Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

repiv posted:

it's ok the plan will come together any minute now

https://twitter.com/ElonGoatToken/status/1596930741296041984

Not a cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMoney
Jul 19, 2004
Price goes up, price goes down.

But the technology continues to evolve, iterate and get battle tested. Nothing healthier for an emerging asset class/fast moving tech space than serious wash outs of the weaker protocols/opportunists not in it for a sustainable long run. Only the strong will survive...all markets are about to get crushed but crypto just moves faster and doesn't get the benefit of government bailouts, which is healthy.

All real world assets will be tokenized, vast majority of governments will eventually encourage the use of digital wallets with CBDC's and both public and private blockchain protocols will help change how the world transacts, transfers and invests in digital value and digital property rights.

It will make more sense when things start to scale in the AR/VR hardware space (Apple is going in hard on AR next year), merging with AI at scale, and the UX for storing and transferring digital assets gets much easier...and gaming NFT's will be HUGE in onboarding the younger generations. Digital twins/AI agents will get paid with smart contracts in the tokens of whatever protocol/ecosystem they are functioning on...automated mobility vehicles will also get paid in microtransactions through blockchain tech/smart contracts. That's a world that probably won't be here in full bloom until 2028/2030 but its coming...just a matter of building the infrastructure.

The puzzle pieces are not all there yet so definitely understand any skepticism...plenty of kinks to still be worked out but the developers will continue to work on it and I am still confident the crypto space will experience yet another regularly scheduled strong bullrun around 2025.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

source your quotes

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

EMoney posted:

...and gaming NFT's will be HUGE in onboarding the younger generations.

Extremely lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EMoney posted:

Price goes up, price goes down.

But the technology continues to evolve, iterate and get battle tested. Nothing healthier for an emerging asset class/fast moving tech space than serious wash outs of the weaker protocols/opportunists not in it for a sustainable long run. Only the strong will survive...all markets are about to get crushed but crypto just moves faster and doesn't get the benefit of government bailouts, which is healthy.

All real world assets will be tokenized, vast majority of governments will eventually encourage the use of digital wallets with CBDC's and both public and private blockchain protocols will help change how the world transacts, transfers and invests in digital value and digital property rights.

It will make more sense when things start to scale in the AR/VR hardware space (Apple is going in hard on AR next year), merging with AI at scale, and the UX for storing and transferring digital assets gets much easier...and gaming NFT's will be HUGE in onboarding the younger generations. Digital twins/AI agents will get paid with smart contracts in the tokens of whatever protocol/ecosystem they are functioning on...automated mobility vehicles will also get paid in microtransactions through blockchain tech/smart contracts. That's a world that probably won't be here in full bloom until 2028/2030 but its coming...just a matter of building the infrastructure.

The puzzle pieces are not all there yet so definitely understand any skepticism...plenty of kinks to still be worked out but the developers will continue to work on it and I am still confident the crypto space will experience yet another regularly scheduled strong bullrun around 2025.

Nope. Crypto is a scam and just another in a long line of techie fads. VR has little uses beyond gaming, AR has some uses but nothing solid yet outside of Defense and Industrial uses, AI isn't real and Machine Learning is still a massive problem.

Its no coincidence that nearly all Crypto and NFT poo poo is directly linked to Rug Pulls and scams.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Squiggle posted:

Extremely lol

That shout McDonalds patent but instead its bitcoin

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

repiv posted:

it's ok the plan will come together any minute now

https://twitter.com/ElonGoatToken/status/1596930741296041984

As trite as it is to call things you don't like on the Internet "a religion" I cannot see any other way to interpret this

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
every time i think that elon musk is the dumbest, most pathetic motherfucker on the planet, his fanboys are there to prove me wrong

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

ZeusCannon posted:

That shout McDonalds patent but instead its bitcoin

The funniest patent image of all time

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

EMoney posted:

gaming NFT's will be HUGE

oh yeah?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Anyone who thinks "developers will figure out the issues" with crypto is either a tech-adjacent "engineer" huffing their own farts or a massive rube

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Squiggle posted:

Anyone who thinks "developers will figure out the issues" with crypto is either a tech-adjacent "engineer" huffing their own farts or a massive rube

Even worse that they are stuck believing its a technical rather than a social issue.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

And what technical issues that exist are actually social problems trying to be solved via code instead of via social means or through personal psychotherapy. The blockchain, e.g., solves the "problem" of being unable to trust people. That's not a technical issue, that's a you issue or an issue broader in society that tries to fix something fundamentally flawed in how we live.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Even worse that they are stuck believing its a technical rather than a social issue.

