Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Probably, set it up and listen to it. Do it in a easy way, not like running cables inside the walls and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ok I’m sure I already know the answer to this question but I gotta ask.

Turns out my dad had his old houses 5.1 surround setup stored in his basement and I can have it. It’s from around 2010 and is all Polk stuff, some entry level 6 piece set plus a receiver of which I do not know the brand yet. It’s decent I guess I think it cost him like $750 bucks total at the time or something. I’ll know more in a couple days when I get my hands on it.

So I’m gonna take that and use it. My question is, that’s still better than a top end sound bar right?

Eh, could be. The receiver is probably fine as a 5.1 if you feed it from the TV, but you won’t be able to rout 4K through it, and I can’t think of literally any Polks made between like 1980 and 2019, or whenever their “Reserve” line came out, worth writing home about

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It'll be better than a sound bar for most applications unless the sound bar is extremely good, but once you are looking at extremely good sound bars you're well into "just buy separates" territory

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

H110Hawk posted:

Probably, set it up and listen to it. Do it in a easy way, not like running cables inside the walls and stuff.

Lmao don’t worry I wouldn’t be running cables through walls for a $5k setup.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lmao don’t worry I wouldn’t be running cables through walls for a $5k setup.

I never know, audio people are weirdos. :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I guess the better question for me to have asked isn’t whether it’s superior to a year 2022 $2k sound bar setup. The proper question is will it sound better than the built in speakers on a Sony X95K?

And assuming so how do I manage 4k content while using it because yeah that’ll be an issue with my PS5 especially since I want the 4k 120hz.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I guess the better question for me to have asked isn’t whether it’s superior to a year 2022 $2k sound bar setup. The proper question is will it sound better than the built in speakers on a Sony X95K?

And assuming so how do I manage 4k content while using it because yeah that’ll be an issue with my PS5 especially since I want the 4k 120hz.

maybe?….probably?

plug your input devices like your PS5 into your TV and run a TOSLINK cable from your TV to the receiver. Or an HDMI from your ARC-enabled port (assuming your TV has one, if it does you might have to turn on the function in the menu) to the receiver.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

$2k sound bar setup
but why would you do this

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

but why would you do this

Don’t shoot the messenger. :ohdear:

Anyway I got sent pictures of what I got.

So a harmon/kardon AVR 1700 receiver:

And a 5.1 Polk speaker/sub set.

The front two rm201s are:

Rear two rm101s are:

Center rm202 is:

Sub is a tiny PSW10 with 50watts which seems like a joke but whatever.

Anyway, seems kind of decent? Entry level sure but better than what I expected. And this is for a living room that’s a rectangle at 10.5’ by 14’ with an 8’ ceiling.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
It's not going to be in the same ballpark as a 2k setup, but free is great and it will be a step up from TV speakers or a soundbar. Use it and see if it meets your current needs and expectations while you consider upgrades further. Maybe go listen to some nicer setups to get a better idea of what upgrades actually provide.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Agreed, set that up and use that as a baseline. This will sound infinitely better than the TV built-ins.

If you're really serious about getting a soundbar, get one on trial and set it up in parallel to this system and compare them. Most likely the old 5.1 set will come out in front, I think, even though those speakers look like on the small side and a bit "home theater in a box"-like.

You could also try setting this up and trying to just swap out the L+R speakers for something beefier.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That’s the big point, free is awesome!

Going forward though assuming I want to slowly replace parts I feel the first thing to get would be a better receiver because eventually I want an atmos setup and I’m a big fan of the tower speaker that have it built in. Though I suppose I could always just connect the towers as two channel and leave the atmos channels not connected. Which upon thinking would probably be the better first upgrade because I think this receiver could handle replacing the fronts with two good towers. Probably not much more though.

But that receiver being limited to 5.1 is a huge bottleneck.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 28, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nah. You’d be surprised at how quickly your returns diminish once you get past a basic surround setup.

I’m not going to say that ATMOS/etc is a scam or anything like that, but the percentage of homes with anything beyond a (poorly set up) 5.1 is minimal, and media producers invest accordingly when it comes to getting soundtracks mixed/etc

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have this stereo setup:

Argon SA1 amp
Debut Carbon EVO record player
KEF LS50 Meta speakers

There is a chromecast audio plugged in and when not listening to records we stream music using the chromecast; typically via the tidal android app or a local daapd server.

