Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

organburner posted:

If I want to get into VR on PC, is the index the one to get or are any of the budget options worth a drat?

The Index is somewhat outdated and too expensive these days (and also possibly being replaced next year depending how Valve's Deckard project is going), but if you want the most accurate tracking it's still the only one using external sensors. If you just want in for the lowest cost, a Quest or Pico Neo 4 will work perfectly fine for just PC stuff. They both will connect to a PC using any decent USB-C cable and can also connect wirelessly if your home internet is decent. The exception is if you're going to solely be doing cockpit stuff like flight sims or sim racing in which case you should grab the HP Reverb G2 when it goes on one of its frequent sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

risk of rain 2 VR is the best VR shooter to date imo, to just get in a game and start shooting

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

organburner posted:

If I want to get into VR on PC, is the index the one to get or are any of the budget options worth a drat?

Quest 2 via Airlink. End of.

forest spirit posted:

risk of rain 2 VR is the best VR shooter to date imo, to just get in a game and start shooting

Thanks, I love recommendations like this. Gonna check it out.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

organburner posted:

Quest 2 over Virtual Desktop or Valve Index are the go tos.

My personal preference is the Q2 since you can use airlink or virtual desktop to play PCVR wirelessly. The Index is still quite good but it is getting outdated.

I don't think anyone has a headset that beats the Index in best all around yet, right? Maybe the Aero but that's like $2k all in IIRC.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Hmm probably not gonna go for the Quest just because Meta. Maybe that's :tinfoil: of me, but I don't want meta getting any of my money if I can help it.

Guess I'll wait a bit and see how the market evolves.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

organburner posted:

Hmm probably not gonna go for the Quest just because Meta. Maybe that's :tinfoil: of me, but I don't want meta getting any of my money if I can help it.

Guess I'll wait a bit and see how the market evolves.

Meta is taking a huge loss on Quest 2. To the tune of $Billions.

The only ethical thing to do is buy a Quest!

100% understand not wanting to give Meta your info though. I ended up getting an Index first for the same reason, but experienced wireless VR for FPS games and whelp.

Edit: Depending where you live the Pico Neo 4 is basically a Quest 2 clone, but that one your replacing Zuckerberg with another Zuckerlike.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 28, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can also probably find Quests in thrift stores and second hand very easily because everyone who bought one during the peak covid times has been getting rid of them over the last year as VR's become increasingly uncool, the novelty's worn off and the games have dried up.

Just make sure to clean it first.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

njsykora posted:

You can also probably find Quests in thrift stores and second hand very easily because everyone who bought one during the peak covid times has been getting rid of them over the last year as VR's become increasingly uncool, the novelty's worn off and the games have dried up.

Just make sure to clean it first.

They're still going for around $250-300 on Ebay second hand, so not super likely to hit thrift stores.

The glut I was expecting post covid lockdowns hasn't happened yet, likely people just shoving them in a closet to play later at this point, that or people actually are playing them still.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Red Matter 2 is the daily deal in the Oculus store, 40% off.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Bondematt posted:

Meta is taking a huge loss on Quest 2. To the tune of $Billions.

Not any more. Thats why they increased the price.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

njsykora posted:

If a game supports it, almost none do. It's also still way jankier than I'm willing to put up with so I don't see much reason to use it over just having a controller.

Ah well, I was hoping it was going alright and I could strap my controllers to my feet and have full body VR on the cheap.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

MikusR posted:

Not any more. Thats why they increased the price.

Did they confirm if they are making a profit at $400? I thought it just slowed the hemorrhaging.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bondematt posted:

I thought it just slowed the hemorrhaging.

Totally this.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Bondematt posted:

Did they confirm if they are making a profit at $400? I thought it just slowed the hemorrhaging.

The losses are from this stuff: https://tech.fb.com/ar-vr/2022/10/meta-research-reality-labs-connect-2022/
https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-research-to-present-focal-surface-display-discovery-at-siggraph/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I highly doubt they're making any profit at all on each Quest even at $400 MSRP.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

njsykora posted:

If a game supports it, almost none do. It's also still way jankier than I'm willing to put up with so I don't see much reason to use it over just having a controller.

ughhhh posted:

How is quests hand tracking progressing? Is it possible to use it in steam VR over airlink now?