Right, exactly - it's such blatantly stupid Segway-brained horseshit. We will change cities forever by making scooters wider, 20x more expensive, and require constant power to function

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 28, 2022

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

kw0134 posted:

source your quotes

i think i recognise bits of that, from some time last year

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kw0134 posted:

And what technical issues that exist are actually social problems trying to be solved via code instead of via social means or through personal psychotherapy. The blockchain, e.g., solves the "problem" of being unable to trust people. That's not a technical issue, that's a you issue or an issue broader in society that tries to fix something fundamentally flawed in how we live.

Yup. The issue is Blockchain is a solution looking for a problem. It doesn't solve trust issues because you can lie to the blockchain. A human still must enter or verify the data put on the chain, and there's no solution that Blockchain can provide there. Even more this generally doesn't do a better job than previous systems/databases.

And it doesn't really decentralize anything but data storage, which is nice, but the data itself tends to be centralized.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 28, 2022

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

EMoney posted:

and gaming NFT's will be HUGE in onboarding the younger generations

Why would a game developer want to add NFTs to their game? We have ways to track unique items/entitlements, it's called a database. The use case that's always mentioned is "imagine getting a cool unique sword in WoW and getting to use the same sword in every game you play!" What does that actually mean? Why would I, a game developer, want to allow players to use items in my game that they bought from someone else? What does "use it in another game" mean, when different games have completely different mechanics? Who is doing the work to bring the assets from one game to another? Who's making sure the characters animate properly when holding my unique sword? Who's handling the difference in art styles and lighting models? My game is 2D, how do I represent this 3D asset? My game is 3D, how do I represent this 2D asset? What's the benefit? Where's the business pitch?

The closest example we've had to something like this is Microsoft's Xbox Live avatars. Microsoft was *desperate* for Avatars to take off and become the new thing that every game needed, that and Kinect were going to be the killer next-gen features that Sony just didn't have that would firmly establish their dominance in the XB1/PS4 generation. So since Microsoft was motivated to make this work, they offered third party developers bunches of money to integrate Avatars. I worked on two games that integrated Avatars, and guess what -- it was a complete mess. There is no such thing as a universal asset format, so supporting Avatars meant building an art pipeline that works at runtime to take Avatar model/texture data and bring it in to the engine. The skeletons are of course a completely different rig than your characters, so you need to completely retarget any animations you want them to play. The Avatars aren't set up to work with your lighting pipeline, so you have to make huge tradeoffs about how you render them. This is with one standard, one art style, one "type of thing", pushed by a very motivated company with more money than god that is willing to pay you to support this.

Find me some sources about what "gaming NFTs" would look like that satisfies ONE of these three requirements. Not all three, just one:
1) Has a business case for developers/publishers
2) Is desirable for consumers (play-to-earn doesn't count)
3) Could be accomplished with less effort than existing solutions

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Bitcoin has only been around 13 years guys, it needs a few more years to mature.

EMoney
Jul 19, 2004
Yep, crypto must step away from the immature speculative phase into a utility phase, which will only come when regulatory clarity finally arrives and the digital infrastructure for immersive hardware, IOT, and AI in full bloom starts to scale. I am strongly confident that's where its headed and am willing to stomach the initial WILD volatility to see it through...definitely WAY far out on the risk curve and do not consider it an investable space for the passive observer yet.

