Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NaomiAKlein/status/1597031560922140673?s=20&t=CmQHC826jmBTzxaQVw7Fzw

perfect tweet to pair with her cover image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
'international left' lmao

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

it's code for people posting on twitter.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

im not surprised but still disappointed

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
lol Molly Crabapple

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

why would i side with the left wing party that actually holds power when i could side with a bunch of losers instead?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

why would i side with the left wing party that actually holds power when i could side with a bunch of losers instead?

communism is obviously rightwing they have gop colors and are on the right side of a map

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol i had to check the user because i only registered naomi at first and remembered this tweet. rip

https://twitter.com/markpopham/status/1186995263807864832

Atrocious Joe posted:

perfect tweet to pair with her cover image

is this a favela

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Xi is finished. Open Biden will open China

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SorePotato posted:

Xi is finished. Open Biden will open China

nixon got detente: china, biden's got dementia

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

lol Molly Crabapple

havent thought about her in years...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

we’re breaking the conditioning. patriots are in control. https://twitter.com/moghilemear13/status/1597005105114787841?s=46&t=zxSbR_TcwjEpeKGpqcKNyg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Chinese 'protesters' are literally what american libs think all american protestors are

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yeah im sure buddy

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

What do these people imagine the 'popular, decentralised' government of a China where the communist party has been destroyed to look like?

Is the international left supposed to stand in solidarity with China becoming a generic liberal democracy like the west, or a failed state run by warlords, or some kind of ???? system of left wing governance led by ???? groups of people

ModernMajorGeneral has issued a correction as of 05:17 on Nov 28, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

What do these people imagine the 'popular, decentralised' government of a China where the communist party has been destroyed to look like?

fish camps

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Privatization and also genocide of millions of communists

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i don’t think they are thinking that far

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Said before that expats and the journalist class have a vision of China where communism just disappears like the morning mist and reveals what amounts to a quirky rustic tourist trap called China full of smiling servile natives that serves as an exotic playground for the bourgeois.

SorePotato posted:

Also basically this, yes.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://youtu.be/0PrLoNaHPHE

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

SorePotato posted:

I know this is true for most people but I'm trying to understand this from the point of view Naomi Klein and similar western leftists who I guess believe that privatisation and capitalism are not good and presumably then think that the ideal outcome for China is something other than becoming, like, post soviet Russia or Indonesia or South Korea.

I guess just them having not really thought that far ahead is the most likely explanation

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
mention covid and all cspammers reveal their love of capitalism lol

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I know this is true for most people but I'm trying to understand this from the point of view Naomi Klein and similar western leftists who I guess believe that privatisation and capitalism are not good and presumably then think that the ideal outcome for China is something other than becoming, like, post soviet Russia or Indonesia or South Korea.

I guess just them having not really thought that far ahead is the most likely explanation

There is absolutely no vision beyond "democracy :)" and also genocide

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i think we need to post some heckin puppers to drown out the negativity of the cov*d word

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Send in the tanks

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Naomi Klein is really good at offering up criticisms of capitalism, but can’t seem to ever do anything but throw up her arms and say “well whaddya gonna do?” because to suggest any alternative system (or sharp solutions) would remove the sheen (and book deals, and speaking engagements, and round table thought leader panels) of Acceptable Leftist for Liberals that she has.

sitchensis has issued a correction as of 05:41 on Nov 28, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Consent machine really kicking in something fierce now huh? Nightly news leading with 'protests farther momentum in china, calls for xi to step down'. Pretty crazy to see it get so blatant and I thought the puff segments on the javelin missile were bad.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lessail posted:

mention covid and all cspammers reveal their love of capitalism lol

just like their favorite podcasters and twitch streamers!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

just like their favorite podcasters and twitch streamers!

lol which leftist podcasters and streamers went open biden in china? i guess felix complaining about gyms being closed was a big one near the beginning

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Consent machine really kicking in something fierce now huh? Nightly news leading with 'protests farther momentum in china, calls for xi to step down'. Pretty crazy to see it get so blatant and I thought the puff segments on the javelin missile were bad.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

why do you think they consider privatisation and capitalism bad

the democrats are solid reaganites and the acceptable left wing that gets to make money and be on tv just want people to be sad about the negative effects and say that's a shame without changing anything

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ummm yeaah…… i’m thinking it’s time for a #GeneralStrike

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

generic liberal democracy like the west, or a failed state run by warlords

Stop repeating yourself please.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It has parallels to people demanding Assad Must Go: who runs the Syrian government government afterwards? Who runs the bureaucracy and civil services? Who keeps the water running? Who keeps the power running? There's no "exit strategy", here.

Even if you were to have the most charitable interpretation of "popular, decentralized" rule, such that it's a state of affairs where local/regional governments get to have more autonomy over themselves but is otherwise similar to how it is today, that doesn't actually address the problem of COVID policy specifically, because a contributing factor to the Xinjiang fire was the local government being overzealous in its pursuit of COVID-zero policies, even after already having been told by the central government not to do that.

And on top of Hong Kong opening up to disastrous results being the result of it having that kind of autonomy as a SAR

And on top of the original outbreak in Wuhan being the result of local government being timid in their response

Nothing about it makes sense beyond raw anticommunism

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Is the international left supposed to stand in solidarity with China becoming a generic liberal democracy like the west, or a failed state run by warlords, or some kind of ???? system of left wing governance led by ???? groups of people

If it must happen, China should become generic liberal democracy with strong state control of capital so we can see western libs just become more openly racist as they no longer have the facade of Evil CCP to mask their anger at a foreign country eating their lunch.

We could see the amped up Sinophobia that leads to stuff like "We can't play Tchaikovsky because Russia"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i didn't support anti-lockdown protests in the U.S.

i didn't support anti-lockdown protests in canada

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

china is sitting on wealth and its labor is getting too expensive. time for western capitalism to enter its markets.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

It has parallels to people demanding Assad Must Go: who runs the Syrian government government afterwards? Who runs the bureaucracy and civil services? Who keeps the water running? Who keeps the power running? There's no "exit strategy", here.

Even if you were to have the most charitable interpretation of "popular, decentralized" rule, such that it's a state of affairs where local/regional governments get to have more autonomy over themselves but is otherwise similar to how it is today, that doesn't actually address the problem of COVID policy specifically, because a contributing factor to the Xinjiang fire was the local government being overzealous in its pursuit of COVID-zero policies, even after already having been told by the central government not to do that.

And on top of Hong Kong opening up to disastrous results being the result of it having that kind of autonomy as a SAR

And on top of the original outbreak in Wuhan being the result of local government being timid in their response

Nothing about it makes sense beyond raw anticommunism

Though wasn't a co tributing factor in the fire being the street was so packed with cars its effected the ability of the firefighters to do their job, which I assume means run hoses amd get access to the fire hydrants which sounds like less a COVID zero problem and more of a alternate side of the street parking problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Telluric Whistler posted:

If it must happen, China should become generic liberal democracy with strong state control of capital so we can see western libs just become more openly racist as they no longer have the facade of Evil CCP to mask their anger at a foreign country eating their lunch.

We could see the amped up Sinophobia that leads to stuff like "We can't play Tchaikovsky because Russia"

See also how the US didn't actually stop treating Russia as an enemy after Russia stopped being communist.

Would at least be lol to see Falun Gong and expats be treated as the enemy rather than brave refugees