Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

What is the preferred way to deal with Ragers if they manage to get up close, particularly the armoured variety? Seems like I can't stagger them, can't block them for more than a couple of seconds, can't even effectively dodge them with way they slide around. It usually feels like the only thing I can really do is hold block and eat substantial damage while I hope my teammates manage to remove them in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
It's a lot more than 1 damage a hit if your toughness is down at all. I really feel like there shouldn't be any enemy toughness-piercing melee damage if your toughness is over say 50%, and even below that threshold it should be reduced. I'm not really interested in going beyond hazard 3 due to the combination of melee damage bleedthrough and the game spawning enemies behind you midswing

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

What is the preferred way to deal with Ragers if they manage to get up close, particularly the armoured variety? Seems like I can't stagger them, can't block them for more than a couple of seconds, can't even effectively dodge them with way they slide around. It usually feels like the only thing I can really do is hold block and eat substantial damage while I hope my teammates manage to remove them in time.

If you have a weapon with high mobility (provided that’s doing what I think it is) you can block their initial strike and then dodge back a couple times. Once they’re in their attack string they can’t seem to move forward the best, only a couple feet or so. Drop back and blast them.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I keep seeing people say "no temp HP" but honestly the chip damage is that temp HP, it's just that you don't get absolute zero damage. At least through level 3 it's what, 1 damage from a hit from normal enemies? With 100 health that's still 100 hits if you keep your toughness topped off. Yeah that's obviously reductive and it will scale differently at higher levels, but it's functionally very similar, especially when you start boosting your total health.

Doesn't the chip damage scale up as your toughness drops? I'm not good enough to watch it while I'm fighting. Getting temp hp just seems way easier than getting toughness, but maybe I'm just still bad.

Also the toughness mechanic makes it real easy to get worn down over time because even if you've got your damage shield, it isn't really fully shielding you and you will get ground down in higher levels with less frequent heals. In vermintide enemies HAVE to get through your temp hp to kill you, they can't sneak around to get to your 1 "real" HP through your 100 temp HP

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 28, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Toughness:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Perestroika posted:

Dodge backwards if possible and kill them asap.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Perestroika posted:

I'm maining Zealot so I press the F button and start clicking till I stop taking damage.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Perestroika posted:

Depends on class.

Psyker can either brain burst from a distance or one-shot with a charged force sword attack or stunlock with chain lightning.

Zealot can nearly one shot with charged chainsword or fully one shot with charged chain axe or evis. You can also pop them easily from range with a bolter

Sharpshooter can pop them with bolter/plasma/chainssword

Ogryn can fully knock them out of combos and stunlock them with melee special attacks (the slap, jab, and uppercut from the pipe, shovel, and knife respectively), shield bashes, and their charge attack.

Not all of these are a end all solution, doubly so if they are mixed in with hordes and such making charged attacks difficult. In a horde it's got to be kind of a team effort of tying them up and picking off. If you're the target sometimes you just got to block and hope your buddies got your back.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

One of the Veterans voice actors playing with randos... hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDXYHE22-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yagz5AszfM

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This is the most crash-prone game I've played since... uh I guess Vermintide 2.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
One thing I found out yesterday is that the veteran's signature shovel has a special attack with truly ridiculous stagger, able to chain stun even beserkers, maulers and crushers with ease. The power sword is awesome but I'm fully expecting it to get nerfed so trying to stay sharp with my combat shovel. It's a really versatile weapon! Wide swings on heavy attacks, solid light attack string, push attack is that classic overhead onto the head for a one-shot on chaff, and the special is amazing at staggering fools

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

DeathSandwich posted:

The rumbler is my favorite ogryn gun at the moment. It's probably not as mechanically good as the stubber (which still has significant issues, it's got passible midrange but it's poo poo against long range and ogryns of all flavors), but there's nothing quite as satisfying as the grenade crunching off of armor / bones / faces, tumbling through the air for a second, and then detonating. Making the detonation straight impact would probably be more useful, but the crunch and the tumble for a beat is way more visually satisfying and funnier. It also lays out ogryn sized enemies and gives people time to beat on its rear end.

