Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Domino is more for making the draws consistent. I’d more likely drop something else honestly. Enchantress hasn’t really solved many problems honestly.

Also I don’t have psylocke :negative:

I believe someone has done the math and the benefit of the guaranteed t2 draw is outweighed by the cost that it also guarantees you CANT draw your combo piece on t2. The draw chance is more valuable than the deck space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

buffalo all day posted:

I believe someone has done the math and the benefit of the guaranteed t2 draw is outweighed by the cost that it also guarantees you CANT draw your combo piece on t2. The draw chance is more valuable than the deck space.

Show your work, but more importantly, give me a psylocke because I believe you

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Show your work, but more importantly, give me a psylocke because I believe you

writing my daily DEAR BEN letter begging to let me trade cards

Here’s the math I was thinking, which I am stealing from Reddit because I do not know what hypergeometric means:

Quicksilver and Domino reduces your odds and Chavez increases your odds - I did the math a few days ago in a different context:

You want to play jubiler on turn 4. You include Quicksilver, Domino and 9 other cards. You won't draw either in your opening hand or later, so this is a hypergeometric sample of 1 success in 5 draws (opening hand + turn 3 and 4) from 10 cards, which is 50%.

You want to play jubilee on turn 4. You include her and 11 other cards, doesn't matter which or what value. This is a hypergeometric sample of 1 success in 7 draws from 12 cards, which is ~58%.

Chavez works differently because she is guaranteed to be drawn later, which reduces your options until turn 6. Including her means you draw from 11 cards, upping the chance to ~63%.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I wish I had Doc Ock. I'd love to synergize him some way but I usually see it backfire. Death's Domain would be hilarious. Also combo well with Shang Chi, Enchantress, or Rouge.

Another deck I want to try is an Ongoing deck utilizing Onslaught, Mystique, Omega Red, and another creature to assure Omega Red pops off like Ant-Man/Punisher/Mojo. Would use Magic to jump to turn 7. Causes 16 power on other sides, even if Prof. X is there. If I can get Patriot, making a vanilla powered deck can work too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

buffalo all day posted:

writing my daily DEAR BEN letter begging to let me trade cards

Here’s the math I was thinking, which I am stealing from Reddit because I do not know what hypergeometric means:

Quicksilver and Domino reduces your odds and Chavez increases your odds - I did the math a few days ago in a different context:

You want to play jubiler on turn 4. You include Quicksilver, Domino and 9 other cards. You won't draw either in your opening hand or later, so this is a hypergeometric sample of 1 success in 5 draws (opening hand + turn 3 and 4) from 10 cards, which is 50%.

You want to play jubilee on turn 4. You include her and 11 other cards, doesn't matter which or what value. This is a hypergeometric sample of 1 success in 7 draws from 12 cards, which is ~58%.

Chavez works differently because she is guaranteed to be drawn later, which reduces your options until turn 6. Including her means you draw from 11 cards, upping the chance to ~63%.

I swapped domino out with killmonger for some counterplay, and it seems to work just as good at least!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

I wish I had Doc Ock. I'd love to synergize him some way but I usually see it backfire. Death's Domain would be hilarious. Also combo well with Shang Chi, Enchantress, or Rouge.

Another deck I want to try is an Ongoing deck utilizing Onslaught, Mystique, Omega Red, and another creature to assure Omega Red pops off like Ant-Man/Punisher/Mojo. Would use Magic to jump to turn 7. Causes 16 power on other sides, even if Prof. X is there. If I can get Patriot, making a vanilla powered deck can work too.

Oh I thought it would be hilarious. It was kind of funny but not because it works the way you're thinking it does. The player isn't playing cards, they don't get destroyed.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

buffalo all day posted:

Yeah, the "guarantee draw" cards are more useful in specific context. Chavez good for a lot of combo decks because she makes sure that your pool for the first five turns is 11 cards instead of 12.

Domino useful if you want to keep things in your deck (for Jubilee, etc) because it makes sure you DON'T draw any of the big cards on turn 2. I think.

