Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

rough allergy day today especially since I refuse to take pills for it. gonna go ahead and blame climate change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Climate change? Honey that's just the seasons, it happens every year. Just wish that my bees understood that, they've been struggling the past few years

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Microplastics posted:

Bugs are nature's poor people. Disgusting and unsightly, and mostly expendable, but kinda need to keep them around to do and make things for the people who matter.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

moana posted:

We went to a crystal store to get a crystal for a friend who believes in that poo poo when she was in the hospital. The salesperson asked us what disease she had so they could recommend the best crystal. Apparently "raging alcoholism" isn't in the crystal DSM though, so we picked a purply one.

ghostbuster dan aykroyd has been trying to remediate this diagnostic oversight

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
because post count is at an all time low, i assume that cop27 was a success!!!!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Hubbert posted:

because post count is at an all time low, i assume that cop27 was a success!!!!

The earth is saved!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there’s just more important things than the biosphere right now. like elong muusk buying twitter, or number going up/down. plus it’s cold outside, who cares what happens out there. we could use a little warming if you ask me

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

global warming? it's currently cold outside :smug:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

They say all water on earth is poisoned, but if that's true why does my brita filter the water?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Lol cool gotta move more oil

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/11/23/texas-oil-export-terminal-approval-biden-climate/

quote:

The Biden administration has approved plans to build the nation’s largest oil export terminal off the Gulf Coast of Texas, which would add 2 million barrels per day to the U.S. oil export capacity.

The approval by the Department of Transportation’s Maritime Administration was filed in the federal register on Monday without any public announcement, a day after the United Nations’ annual climate conference wrapped up in Sharm el-Sheik, Egypt.

Earthworks, an environmental nonprofit, spotted the filing and publicized approval of the Sea Port Oil Terminal on Tuesday.

Just the most progressive president in history folks. Progressively exporting more and more oil that is.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The United States has no strategic interest in reducing global energy supply. None whatsoever. Any possible problems are years down the line and will mostly be another administration's problem anyway and the next generation can solve it then.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's time to get hosed up on oil and save the biosphere and I'm all out of biosphere

hot apron mom 69
Nov 3, 2022

Rectal Death Adept posted:

it's time to get hosed up on oil and save the biosphere and I'm all out of biosphere
Let's Rock!

Dun dun dun, ba dum bum

*sirens blare* *guitar riff* *explosion sounds*

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
awhile ago the thread was looking what it takes to and looks like when the internet goes away and ethiopia is kind of dealing with that

https://www.reuters.com/article/ethiopia-internet-shutdown-idAFL8N2ZM09X

quote:

FEATURE-Six million silenced: A two-year internet outage in Ethiopia

The only way to communicate is “via paper reports that need to be delivered by hand. All meetings have to be held in person”.

As the war between Ethiopian forces and rebels of the Oromo Liberation Army intensified over 2019 and 2020, residents used their phones when they could to alert each other to approaching fighting - until broadband and mobile internet shut down.

“Now it’s all a gamble - they leave it to God,” said Tolessa, who asked to use a pseudonym to protect his identity.

https://allafrica.com/stories/202211180043.html

quote:

Ethiopia: Govt Prepares to Host UN Internet Forum Amid Tigray Blackout

The blackout in Tigray is not the only shutdown in Ethiopia. Communications have also been turned off in parts of Oromia, Ethiopia's largest region, where an armed group is battling the government.

Addis Ababa was left without internet for weeks in 2020, following a wave of violence that was sparked by the killing of a popular Oromo musician.

Felicia Anthonio, a manager at internet rights group Access Now, said the internet forum is an "opportunity" to highlight the blackout affecting Tigray.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

which one of you wrote this

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/11/26/2136772/-Australia-is-hosed

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

mawarannahr posted:

maybe someone can grow this. it’s a tree though so you should start soon.

https://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/salvadora-persica

I actually looked into this the last time you mentioned miswak. With a bit of microclimate manipulation we can push the envelop in our Zone 8 cool maritime climate and grow some cool stuff in a place it doesn't belong. Unfortunately while the average temperatures of our winters have been increasing the extremes have been getting more extreme. Excursions into -18o C territory every winter basically kills any edge cases that aren't in a heated greenhouse. Hanging incandescent Christmas lights on your hardy citrus up against a south wall isn't cutting it anymore.

At least one of our best figs is still trucking along in the new regime. The variety is frequently misspelled as "Dessert King" because desert?? here???

SniperWoreConverse posted:

there's a cool brand of herbal toothpaste that has no fluoride and is derived from extracts, so you can keep your plastic intake up and fluoride low. (The actual miswak tree has high fluoride concentrations.)

