Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is one of those things where I am leaning on the data... Discipline has a solid 58% in UW while the blade is an abysmal 53%... even notching things up for synergy here and assuming a bunch of people are running it in decks they shouldn't, I think it might be bad

Anyway, notched up an immediate loss to Urza, Prince of Kroog lol, I will probably play out this tomorrow since it feels like a slump right now. This is the second deck where I have an Urza's Command and it never seems positioned to do anything, maybe I will cut that for the Vanguard lol

lmao went fuckin 0-3, regressing to the mean time, also to rub salt in the wound the 3rd loss was to a player running the Powerblade (they also had a Yotian Tactician and Tyrant that probably did more but lmao)

67-43 (60.91%)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I 1/3ed mine today.

Only noticed lethal after the fact (Pyrrhic Blast into Mishra Unearth before combat lets the same creature deal damage twice in a turn, I lost by 3 when I had a Su Chi Cave Guard to swing with...)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Interesting question: what should a card that just says 'make a tapped poqwerstone' cost? 1? 2?

I think it would need to be 1 mana instant that folks would play begrudgingly as a 23rd card. If it was 2 mana 'make a powerstone, draw a card' at instant speed, I think it could justify an include because it touches on powerstones, artifacts entering play, noncreature spells, and drawing a 2nd card, but still tough. You just don't need many powerstones to function in the format really and enough cards make them incidentally that a card that does it as the main function is tough

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I 1/3ed mine today.

Only noticed lethal after the fact (Pyrrhic Blast into Mishra Unearth before combat lets the same creature deal damage twice in a turn, I lost by 3 when I had a Su Chi Cave Guard to swing with...)

These are the kinds of interactions where I wish I could play the deck casually a bit before trying ti on ladder because I just didn't GET that it would work.

I know in principle how all the different BITS of it work, but I didn't put 2 & 2 together until it was too late, and I feel like it's partly because my first two matches were, yet again, horrible flood/screw/colour screw things.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

Interesting question: what should a card that just says 'make a tapped poqwerstone' cost? 1? 2?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

1/3 in quick draft kills my run for the set down to i draft a week again :(

Dangit I was doing pretty OK, but this really goes to show just how different performance is with 1/3 or 0/3 over 2/3, both of today's getting another win would have a: done my dailies and b: got me at least another QD in the bank.

Sigh.

I really enjoy drating but I really, really with there was a way to do it more casually in Bo1.

But on the plus side, monored is good again, and I made diamond for the first time in like a year.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 28, 2022

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

thespaceinvader posted:

1 colorless phyrexian mana.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

thespaceinvader posted:

0 or less I think. I think you’d rather have an ornithopter than a tapped powerstone.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
How much is "draw a card" worth, and why the deuce is Pyrrhic Blast 4CMC?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

RB sac is already really good and if they got a cheap fling effect it would probably push it over the top

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
'Draw a card' is a weak rider on a spell you really only want to win the game with though.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I beat a resolved Platoon Dispenser and resolved Portal to Phyrexia with a low to the ground R/W deck.....one of my greatest accomplishments

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

'draw a card' tacked on to something else is usually worth 1ish, Pyrrhic Blast is a little overcosted for a normal set but this isn't a normal set it's a set where there is a 10/10 common and most decks will have some 6-10-power creatures.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I have to pick the worm here right? I really wanted the serpent.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
^ sorry but yes you do

Haven't posted about drafts in a bit, mostly because I immediately ended up playing them out instead of asking for advice here. Which is a good sign! The format is fun. I'm not doing well, but it is fun, haha

For the record:

Trad Draft - Mono-W

https://www.17lands.com/draft/f14ff68a30824c9ca60bf74f778dc1f3

This one was pretty drat sweet. I think I overrated the Reanimation spells a bit, though. Lost in a super grueling set of matches against a GB opponent where I just couldn't draw into the removal I needed. 2-1

Trad Draft - UB draw 2

https://www.17lands.com/draft/7b9d951ab82243e6aed5556fc7717143

Discussed this in the Discord. I got three Spiders but convinced myself that green wasn't open and that I had to do a "disciplined pivot". Actually, black wasn't really open; I should have stuck to my guns, picked up some just okay green stuff that would have been great sac fodder for the spiders, and coasted on them. As it was, the deck was a bit awkward, and that doesn't cut it when you face Soldiers and UR prowess. My only win was against an opponent who managed to play a GB deck with pretty much all the worst cards in either colors. It was honestly amazing to see the second Fog of War with a Thran Vigil in play. 1-2

Quick Draft - BR sac

https://www.17lands.com/draft/e5b090529b724d7e876d07f6e439a4da

Current one. Not played out. Wasn't sure about the direction at the start, I think I found a good lane to take tho. Seems extremely forcable, which means everybody on QD will play it.