Doesn't kill Poxbursters in one gutshot (and maybe even on a headshot, but it's not like they give you time to aim down sights).

That's a big issue since you have gently caress else to deal with those. Well, grenades I guess. But there's more poxbustahs than you have grenades.

Orv posted:

My experience with the Rumbler is also that it’s extremely stat dependent. Early ones are basically useless. A tricked out purple one will wreck shop.

Ah, that could be it tho.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

rideANDxORdie posted:

One thing I found out yesterday is that the veteran's signature shovel has a special attack with truly ridiculous stagger, able to chain stun even beserkers, maulers and crushers with ease. The power sword is awesome but I'm fully expecting it to get nerfed so trying to stay sharp with my combat shovel. It's a really versatile weapon! Wide swings on heavy attacks, solid light attack string, push attack is that classic overhead onto the head for a one-shot on chaff, and the special is amazing at staggering fools

Interesting, might need to give it another whirl later.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Internet Explorer posted:

At least it gives you a chance to kill them when they spawn right ontop of you, lol

Had a very rude one today. Popped out of a monster closet right next to me and immediately blew up. No ticking, no nothing. Just "HiGETFUUUUCKED"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm 10000% not sold on the Heavy Stubber. In my experience it starts firing too slow, it's best at killing things at a range Ogryn is already effective at, and the slow ready time makes it terrible at on-demand special deleting.

Team Rumbler.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I hope they increase the noise of enemy footsteps. Wayyyyy too many times mobs just snuck up and shanked me from behind.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mesadoram posted:

I hope they increase the noise of enemy footsteps. Wayyyyy too many times mobs just snuck up and shanked me from behind.
Also enemies have been proven to literally teleport into existence behind you. Hoping that and enemies being able to dip into and out of monster closets has a second look because it feels bad to get a bead on a trapper/bomber and they just run off into the Among Us vents.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Pierson posted:

Also enemies have been proven to literally teleport into existence behind you. Hoping that and enemies being able to dip into and out of monster closets has a second look because it feels bad to get a bead on a trapper/bomber and they just run off into the Among Us vents.

The comments say there is a drop down ledge above that spot. If there's literally no way for an enemy to get there without teleporting, I'd believe it, but idk if I'm convinced. Someone confirming there's no drop down above them would be enough to convince me. The monster closet shenanigans are clearly observable and some bullshit, though, for sure.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm 10000% not sold on the Heavy Stubber. In my experience it starts firing too slow, it's best at killing things at a range Ogryn is already effective at, and the slow ready time makes it terrible at on-demand special deleting.

Team Rumbler.

Yeah, I've been using the Heavy Stubber and I have to say it's been a bit disappointing for me. As you say, it takes forever to get going, and it's useless at long range. It is fun to unload into an oncoming horde, but hordes are already covered by my melee weapon, so the Stubber doesn't add much in that regard.

Maybe I should try something else, though I'm not sure what.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

big cummers ONLY posted:

The comments say there is a drop down ledge above that spot. If there's literally no way for an enemy to get there without teleporting, I'd believe it, but idk if I'm convinced. Someone confirming there's no drop down above them would be enough to convince me. The monster closet shenanigans are clearly observable and some bullshit, though, for sure.

You can see there's no ledge on that side of the corridor at the start of the video. I've had this stuff happen to me too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Team Rumbler.

The Stubber causes massive amounts of suppression and stagger at whatever you're firing at, so you can basically stop an entire firing line of gunners, shotgunners, flamers, and gun grunts from firing while you and your team picks them apart.
It's probably one of the best high-difficulty weapons for Ogryn imo.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

The Stubber causes massive amounts of suppression and stagger at whatever you're firing at, so you can basically stop an entire firing line of gunners, shotgunners, flamers, and gun grunts from firing while you and your team picks them apart.
It's probably one of the best high-difficulty weapons for Ogryn imo.