To be clear on this - no it can’t be used over airlink. VRChat have recently implemented hand tracking on the quest native version and have stated its not currently possible to use on desktop, unfortunately.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

mutata posted:

I highly doubt they're making any profit at all on each Quest even at $400 MSRP.

In pure BoM, I think they are making a profit. No part is especially high tech, really. But they are hemorrhaging money not because selling hardware, but all the mid/long term research, the content in oculus tv, the acquisitions, FB Horizon, the devs who make the software stack, and all that.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Every part of a Quest 2 is ancient at this point in consumer electronic component terms. It's not hard to believe they're at least breaking even on the hardware.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Turin Turambar posted:

In pure BoM, I think they are making a profit. No part is especially high tech, really. But they are hemorrhaging money not because selling hardware, but all the mid/long term research, the content in oculus tv, the acquisitions, FB Horizon, the devs who make the software stack, and all that.

If anything I think their margin isn't the headset but the optional straps which are pretty much required.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bill of materials is only one factor. They are for sure charging above BoM. But there's a cost-per-unit that goes well beyond just cost of raw components. It's marketing, R&D, assembly, packaging, shipping, storage, licensing, inspections, tariffs, taxes, QA; and on the other side there's costs associated with RMAs, returns, support, etc. The total cost per Quest 2 device is gonna be much higher than what they're selling it for.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Manager Hoyden posted:

Every part of a Quest 2 is ancient at this point in consumer electronic component terms. It's not hard to believe they're at least breaking even on the hardware.

So I've been talking with another headset mfg and you'd be honestly surprised I think.

The margins are rough. They MIGHT break even at this point but I doubt it.

mutata posted:

Bill of materials is only one factor. They are for sure charging above BoM. But there's a cost-per-unit that goes well beyond just cost of raw components. It's marketing, R&D, assembly, packaging, shipping, storage, licensing, inspections, tariffs, taxes, QA; and on the other side there's costs associated with RMAs, returns, support, etc. The total cost per Quest 2 device is gonna be much higher than what they're selling it for.

All of this.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Turin Turambar posted:

Red Matter 2 is the daily deal in the Oculus store, 40% off.

is it good though?

I've already learned to not trust Meta store ratings because they've somehow made Steam user reviews look like Oscar nominations in comparison.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Wheezle posted:

To be clear on this - no it can’t be used over airlink. VRChat have recently implemented hand tracking on the quest native version and have stated its not currently possible to use on desktop, unfortunately.

Yhea it was when I tried out hand tracking in quest native vrchat that I wanted to try out fbt on the PC client. I found an app called owotrack that allows you use your phone as a tracker on PC VR which is cool, but I only have one phone so...

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

is it good though?

I've already learned to not trust Meta store ratings because they've somehow made Steam user reviews look like Oscar nominations in comparison.

Probably still too expensive for the experience you get. Very disappointed in the game overall

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Sony's full body tracking solution coming to VRChat.

https://twitter.com/VRChat/status/1597428720687779840

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Really hoping that PSVR2 will work as a PCVR headset, through 3rd party means maybe.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ouch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kazy posted:

Sony's full body tracking solution coming to VRChat.

https://twitter.com/VRChat/status/1597428720687779840

It's a neat product, but I want to know what the actual tracking method is and I can't find anything going into detail on them. Because if those are just gyroscopes making guesswork, you're gonna need to recalibrate them a LOT for full-body VR. Excellent for desktop VTubing where the user's stationary and not moving much I expect, as is their main usecase it seems, but for a couple of hours of VR as full-body tracking?... Ehhh, probably gonna get a tad drifty after a while and need you to recalibrate regularly depending on what the tracking method actually is (If you've played on PSVR, the controllers rotating and sometimes even player position drifting is what comes to mind here).

