Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think it would, the anesthetics don't wear off. I imagine it would be much more unsettling to be high and never be able to stop, until one day very suddenly it stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Dave Angel posted:

What does everyone think is the best King story (novel/novellla/short story or otherwise) that hasn't been adapted for film/TV?

I'd like to see A Good Marriage, from Full Dark, No Stars. I've recommended that story to a few women I know, and they have, to a man, been blown away.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Teach posted:

I'd like to see A Good Marriage, from Full Dark, No Stars. I've recommended that story to a few women I know, and they have, to a man, been blown away.

FDNS has some stories brutal in a way King hasn't written since The Library Policeman in Four Past Midnight. If I was still in grad school I'd probably write a contrast/comparison, but im too lazy now so just to say in short, yeah, I can definitely see how that collection can appeal to women.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Dammit it's been filmed. Shows what I know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Good_Marriage_(film)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Every story in FDNS has that sinister feeling almost the entire time and all of them take a really dark turn. Certainly on the short list of best King books for me.

All 4 of them are great and I couldn't pick one over the other even if I wanted to.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Dave Angel posted:

What does everyone think is the best King story (novel/novellla/short story or otherwise) that hasn't been adapted for film/TV? Current thread discussion reminds me that a load of the early stuff saw successful films made, but there seems to have been a point somewhere after Dreamcatcher where a King novel doesn't ultimately result in a film version.

I'll be lazy and say The Jaunt, though that's definitely one for an episode on a horror anthology TV series.

Jaunt is definitely at the top of the list. I think it could work as a limited series anthology sort of thing - there's just so much stuff packed in there.

I'd like to see any of the side stories from the dark tower series get adapted - Little Sisters and Everything's Eventual. Same for One for the Road, and 10 o'clock people, although apparently the latter is already in development to be a movie. Beachworld sort of got adapted as an animated short but that's another one where the upside is just enormous if you get the right person at the helm.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm reading Fairy Tale right now, it's the first new King book I've read in probably 20 years. It has a lot of, for lack of a better term, product placement which really stands out. The main character talks about how Jersey Mike's is delicious, how great his Verizon Nighthawk cellular hotspot is, and a few others that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Has he always been like this and I just didn't notice it before? It's really jarring and feels like a commercial.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
It feels like he's always done this, but I'm not familiar with 1970s American brands so a lot of it goes over my head.

I haven't read much of what he's put out in the last ten years though.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I had a similar moment when he referenced Game of Thrones in Dr. Sleep (and of course Harry Potter in Wolves of the Calla). I read his older stuff when I was young and the things he referenced were largely already established pieces of Americana or general pop culture before I was born, so they didn't seem so jarring to me.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Medullah posted:

I'm reading Fairy Tale right now, it's the first new King book I've read in probably 20 years. It has a lot of, for lack of a better term, product placement which really stands out. The main character talks about how Jersey Mike's is delicious, how great his Verizon Nighthawk cellular hotspot is, and a few others that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Has he always been like this and I just didn't notice it before? It's really jarring and feels like a commercial.

I think in the past he would either use stuff that was so commonplace it didn't seem as apparent or make up his own variants of brands (i.e. Nozz-A-La root beer). Doesn't seem like his frequency of doing so has varied much, but we're all much more attuned to notice that sort of thing now.

Kind of like you don't really think about the branding of the sports stadium in your city until the name gets changed to "Crypto.com Arena" or some such nonsense.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
King's an old man so everything he writes has this pre80s period piece feel

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Tampa's 1-800-ASK-GARY amphitheater is my gold standard for dumb names

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
finished the library policeman and its weird. like you can see alot of his ideas for other books in it and i actually sorta like the concept of some vampire bug ant eater that hollows people out and uses their body to feed on kids and poo poo, like a less eldrich version of IT, but the story is kinda long winded and bloated, like alot digressions that arnt bad but go on for too long and you can see the liquorish ball coming a mile away, but like the digression about david being a decent dude to the dead kid and stuff is fine but it takes too long. also the graphic kid rape. its weird as gently caress.

also why is the monster such a weird anal pryg about library etiquette and poo poo, like i get its supposed to worm itself into society and poo poo but i feel like people would have picked up on it way faster then the sheriff did. idk

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
my flight got delayed so i said gently caress it and now i'm downloading The Langoliers miniseries so i can rewatch it on the plane, as well as the nostalgia critic review. this should be fun.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

oldpainless posted:

Let us not forget The Langoliers miniseries.

