Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Not So Fast posted:

It just really underlines how much of a rushed, fast pace Season 1 has. Some of the best bits of the early books are little moments like this.

I think that's simply a consequence of starting in Emonds Field and knowing you need to get to the Eye of the World at the end of S1.

Comparing WoT to the glacial pace that season 1 of the Rings of Power had makes me appreciate the "rush" a bit more and grant them some slack :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's a consequence of a poo poo show runner. That character relationship building time was instead spent on Lan and stephan. Also I know the "but covid" crowd will come in to defend him, but lmao the eotw we got. The whole season would have been that bad if he didn't have the estate and Twitter resource to screen him.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well next season won’t have the Covid excuse so we’ll see how it fares. Like on its own it’s a very generic fantasy show and that’s the biggest sin for one of the best fantasy series out there. It even lacks a sense of style, there’s nothing about it that actually stands out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's a pretty weird and harsh way to describe Rafe, in my opinion.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The weapons training scene was shot. The Gitara Moroso foretelling was shot.

More people have input into the final edit than just the showrunner. He's spoken before of having to fight for certain things to be included like the Manetheren song.

He ain't gonna win every one of those battles :shrug:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

silvergoose posted:

That's a pretty weird and harsh way to describe Rafe, in my opinion.

an unfortunate symptom of terminal grey forum brain is writing fan fiction about the various relationships among management of IP you’re obsessed with

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's a consequence of a poo poo show runner. That character relationship building time was instead spent on Lan and stephan. Also I know the "but covid" crowd will come in to defend him, but lmao the eotw we got. The whole season would have been that bad if he didn't have the estate and Twitter resource to screen him.

I love how absolutely fragile some people's perception of time is and how often complaining about "time wasted on stephan" makes it very clear.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A new character whole cloth was not needed to demonstrate the power of the warder bond. Sure glad the horn got the buildup it deserved.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol it was such a waste of time for a show with this many important characters

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A new character whole cloth was not needed to demonstrate the power of the warder bond. Sure glad the horn got the buildup it deserved.

The horn isn't important in season 1. There are important characters in season 1 who the bond effects.

Your media literacy must be this high to ride.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The horn isn't important in season 1. There are important characters in season 1 who the bond effects.

I forgot what the second book was about too

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I forgot what the second book was about too

This doesn't shock me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I can't wait for Urik in season 2 to blow the horn, to then be killed, so we know that that's an important bond too.

coathat
May 21, 2007

CainFortea posted:

But it didn’t show the effects of the bond it just showed that you can be severely depressed when the most important person in your life gets killed.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

coathat posted:

But it didn’t show the effects of the bond it just showed that you can be severely depressed when the most important person in your life gets killed.

Psychic connections do not exist in real life. Real people do not suddenly stare off into the distance and go berserk when the most important person in their life dies while unobserved by them. Also most people would assume that your romantic parters would be the most important person in your life

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Like whatever, waste an episode with the best actors on the show but to then still ignore the THREE main protagonists because you want to string people along. If you have to use that crutch, you need better writers/actors.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Like whatever, waste an episode with the best actors on the show but to then still ignore the THREE main protagonists because you want to string people along. If you have to use that crutch, you need better writers/actors.

CainFortea posted:

I love how absolutely fragile some people's perception of time is and how often complaining about "time wasted on stephan" makes it very clear.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I might rewatch the series and enjoy it just to spite yall

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The sad warder episode is something I liked at the time but in retrospect does feel like time spent poorly.

Ultimately your two best actors are Lan and Moraine and so the show focuses on them a bunch as a result.

But all this time should really be with Rand during Eye since so much of the series is set to rely on him.

What we get as a result is a really underwhelming revelation about Rand being the Dragon because we've just not developed enough of an idea of who he is and why this might be bad.

Like the show isn't even clear about what the loving taint on saidin even is for example.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I might rewatch the series and enjoy it just to spite yall

I mean feel free. I did without the "Holy poo poo it's loving Wheel of Time oh my god" hype and it's just not great absent that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

At least the show has rand already in acceptance he's tdr, so no need to worry about that development in s2.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The show feels almost weirdly self-conscious about the source material, if that makes any sense.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I predict it will just turn into the forsaken show since those actors will be way more entertaining than the three main ones.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thankfully we won't need a scene of the Forsaken studying the bond either. That's covered thanks to media literacy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Which didn't need to happen.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I predict it will just turn into the forsaken show since those actors will be way more entertaining than the three main ones.

I'm looking forward to the Forsaken show :sun:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Ultimately your two best actors are Lan and Moraine and so the show focuses on them a bunch as a result.

