Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Canyon Oasis for Jedi Knight if you were playing NF guns, probably Battleground Jedi otherwise. Streets of Nar Shaddaa for CTF, which was really the only game in town, which is a shame because Arena of Light and Dark is also a good map, but massively underrated.

For Mysteries of the Sith it's probably Spaceport, as far as I remember. Shame no one played MotS MP, it's got some really fun maps in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

mirarant posted:

Facing worlds and deck17 were popular in UT.

Man I just got hit with a blast of nostalgia when I looked up DM-Dogtown, which was a custom map for UT'99 that I played the poo poo out of.

It was basically a large city block that existed somewhere between the tedious repetition of a "realistic" sim map and the surreal qualities of a classic UT map: great variety, you could enter a lot of the buildings and shops, and lots of different ways to navigate the map--but it didn't get bogged down in unnecessary details.

Such a great map.

EDIT: Actually the copy I have of it is called "DM-Downtown"--I guess mine is the original version of it.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 26, 2022

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man I just got hit with a blast of nostalgia when I looked up DM-Dogtown, which was a custom map for UT'99 that I played the poo poo out of.

It was basically a large city block that existed somewhere between the tedious repetition of a "realistic" sim map and the surreal qualities of a classic UT map: great variety, you could enter a lot of the buildings and shops, and lots of different ways to navigate the map--but it didn't get bogged down in unnecessary details.

Such a great map.

EDIT: Actually the copy I have of it is called "DM-Downtown"--I guess mine is the original version of it.

I just tried this and it was pretty good. Actually had one of the better implementations of ladders I've ever seen implemented into a custom UT99 map, just really fluid and doesn't require a bunch of messing around.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Ut2k4: ons-torlan
wolfet: gold rush
Cod1: carentan

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Jabroni Brawl is all the good Half-Life mod weirdness I missed out on back in the day, being stuck on slow internet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Animal-Mother posted:

Jabroni Brawl is all the good Half-Life mod weirdness I missed out on back in the day, being stuck on slow internet.

Been saying this.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Well except I had slow internet and still played teh mods.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I just played a round of Fart Cops. Was...... Was that a popular one back in the day?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Torlan was dope. RIP Onslaught.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

dracula vladdy AF posted:

Canyon Oasis for Jedi Knight if you were playing NF guns, probably Battleground Jedi otherwise. Streets of Nar Shaddaa for CTF, which was really the only game in town, which is a shame because Arena of Light and Dark is also a good map, but massively underrated.

For Mysteries of the Sith it's probably Spaceport, as far as I remember. Shame no one played MotS MP, it's got some really fun maps in it.

Woahhh, spaceport is totally burnt into my core memories. How fun was that carbonite gun where you could freeze and smash players?

I would do anything to play it again.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Is this a fan made song or actually a musician that's singing about...Warcraft 2 lol I love it

Jabroni Brawl is good fun, can recommend - still a lot of maps I've yet to try out though

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

I think Wake Island is kind of The Canon Battlefield Map on account of being the map in the original BF1942 demo.

It could be Wake is what I was thinking of. I just remember mostly being teamkilled for having the temerity to get into a Zero before the guy who “had dibs.”

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Shame no one played MotS MP, it's got some really fun maps in it.

For real. I didn't have reliable internet when I had the games as a kid, but I'd still load up the multiplayer maps to explore them in amazement.

For Day of Defeat it's a bit tricky, but probably Donner? It was the one that was always around, and in my mind is "the" DoD map. But Avalanche was super popular for its asymmetry, and Flash was popular for its small size. And then there was always a 24/7 Charlie server for nerds that just wanted to roleplay d-day.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

meta² posted:

Woahhh, spaceport is totally burnt into my core memories. How fun was that carbonite gun where you could freeze and smash players?

I would do anything to play it again.

I loved the carbonite gun. it was... divisive, as I recall, lots of rooms on the Zone would have a house rule where that and the seeker rail were not allowed. tbh the seeker was probably the worse of the two, the tracking on it is incredibly janky and consequently it's nearly impossible to dodge if you don't have a corner you can run around.

Jehde posted:

For real. I didn't have reliable internet when I had the games as a kid, but I'd still load up the multiplayer maps to explore them in amazement.

same for me. it was really hard to get people in a MotS lobby, JK was pretty simple but MotS was a bridge too far for most folks. the default game had a ton of maps, far more than what JK had, and I remember wandering around them all the time. I also remember these custom maps made by a guy called Red XIIII (lmao) who made these half janky/half intricate maps that usually had some final fantasy theming (including music, holy mackerel) in them and as a kid I loved checking those out. kind of doubt they hold up in retrospect.