I'm hoping it's completely solid, but I'm a little hesitant on it til we see some VRChat users get their hands on these because that will absolutely stress-test the hell out of them.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

ughhhh posted:

Yhea it was when I tried out hand tracking in quest native vrchat that I wanted to try out fbt on the PC client. I found an app called owotrack that allows you use your phone as a tracker on PC VR which is cool, but I only have one phone so...

hand tracking does work in vrchat over PCVR with quest 2 but only through virtual desktop

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apropos of nothing, I went back to Rez on the Quest today and there’s just something about the stage one music that feels really unusual compared to the other iterations of the game. Like it’s either mixed differently, or .. I can’t even begin to articulate it, actually. It’s not really evident util the first boss battle. I vividly remember the mix sounding vastly different when I played it on DC and Xbox. I’m really trying to put my finger on it, and maybe it’s something about listening to it over headphones on the Quest vs wide audio or TV sound on the consoles. Not sure, but it’s really bothering me today for some reason and I’ve decided to make it everyone’s problem :lol:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Since the Meta store sale is ending today, gonna grab...

-Walkabout Mini Golf
-Premium Bowling
-Vader Immortal
-In Death Unchained, maybe?

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

some kinda jackal posted:

Apropos of nothing, I went back to Rez on the Quest today and there’s just something about the stage one music that feels really unusual compared to the other iterations of the game. Like it’s either mixed differently, or .. I can’t even begin to articulate it, actually. It’s not really evident util the first boss battle. I vividly remember the mix sounding vastly different when I played it on DC and Xbox. I’m really trying to put my finger on it, and maybe it’s something about listening to it over headphones on the Quest vs wide audio or TV sound on the consoles. Not sure, but it’s really bothering me today for some reason and I’ve decided to make it everyone’s problem :lol:

Maybe they had to change a few samples out for reasons.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

is it good though?

Just to offer another perspective, i thought it was decent.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

hand tracking does work in vrchat over PCVR with quest 2 but only through virtual desktop

All that does is emulate Oculus controllers, and not very well. You don't get individual finger movement.

They're implementing tracking over OSC so you'll be able to feed in data from external apps, which would make it theoretically possible to build skeletal hand tracking passthrough into the streamer apps. There's a build for ALVR that does something similar for face tracking on the Quest Pro to get it into VRChat.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Handsome Ralph posted:

Since the Meta store sale is ending today, gonna grab...

-Walkabout Mini Golf
-Premium Bowling
-Vader Immortal
-In Death Unchained, maybe?

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3420508614708029/

I really like this for a bowling game.
Devs are good. Lots of fun content. Has multiple modes. Also has "pro modes" so you can not have wacky ball stuff. Or you can play with wacky ball stuff.

Either way, Worth it.

EDIT: Also aware its not on sale. Don't care. Worth it.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 29, 2022

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

njsykora posted:

The exception is if you're going to solely be doing cockpit stuff like flight sims or sim racing in which case you should grab the HP Reverb G2 when it goes on one of its frequent sales.

Speaking of...

I said come in! posted:

The HP Reverb G2 is 50% off right now, putting it at $300. This is my VR headset, and I love it. Complete game changer for gaming. If you've been on the fence about getting a VR headset, I highly recommend pulling the trigger on this https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

$300 for the HP Reverb 2 is tempting af. But i’m reading amazon reviews and a lot of people say they’ve had problems with it.

Pretty happy with my Quest 2, except the controller drift issue.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ChocNitty posted:

$300 for the HP Reverb 2 is tempting af. But i’m reading amazon reviews and a lot of people say they’ve had problems with it.

Pretty happy with my Quest 2, except the controller drift issue.

I only had two problems
1) Tethered headsets are not the future and it really bothered me.
2) You'll lose tracking on the controllers with big gestures, sometimes.

But the clarity is really great and is perfect for flying/driving sims.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I only had two problems
1) Tethered headsets are not the future and it really bothered me.
2) You'll lose tracking on the controllers with big gestures, sometimes.

But the clarity is really great and is perfect for flying/driving sims.

How does the reverb compare to the rift s for clarity? It’s probably not worth getting one for me unless it’s a huge upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MarcusSA posted:

How does the reverb compare to the rift s for clarity? It’s probably not worth getting one for me unless it’s a huge upgrade.

Well it has >3 times the resolution per eye, so relatively a lot. The lenses they use are theoretically co-developed with valve but can be a bit finnicky with focus so that's less clear.