Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What if Futaba is a pervert who is into found family roleplay? In this essay, I will dissect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Neeksy posted:

Perhaps the reason there's as much controversy around the relationship and S.Link is because the base game is poorly written by a guy who doesn't actually understand psychology or society all that well. Like, if it was written better, there could be ways to present these scenarios in a way that doesn't invite people to assume the worst intent.

I think people assume the worst intent for no specific reason. I can't recall anything the protagonist does or could say that reads as predatory during the Futaba S-Link. Obviously, he does help Futaba, but I think if you read something weird into that, it's your own problem. The objection to the option of having a romantic link with Futaba seems to be based around the idea that Futaba cannot make a choice for herself, hence this complaint:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i don't want to get personal but there are reasons for me to get weirded out at the implication that it's unhealthy for people with like, a moderate anxiety disorder to date people or some poo poo

If there's one thing that's practically canonical, it's that Futaba can and does express and enforce her own boundaries with regards to interpersonal relationships of any sort, so I think it's rather stupid to believe that in any hypothetical relationship which is otherwise appropriate, she's being taken advantage of.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neeksy posted:

Come to think of it, relative to the cast of 2 and 4, do the cast of P5 really get to confront their own ugliness or inner demons all that much?

It really feels like that aspect of the series kinda fell by the wayside because it was more interested in upselling how bad the villains are and how put-upon each member is. They end up being defined more by their victimhood and revenge than how they really got shaped as people by these things.

Of course this is just my memory from the base game of P5, so feel free to correct anything I'm misjudging here.

Going from P4, where the idea was that Shadows are a distorted caricature of who you are, to P5 where the message seems to be these are who in fact they really are, was always strange to me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Considering all the Palace rulers are explicitly stated to have distorted desires the Shadow Selves being distorted caricatures still seems to be true, it's just a matter of which aspect of the personality is "in control". In Persona 4, where the party members are still (debatably in some cases) essentially good people, the Shadow Selves are not in control of the character's actions. In Persona 5, where the Palace rulers are all basically ruled by their own personal distortions, the Shadow Selves are clearly in control, even if the rulers themselves don't realize that they've deviated from their core personalities.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arist posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say that, so if anyone was doing that in this thread I must have glossed right over it

I said it because half her lines are like a kid demanding her favorite food and also in her palace she depicts herself as tiny suggesting she's was much younger than the ~13 she would have been at the canonical time of the murder.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

The palace music and walking-around music in the third semester are both good.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I replayed strikers for a bit during the holiday trips. I'm happy they now allow you to use Royal battle music too. Take Over is still a banging track.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can you progress Social Links in the, uh, Royal-exclusive segment? I've maxed every non-Royal Link except Hanged Man and Devil, and wanna know if I can pick them back up in the new year, cause I'm on the day before the last day of original P5.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Can you progress Social Links in the, uh, Royal-exclusive segment? I've maxed every non-Royal Link except Hanged Man and Devil, and wanna know if I can pick them back up in the new year, cause I'm on the day before the last day of original P5.

Yes but you won't have a lot of time
E: oh but there's some minimums you needed to reach on the royal ones
you needed to finish Maruki before he left the school. And Akechis last few are part of the story. You needed him at ... 8? Before betrayal. Yoshizawa from her previous max of 5

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 28, 2022

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The first time I played Royal I didn't max out Maruki's link and then was confused when I beat the game and did not get any extra content lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PT6A posted:

I think people assume the worst intent for no specific reason. I can't recall anything the protagonist does or could say that reads as predatory during the Futaba S-Link. Obviously, he does help Futaba, but I think if you read something weird into that, it's your own problem. The objection to the option of having a romantic link with Futaba seems to be based around the idea that Futaba cannot make a choice for herself, hence this complaint:

It's kind of like how people claim that none of the potential romances among the Thieves are 'ethical' because Joker is the leader and there are issues with the 'power dynamics.'

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Tired Moritz posted:

What if Futaba is a pervert who is into found family roleplay? In this essay, I will dissect

Mishima posted:

Got a request from the phansite, some sicko is writing slashfic crit about the thieves

Joker posted:

Does MM stand for "Much Mishima"?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes but you won't have a lot of time
E: oh but there's some minimums you needed to reach on the royal ones
you needed to finish Maruki before he left the school. And Akechis last few are part of the story. You needed him at ... 8? Before betrayal. Yoshizawa from her previous max of 5

Yeah I got all the Royal links to their available max, I was just worried I wouldn't have time to finish Devil and Hanged Man. Well, I wouldn't mind missing Devil, I just can't care about Ohya.