I will also say: for custom SP levels/campaigns, MotS generally had much better offerings than JK. I think there were less MotS levels released as a whole, but in general the quality was way, way higher. Weapon mods were 100% better in JK though. MotS had the weapons added from the Leeza Haynes series of levels and the somewhat shittier additions from One Rebel's Sacrifice, but that was about it. I have genuinely no idea how I remember the details of any of that.

incidentally looking it up, the character of Leeza Haynes is pretty much a Mara Jade OC in the same way that Sonic OCs are made lmao

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 27, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Never got to play MOTS single player since I didn’t own a copy until years later. JK multiplayer on the Zone I got to play a tiny bit. Just for people in chat to yell at me for using guns.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Never got to play MOTS single player since I didn’t own a copy until years later. JK multiplayer on the Zone I got to play a tiny bit. Just for people in chat to yell at me for using guns.

people would get pissed off at the slightest thing. they'd make a room with full force, sabers only, and then get pissed off if you used the wrong power. I remember using absorb and heal, two totally normal powers, set people off. they could have just made a no force room but nope

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
=:DS:= Dark Side Clan - Rancor Rumble Duel Server 24/7 - Classic Trilogy Force Powers ONLY - Purple Light Saber = PERMANINT BAN

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I remember this one JK map that was a collaboration between a few people in the same clan, it was called Purgatory and it was this weird, grandiose map based on the idea of purgatory, interpreted by people making levels for Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. there were scripts set up so that if you used certain lightside powers (absorb and protection iirc) it would immediately warp you to hell and they did that because they just didn't abide those powers, pretty sure it said as such in the readme.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
for fun, here are some examples of JK mods from back in the late 90s, early 00's (some of the dates probably aren't accurate)

one thing that's interesting about going back through the mods and seeing what there is is how earnest the whole enterprise is, both the mods themselves as well as most of the comments about them. like people will give the mod a rating and go through and explain why. feels like a simpler time

I kind of feel bad for the people making individual skins since the game didn't allow you to use a custom skin if the host didn't have it also, so odds are the 1291 downloads of jar-jar didn't amount to much unless everyone in the room was using the skin as well.

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 27, 2022

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

I remember this one JK map that was a collaboration between a few people in the same clan, it was called Purgatory and it was this weird, grandiose map based on the idea of purgatory, interpreted by people making levels for Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. there were scripts set up so that if you used certain lightside powers (absorb and protection iirc) it would immediately warp you to hell and they did that because they just didn't abide those powers, pretty sure it said as such in the readme.

I loved that map. Too big to play well but fun to explore and find secrets on.
Also starting with a reading of William Blake(?) was just weird.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

people would get pissed off at the slightest thing. they'd make a room with full force, sabers only, and then get pissed off if you used the wrong power. I remember using absorb and heal, two totally normal powers, set people off. they could have just made a no force room but nope

If you don't bow before you engage in one-on-one light saber combat with your foe, do you even have True Honour?

Also if you interrupt my duel with some uncouth weapon like a blaster or rocket launcher I swear to christ I will track down your IP address and descend upon you like the wrath of god

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 27, 2022

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

I kind of feel bad for the people making individual skins since the game didn't allow you to use a custom skin if the host didn't have it also, so odds are the 1291 downloads of jar-jar didn't amount to much unless everyone in the room was using the skin as well.

Unreal was the same and my (lovely, I am by no means an artist even now decades later) Rei / Asuka skins ended up in at least one popular megapack, completely without attribution (I did see someone with actual art skills end up doing better versions later) was the JK multiplayer scene that different

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

ookiimarukochan posted:

Unreal was the same and my (lovely, I am by no means an artist even now decades later) Rei / Asuka skins ended up in at least one popular megapack, completely without attribution (I did see someone with actual art skills end up doing better versions later) was the JK multiplayer scene that different

it was largely the same. generally if you were ever using a unique skin it was because you were playing a gameplay overhaul like SBX that had a ton of skins incorporated into already. otherwise the system was too cumbersome to get much use out of them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Little surprised it took so long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYziPapZWDw
These things are neat tech demos, but I'd never want to actually play Quake like this.

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Just finished "Cultic" ... this is good, very good.

I liked the visual style most in the underground levels, the above-ground levels are ok, if a bit samey.
The crypts and excavation site are my favorites, the limited color palette together with the lighting work really well in those levels, creating a spooky atmosphere with a certain "Dungeon Keeper"-feel at times.