Just like a company like Uber could have only happened with widespread mobile adoption and enterprise-grade GPS, the crypto space will start to see its "killer apps" develop once the technology is matured and enterprise/institutions feel like the regulation is strong enough to get in without running afoul of regulators and digital assets can be merged with other emerging technologies to create the creative Cambrian explosion of utility we couldn't have possibly predicted until it just happens.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

EMoney posted:

I am strongly confident

I wish real gravestone epitaphs had the Call of Duty feature that plays back the last microphone utterances of the dead because I'm positive this would be on like half of them

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
your word salad is bullshit.

Also I hate nft/coin gaming because its stans want supriorty in a game for zero effort and just pure ownership of a thing.

lol at the bloomberg or wallstreet article about nft mario kart.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EMoney posted:

Yep, crypto must step away from the immature speculative phase into a utility phase, which will only come when regulatory clarity finally arrives and the digital infrastructure for immersive hardware, IOT, and AI in full bloom starts to scale. I am strongly confident that's where its headed and am willing to stomach the initial WILD volatility to see it through...definitely WAY far out on the risk curve and do not consider it an investable space for the passive observer yet.

Just like a company like Uber could have only happened with widespread mobile adoption and enterprise-grade GPS, the crypto space will start to see its "killer apps" develop once the technology is matured and enterprise/institutions feel like the regulation is strong enough to get in without running afoul of regulators and digital assets can be merged with other emerging technologies to create the creative Cambrian explosion of utility we couldn't have possibly predicted until it just happens.

Uber is an utter financial failure held up only by the thinnest of margins.

And LMAO if Bitcoin gets regulated it literally defeats the purpose of defi in the first place, and doesn't do anything to actually upset the balance vs fiat finance.

You really need to get help, this is absolute financial nonsense you are talking.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

THERE'S MORE THAN ONE?!??!!?!?

This world is doomed.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

istewart posted:

What even was the stated point of having a token tied to this stupid thing? I know the real point was to rip off credulous goobers, but there had to be some kind of vaguely plausible investment pitch here, right? I'd go look it up, but I don't want to give these idiots any more traffic.

You know how every ponzi scheme has those few lucky people who get in at the start and make bank? Well, this is just a bunch of people thinking "This time I'm gonna get in on the ground floor and be rich!" And... that's it, Elon Goat coin (or whatever) is literally just crypto gamblers betting that they'll be the lucky early backers when Elon gives their ugly goat sculpture exposure and the price jumps due to bag holders/suckers buying in. It's a crypto pump and dump using the most stupid methods possible.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Durzel posted:

Bitcoin has only been around 13 years guys, it needs a few more years to mature.

So you're telling me that crypto bros will lose interest in 4~ years.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I don't know if EMoney is trolling but judging from his posts in here... it is a really good troll.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

more falafel please posted:

Why would a game developer want to add NFTs to their game?
Basically the only advantage to a game getting involved in cryptoshit is if they want there to be a real-money secondary market for something and they don't want to deal with the massive legal problems of operating it themselves, although it'd probably have loads of legal issues anyway.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

EMoney posted:

utility phase, which will only come when regulatory clarity finally arrives

lol, how about "dont do crimes" as clarity

crypto faithful coming out and pretending like their schemes and scams are "actually different, because computer", and therefore it is actually the regulators fault when they explode after stealing everyones money is hilarious every time

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Strong Sauce posted:

I don't know if EMoney is trolling but judging from his posts in here... it is a really good troll.

His name is EMoney. Take that for what you will.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

EMoney posted:

:words:? Namaste, Seraph.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

OneEightHundred posted:

Basically the only advantage to a game getting involved in cryptoshit is if they want there to be a real-money secondary market for something and they don't want to deal with the massive legal problems of operating it themselves, although it'd probably have loads of legal issues anyway.

Oh yeah, a real money auction house would be a great idea. It would work especially well for a game like, idk, Diablo

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember one of Elon's big breaks was buying a share in PayPal. I don't think he ever really got over not being able to stick his name on that.

Dumber than that, Musk founded a similar company and PayPal bought him out and gave him a do nothing job until Ebay made them all billionaires. He was just in the right place at the right time to get paid and has been riding that poo poo for 20+ years.

