Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't think I watched any Clev starts, what was his problem? I remember when Montgomery came back from TJ he wasn't finishing his breaking balls at all, and you could see it clearly when you watched him but he just looked like rear end f you scouted the line.

He lost 1.5 MPH off his fastball last year, so it's an 8 million dollar bet that'll come back with a full offseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Shine posted:

Cartoony graphics aside, Super Mega Baseball 3 feels hella realistic to me because the last baseball game I played in depth was Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball, where Luis Sojo could bunt his way to first and steal home a few pitches later.

This reminded me of a game I had on Genesis, MLBPA Baseball ‘94. Any time the bases were loaded, you could bunt the ball directly between the pitcher and catcher, no one would go field it and you could run everyone around the bases.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I started playing an elimination tournament, bumping Ego up every time I won a game and settled on 40 as the point where I'm losing close games, but it's because of mistakes I know are my fault.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1597254884751183872

Get Correa too lol

I feel like if he was going back to the Astros the deal would've been done by now but since Jim Crane has gone full Howard Hughes who knows

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Its fine if he leaves. Astros need 1B & DH more than anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I'm fine with it too, especially for what he's asking. In '19 I was dreading losing Cole but then I saw the deal he signed with NYY and I was like, lol, y'all can have him for that.

Winter meetings are like in 2 weeks, are the Astros just going to not have a GM for that

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

MrMidnight posted:

Its fine if he leaves. Astros need 1B & DH more than anything.

Are we really just going to go forward with Yordan as the every day LF? I don't like that at all, especially for a guy who's had knee problems at his age

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think they're waiting to see what happens with Brantley, because a "platoon" of them swapping DH/LF would be fine

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i would like for michael brantley to stay in houston :pray:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1597254884751183872

Get Correa too lol

I feel like if he was going back to the Astros the deal would've been done by now but since Jim Crane has gone full Howard Hughes who knows

It would be so stupid for the Yankees (or the Mets) to sign him but if they lose Judge he would be a perfect epic loving moronic signing to pair with it just like Cano and Ellsbury.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Classic moronic signing of this year’s Cy Young winner

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dude is 40 loving years old and pitched like poo poo in the playoffs. No thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I suppose if you remove all context from that statement it would seem silly. But then you add in the context and it makes sense.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Look how it worked out for the Mariners!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Robbie was fine last year and is probably the #4 in 23, no issues with that signing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Robbie was fine last year and is probably the #4 in 23, no issues with that signing.

He's a 31 yo on a five year deal that is still less than what JV is asking for 3. Also, if my teams signs the cy young winner and two years later he's an end-of-rotation guy, I'm not happy. But also zero problems with Robbie Ray on my end.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
That’s reading a lot into ‘Cy Young Winner’ that was never there, IMO.

He pitched like I expected him to. Got a little less lucky, got a little worse with his location and lost some consistency on his slider compared to 21 but broadly that’s the guy I thought they were signing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If I was paying robbie ray 23 million to pitch like a no 4 starter and give up season killing 900 foot homers in the playoffs I wouldn't be happy but thats just me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

That’s reading a lot into ‘Cy Young Winner’ that was never there, IMO.

Right, which is why it's dumb to frame it just in terms of "Cy Young winner". Lots of one year wonders have won the cy young. RA Dickey won the Cy Young.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

mcmagic posted:

If I was paying robbie ray 23 million to pitch like a no 4 starter and give up season killing 900 foot homers in the playoffs I wouldn't be happy but thats just me.

He killed the season the same way Steve Bartman killed the Cubs' season. There was two full games left that the Mariners had to lose for their season to end after it, and he even pitched a scoreless 2/3rds of an inning in the 3rd game. Like I'm not that happy that he's the Mariners #4 on that contract but a league average innings eater is pretty drat valuable, especially when two of the Mariners top 4 are young guys who may not have a season's endurance.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mcmagic posted:

Maybe don't put a starter in to throw meatballs to the #3 in MVP voting?

maybe that's just me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

maybe that's just me.