I have a few issues with this setup, the primary being the sound quality of the amp. It produces a decent bit of hiss and just sounds meh. Another nitpick is not necessarily the amp's fault but the remote control (obviously) cannot control the chromecast so there is no way to pause or skip a track without using a phone. And there is of course no CD player >:(.

My idea to solve all of this is to find a small all-in-one streaming amp that includes a CD player. Surprisingly, these things exist.

The best thing I have found so far is the Technics SA-C600. It has a CD player, phono input, built in chromecast, and seems to include a ton of streaming options. It also has a DAB radio, maybe that is cool?

There is also an Audiolab Omnia which has a CD player, phono input, and streaming options as well. But it is larger and about €500 more than the Technics. And yeah it has a fancy display but IMHO it is a more ugly box overall.

The Technics is a class D amp versus AB for the Audiolab so the Technics should be more efficient. But it is also less powerful. The Technics bluetooth is not aptX but I've never use the bluetooth of the current amp so I don't expect to ever need it.

I also have no idea about the chromecast situation. The manual for the Technics does *not* indicate that you can use the remote control to play/pause/skip tracks when chromecasting. That is disappointing if true. The audiolab doesn't even have chromecast support so I'd have to continue to use the dongle which is kind of annoying.

The audiolab does have a feature called 'Tidal Connect' which afaict means it will appear as an available speaker in the android Tidal app, just like the chromecast does. So that is a plus. Actually this is not true. It must have been some other device that had this feature, oh well.

Both systems claim to support a ton of internet services but they all seem to do it through their own apps which IMO really loving sucks. I don't want to have to use the "DTS Play-Fi" app to do everything. I just want to use the native app for whatever service I am using. That to me is the appeal of the chromecast feature since so many android apps support it. It makes it simple for my wife and kid to listen to whatever they want from their own devices without adding extra steps.

Sorry I am ranting now but does anyone have any opinions on these things?

other people fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 28, 2022

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Nah. You’d be surprised at how quickly your returns diminish once you get past a basic surround setup.

I’m not going to say that ATMOS/etc is a scam or anything like that, but the percentage of homes with anything beyond a (poorly set up) 5.1 is minimal, and media producers invest accordingly when it comes to getting soundtracks mixed/etc

Fair enough. I’d like my speakers to be a bit more powerful at least though. And the sub is a paperweight at just 50 watts, that I gotta replace first.

Can the receiver I have, seen here, handle a couple more beefy tower speakers up front? I think 95 watts per channel is fine if it’s just a 5.1.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That’s the big point, free is awesome!

Free is awesome if it's an upgrade. Laughing at the concept of 5.1 being a bottleneck when it's a step up from TV speakers. Honestly I would imagine the bottleneck being if the TV can't provide a compatible signal without downmixing to stereo or wanting to do 4k through the receiver instead of ARC.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Free is awesome if it's an upgrade. Laughing at the concept of 5.1 being a bottleneck when it's a step up from TV speakers. Honestly I would imagine the bottleneck being if the TV can't provide a compatible signal without downmixing to stereo or wanting to do 4k through the receiver instead of ARC.

Well the TV is brand new and ideally I’d use the earc port to connect things but the receiver doesn’t have one so what should I do instead? Or does that then make the receiver a bottleneck?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The PSW10 sub isn't terrible for what it is. I started out my setup with one, but it doesn't handle deep bass sub 40hz worth a poo poo which sucks for watching some films. I recall watching Pacific Rim with that sub and it was terrible. I only paid 99 bucks for it though, so expectations weren't high. I replaced it with a Polk PSW505 I got one black friday for 149 bucks and have been fine with my system since then.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Fair enough. I’d like my speakers to be a bit more powerful at least though. And the sub is a paperweight at just 50 watts, that I gotta replace first.

Can the receiver I have, seen here, handle a couple more beefy tower speakers up front? I think 95 watts per channel is fine if it’s just a 5.1.