What I think was not mentioned here (or i misused it), is how absolutely fantastic the soundtrack is.
At first I was not sure if 80s synths could work with a horror game, but it does. Starts with some Carpenter-vibes, but later in the campaign also mixes rock and classical elements into it. And it's nice how it dynamically changes during level sections, the combat tracks really get the blood pumping and make the big battles all the more intense.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mordja posted:

Little surprised it took so long

These things are neat tech demos, but I'd never want to actually play Quake like this.

yeah these projects need a lot of work on the art side to actually look good (PBR textures and re-lighting levels) which rarely gets done well, if at all

speaking of which, portal RTX was supposed to come out this month, nvidia is cutting it close

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I had high hopes for Quake RTX since Romero released the map sources so in theory you could place the map lights in exactly the same place. In practice I’m sure there are a lot of reasons why it wouldn’t look the same as the original lighting, but it should be a ton closer than Quake 2 RTX which doesn’t even try.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I haven't played Quake RTX, of course, but I feel like I'm in the minority in that I'd love to go through the full campaign with it :shrug:

I don't like those Unreal 5 HD remakes of Doom and stuff, those are glossy and lifeless. This is thankfully leaving all of the modelling and geometry alone, and adding in more spooky and reactive lighting. I think that's a fair compromise to add a little spice to a game we've all played to death.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I was hoping my 1080 could run it at low res like Q2RTX but no dice :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

For anyone who loved Doom 2016 and also loved Eternal, when you played Eternal, did it make 2016 kind of obsolete? I've beaten 2016's campaign, and now I'm going through, doing all of the challenges, getting all the weapons upgrades... basically trying to 100% the game. I'm wondering if I get Eternal and play that before finishing what I'm doing, will I even feel like going back at all, or are they different enough that I'd be ok doing that.

Eh, I'll probably just wait.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
2016 doesn’t play that much like Eternal. They’re similar and you can clearly see how they got from the first to the second, but not the same by any means.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The final to-do list for Force Engine v1.0.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For anyone who loved Doom 2016 and also loved Eternal, when you played Eternal, did it make 2016 kind of obsolete? I've beaten 2016's campaign, and now I'm going through, doing all of the challenges, getting all the weapons upgrades... basically trying to 100% the game. I'm wondering if I get Eternal and play that before finishing what I'm doing, will I even feel like going back at all, or are they different enough that I'd be ok doing that.

Eh, I'll probably just wait.

I would 100% 2016 before starting Eternal. They are very different (but awesome) games in terms of well, everything - and I found it weird going back to 2016 (but only because I loved Eternal and didn't cry about it like the vocal minority did).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I would 100% 2016 before starting Eternal. They are very different (but awesome) games in terms of well, everything - and I found it weird going back to 2016 (but only because I loved Eternal and didn't cry about it like the vocal minority did).

Good to know. Can't wait.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I been playing Eternal now for the first time and have been enjoying it but like 2016 better. They're fairly different games surprisingly. You won't really "replace" either, you will probably be in different moods and return to them later for different reasons. Cheers

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

david_a posted:

I had high hopes for Quake RTX since Romero released the map sources so in theory you could place the map lights in exactly the same place. In practice I’m sure there are a lot of reasons why it wouldn’t look the same as the original lighting, but it should be a ton closer than Quake 2 RTX which doesn’t even try.
Placing lights in the same places wouldn't really work since there are tons of floating fill lights in Quake maps which, if translated into proper raytraced lights, would cause bizarre shadows to be cast all over the place. It'd really need a proper art direction pass, probably involving modifying the map geometry to make sure there are actual in-map light sources everywhere there needs to be. It's kind of the double-edged sword of getting closer to the ideals of physically-based lighting: the closer to behaving "real" it gets, the more care and artistry needs to go into lighting even the most basic of scenes.

Volte fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 28, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Do rtx engines not also have ambient light in areas as an option?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Do rtx engines not also have ambient light in areas as an option?

They do but they are computationally expensive.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
So i finally tracked down and played Wolfenstein (2009) and it was surprised how much I enjoyed it! It's a bit short and the boss fights aren't great, but it was considerably better than i expected given its reputation. It makes some weird decisions (all voices in English, default FOV super cramped) but it was very easy to fix up with community patches. I don't know what kind of slapfight Zenimax and Activision got in to result in it being pulled from all the digital storefronts, but it's worthwhile playing if you get the opportunity. Physical copies are getting more expensive but it's not hard to find elsewhere, which i have no qualms about if i can't buy it. Also surprised to see it was running on idTech 4, it looks barely recognizable.

Speaking of idTech4, I also played Doom 3 Phobos recently and really enjoyed it. The production values are quite good (even the voice acting!) and the modified combat is substantially more fun and challenging than the base game. I don't know exactly how I feel about the the odd Life is Strange-style flashback narrative device, but it's definitely very ambitious and I respect them for doing something completely out of left field. There's one later level with a bit of platform hopping that i found dragged on excessively, but otherwise I had a great time with it and would heartily recommend. The first two episodes are available and the team is apparently presently working on the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Awesome.

Voodoo Cafe posted:

So i finally tracked down and played Wolfenstein (2009) and it was surprised how much I enjoyed it!

Hell yeah, Wolf '09 is pretty great, if a little of its time in some mechanics.