With any luck I should be able to finish Royal in like two weeks so I can finally get started on Pokemon.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't think it's unethical for Joker to date Futaba because she has mental health problems, but I do think it's unethical for Joker to date her when she has mental health problems and he's practically her therapist. But whatever, it's just pixels so date whoever you want.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Royal semester doesn’t give you a lot of time, but you should be good because Devil and Hanged Man are both night confidants, and I think all of the new optional events are daytime ones.

Personally I always found Haru to be the least wholesome of the non-adult romance options, because Futaba at least has a relationship and boundaries with the other Phantom Thieves, and I read her teasing of Inari as something resembling a crush, while Haru's Confidant story is entirely about her having zero peers her age and how Joker is the only man she has ever interacted with as an equal. I think the confession scene is even the very same scene as the one where she finally gets to cut off her abusive ex, meaning that the only way for her to be single for more than five minutes of her life is to turn her down.

That’s not making any sort of universal judgment; it really depends on what you read into the characters. My favorite of Joker's options are Yoshisawa chiefly because she's into him from day one. If you read Joker as reciprocating that, it’s a relationship of two kids with obvious chemistry hitting it off from day one, rather than Joker winning over the girl with his friendship. Nothing wrong with the latter, but the former is hella underrepresented in these kinds of stories. Also there are a lot of less healthy ways to read that relationship.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I don't think it's unethical for Joker to date Futaba because she has mental health problems, but I do think it's unethical for Joker to date her when she has mental health problems and he's practically her therapist. But whatever, it's just pixels so date whoever you want.

That's a good way of putting it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The Royal semester doesn’t give you a lot of time, but you should be good because Devil and Hanged Man are both night confidants, and I think all of the new optional events are daytime ones.

Dope! Maybe I will max everyone in my first playthrough after all!

Sure hurts seeing all those social status points wasted though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
if it's unethical to date someone who therapises you why is the school therapist always trying to lure children into his office with treats, especially the main character

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

if it's unethical to date someone who therapises you why is the school therapist always trying to lure children into his office with treats, especially the main character

To be fair they're very good treats.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like are you really gonna say no to free Phantom Wafers or Donut-Worry?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

PT6A posted:

I haven't got the Futaba SL ranked up in my current playthrough, but from what I remember: isn't the whole point that, at the end, she's no longer dependent on Joker? If the romance option were presented at Rank 1: skeevy. At rank 10? Relationships evolve. I have friends who started out as friends with each other, and then started dating. It's not weird, they have a healthy relationship, in contrast to the relationships both of them were in before that. Is it possible, given the circumstances, that one could be taking advantage of the other? I suppose so, but I don't think that's the case. They're both lovely, kind people who get to make their own choices.

The creepy part for me is the way her romance branch works, Futaba goes "I keep having these flustered feelings when I'm near you. What does that mean?", which is so loving creepy and childish, and then Joker can explain to her that this means she's in love with him. As others have said, if the social link was about Futaba learning to navigate life and become more independent and over the course of this falling in love with Joker, fine, they're teenagers who are close enough in age, better than Joker dating his teacher in a maid outfit. But at the last minute it regresses to "Uwu, big bwother, teach me about wuv!" and that's just hosed up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

IMO all the ethical stuff is secondary to the fact that I just like the idea of Futaba gaining a new family member after losing her mom and having nothing but Sojiro left. A very wholesome outcome that just happens to be mutually exclusive with the romantic route.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

To be fair they're very good treats.

Sweet and salty but never sour or spicy, Maruki gotta Maruki.