Posted before I saw you explain this in more detail, lol

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Waffleopolis posted:

Patriot is a fun deck. Works well with Ultron, you're just playing regular dudes, and end up with 6-power drones on Washington out of nowhere

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I had a cool game yesterday.

On Turn 1 Ego was revealed. My opponent snapped and then did the spiderman-point emote. I responded with both. We both fist-bumped after that.

Game fully played out for a 8 cube loss because my Ego sucked at playing my deck but it felt really in the spirit of the game.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

The Sean posted:

I had a cool game yesterday.

On Turn 1 Ego was revealed. My opponent snapped and then did the spiderman-point emote. I responded with both. We both fist-bumped after that.

Game fully played out for a 8 cube loss because my Ego sucked at playing my deck but it felt really in the spirit of the game.

I pray for Ego to be a hot location for the sheer chaos

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh I thought it would be hilarious. It was kind of funny but not because it works the way you're thinking it does. The player isn't playing cards, they don't get destroyed.

At least that's funny in a different way!

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Is it me or are movement decks the most inconsistent archetype? Even with the Bifrost event, I see a ton of movement decks and some manage to be pretty powerful but others get stomped pretty easily. I know they're super fun to play as but I hope they get some love in the future meta.

Had to buy the welcome bundle to grind more missions but managed to squeak ny CL1000. I still don't believe the patch will drop BEFORE the new season starts; that makes no sense.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pINKfFaccTk

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Domino is more for making the draws consistent. I’d more likely drop something else honestly. Enchantress hasn’t really solved many problems honestly.

Ironheart is a good candidate for a second option of cards I’m glad to play on Wong (especially with Odin and a couple cards in another lane).

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.
Juggernauting them into Kingpin is a pretty satisfying turn 6 when you get it right. Also is nice to have a bit of an anti-move deck. I don't have Aero or Magneto yet.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

Banjo Bones posted:

Is it me or are movement decks the most inconsistent archetype? Even with the Bifrost event, I see a ton of movement decks and some manage to be pretty powerful but others get stomped pretty easily. I know they're super fun to play as but I hope they get some love in the future meta.

Had to buy the welcome bundle to grind more missions but managed to squeak ny CL1000. I still don't believe the patch will drop BEFORE the new season starts; that makes no sense.

There was tweet from someone at second dinner explaining that seasons roll out without patches I guess somehow, but the release schedule for updates is really specific because of Apple approval or something to that effect. Basically its beyond some of their control.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Hot/Featured locations seem kinda annoying, imo.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

They can be annoying, but I like they give a good reason to change up what you're doing and try out a new deck archetype you wouldn't have otherwise.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
on the plus side it gives incentive to run things other than the one deck you really care about, but on the other marvel snap seems to really like getting in the way of playing the one deck you really care about

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

flatluigi posted:

on the plus side it gives incentive to run things other than the one deck you really care about, but on the other marvel snap seems to really like getting in the way of playing the one deck you really care about

It never fails that the first game after putting together a new deck you're going to get Weirdworld or District X as a location, potentially back-to-back even

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The one time I got Ego the person retreated.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Tried a Omega Red/Mystique deck, and got it to pop off in the first game!

Here's a first draft of the deck:

Feels like it needs some tweaks and another wincon, but not sure what to cut/add.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah, it’s kind of weird that a game that involves 12 card decks which each have a pretty specific game plan runs into so many locations that force you to switch up your game plan. Where/when am I meant to find the flexibility to adjust, Ben?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I like the rotating ones because it gets me to switch things up a bit and try new archetypes. As long as it's not Attilan, the most frustrating location.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, it seems like with Featured/Hot locations and just locations in general, the devs want to prevent a true meta from calcifying between new card drops. Your deck might be strong, but you can't really guarantee the game state you'll have so no one deck can be come outright oppressive.

It's nice that it helps keep game fresh in a way, but also sometimes you just want to slam down midrange shaman and get some free ranks.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Waffleopolis posted:

Feels like it needs some tweaks and another wincon, but not sure what to cut/add.