Yes, you could absolutely drive some better fronts with that. But as has been pointed out to you already - hook this stuff up and make sure it works for you. I also get excited thinking about upgrading my stuff, but make sure you know what you have before you start going too far with any plans.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

other people posted:

Sorry I am ranting now but does anyone have any opinions on these things?
Trying to get an actual single box isn't practical, IMO. You could get a Denon or Marantz with HEOS and a matching used CD player and get single remote control, but that doesn't ahve Tidal Connect. There's also NAD with Bluesound which is a good streaming platform [bettter than HEOS and supports Tidal Connect] and has matching CD players that use the same remote codes. Costs a lot more, though.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

These are the kinds of systems that snobs like me would talk poo poo about before soundbars took over that space and we poo poo talk those. They may look like a normal receiver and speakers but they are only designed to work well with the stuff that came in the box. I wouldn't put any more money into incremental upgrades and look to saving for a new system. I doubt the receiver could drive normal speakers very well and I also doubt it has the full set of bass management and crossover options you'd need to use it with speakers or a sub that weren't bundled. Basically hook it up and unless you absolutely hate the sound use it as is until you want something else.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That receiver wasn’t actually purchased bundled with those speakers. It replaced the one that was after it died. Afaik it has nothing to do with them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That receiver wasn’t actually purchased bundled with those speakers. It replaced the one that was after it died. Afaik it has nothing to do with them.

In that case you could at least benefit from a better sub. I wouldn't swap any speakers out until you can do the front 3 [or just run the thing in 2.1 like us cool kids].

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

it’ll drive any contemporary “normal” HT speakers to at least a normal listening volume.

In your shoes I’d probably replace the sub first (SVS sub IMO, or if cheaper—the PSW505 is a decent budget choice). Maybe even consider getting two if you want/can budget for it and save one for when you do your receiver upgrade (or at least maybe plan to get a matching second down the road).

Then do your speakers. Do your fronts/center first and then match the surrounds (or just get ‘em all at once, do whatever, I’m simply talking if budget is a limiting factor). If you think you want additional surrounds or height channels or Zone 2 or whatever now is a good time to think about it. It may be that you should buy them now or it might be that you can wait for a bit and buy them later. Probably worth checking to make sure that your speaker line won’t get discontinued before then.

Finally, after you’ve replaced your sub and gotten new speakers, then replace your receiver. Add any additional speakers you want but probably don’t go overboard and consider adding them two at a time. The returns on 13.4 vs 11.2 (which are really meant for dedicated home theater spaces) or whatever are way lower than on 11.2 vs 9.2, which are lower than 9.2 vs 7.2, which are lower than 7.2 vs 7.1 (really, balancing out your bass with a second sub>>super high channel count any day), etc. And I haven’t even touched on whether you have them in a traditional surround setup vs ATMOS (5.2.2, 7.2.4, etc…)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Can anyone recommend a good entry-level centre channel speaker for around, idk, £100? I currently have a kind of crappy yamaha one that came as part of a set and it's sometimes a bit hard to hear dialogue in surround-mixed content. I say £100 as I've had good luck with bookshelf speakers/studio monitors that cost around that much (each). Apparently it's the most important speaker for surround-mixed content and I am a stickler for audial clarity so I'm not above paying a bit more if it's required.

Also, how much should one expect to pay for a subwoofer of roughly equivalent quality? Any no-brainer recommendations? I never actually got round to buying one for this setup (I was scared of the vibrations bothering the neighbours and then just forgot)

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

Can anyone recommend a good entry-level centre channel speaker for around, idk, £100? I currently have a kind of crappy yamaha one that came as part of a set and it's sometimes a bit hard to hear dialogue in surround-mixed content. I say £100 as I've had good luck with bookshelf speakers/studio monitors that cost around that much (each). Apparently it's the most important speaker for surround-mixed content and I am a stickler for audial clarity so I'm not above paying a bit more if it's required.

Also, how much should one expect to pay for a subwoofer of roughly equivalent quality? Any no-brainer recommendations? I never actually got round to buying one for this setup (I was scared of the vibrations bothering the neighbours and then just forgot)

What's your current setup?

Throwing a different center channel in is unlikely to solve this problem unless you have a very specific situation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’ll drive any contemporary “normal” HT speakers to at least a normal listening volume.