Including the sideboard because I'm open for build suggestions. Could see an argument for second rager or scrapsmith over gigamole

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fritzler posted:

I have to pick the worm here right? I really wanted the serpent.

I'd say they're broadly similar in terms of how useful they are (Wurm is probably a bit better but I'd be perfectly happy first picking either), but you should absolutely first pick the zero colour one over the three colour one.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

^ sorry but yes you do

Very glad I did. Double Gaea's Gift onto Wurmcoil is the only way I beat this Portal to Phyrexia & Howling Mine gamer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ani posted:

0 or less I think. I think you’d rather have an ornithopter than a tapped powerstone.

Yeah I think the floor has to be a 0/1 that makes a stone. Even "draw 1, make a stone" feels pretty bad

I think the floor is basically:

W - target creature gains indestructible, make a stone

U - scry 1, draw 1, make stone

B - target creature gets -1/-1, make a stone

R - 1 damage to any target, make a stone

G - 1/1 dork and stone

1 - 0/1 wall and stone

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

precision posted:

Yeah I think the floor has to be a 0/1 that makes a stone. Even "draw 1, make a stone" feels pretty bad

G - 1/1 dork and stone

1 - 0/1 wall and stone
This seems about right to me, though the U option is a little good - this is Opt that makes a powerstone, which seems like it would be really good as normal Opt is already a perfectly good card.

I think “1 - draw 1, make a stone” is a pretty good card, at least it would be in limited in this set.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

precision posted:

G - 1/1 dork and stone

1 - 0/1 wall and stone

most of these cards are insanely good lmao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ani posted:

This seems about right to me, though the U option is a little good - this is Opt that makes a powerstone, which seems like it would be really good as normal Opt is already a perfectly good card.

I think “1 - draw 1, make a stone” is a pretty good card, at least it would be in limited in this set.

"Draw 1 make a powerstone" for 1 would literally define the constructed format.

Let alone if you had a full cycle of 1-mana ways to create powerstones and could pretty reliably be dropping a 6-mana artifact on turn 3.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lone Goat posted:

most of these cards are insanely good lmao

:shrug:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

studio mujahideen posted:

ive never understood choosing sealed over draft for a competitive event. just seems miserable. imagine running into that deck

Good News! They announced Arena Open for the weekend of Dec 17/18 is going to be (phantom) Cube Draft for both Day 1 and 2.

Also, the Cube Contents have been announced and it includes a bunch of cards that aren't currently on Arena like Fiery Impulse and Courser of Kruphix, and some other cards that don't actually exist yet like Foundry Groundbreaker and Lonely End (probably not-yet announced BRO Alchemy cards?)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

There's an explorer anthology coming out at the same time as bro alc, so those first two are probably in it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Thranguy posted:

There's an explorer anthology coming out at the same time as bro alc, so those first two are probably in it.

Yeah that makes sense. There's also Mutavault, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Reflection Mage, Satyr Wayfinder in the cube.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah that makes sense. There's also Mutavault, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Reflection Mage, Satyr Wayfinder in the cube.

Lets loving go, hell yeah

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

wei posted:

Saw this on Jason's stream, glad you got the 4-0. Good luck, get that $!

Bombed out 0-2 sadly. pretty mediocre deck that drew really badly

https://www.17lands.com/draft/a09e7e0a4c5148baae1b7a6e401c8577

theres 2 egregious misplays as well, a misclick and a brain dead attack but i dont think either one changed much

draft was very hard as expected, felt like i got boxed into a bad color combination in GW. starting in white and trying to use it as a main color also felt very bad

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Time posted:

Went 3-1 day 2. Rip

3-1 still got you into the next draft

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Powerstones add a little less than 1 mana to the cost, but I don't think it should cost less than 2, certainly not a full cycle. You could maybe do just a powerstone for G, but the other colours would have to be 1C for powerstone + trinket effect

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

babypolis posted:

