Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

all I want from this batch is for (not-)Kachou and Fuugetsu to show up once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

In hindsight, it should have been placed after the Hisoka fight and before the boat starts its journey. Here it's affecting the pace of the succession fight, yes. Then again, it's better to do it now than to wait until the Troupe find Kurapica or Hisoka.
I think now is as good a time to place this flashback. Hisoka vs Chrollo was a 1v1 and more about Hisoka getting what he had coming to him and emerging from it with a different perspective on how to fight others. He's always prided himself as being the strongest person in the world and he got humbled for his hubris. This flashback seems to be about the troupe, their relationship with meteor city as a whole, and the inciting incident that lead to the Kurta massacre as Togashi hinted at as the "Side-B" to his Volume 0 story. Since this boat now properly has all the relevant parties together, and we'll likely see the end of the Spiders and potentially the death of Kurapika getting this last bit out now instead of before a fight that doesn't involve Kurapika might be more appropriate. I don't think it negatively impacts the pacing, we just don't have the usual "meanwhile in Room 10XX" that the Tier-1 storylines use to juggle that many subplots. Thankfully once the Clash chapters started Hinrigh and his crew became the primary vehicle for navigating all these different factions and conflicts down below.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

quote:

the death of Kurapika
no. I refuse.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

no. I refuse.

Yes, embrace it. And with his death, Leorio will assume the role of protagonist. Finally!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

No Wave posted:

no. I refuse.

[X]
Don't be surprised when Kurapika has to sacrifice himself to save Woble's and Oito in the end.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I like the flashback but I also want to know about everything else so plz togashi don't hiatus too quickly this time. What with all the new assistants and stuff I'm kind of optimistic that it's gonna stick around for a bit this time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Brought To You By posted:

[X]
Don't be surprised when Kurapika has to sacrifice himself to save Woble's and Oito in the end.
well yeah, everyone's gonna die at some point in their lives!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

the remaining members of the Zoaldyck family (who I assume various Blacklist Hunters will be going after now that Illumi, Killua, Alluka, and Kalluto are all away).

Just wanted to add that Killua still hasn’t found out about Gotoh’s death, and we still don’t know why a Kiriko is impersonating Gotoh. So there’s definitely some Zoaldyck-related loose ends.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Just wanted to add that Killua still hasn’t found out about Gotoh’s death, and we still don’t know why a Kiriko is impersonating Gotoh. So there’s definitely some Zoaldyck-related loose ends.

Pretty sure they have a Kiriko pretending to be Gotoh so Killua does not find out that Gotoh died for him, and seek retribution against Illumi for it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

No Wave posted:

And it just so happens that the Black Whale makes the perfect coffin for some people.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think that or the identity of the remaining Zoldyks are unresolved plot points. They're information we'd like to know as readers but they're just parts of the larger setting, not stuff set up for the main story like Gyro. In the latter's case, we got dedicated flashbacks and named characters seeking him out, and we are straight up told that Gon will meet him in the future.

I think we might get more Zoldyk info on the Dark Continent in regards to how Nanika got to the inner world, as well as follow up on the two brothers in the troupe (I don't really see them dying like the rest),

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I don't think that or the identity of the remaining Zoldyks are unresolved plot points. They're information we'd like to know as readers but they're just parts of the larger setting, not stuff set up for the main story like Gyro. In the latter's case, we got dedicated flashbacks and named characters seeking him out, and we are straight up told that Gon will meet him in the future.

I think we might get more Zoldyk info on the Dark Continent in regards to how Nanika got to the inner world, as well as follow up on the two brothers in the troupe (I don't really see them dying like the rest),

I think Illumi will die, at least. Kalluto might survive due to Kurapica’s moral qualms about killing a child, but I’m pretty sure Hisoka, Morena, and Benjamin have no such principles.

Edit: Speaking of Illumi and Kalluto, I’d like to see more interaction between them. It’s weird how Illumi tends to talk and act as though Killua was his only sibling.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 28, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

I think Illumi will die, at least. Kalluto might survive due to Kurapica’s moral qualms about killing a child, but I’m pretty sure Hisoka, Morena, and Benjamin have no such principles.

Edit: Speaking of Illumi and Kalluto, I’d like to see more interaction between them. It’s weird how Illumi tends to talk and act as though Killua was his only sibling.

I don’t think Illumi will die until he meet with Killua again.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don’t think Illumi will die until he meet with Killua again.

Yep, Illumi has to be kept alive for the Killua + Ai arc resolution, he is playing with god mode in this arc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd love to know on a power ranking where killua currently sits

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
While the Illumi being Hisoka in disguise theory didn't pan out I still wouldn't be surprised if they were still allied in secret. I think Kurapika's beef is mostly with the spiders acting at the time of the Kurta massacre, which would exclude Illumi and Kalluto.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep, Illumi has to be kept alive for the Killua + Ai arc resolution, he is playing with god mode in this arc.
I think that arc's more or less resolved, honestly. The Zoldycks accepted Alluka as a member of the family (as symbolized by Kikyo removing the restrictions on her) and Killua accepted Nanika as Alluka's equal. Killua had his big confrontation with Illumi and completely rejected both his control and his ideals. The only dangling threads are Nanika's origin and Illumi's plot to control her through Killua; the former can be revealed during the Dark Continent arc without her even being there, assuming the connection between her and Ai isn't the world's most ridiculous coincidence, and the latter can be snipped with Illumi's death.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nanika literally has a panel saying 'I'm from the dark continent', origin already resolved IMO.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

While the Illumi being Hisoka in disguise theory didn't pan out I still wouldn't be surprised if they were still allied in secret. I think Kurapika's beef is mostly with the spiders acting at the time of the Kurta massacre, which would exclude Illumi and Kalluto.