Is that a problem? I read an account once of the Indigenous people of the Amazon basin using high fluoride twigs to treat their teeth when they were young. Reportedly it stained their teeth for life but there was no tooth decay in the adults.

Good luck trying to tease out any health effects from high fluoride exposure in childhood from other effects due to colonization.

jetz0r posted:

it's the butthole

Given how many of us like to get shitfaced it's just one more reason for our bdelloid being the superior mascot.

Erghh posted:

awhile ago the thread was looking what it takes to and looks like when the internet goes away and ethiopia is kind of dealing with that

https://www.reuters.com/article/ethiopia-internet-shutdown-idAFL8N2ZM09X

https://allafrica.com/stories/202211180043.html

But we were told the Internet routes around damage. I guess strictly speaking it has, but it must suck to be in the country it routed around.

Time to take a look at where mesh networks and ham radio are at.

:lol:

Sorry Australia, but you're not special. We're all hosed.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

This is literally why I moved to where I am. Even with warming and drying out the climate here should still have great weather

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

titty_baby_ posted:

This is literally why I moved to where I am. Even with warming and drying out the climate here should still have great weather

Edit: whoa I thought this was the truml thread and I quoted a post of an unknown age

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No I mean the twigs are good but the bullshit toothpaste is bad

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

some headline posted:

Synthetic fibres discovered in Antarctic samples show the ‘pristine’ continent is now a sink for plastic pollution

I love how this is phrased: If you're not a source, you're a sink. Like the sheep/ wolf dynamic.

edit: though I guess it would be a sink - I was thinking of plastic dispersion like osmosis, but freezing some amount in antarctic ice would 'permanently' take it out of circulation, so... :shrug:

take_it_slow has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Nov 27, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
What's wrong with toothpaste now? :chloe:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
There's a brand of herbal extract toothpaste where the herb has a lot of fluoride (which is part of why it works) but the "natural" toothpaste has none

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

take_it_slow posted:

I love how this is phrased: If you're not a source, you're a sink. Like the sheep/ wolf dynamic.

edit: though I guess it would be a sink - I was thinking of plastic dispersion like osmosis, but freezing some amount in antarctic ice would 'permanently' take it out of circulation, so... :shrug:

ur mum is a sink :grin:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Hexigrammus posted:

Given how many of us like to get shitfaced it's just one more reason for our bdelloid being the superior mascot.

:thurman:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1596922071786741760

quote:

“Of 100 men infected and not hospitalized four had no viable sperm. Of 100 men not infected, none had this condition.”
conspiracy theory: rime made the virus to destroy america :twisted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

:dong:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

4 out 100 guys were probably sterile before covid

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Real hurthling! posted:

4 out 100 guys were probably sterile before covid

no actually they tested that and they were not

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dang

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
There's cringe on this page

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

There's a brand of herbal extract toothpaste where the herb has a lot of fluoride (which is part of why it works) but the "natural" toothpaste has none

Oh gotcha I thought you were legit saying fluoride was bad or something

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

very much “if I would of done it” energy. Most people will live out the remainder of their lives but this will be the end of species, not great not terrible.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It's extremely cool that all sorts of flora is blooming in November. Probably won't cause any problems going forward.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i cant believe they invented time travel just to jerk these dudes off before they got covid

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Xaris posted:

COVID doing what politicians won’t. Saving the biosphere.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

No I mean the twigs are good but the bullshit toothpaste is bad

I see that now. Some nights I just kant rede gud.

Xaris posted:

It boggles my mind that we have now have a virus that kills based on political ideology, and now this. I will continue to hide in the woods relying on the covid thread to let me know when it's safe to emerge into the smoking remains of society.

Wondering if the vasectomy was premature. Nah, best if it's just me stumbling around in the ruins bearing witness and giggling hysterically behind my mask.

SplitSoul posted:

It's extremely cool that all sorts of flora is blooming in November. Probably won't cause any problems going forward.
Arctic outflow winds coming down the inlets in the next couple of days. Here comes the killing cold snap!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

i cant believe they invented time travel just to jerk these dudes off

Dudes rock

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xaris posted:

Don't get too excited... Toros University is trash-tier.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://modernfarmer.com/2022/11/cranberry-film-packaging/

Science solves another problem! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

[Biosphere Collapse] All other end-times believers posting station

Edit: oh never mind that's still referring to Jesusers. Where's our survey, hmm??

Microplastics has issued a correction as of 14:05 on Nov 28, 2022