Maybe if I have a regular group of four I'll give it another go, but anything that relies on my team to be competent is a big no for me right now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

trying to keep my warp charges at max for 5 minutes straight is going to drive me to madness which seems thematically appropriate for the psyker

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Not a fan of toughness being armor myself, mostly since at higher difficulty levels the occasional back attack goes from doing 2-3 chip damage to suddenly taking out 10ish HP and getting your toughness to 50% or less. Toughness is ranged armor and nothing else, and not even close to a replacement for temp HP.

If the game didnt have silent, teleporting melee enemies that skate 15+ meters to hit you in the back it would be worth more, but as it stands its nearly impossible to not take damage.

Orv
May 4, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

I watched a poxwalker spawn behind my three teammates with their backs turned on the stairs during the dust disruption mission while you wait for the bridges to rotate. It's a thing.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

How did they gently caress that up when they managed to patch out teleporting enemies in VT2. Oh well I still love them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what's the play for a psyker for hitting the weak point on the back of a beast of nurgle? just plinking it with basic staff shots? seems like trying to dig into it up close with a force sword strike (which would be my druthers) just leads to you getting swatted away by its aoe smash attack on the initial hit before the force strike goes off, which interrupts it, makes you take damage, and in one case gets yourself flung off a cliff to your death

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 28, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For as many weird regressions and questionable design choices as there are, I am seeing probably 1/20th as many gameplay bugs as VT2 on launch. it’s borderline shocking how little jank there is compared to that reference point. Technical issues like crashes/disconnects/performance are there, but I’m seeing a minimum of cases in the moment-to-moment gameplay where something happens that obviously isn’t right. The game feels like it actually works as designed. Fatshark continues to be completely unpredictable in every way

I wrote from my previous beta experience that I had a highly negative impression of the game but would keep an eye on it because of the fatshark chaos factor, and sure enough they surprised me in a good way.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The performance issues are really a bummer because the game goes from smooth as butter, to completely unplayable really quickly, and it's difficult to tell what's happening until you die to something you can't see or someone disconnects and leaves you all shorthanded with an incompetent bot.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

wedgie deliverer posted:

The performance issues are really a bummer because the game goes from smooth as butter, to completely unplayable really quickly, and it's difficult to tell what's happening until you die to something you can't see or someone disconnects and leaves you all shorthanded with an incompetent bot.

My favorite is doing perfectly fine for ten minutes then watching Darktide try to use 5Mbit of my 1Mbit upload for thirty seconds, making everything in the house completely unusable. Then it's back to ~100Kbit upload for another ten minutes. It's not frustrating at all!

Murder Noveau
Jul 25, 2007
Maybe death is a gift.

Kobal2 posted:

Doesn't kill Poxbursters in one gutshot (and maybe even on a headshot, but it's not like they give you time to aim down sights).

That's a big issue since you have gently caress else to deal with those. Well, grenades I guess. But there's more poxbustahs than you have grenades.

Ah, that could be it tho.

Fellow team rumbler here and the stats make a huge difference. Supposedly there is a trait that makes your grenades stick to monstrosities which I still have not seen yet but sounds like it would ideal.
https://darktide.gameslantern.com/weapons/rumbler/lorenz-mk-vi-rumbler

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Psykers are the worst cause of frame issues if they set a whole horde on fire it's pretty hilarious.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm starting to remember the very familiar sensation of "low difficulty missions are a complete snoozefest but a guaranteed cash payout with randos" versus "harder difficulty missions are more fun but earn you essentially no resources if you fail"

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Psykers are the worst cause of frame issues if they set a whole horde on fire it's pretty hilarious.