I also think the pair are bulletproof since they are only there for Hisoka and Kalluto only joined to get closer to Killua so neither have a reason to stick around if the rest of the Troupe suffers heavy losses. Illumi is all business and the moment Hisoka dies he'll just leave because he got paid.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Nanika literally has a panel saying 'I'm from the dark continent', origin already resolved IMO.

That's from one of the between chapter splash pages in the collected volume. It is a hilariously huge plot bomb that people who only read online don't know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oh jay posted:

That's from one of the between chapter splash pages in the collected volume. It is a hilariously huge plot bomb that people who only read online don't know.

I was sure it was mentioned before.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

No Wave posted:

Not if they contract the immortality disease. :smug:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I was sure it was mentioned before.

The connection can be made when the one official visits the V5 bunker where they store the victims of the Calamity. There are two different samples of Ai victims, one wrung up like a towel and another that is squashed flat with a hand and foot protuding from the top and bottom respectively. The Guy mentoring that official talks about how there were victims of the Ai that were found on the human side of the border and it happened in front of many witnesses. The method of being squashed flat matches the flashback where the Zoldyck's used one of their butlers who was in a relationship to test what happens when a three requests from Nanika are denied and they were similarly squashed into a bloody pulp.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Tunicate posted:

Oh, I get that much. But we don't know the circumstances of her possession (?) by Ai-Nanika, so there's still something that could be revealed. I don't think there's anything wrong with leaving it unexplained, though.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Nonexistence posted:

Can Kurapika even use his chain on them and Hisoka?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Meme Emulator posted:

Can Kurapika even use his chain on them and Hisoka?
I don't see why he wouldn't be able to. They are, to our and Kurapika's knowledge, full, recognized, self-identified members of the Troupe. It's not like Kurapika's vow includes a "must have been a member for at least one year" clause.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A reminder that Kurapica has:

Dowsing Chain
Holy Chain
Steal Chain
Judgment Chain
Chain Jail

And only the last one is limited to the Troupe. Then you have to add he is still fairly new to Nen (2 years being a nen user?), and his Emperor Time, and his genius level intellect, and man, Togashi should have kept him his power level under check.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 28, 2022

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Elephant Parade posted:

I don't see why he wouldn't be able to. They are, to our and Kurapika's knowledge, full, recognized, self-identified members of the Troupe. It's not like Kurapika's vow includes a "must have been a member for at least one year" clause.

I just couldnt remember if his restriction was that he couldnt use the chain on non-spiders or non-massacre members

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

Illumi and Kalluto, yes, but not Hisoka, who not only has quit the Troupe but also never actually got a tattoo.

It’s a bit weird that he faked the tattoo, even with Deceitful Texture, since you’d think they would have Machi tattoo new members rather than making them find their own tattoo artists.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe he used deceitful texture before getting tattooed

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
one of the reasons this arc has been so good is that kurapika is for once a little bit in over his head and can't resolve everything with his op powers, it's a much more interesting scenario

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

It's in the shonen jump online version.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Dowsing Chain
Holy Chain
Steal Chain
Judgment Chain
Chain Jail

And only the last one is limited to the Troupe. Then you have to add he is still fairly new to Nen (2 years being a nen user?), and his Emperor Time, and his genius level intellect, and man, Togashi should have kept him his power level under check.

There’s a price for all that, though. I think Dowsing Chain is the only one he can use without Emperor Time, and Steal Chain can get him stuck in Emperor Time if he isn’t careful. Plus by developing so many techniques so early, he’s cut off his potential to develop, unlike Gon and Killua who gradually got stronger (until Gon sacrificed his potential even more dramatically).

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ken'i's smile is some byproduct of knowing when people will die, i guess? seems too weird and abstract to be a direct nen ability.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

anyone i smile at dies.... eventually

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Lpzie posted:

ken'i's smile is some byproduct of knowing when people will die, i guess? seems too weird and abstract to be a direct nen ability.
It probably just makes someone more likely to die, which wouldn't be any sillier than Lovely Ghostwriter.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Just caught up with the recent chapters, Hinrigh's a really cool dude and I hope he makes it out of the upcoming bloodbath unscathed. Also do we know how long this Phantom Troupe flashback is going to be?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lpzie posted:

I don't think it's an ability, it's just likely that the dude rarely smiles and when he does people tend to end up dying, but given that the dude is next in line to lead a Mafia family, it's not like death is something uncommon in his field of work. So it's just a rumor/superstition that people have about him that gets blown out of proportion and just happens to work out sometimes, is my take.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I think its the trigger to activate a remote ability. Making him an Emitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Turin Turambar posted:

Dowsing Chain
Holy Chain
Steal Chain
Judgment Chain
Chain Jail

It's funny how we saw the world through Gon and Killua's eyes for so long, and the people around them responding to how they're one in a billion geniuses with Nen. The absolute fastest, most absurd rise in nen capability and mastery people have ever seen.

Meanwhile, in a shack haflway across the world, Kurapika mastered and developed nen to a level where he's a one man threat against the most powerful conglomeration of nen users short of the Hunter association itself. Even without the induced Zetsu thing he pulled off on the spiders, he was embarrassing Uvo before gon and killua even knew what a Hatsu really was. He's going to loving die for it sooner than later but, hey, so did Gon.