anything to happen to her things and also there is a lot of stuff (approximately 3 cupboard shelves full).

My sister/her aunt also wanted to get into making better coffee. As a result, I let her borrow some of my daughters things. They aren't expensive and she has advanced versions of the same equipment.

Sarah came home and asked where a particular thing was (I don't remember what it was). I told her that I let her aunt use it while she was away and she kicked up a fuss. I messaged her when I lent my sister the things so it isn't like I never told her. Sarah thinks I should have asked her first before giving things away but I don't see the harm in it when she has other versions and has admitted that she enjoys using her new equipment to make drinks with anyway. Am I wrong?

EDIT - Sarah is okay with her aunt using her equipment and is just annoyed because she feels I didn't ask her properly about it.

Thank you everybody, I will admit I was in wrong here. Sharing is very common among my siblings and I growing up so I didn't think too much about it but now I see this is not the norm.

TIL my mom has a daughter in college that I didn’t know about.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

TREE LAW TREE LA--wait, earlier this year? how much earlier?

quote:

NTA- check out the treelaw sub

OP posted:

I did… back in May when this all happened

*drops giant foam "tree law" finger* yeah uh, good job gettin right on this, i'm sure it'll all work out whenever you get around to things

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cowslips Warren posted:

YAY for the girlfriend for leaving.

Not because of the stupid humiliating tradition though. (Yes it is stupid, dehumanizing and pointless. And she was right to not want to do it. But there have been much worse described in this thread alone).

Yay for her realizing that her boyfriend won't stand up for her. Even when he knows how upset she is, and how much she doesn't want to do it etc. He will still not take her side and tell her to just suck it up for the sake of decorum etc. She realized this early, and decided she didn't want a boyfriend who wouldn't take her feelings into consideration, and would take the side of a bullshit family tradition over her wellbeing. YAY for her.

I wonder how the rest of the family took her leaving? Was it a "Oops. It seems this silly tradition actually hurts peoples feelings. I guess we better think about how we do this in the future." or was it a "Geez, OP's girlfriend is such a stuck up bitch, getting all huffy and causing a scene about something so minor as her own dignity and agency. She'll learn how we do things in this family soon enough."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Maroon Hawk posted:

That was my favorite detail, the way the OP mentioned the dunce hat was (ironic) three times.

No honey we aren't calling you stupid we are asking you to ironically wear the hat that proclaims you to be an idiot. Get it? It's ironic!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I keep posting about it because I just shared the dunce cap tradition story with my wife and we dug into the musical chairs part. Imagine driving into the woods to meet this huge family for a special event and with no warning this clan starts running around the dinner table to Jingle Bells. Music stops. Do you, as the guest trying to make a good impression to your new family, muscle MeeMaw onto the floor so you can win this game with unknown stakes? Who does one round of musical chairs? Suddenly you’re standing alone and wondering what just happened, then your future husband picks up your plate of food and takes you away from the party and into the punishment chair. It’s surreal.

When I was in middle school this kid in class wanted me to come to his church, so my mom and I checked it out. We had been involved in a church in our old town and hadn’t found a fit for us after we moved. Anyway this church was in a strip mall, and about 40 minutes into the sermon the congregation gets up and starts marching around the room to symbolize the tearing down of the walls of Jericho. That wasn’t what we were expecting, and it was super weird because we didn’t want to participate so everyone was marching and stomping around us. Never went back, obviously.

Was the OP next to his fiancé during the musical chairs? Like, right before or after? Did he jostle her out of the way so he could get a seat? Why wouldn’t you make sure your fiancé got a seat at the table for the first Thanksgiving? I can’t stop picking at this.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i bet the whole family jostled her out of the way. i bet they do that to the one outsider that's allowed to come every year

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

i bet the whole family jostled her out of the way. i bet they do that to the one outsider that's allowed to come every year

And the gently caress are they gonna do if anyone marries into the family and Becomes Family? Are they going to just not allow any outsiders? I mean, she's a fiance, is she still an outsider if she becomes wife? What if they have kids?

This tradition is insane unless they expect everyone to die alone. Which they just might because of this tradition.

quote:

Historically, ppl in our family have died b4 the next person was born, so it hasn’t really been an issue. Idk what we’d do if another person was born before someone died. That’s an interesting point.

Real low loving turnover on this family, wonder why.

quote:

Traditions and doing things ironically were 2 things my uncle really loved. Idk if excluding people at Thanksgiving was what he really wanted, but he was a pretty cruel man, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.

Yeah, he was a lovely guy who was loving awful, I love alienating my loved ones to honor him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Chemtrailologist posted:

AITA for covering up cameras in the living room, bedroom and bathroom in my husband’s family home?

Run!!! You’ve joined a cult!

What a loving nightmare.