3-1 still got you into the next draft

Oh sorry, to be clear I immediately lost in that draft and didn’t have a loss to give because I wasn’t 4-0 in draft 1. I think I got a shitload of gems and that’s it.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I got Sundering Titaned down to 2 lands but managed to stay alive by chump blocking until I could Kayla's Command for lethal

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
stole this deck from crokeyz, tweaked the numbers and added paradox engine, and let me tell you its an absolute *blast*

drawing all the cards, trivially managing infinite mana with a single amber or drum, its just wonderful

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Event #17

https://www.17lands.com/draft/5519205d2bee4737a20ccf91479d33a3

If I had first picked Junkyard Genius I would have had two of them and it would have made this draft a bit easier lol

As it stands I think it might be worth splashing for?

I'm probably going to take it slow in playing this one out, I will probably start doing more standard for dailies

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Good News! They announced Arena Open for the weekend of Dec 17/18 is going to be (phantom) Cube Draft for both Day 1 and 2.

Also, the Cube Contents have been announced and it includes a bunch of cards that aren't currently on Arena like Fiery Impulse and Courser of Kruphix, and some other cards that don't actually exist yet like Foundry Groundbreaker and Lonely End (probably not-yet announced BRO Alchemy cards?)

hell yes that owns

Kashuno posted:

RB sac is already really good and if they got a cheap fling effect it would probably push it over the top

yeah pyrrhic blast basically has to take the hit and be worse here because if it was fairly costed in this set specifically it would be insane

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #17

https://www.17lands.com/draft/5519205d2bee4737a20ccf91479d33a3

If I had first picked Junkyard Genius I would have had two of them and it would have made this draft a bit easier lol

As it stands I think it might be worth splashing for?

I'm probably going to take it slow in playing this one out, I will probably start doing more standard for dailies

Junkyard genius definitely worth splashing for. Card has performed insanely well for me

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I made Mythic
I did it with my chants deck
I think I'm tuned to win the mirror
Best of one: no rematch, man.

I made Mythic
Weaving Hallowed Haunts with Harmony
Set this trip to exile, here?
Why not spend it with a friend... or three?

Now a word 'bout Michiko
Can't forget 'bout Michiko
Yeah it's a two drop you play on turn seven and it needs a things to be going right for it to do work, but maybe a 15/15 lifelink coming up the road is just the permission that some people need to hit the conceded button, you know?

Eikre fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 29, 2022

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

i did the draft on my phone unfortunately so no 17lands but any thoughts on what ive ended up with? i'm not sure if i should keep the sprite as a potential endgame, or swap in something else and hope to get it close enough that strongbulls + the few prototypes can clear it out by the time i run out of gas. i also think the blast runner probably wants to go because while the deck has some good sac options it isnt actually aggro enough to make use of it, but that could be me undervaluing it outside of a low and fast aggro curve?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

quite stretched out posted:

i did the draft on my phone unfortunately so no 17lands but any thoughts on what ive ended up with? i'm not sure if i should keep the sprite as a potential endgame, or swap in something else and hope to get it close enough that strongbulls + the few prototypes can clear it out by the time i run out of gas. i also think the blast runner probably wants to go because while the deck has some good sac options it isnt actually aggro enough to make use of it, but that could be me undervaluing it outside of a low and fast aggro curve?

You have hardly any 2 drops, this deck is going to get run over. I would play straight RB, get those expensive artifact creatures out and put in all the 2 drops you've left in the board. Would even drop a couple strong bulls cuz you dont have much to sac to them anyway

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah do not play three colors with *counts* exactly zero fixing. Thraxodemon and Roc Hunter are perfectly fine, play those. With 3 bulls, I'm into Sibling Rivalry. Goliath and Boulderbranch can also be replaced by Gigamole and...dunno, Skullflayer? Or Butcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i appreciate the advice but i dont think it matters really when i come up against one flood out match and then someone who managed to draft at least 4x of the guy who gets +1/+1 at the start of your upkeep if you have a full graveyard

e: this sounds dismissive but i didnt intend it to be. it definitely reinforces what i have come to understand about the format from listening to podcasts etc, which is DMU was harder to pick a line but easier to deckbuild in, but this set is easier to think you have a deck while youre drafting only to struggle building a deck out of the pile you end up with

e2: i think because deckbuilding is harder more casual drafters like myself are dropping off faster, or at any rate its taking a lot longer to fill tables generally

quite stretched out fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 29, 2022