That looks sick as all hell and I'm gonna try it out.

Initial thoughts: Maybe either ditch Mr. Fantastic for another cheap 1 cost card (Sunspot?) to help with activating Ant-Man, or replace the latter (or even both) with something higher cost like Ronan/Warpath/Devil Dinosaur/etc? Warpath in particular could feels like it could be strong here.

I've been using this Mr. Negative deck a lot the last few days and it's real dumb and super random but fun and somehow wins a lot of games.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

feel-good play of the day: dropped a Lockjaw I got from a location on an On Reveal Effects Happen Twice location. Then dropped a Rocket Racoon + Antman on the next turn the enemy dropped a card. Rocket Racoon triggered twice, then got swapped out. Then Antman played and got swapped out... for Rocket Racoon who triggered two more times from the enemy's drop.

Still lost the match because I'm rank 48 and collection level 180 on this new account so I am playing against full pool 2 decks while still missing a bunch of pool 1 :pwn: It turns out if you play very late at night you face almost nothing but bots that you can easily farm for rank.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

1stGear posted:

Yeah, it seems like with Featured/Hot locations and just locations in general, the devs want to prevent a true meta from calcifying between new card drops. Your deck might be strong, but you can't really guarantee the game state you'll have so no one deck can be come outright oppressive.

It's nice that it helps keep game fresh in a way, but also sometimes you just want to slam down midrange shaman and get some free ranks.

The featured/hot locations lower deck diversity because people just run the obvious cards for that location.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 28, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
People run the obvious cards, but there's almost always a counter to the obvious cards, and a counter to the counter, etc -- it also vibes with the weird way card collection works in this game, where maybe you haven't unlocked the generally good meta cards but you've unlocked some stuff that works great with the featured locations and can have a field day. I don't hate it as a 24 hour thing but I think eventually if they get sick of adding a new location every week it would be okay to move to just doing one day a week, alternating between new locations/featured ones.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lol just ran into Maximus for the first time, what a bullshit card. Cool I guess my Strong Guy just gets neutered and there's nothing I can do about it.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/NathanConquers/status/1597079906550104064

:stare:

Just pulled Mr. Negative. Maaaybe might try a Wong/Mister Negative deck once I pull/buy Psylocke.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Lol I admit I've never thought of the esoteric Strong Guy meta counter potential there, but Maximus is indeed a little strong. I think he'd still be pretty good with a "can't play after turn X" restriction like Ebony Maw because as-is the downside isn't really that relevant if you play him late

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

lmao. I didn't know locations could dupe. The transform into another location is an "at the end of turn 4" thing I believe

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Studio posted:

lmao. I didn't know locations could dupe. The transform into another location is an "at the end of turn 4" thing I believe

Yeah, it took me a while to realize Mirror Dimension was "transform into one of the other two locations", not "transform into another random location" (that's Westview).

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Studio posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's at the beginning of turn 4.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

GarudaPrime posted:

There was tweet from someone at second dinner explaining that seasons roll out without patches I guess somehow, but the release schedule for updates is really specific because of Apple approval or something to that effect. Basically its beyond some of their control.
You can push new data to games without an update, it's effectively just pulling down a text file from the server that says how the season is put together, how cards are balanced, what packs are in the shop and how much they cost etc.

Actual full game changes that include new code, content and so on need to go through the Apple submission process (which takes a number of days based on how busy Apple are and how cosy your relationship is with them).

In either case, they can push it live whenever they feel like once it's ready to go.

MissMarple fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 28, 2022

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

BoldFace posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's at the beginning of turn 4.

oh, you're right!

The Wikis are just... wrong

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Studio posted:

Heads up: I once had it dupe The Raft after I filled it out, and the new copy of it came with its power already used.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Studio posted:

oh, you're right!

The Wikis are just... wrong

No, just out of date. Mirror Dimension was I believe specifically changed because previously it could turn into Murderworld or Attilan and buttfuck people without any warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
woop woop just got into Omaga rank

thanks Armin Zola