In your shoes I’d probably replace the sub first (SVS sub IMO, or if cheaper—the PSW505 is a decent budget choice). Maybe even consider getting two if you want/can budget for it and save one for when you do your receiver upgrade (or at least maybe plan to get a matching second down the road).

Then do your speakers. Do your fronts/center first and then match the surrounds (or just get ‘em all at once, do whatever, I’m simply talking if budget is a limiting factor). If you think you want additional surrounds or height channels or Zone 2 or whatever now is a good time to think about it. It may be that you should buy them now or it might be that you can wait for a bit and buy them later. Probably worth checking to make sure that your speaker line won’t get discontinued before then.

Finally, after you’ve replaced your sub and gotten new speakers, then replace your receiver. Add any additional speakers you want but probably don’t go overboard and consider adding them two at a time. The returns on 13.4 vs 11.2 (which are really meant for dedicated home theater spaces) or whatever are way lower than on 11.2 vs 9.2, which are lower than 9.2 vs 7.2, which are lower than 7.2 vs 7.1 (really, balancing out your bass with a second sub>>super high channel count any day), etc. And I haven’t even touched on whether you have them in a traditional surround setup vs ATMOS (5.2.2, 7.2.4, etc…)

Well it would be frankly silly and a waste of time to do anything short of a 9.4.6 setup.

Oh baby

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wtf is that and why does it run XLR :psyboom:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You know why.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Because subwoofers often have rather long cable runs next to power cords, and because 50/60Hz hum is going to be a lot more noticeable coming from a subwoofer?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Wtf is that and why does it run XLR :psyboom:

Apparently you weren't around for the golden age of chonky boi home theater equipment.

Edit: honorable mention to this, which is a current product and is only a preamp - no speaker outputs.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 29, 2022

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

KillHour posted:

Edit: honorable mention to this, which is a current product and is only a preamp - no speaker outputs.

Are there any 16-channel receivers with 16 amps built in? I can’t think of any.

I feel like at that point having separate amps becomes a necessity to avoid excess heat, weight, and bulk. Even with Class D amplifiers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Are there any 16-channel receivers with 16 amps built in? I can’t think of any.

I feel like at that point having separate amps becomes a necessity to avoid excess heat, weight, and bulk. Even with Class D amplifiers.

Yes, but also there's no reason to need 16 channels in a home theater and even if you did, the preamp could probably reasonably be half that size.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

Apparently you weren't around for the golden age of chonky boi home theater equipment.

To be somewhat fair, that is an absolutely absurd amount of inputs. Component, s-video and composite for most of them. I'm glad almost everything has been consolidated into HDMI these days.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How else am I going to hook up every retro console ever made at once?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

aparmenideanmonad posted:

What's your current setup?

Throwing a different center channel in is unlikely to solve this problem unless you have a very specific situation.

The receiver is a lower-end Denon that I got round the end of 2020, I'm completely happy with it. Come to think of it the main problem is probably the 2 front speakers - they're these absolute bottom of the barrel 'Jamo' ones that I've had forever as a hand-me-down. I'm set on replacing those first because I would like to actually enjoy listening to music on this setup and they are absolutely awful for that. I wouldn't be surprised if they're drowning out vocals as they do that with any kind of audible detail. I want to replace those with the KEF Q150s since I've heard good things and I can get them for a good price on eBay.

The rear speakers are 'Wharfedale' hand-me-downs that I used instead of the rear surrounds that came with the Yamaha centre channel as they sounded less 'tinny'. I don't have a subwoofer.

Basically it's a complete hodgepodge of hand-me-downs because after I bought the TV and the receiver I didn't want to spend more money on speakers when I had some lying around. I meant to replace some of them eventually but neglected to once the COVID lockdowns opened up.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Generic Monk posted:

The receiver is a lower-end Denon that I got round the end of 2020, I'm completely happy with it. Come to think of it the main problem is probably the 2 front speakers - they're these absolute bottom of the barrel 'Jamo' ones that I've had forever as a hand-me-down. I'm set on replacing those first because I would like to actually enjoy listening to music on this setup and they are absolutely awful for that. I wouldn't be surprised if they're drowning out vocals as they do that with any kind of audible detail. I want to replace those with the KEF Q150s since I've heard good things and I can get them for a good price on eBay.