But all this time should really be with Rand during Eye since so much of the series is set to rely on him.

What we get as a result is a really underwhelming revelation about Rand

Top men (nerds) spent way too much time analyzing this already. Rand had more in scene, onscreen time than Moiraine, although Moiraine has a higher word/dialogue count.

People who had a problem with the Moiraine and Lan show in S1 are really gonna blow a gasket in S2 since it will be mostly made up poo poo for them :laugh:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah and I'll pretty happily maintain that's not enough time with Rand, or failing that, that the time we've spent with him isn't sufficient for what they've tried to pull.

Further I would pretty strongly guess that a lot of that Rand time comes from the final pair of episodes where my case is generally focused on the lower presence in the first six.

If I had whole cloth to just rewrite things I would probably have split Moraine and Lan up, so Moraine ends up somewhere with Perrin and Egwene and Lan stays with Nynaeve so that a greater portion of the young cast has a really strong actor to work with through the travel scenes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Colonel Cool posted:

The show feels almost weirdly self-conscious about the source material, if that makes any sense.

I get exactly what you mean.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Colonel Cool posted:

It does.

So do the goons that always come out to cape for these mid-to-bad adaptations by uncaring, cynical corpos, especially when they go full, "the books were always bad actually."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cloche posted:

It does.

So do the goons that always come out to cape for these mid-to-bad adaptations by uncaring, cynical corpos, especially when they go full, "the books were always bad actually."

Going full throat hands on ears about how the books are actually perfect is grounds for a spaking!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Cloche posted:

It does.

It’s ok to recognize the flaws in things you love, I love the books but if the show tried to show the aiel spankolgical protocol I would have to hide the books in my attic permanently so people wouldn’t think I’m a freak. There were also pages and pages and pages of debate in this very thread about the gender issues in the books, which the show seems to have navigated ok so far.

It’s weird trying to dress up standard fan complaining that’s been going on since Tom bombadil was left out of the fellowship of the ring as like virtuous anti-corporatism especially when basically every popular IP has been acquired by some kind of giant corporation

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

By navigate you mean ignore it. The books were oddly progressive for the time and the show definitely doesn’t have good enough writers to tackle it. But they just kind of chip away at the things that make the books unique cause it’s hard and costs a lot of money to put to TV. So you just end up with generic fantasy show #2360. Like there’s no way in hell they’re gonna be able to do Dumai’s Wells any justice.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

By navigate you mean ignore it. The books were oddly progressive for the time

The books do this theatre of men and women don't understand each other but the reader understands perfectly. Its like Laurel and Hardy, you understand the perspective problem and that's what makes it funny. Its the same as Rand, Mat and Perrin thinking oh the other 2 understand women and I'm just this ham fisted oaf.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

By navigate you mean ignore it. The books were oddly progressive for the time and the show definitely doesn’t have good enough writers to tackle it. But they just kind of chip away at the things that make the books unique cause it’s hard and costs a lot of money to put to TV. So you just end up with generic fantasy show #2360. Like there’s no way in hell they’re gonna be able to do Dumai’s Wells any justice.

It does feel like Xena or Hercules for the 2020s

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So the only way forward for the show is to regress?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Goofballs posted:

The books do this theatre of men and women don't understand each other but the reader understands perfectly. Its like Laurel and Hardy, you understand the perspective problem and that's what makes it funny. Its the same as Rand, Mat and Perrin thinking oh the other 2 understand women and I'm just this ham fisted oaf.

It's tedious and never actually funny because it's always the same joke regardless of character.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

OPAONI posted:

It's tedious and never actually funny because it's always the same joke regardless of character.

Slightly ramped up for Nynaeve

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mmm yes indeed the dude who has constantly and loudly professed his love and understanding of the Wheel of Time books and is currently involved in making a TV adaptation of it clearly secretly hates it and wants to destroy it.

Good Lord Light burn me, some of you folks sound like the weird shut-ins who think that crypto-woke operators are working to destroy Disney from within by forcing non-white and female characters into Star Wars.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mad Hamish posted:

Mmm yes indeed the dude who has constantly and loudly professed his love and understanding of the Wheel of Time books and is currently involved in making a TV adaptation of it clearly secretly hates it and wants to destroy it.

Good Lord Light burn me, some of you folks sound like the weird shut-ins who think that crypto-woke operators are working to destroy Disney from within by forcing non-white and female characters into Star Wars.

who do goons love to create imaginary persons to get angry at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hexel posted:

I'm looking forward to the Forsaken show :sun:

Lol this is awesome. Instantly know who everyone here is.