Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The second-highest line is noted transportation safety leader Russia. The US did narrowly edge out Georgia in deaths per inhabitants, though!

Not as bad as Switzerland! their baseline is 10x lower

Maybe the safest place to be really is in a car, although I wonder how much of this is because who even has passengers in their car anymore?

(from OECD via NYT remembering that cars are bad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
make cars the deathtraps again
ralph nader has pedestrian blood on his hands

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

show this chart to the average american and they will take it as vindication for buying the most bloated SUV or truck they could afford

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1596959259266191360

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That bollard video rules.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i wonder how fast you would need to hit it at to knock it over

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
p. sure you would pulverize the car before you knocked it over.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

depends on the diameter and how embedded it is and the surface conditions. in an unpaved or thin asphalt you could end up lateral soil failure from a bending moment (l-pile analysis). if the surface is rigid concrete in very dense sand with an 18-in bollard deep embedment encased in a large concrete footing, it would probably not get knocked over by anything other than a bulking giant truck.

the kinetic calculation isn't hard but you'd have to assume some diameter, surface condition, and generalized soil modulus and shear strength

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

actionjackson posted:

Really loving fast

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The best way to make other drivers rage out ime

100% it’s like a real life “one weird trick to not getting pulled over, other drivers hate this.”

now that I think about it walking, biking and public transit are similar weird tricks.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

CopperHound posted:

To be fair, I squeeze between the carts holding my basket saying "I'm a Bike! I'm a bike! gently caress you, I'm a bike!"

Good for you you're doing it right

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

my car is part of my identity, it's how I express myself

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drat what happened in Lithuania in 2008 and can we make it happen here?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gripweed posted:

drat what happened in Lithuania in 2008 and can we make it happen here?

global financial crisis I would assume

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

CongoJack posted:

100% it’s like a real life “one weird trick to not getting pulled over, other drivers hate this.”

now that I think about it walking, biking and public transit are similar weird tricks.

We went to a state park and back on Saturday. In around three hours of driving, we saw three crashes and two near-misses, and a guy who was all over the road like he was drunk or reading a book or some poo poo.

My wife stays in the right lane and drives at the speed limit. One guy in a Dodge (it's always a Dodge) raged the gently caress out over that and used a right turning lane to pass us. Speed limit was 55mph and there was a left lane he could have used.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We went to a state park and back on Saturday. In around three hours of driving, we saw three crashes and two near-misses, and a guy who was all over the road like he was drunk or reading a book or some poo poo.

My wife stays in the right lane and drives at the speed limit. One guy in a Dodge (it's always a Dodge) raged the gently caress out over that and used a right turning lane to pass us. Speed limit was 55mph and there was a left lane he could have used.

Driving politely and cautiously owns. It makes idiots so mad. Even better if you take time to wave pedestrians across the street and such.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Lol that bollard video is great, especially because they had to total like seven Dodge Chargers or whatever.

bike tory posted:

Are these cars all actually exactly the same size? I know the same chassis is used for a LOT of cars but I didn't think that many competing manufacturers. I think the photos might be resized so the wheelbases are all the same.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1596961322633433088?s=20&t=f7QiJZJq1Z8jnT8BZStmOw

Apr 7, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Lol that bollard video is great, especially because they had to total like seven Dodge Chargers or whatever.

Are these cars all actually exactly the same size? I know the same chassis is used for a LOT of cars but I didn't think that many competing manufacturers. I think the photos might be resized so the wheelbases are all the same.

In a world where manufacturers are trying to eke out any gas mileage gains they can, everything's going to gravitate to the same aerodynamic shape eventually

(Except pickup trucks, which are built to be as obnoxious and wasteful as possible)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Lib and let die posted:

Driving politely and cautiously owns. It makes idiots so mad. Even better if you take time to wave pedestrians across the street and such.
It's nice when you stop for a pedestrian and they seem so pleasantly surprised :unsmith:. Although it's even better to not drive in the first place so its a moot point.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lithuania lost like 20% of its population to emigration in the 2000s

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Aren't there external limits to how wide and long cars can be? Like, width of lanes, standard size of parking spaces and in sane countries even regulation? It stands to reason that American cars would naturally converge on this maximum possible size, which would then push the entire system towards even bigger sizes.

Apr 7, 2003

BonHair posted:

Aren't there external limits to how wide and long cars can be? Like, width of lanes, standard size of parking spaces and in sane countries even regulation? It stands to reason that American cars would naturally converge on this maximum possible size, which would then push the entire system towards even bigger sizes.