The rear speakers are 'Wharfedale' hand-me-downs that I used instead of the rear surrounds that came with the Yamaha centre channel as they sounded less 'tinny'. I don't have a subwoofer.

Basically it's a complete hodgepodge of hand-me-downs because after I bought the TV and the receiver I didn't want to spend more money on speakers when I had some lying around. I meant to replace some of them eventually but neglected to once the COVID lockdowns opened up.

Probably you're on the right track with replacing the L+R instead. When you get them, try disconnecting the center and listen to a bit of content with just 4.1 for a while, see if the dialog is clearer. (It could be, by virtue of coming from the new, higher-quality L+R speakers!)

Then compare with the center connected as well, in 5.1, and see if it improves or declines. Having a center speaker does not automatically make dialog easier to hear, since content these days is mixed to put a lot of stuff in that center channel. Dialog is competing with explosions and music, just like it does in L+R.

If you want to go a little into hifi nerd territory, technically a Yamaha center won't be matched well to another brand's L+R in terms of timbre, so unless they're all very neutral-sounding, you might find they sound odd together for some reason. I never used an unmatched center speaker so I can't say if this is usually a prominent effect, and anyway it would probably depend a lot on the particulars of your specific speakers. If you run any kind of Audyssey or similar process, at least you'll get them equalized and with normalized volumes so it should hopefully not be too terrible.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 29, 2022

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Probably you're on the right track with replacing the L+R instead. When you get them, try disconnecting the center and listen to a bit of content with just 4.1 for a while, see if the dialog is clearer. (It could be, by virtue of coming from the new, higher-quality L+R speakers!)

Then compare with the center connected as well, in 5.1, and see if it improves or declines. Having a center speaker does not automatically make dialog easier to hear, since content these days is mixed to put a lot of stuff in that center channel. Dialog is competing with explosions and music, just like it does in L+R.

If you want to go a little into hifi nerd territory, technically a Yamaha center won't be matched well to another brand's L+R in terms of timbre, so unless they're all very neutral-sounding, you might find they sound odd together for some reason. I never used an unmatched center speaker so I can't say if this is usually a prominent effect, and anyway it would probably depend a lot on the particulars of your specific speakers. If you run any kind of Audyssey or similar process, at least you'll get them equalized and with normalized volumes so it should hopefully not be too terrible.

Hifi nerd territory addendum - if you're looking into Q150s, you can get 3 and use one as a center either upright or turned on its side - will blend perfectly with your L&R then!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Hifi nerd territory addendum - if you're looking into Q150s, you can get 3 and use one as a center either upright or turned on its side - will blend perfectly with your L&R then!

Q250c is a well designed center to go with them, albeit pricey and never discounted, if you’d rather go a more conventional route. It’s not stupid small like many/most center channels.

KEF gets you with the discount Q150/Q350, because the Q250c/Q650c and Q50a (as mounted surrounds or height channels) are pretty much never on sale. If you can fit 150/350 in those roles it’s far and away best bang-for-buck, but it’s not always ideal depending on your space

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Q250c is a well designed center to go with them, albeit pricey and never discounted, if you’d rather go a more conventional route. It’s not stupid small like many/most center channels.

KEF gets you with the discount Q150/Q350, because the Q250c/Q650c and Q50a (as mounted surrounds or height channels) are pretty much never on sale. If you can fit 150/350 in those roles it’s far and away best bang-for-buck, but it’s not always ideal depending on your space

Exactly. Their Q series centers nearly match their R series pricing, so I can't imagine a budget where buying Q fronts + Q center makes sense especially when the Q150/350 can lie down without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with kits which come with speakers and receivers? I'm looking at https://onkyousa.com/home-audio/home-theater/ht-s3910 as a possibility, probably placing the subwoofer behind the couch.

I'm replacing an old stereo setup with 2 big bookshelf speakers and a Denon amp. Aesthetics are more of a priority now, so I'm hoping to replace the big bulky speakers on floor stands with some nice smaller speakers which can sit on little wall mounts or on the shelves on the sides of the TV.

We're also going to wall-mount the TV, so the HDMI switching feature of this receiver seems appealing for the fact that we won't need to dig around behind the wall mount to get more devices plugged in--we can just pull the receiver forward and plug into one of those ports.