The Psyker F skill absolutely blows up my machines performance even without soulblaze.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Cowcaster posted:

i'm starting to remember the very familiar sensation of "low difficulty missions are a complete snoozefest but a guaranteed cash payout with randos" versus "harder difficulty missions are more fun but earn you essentially no resources if you fail"

I can't solo queue for 3* missions anymore. There's so many level 5-10's that just blunder on blindly ahead, don't tag enemies, don't know what pushing is, and either abandon teammates that get jumped or get jumped themselves and die four hallways off. :shrug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Exodee posted:

It's absolutely terrible at taking down specials or ranged troops at medium/long range. (though it will supress them I suppose) And there's a lot of those on Heresy+.

Great at clearing hordes though, so if there's ever a class that can carry two ranged weapons it would probably be the best secondary. But I just can't trust pubbies to take down specials fast enough to justify taking it as my only ranged weapon.

The MK2 Braced Autogun is absolutely freakin' nuts at taking down specials, except for Crushers and Maulers. It's phenomenal and IMO the best ranged weapon for Zealot, nothing else feels even remotely close to its overall usefulness against literally everything (except two enemy types, and it's fine against Maulers it just takes a full mag on Difficulty 4+). Every single other ranged weapon comes with significant drawbacks that the MK2 autogun easily sidesteps.

The MK7 one (Agrippina?) is just trash. Bad, awful, terrible. Everything about it is bad and it sucks for everything. I find it borderline unusable. Hard to hit with, absurd recoil, chews through ammo.

The MK4 (Graia) is... okay. It's not nearly as good as the MK2 but it's better than the MK7. However its ammo efficiency is pathetic and one horde on 4*+ will eat up your entire ammo supply.

My biggest problem with the autogun is that the Thunder Hammer is the natural complement to it (to take down crushers) but the Thunder Hammer is trash, and the Eviscerator sucks against Crushers too :(

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 28, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I feel like a bit of a disclaimer is in order for people testing out weapons right now.
The trait "+#% bonus damage to elites" is apparently currently bugged, and does 10x as much as it's supposed to, so +8% becomes +80% etc. Which might skew results a bit.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

I feel like a bit of a disclaimer is in order for people testing out weapons right now.
The trait "+#% bonus damage to elites" is apparently currently bugged, and does 10x as much as it's supposed to, so +8% becomes +80% etc. Which might skew results a bit.

👀

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Murder Noveau posted:

Fellow team rumbler here and the stats make a huge difference. Supposedly there is a trait that makes your grenades stick to monstrosities which I still have not seen yet but sounds like it would ideal.
https://darktide.gameslantern.com/weapons/rumbler/lorenz-mk-vi-rumbler

It exists, I got it when I upgraded my rumbler to gold last night. So my ilevel 489 rumbler has +25% to unarmored and flak enemies, restore 10% toughness on elite kill, and grenades stick to monstrosities. I posted it in the goonintide discord last night.

The shots are already really good against monstrosities, this just makes it even better now. 420 Donk Gun Erry Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

deep dish peat moss posted:

The MK2 Braced Autogun is absolutely freakin' nuts at taking down specials, except for Crushers and Maulers. It's phenomenal and IMO the best ranged weapon for Zealot, nothing else feels even remotely close to its overall usefulness against literally everything (except two enemy types, and it's fine against Maulers it just takes a full mag on Difficulty 4+). Every single other ranged weapon comes with significant drawbacks that the MK2 autogun easily sidesteps.

The MK7 one (Agrippina?) is just trash. Bad, awful, terrible. Everything about it is bad and it sucks for everything. I find it borderline unusable. Hard to hit with, absurd recoil, chews through ammo.

The MK4 (Graia) is... okay. It's not nearly as good as the MK2 but it's better than the MK7. However its ammo efficiency is pathetic and one horde on 4*+ will eat up your entire ammo supply.
That's the actual Braced Autogun version I tried, I swear you're trying to gaslight me here.

But to put money where my mouth is, I've bought a Braced Autogun with high damage and stability and tested it against a bunch of other guns at around 25 meters: (which is quite reasonably short ranged given the typical engagements in this game)
https://i.imgur.com/XBOGzvP.mp4
Against specials it's similar or even worse for the bomber with their smaller hitbox.