There was a big thread in my local subreddit about how the parking spot sizes at the garages downtown are too small and need to be expanded.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
The real pro move to piss off cagers when you're forced to drive is to come to a complete stop at stop signs and look in both directions to make sure it's safe to proceed before taking off again.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SimonSays posted:

The real pro move to piss off cagers when you're forced to drive is to come to a complete stop at stop signs and look in both directions to make sure it's safe to proceed before taking off again.

on a bike you will piss people off equal amounts by doing this or not doing this

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

on a bike you will piss people off equal amounts by doing this or not doing this

Often the same people too I'd wager.

I live right next to a completely car centric (and very un-Danish imo) shopping horseshoe thing. Just a big parking lot with half a ring of big box type shops. I sometimes have to go there and get a big thing, and it's kinda incredible how hard it is to actually get in with a cargo bike. Like, it's actively hostile to people who are not driving. The overview doesn't show how bad it is, but all the internal roads are too narrow for a bike to fit beside the cars. And you better believe I'm taking up a parking space with my bike.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

BonHair posted:

We're definitely already at this point. People can't park their trucks in their garages anymore. SUV drivers will wave me through turns in parking lots because they can't maneuver without taking up both lanes. Truck beds stick out of parking spots and into the lane in the old part of my city.

Home garages are probably going to grow because that's a relatively easy change, but there's a point where developers and cities aren't going to want to accommodate because there's a real spatial and financial burden to bigger parking. State DOT is probably salivating over bigger lanes though.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

SUV drivers will wave me through turns

Bullshit.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thinking about this article again

quote:

When Kristen Trevino moved to her new home in the Dallas area recently, she ran into a problem.

Her 2016 Ford F-150 did not fit in the garage. Undeterred, she bought the 2019 model. That one also didn't fit.

“It’s too tall. It’s too long,” she said. Now she keeps it parked in the driveway.

Her next-door neighbor has an F-150, as well, and has just enough room in his garage.

“He can squeeze his in,” she said, but added that it “hits his front wall and just barely clears the door.”

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

lobster shirt posted:

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We're definitely already at this point. People can't park their trucks in their garages anymore. SUV drivers will wave me through turns in parking lots because they can't maneuver without taking up both lanes. Truck beds stick out of parking spots and into the lane in the old part of my city.

There's one parking garage I like to use downtown in the rare occasion I have to drive there, because it was built in the 1950s and new trucks don't fit. Always an open spot there.

quote:

Home garages are probably going to grow because that's a relatively easy change, but there's a point where developers and cities aren't going to want to accommodate because there's a real spatial and financial burden to bigger parking. State DOT is probably salivating over bigger lanes though.

I have seen this already with new construction in the western suburbs here. The garage doors are the extra-height maintenance bay doors.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lmao, my garage fits my cargo bike, baby stroller, various garden tools and furniture and a bunch of other crap. And it's not even effectively organised. Or it could fit a small car (European sizes).

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

So she bought another F-150 without checking the dimensions, just assuming it would work? Wow she must really need that truck for her costco runs.

BonHair posted:

Lmao, my garage fits my cargo bike, baby stroller, various garden tools and furniture and a bunch of other crap. And it's not even effectively organised. Or it could fit a small car (European sizes).
My garage is basically my gym + storage. Car goes outside because who gives a gently caress, they are designed to be rained on.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We're definitely already at this point. People can't park their trucks in their garages anymore.

We're well past that point even. I was visiting my sister and remarked how many assholes were parking their trucks/SUVs in their driveways overlapping the sidewalk because they probably didn't fit in their garage, and they were lucky nobody used a wheelchair on their street... nope, one of her nice neighbors uses an electric wheelchair and is forced to use the street. There's also a bunch of new families on the street and all the kids just have to be in the street to ride their scooters and trikes, hoping the obviously too large cars see them when they're even lower than they are standing :psyduck:

The "bike boulevard" around here takes me through a section that's a bit narrow, so everyone just hops the rolled curb and parks on the sidewalk

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bike tory posted:

Harder for cops to identify you, praxis. Sorry

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

So she bought another F-150 without checking the dimensions, just assuming it would work? Wow she must really need that truck for her costco runs.

My garage is basically my gym + storage. Car goes outside because who gives a gently caress, they are designed to be rained on.

I could understand not checking the size the first time but if you buy a car specifically to fit in your new garage and you don't check the dimensions you should probably be assigned a state guardian to make decisions for you

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

if you buy a car [...] you should probably be assigned a state guardian to make decisions for you

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

bike tory posted:

this is every car on the road thats not a prius or a tesla and theyre all ugly as sin and gigantic. plus theyre 6000lbs or w/e transporting 130 pounds of human

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

take another look at the video bruv....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Smythe posted:

this is every car on the road thats not a prius or a tesla and theyre all ugly as sin and gigantic. plus theyre 6000lbs or w/e transporting 130 pounds of human
We are talking about America here, so they are usually transporting quite a bit more than 130 lbs of human.