Maybe don't pay a guy throwing meatballs 23 million. But Robbie Ray has always sucked and given up a million homers other than that one fluke season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pungry posted:

He killed the season the same way Steve Bartman killed the Cubs' season. There was two full games left that the Mariners had to lose for their season to end after it, and he even pitched a scoreless 2/3rds of an inning in the 3rd game. Like I'm not that happy that he's the Mariners #4 on that contract but a league average innings eater is pretty drat valuable, especially when two of the Mariners top 4 are young guys who may not have a season's endurance.

That walkoff was a back breaker. Series was over the second Yordan's bat touched the ball. It is a tribute to the Ms that they didn't just roll over and die after that, but everyone knew that was the series.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The favorites won, no reason to get bent out of shape about a very good team beating a worse one.

As far as pitching goes I’m a lot more concerned about Marco/Flexen than Ray. Neither should be in the rotation if the Mariners are serious about contention.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

zoux posted:

That walkoff was a back breaker. Series was over the second Yordan's bat touched the ball. It is a tribute to the Ms that they didn't just roll over and die after that, but everyone knew that was the series.

That's stupid revisionist history. The Mariners were up going into the bottom of the 6th in game 2 and we all remember the endless 18 inning struggle of game 3. There's zero reason to think the Mariners couldn't have come back and won that series after game 1. If that had happened, Alvarez's home run would've been forgotten like the Hal Smith home run in game 7 of the 1960 World Series. Smith's home run was the most clutch home run ever hit going by championship win probability added but is forgotten because Bill Mazeroski hit a walkoff in the 9th to win it for the Pirates.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Robbie Ray got fat and then ditched his mechanics the Jays had him using cause he wasn't in good enough shape to repeat them consistently when he pitched like poo poo to start the year.

He was definitely lucky in 2021, but by midseason in Seattle he was a completely different pitcher than he was last year (throwing a sinker, striking out way less guys, throwing not nearly as hard.) His HR rate didn't spike, he just had more people on base and didn't have the same pitch mix to get himself out of trouble.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

And not actually like fat, he just was a lot bigger than last season after an insane workout regimen all offseason and it hosed his mechanics.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I don't see how you can see the Robbie Ray signing as anything but a failure so far. Hopefully he pitches better this year!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Some Numbers posted:

maybe that's just me.

Throwing a meatball worked on the first pitch. Not the second though

It's pretty incredible that Ray threw that fastball, saw Yordan swing out of his shoes at it, then decided to throw the exact same pitch to the exact same location

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1597275215796371456

Well Thomas and Sandberg are already 100% hard no's on the PED guys.

Fred McGriff gonna get elected though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McGriff played with both Chipper and Maddux right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crime Dog's gonna get in.

McGriff to the Braves was like the first Big Trade that I was aware of.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

McGriff played with both Chipper and Maddux right?

Yes.

And Beeston loved him even if he traded him.

Also played on the Cubs when Sandberg had just retired a year or two before.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The baseball hall of fame is fraudulent as long as Bonds isn't in

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zoux posted:

Crime Dog's gonna get in.

McGriff to the Braves was like the first Big Trade that I was aware of.
The press box catching fire that day was so loving rad

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The press box catching fire that day was so loving rad

what a day that was

I loved McGriff so much, one of the really iconic batting stances of his era

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The 90s were an era of iconic batting stances.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1597275215796371456

Well Thomas and Sandberg are already 100% hard no's on the PED guys.

Fred McGriff gonna get elected though.
Feels like putting Jack Morris on these committees is almost too obvious. They’re gloating about having control over their little club, and if you’re not cool with them then gently caress you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1597302776911970304

gently caress I really wanted Abreu to sign with the Astros

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1597305310644908032

Ah thank god it's real

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Awesome news. Huge upgrade over Yuli.