CommieGIR posted:

Yup. The issue is Blockchain is a solution looking for a problem. It doesn't solve trust issues because you can lie to the blockchain. A human still must enter or verify the data put on the chain, and there's no solution that Blockchain can provide there. Even more this generally doesn't do a better job than previous systems/databases.

And it doesn't really decentralize anything but data storage, which is nice, but the data itself tends to be centralized.

The funniest part of all of that is that Etherium was supposed to solve the third party problem with the idea of a Smart Contract, but everyone interested in crypto looked at the concept of using a blockchain and decided to store their tokens in exchanges instead. And these people still talk about DeFi and being their own bank while storing all their crypto on various exchanges and touching the actual blockchain as little as possible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

The funniest part of all of that is that Etherium was supposed to solve the third party problem with the idea of a Smart Contract, but everyone interested in crypto looked at the concept of using a blockchain and decided to store their tokens in exchanges instead. And these people still talk about DeFi and being their own bank while storing all their crypto on various exchanges and touching the actual blockchain as little as possible.

The best part being abusing Smart contracts to just wipe out people's wallets. Such schadenfreude

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
In case anyone here doesn't have the gbs musk thread bookmarked, he's on a huge tirade against Apple right now, and it looks like it might be over the checkmark subscriptions. Watch him be insane enough to try to shove crypto into the site to try to sidestep payment processor fees (and then have the app delisted and/or get everything hacked)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sentient Data posted:

In case anyone here doesn't have the gbs musk thread bookmarked, he's on a huge tirade against Apple right now, and it looks like it might be over the checkmark subscriptions. Watch him be insane enough to try to shove crypto into the site to try to sidestep payment processor fees (and then have the app delisted and/or get everything hacked)

His raging at the 30% cut apple takes means that he's probably also looking for ways to monetize from inside the app (i.e. subscriptions, other poo poo users buy, not advertisers)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cyrano4747 posted:

His raging at the 30% cut apple takes means that he's probably also looking for ways to monetize from inside the app (i.e. subscriptions, other poo poo users buy, not advertisers)
No, he’s only mentioning the thing that hundreds of millions of people have known for years to drum up support for being champion of the little guy.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Oh yeah, a real money auction house would be a great idea. It would work especially well for a game like, idk, Diablo
I mean it's A reason, not a good reason.

Plus the whole problem with intentionally doing a hands-off approach to sales is it's a dogshit customer experience. Oh someone hacked your account and stole your GTApes and cashed them out for Ether and hosed off? Sorry bud, not our blockchain, not our problem!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah but see above: For normal people, a trustless system is BAD. People WANT trust. They want to trust that their property is safe in the hands of someone who will get it back if it's stolen, using a system of rules, laws, and courts that tries to figure out if they authorized the transfer or not. Obviously that system is imperfect, but it sure is better than your property being as safe as your ability to keep a cryptographic key secret.

But what if you're doing illegal poo poo and that system of rules, laws, and courts will now say oops hand over the money jackass? Well now you need a blockchain.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

There was actually a big internal push for Bitcoin to be accepted in the RMAH during development, but the execs shot it down.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

EMoney posted:

Hey man, you willing to chip in some money to help preserve the Elon goat rocket statue? It’s an important monument to this revolutionary technology, and the visionaries who made it happen. Let me know, my DMs are open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OneEightHundred posted:

Yeah but see above: For normal people, a trustless system is BAD. People WANT trust. They want to trust that their property is safe in the hands of someone who will get it back if it's stolen, using a system of rules, laws, and courts that tries to figure out if they authorized the transfer or not. Obviously that system is imperfect, but it sure is better than your property being as safe as your ability to keep a cryptographic key secret.

But what if you're doing illegal poo poo and that system of rules, laws, and courts will now say oops hand over the money jackass? Well now you need a blockchain.

The problem being that the Feds have shown multiple times they can and will go after Cryptocurrency if the need arises, blockchain does little to stop the threat of Federal or Government interference.