Terrifying.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also why is the monster such a weird anal pryg about library etiquette and poo poo, like i get its supposed to worm itself into society and poo poo but i feel like people would have picked up on it way faster then the sheriff did. idk

as you said, the why is it's a bunch of different ideas mashed together, and a pernickety librarian was one of them

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also why is the monster such a weird anal pryg about library etiquette and poo poo

Amongst King's many recurring obsessions (arc sodium lights, blue chambray work shirts, evil being ultimately underwhelming and self defeating, middle aged tall creatives banging young women, laundries) is evil imposters being compelled to take the function of their form. Take over a big cop? You gotta arrest people before you can kill them. Be a wolfman to scare kids? You're now vulnerable to silver. Bull mask to chase your wife? You're a minotaur motherfucker. So yeah.

Oh also "Hang On Sloopy" is, like, the heaviest rock song ever in Kingland.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crespolini posted:

as you said, the why is it's a bunch of different ideas mashed together, and a pernickety librarian was one of them

I mean I like the weird mundanity of it. Like I like that the monster needs to hate its victims to scare and feed/kill them. Also most of the monsters scary stories and posters arn’t really that scary, just gross as gently caress. Like sure kids are kids, but kids love hosed up gross poo poo. So idk.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Skulker posted:

Amongst King's many recurring obsessions (arc sodium lights, blue chambray work shirts, evil being ultimately underwhelming and self defeating, middle aged tall creatives banging young women, laundries) is evil imposters being compelled to take the function of their form. Take over a big cop? You gotta arrest people before you can kill them. Be a wolfman to scare kids? You're now vulnerable to silver. Bull mask to chase your wife? You're a minotaur motherfucker. So yeah.

I mean that goes into why I love the whole last act of the shining and how king takes the piss out of the hotel. Like it’s a gestalt consciousness of hedonistic rich people who already tried the same trick once(one of the Grady kids shined too) and I like how everyone sees through their jack possession but the hotel still thinks they won’t to the point where it goes “nuh uh” to a 5 year old and then doesn’t even scare him and promptly gets owned. Honestly after the last couple years, it tracks.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 28, 2022

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Skulker posted:

Baby, can you dig your man?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hey, Hang On Sloopy was by Rick Derringer, it's got that Rock And Roll Hoochie Coo cred.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Skulker posted:

Amongst King's many recurring obsessions (arc sodium lights, blue chambray work shirts, evil being ultimately underwhelming and self defeating, middle aged tall creatives banging young women, laundries)

no engineer boots or fingernail crescents, fake fan

Anyway back when I read the Langoliers in the early 90s they looked like the bombs from Final Fantasy II/IV in my head

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Just finished re-reading 'Salem's Lot - the first time I've read it in twenty years? I enjoyed it greatly for the usual reasons (retelling Dracula myth, the Lot as a character, small-town life). But this bit stood out and made me laugh, from near the end.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This is cool.

https://twitter.com/psychotronica_/status/1553875347665555457?t=on7B-Urae93e27fM0VdeZA&s=19

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Skulker posted:

I was reading Dean Koontz's Phantoms (saw the movie a long time ago) and it was funny because the town of Snowfield has sodium lamps that cast a yellow glow.

I always thought it was coincidental that in the fiction section Koontz comes right next to King.

Anyways his cover picture has a dog but there are no magic dogs as yet. And no sign of Ben Affleck either.

You'd think if B&N didn't sort by genre Barbara Kinsgsolver would at least be between them, but genres. She probably writes good books though. I wouldn't know I don't read good books.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I got suckered into reading 3 or 4 Koontz books because the first one I read of his was Intensity, which I picked up somewhere, and I thought it was quite good. Not the best writing but I really enjoyed it and found it to be a real page turner.

Joke was on me when I decided to delve into a few of his other books and, whoo boy, I don't get his popularity. At all. There are a few authors in this vein that I feel the same way about (Kellerman and Patricia Cornwell immediately come to mind) where I just don't get it.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Koontz being next to King on the shelf boosts his sales a little bit because people are browsing the horror section. Back when folks went to record stores, I found out about John Prine because I'm a huge Prince face and Prine's stuff was always right there next to the Prince albums.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Teach posted:

Just finished re-reading 'Salem's Lot - the first time I've read it in twenty years? I enjoyed it greatly for the usual reasons (retelling Dracula myth, the Lot as a character, small-town life). But this bit stood out and made me laugh, from near the end.

That made me laugh too.

I enjoyed Salem's Lot because the vampires are really traditional; no reflection, hate crosses, sunlight kills them, grow fangs when they turn, leave fang marks in necks,need to be invited into buildings, etc. Maybe it's the past 20 years of vampire fiction trying to make it "realistic" but OG vampires was actually quite a refreshing listen.

I didn't like how a couple of times they began referencing that they were literally playing out the events of Dracula. Ben and somebody talk about how Matt reminds them of Van Helsing at one point and I thought it was too on the nose. Plus, and I know this was intentional, Barlow ended up being quite underwhelming. Him turning randos like the dumpster guy and the affair guy midway through the story left me a bit disappointed. I expected some kind of final villain reveal. I was much more creeped out by his letter to the Scooby gang when they invade the Marsten house, it was chilling.