And I'm not sure so much whether Sumi is into Joker or wants to be him. Look at her costume, or her stance in combat - or even mess around at darts and watch her aim at wherever you hit. But yes, Sumi and Haru are the two I find clearly and unequivocally into Joker while Makoto has that fake dating arc. Also someone mentioned Haru as long term isolated; I don't think she's any more isolated than "waits by the school gate in the rain" Makoto. By the standards of the Phantom Thieves Futaba's on the socially adept side.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm pretty sure Sumire forces herself to hang around Joker at first and once her psychological burden is lifted feels obligated to him. Whether those feelings become real or remain false is up to the wild card~*

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

I'm pretty sure Sumire forces herself to hang around Joker at first and once her psychological burden is lifted feels obligated to him. Whether those feelings become real or remain false is up to the wild card~*

That really doesn't explain her Joker-themed costume in the metaverse. Seriously, black outfit, black tailcoat with red gloves, a flash of silver (her hip rose, Joker's pocket handkerchief), and a black and silver mask. It couldn't be more Joker-inspired if she tried. Or e.g. hanging round after the cleanup or making Joker a bento box.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay I'm really stupid. I only just now noticed, on my third playthrough of p5, that it tells you what personality the demons have even if you've never caught one before

Lmao holy poo poo, this whole time I've been trying to use like... logic lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im pretty sure yoshizawa just has a crush on Joker lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
From Yoshizawa's perspective Joker is a cute boy who dropped into her life and spends all their interactions standing up for her, supporting her, and taking enough of an interest in her hobby to ask to train with her. So yeah imma go with she's crushing hard.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also they get to know each other before he crashes into her life by kicking her personal demons' manifested rear end.

Which also goes for Makoto, which I also like because if they get together, their relationship is being dorks who have no idea they're into each other until they've been on three dates, which is a wholly different underutilized trope. Plus Joker's debilitating anti-cop aura can only be good for her.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

precision posted:

Okay I'm really stupid. I only just now noticed, on my third playthrough of p5, that it tells you what personality the demons have even if you've never caught one before

Lmao holy poo poo, this whole time I've been trying to use like... logic lol

I've weirdly found myself almost never recruiting demons on this playthrough. I just fuse them all (which is easier because of how easy it is to get money in Royal). I don't think I've recruited a single demon using dialogue since the first Palace.

neonchameleon posted:

Sweet and salty but never sour or spicy, Maruki gotta Maruki.

And I'm not sure so much whether Sumi is into Joker or wants to be him. Look at her costume, or her stance in combat - or even mess around at darts and watch her aim at wherever you hit. But yes, Sumi and Haru are the two I find clearly and unequivocally into Joker while Makoto has that fake dating arc. Also someone mentioned Haru as long term isolated; I don't think she's any more isolated than "waits by the school gate in the rain" Makoto. By the standards of the Phantom Thieves Futaba's on the socially adept side.

I think Makoto has the most chemistry in the main plot arc, largely because she's the closest thing to your "equal" among the Phantom Thieves and is almost a sort of second leader. Her S-link kinda sucks because it just plays up how socially inexperienced she is.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think Makoto has the most chemistry in the main plot arc, largely because she's the closest thing to your "equal" among the Phantom Thieves and is almost a sort of second leader. Her S-link kinda sucks because it just plays up how socially inexperienced she is.

If you're going to ignore Akechi I think it's Makoto or Sumi in the main plot and Haru or Sumi in the S-link. The fake-dating manages to be a negative with Makoto.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The real answer to all of this is to not date anyone because then you get to hang out with Ryuji and Yusuke more and those holiday events are way more entertaining than any of the romance ones

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

neonchameleon posted:

If you're going to ignore Akechi

"Joker what the gently caress he literally killed my mom and Haru's dad and like a bunch of other people including trying to kill YOU, and he's not even sorry about any of it! He's standing right over there pulling legs off bugs while cackling!!!"

"I can fix him."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sydin posted:

"Joker what the gently caress he literally killed my mom and Haru's dad and like a bunch of other people including trying to kill YOU, and he's not even sorry about any of it! He's standing right over there pulling legs off bugs while cackling!!!"

”I can fix him."”I can make him worse”

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Unironically this. Akechi is only fun when he is a complete fucker.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hunt11 posted:

Unironically this. Akechi is only fun when he is a complete fucker.

so, always?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Only when he is out and proud about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The best person to date is the drunk girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Sometimes I kind of wish the game had gone in a really interesting direction and made Makoto the deuteragonist with Joker, allowing the player to take control of the characters at different times in the story. She kind of ends up taking on his tactical role in the thieves anyway and her interview showdown with akechi was a highlight. It would have made the aspect of the original ending where Joker gets taken in anyway interesting if you as a player then get an active role in getting him out via controlling Makoto.