Overall, it was still a fantastic read/listen. It's a very basic story but King is so good at making me care about minor characters (RIP Weasel) and the world in which they live, I was genuinely sad during the last couple of chapters where he described what Salem's Lot had become. All the minor characters getting devoured by vampires after the heroes had killed Barlow and fled was really sad.

I'm a big fan of the Evolution of Horror podcast and they've recently done a series on Vampire films. I have the Salem's Lot episode ready to go but I'm gonna try and wait and watch the film before giving it a listen. They'll be talking about the film rather than the book. I haven't seen the film and I know there's a bunch of differences in the adaptation. I'd recommend the Evolution of Horror podcast to anybody though, it's fantastic.

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
I hadn’t read any Steven King in over a decade and nothing chronologically published after Cell, and on a whim, I picked up 11-22-63. I’m really enjoying it so far! It’s been fun rediscovering how well his books can suck you in. I’m about half way through, over the course of a couple nights of reading.

The plot is completely different than I thought it was going to be. I was expecting something way more conspiratorial, especially given the premise. I feel like a major theme of early King is a strong distrust of the federal government and shadowy organizations, so I figured the JFK assassination would be ripe for that sort of thing. But so far, it’s a story about evil men in a small town and a high school teacher falling in love with a coworker, but with a supernatural twist. Classic King.

Also, and I know it’s a weird aside, but I feel like “simultaneous orgasms” is a thing that has come up in multiple King sex scenes. Like, I get it’s purpose, but ‘these people love each other so much they bust at the same time’ is very funny to me.

Broadlybrowsing fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 6, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I REALLY liked 11/22/63. Like, one of my favorite books period in the last 20 years. Not sure why it appealed to me that much, but it did. Heck, I even liked the mini series!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

King is really good at that whole slice of life thing in the 50's and 60's. It's part of why IT, Revival, The Body, and 11-22-63 are all so good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
King's patented Weird Sex Things in his writing are a classic facet of his. It's up there with like "character uses a Maine accent and it's written phonetically."

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Khizan posted:

King is really good at that whole slice of life thing in the 50's and 60's. It's part of why IT, Revival, The Body, and 11-22-63 are all so good.

I also really enjoyed Joyland for the same reason. I don’t recall hearing anything about that book and that’s a shame.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I enjoyed 11-22-63 a great deal but recall skimming over a good portion of it around the halfway mark.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I enjoyed 11-22-63 a great deal but recall skimming over a good portion of it around the halfway mark.

I know they don't edit him anymore, if they ever really did, but drat that book was begging for it. probably could have cut about 100 pages throughout.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

LochNessMonster posted:

I also really enjoyed Joyland for the same reason. I don’t recall hearing anything about that book and that’s a shame.

It was a quick jaunt but pretty good for a haunted amusement park.

Something's gotta get haunted.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Zwabu posted:

the extended description of the cemetery worker at Danny Glick’s gravesite, burying him but simultaneously imagining being stared at from inside the coffin.

From what I've heard the salem's lot movie was not good, but i saw this scene on tv when i was like 6 years old and it scared me so bad that i found a hiding spot and stayed there with my face pressed into the carpet for over an hour until my mom found me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The OG Pet Sematary is pretty good, seriously classic Fred Gwynne role and they bring in the mom's flashbacks to her sister, an extremely Stephen King subplot.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
One thing that creeped me out and made me wonder, was when Gage said Norma cheated on Jud with all his friends and they laughed at him. Was it true? It is such a contradiction to the way King presented her up to that point that it is very jarring and sad.

I think that only happens in book, not movie (haven’t seen remake).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

nate fisher posted:

One thing that creeped me out and made me wonder, was when Gage said Norma cheated on Jud with all his friends and they laughed at him. Was it true? It is such a contradiction to the way King presented her up to that point that it is very jarring and sad.

The demon only says things that are hurtful but actually happened, so my take has always been that yeah it was true. I think it's even hinted at in Jud's recollection of what happened with the WW2 soldier that got brought back wrong - the day he pulls up to his house and sees all his friends waiting there for him he remarks that Norma's behavior is a little off even though she couldn't possibly know what was going on.

Poor Jud went out knowing his life was a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

nate fisher posted:

Like a lot of recent movies and I don't take offense to it they do a little gender switcharoo

It's not very engaging the way the original was. I really liked the old Mainer with the silly accent and bad ideas. In the book as well as the movie. He was such a weird one because he knew all the horror stories of the guy who buried the bull in there and everything like that but still helped put Gage in there.

I don't recall the spoiler you mentioned but honesty I kind of quit 3/4 through the book. I have a problem finishing things that I've already seen. But not The Shining, which I'm re-reading. That one is a whole different beast than the movie. I still read Jack as Nicholson but I can see Wendy without seeing the horribly abused Shelley Duvall. And Danny without the dumb haircut.