Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

drat i really wanted to annoy White Sox fans. I guess we get to see if Mash Mervis is for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hopefully those dominoes start falling and Josh Bell to the Jays is one.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

If there's one MLB exec who's definitely qualified to decide who the best players are, it's Arte Moreno

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bobby N is saying it's a 3-year deal. We love our aged Cuban first basemen folks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1597305097104805888

Meh, I wanted Abreu but this would be through his age 39 season.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is fine because the Cubs are going to sign Trea Turner.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

Starting to think that all the free agents will just go to Houston or LA and we won't get anyone.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Very happy with the Abreu signing.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Kirios posted:

Same. I hope Yuli decides to retire instead of having some weak years somewhere else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol, Baseball Savant dropped an article two hours ago about how Abreu is the second best FA bat available.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The Astros signed Jose Abreu.

We love all Jose's who never cheated

Go Astros 2022 world series champions.

God bless.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Popete posted:

This is fine because the Cubs Mariners are going to sign Trea Turner.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Kirios posted:

MODS?!??!?!?!

I just checked with the homies and this signing is: not cool, very bad, absolutely not chill. Why yes, we do hate the Astros, if you must know

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1597314535328985088

3/60 is fine

hmmm still a little soft 7-9

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i will miss yuli but abreu is objectively a huge upgrade

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

It will be Brantley instead of Myers

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How much more money is Verlander going to get than Rodon and how loving clueless is the team that signs him over Rodon?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

How much more money is Verlander going to get than Rodon and how loving clueless is the team that signs him over Rodon?

IDK man he's your GM

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Why is anyone thinking the Dodgers won't just re-sign trea?

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

zoux posted:

gently caress I really wanted Abreu to sign with the Astros

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1597305310644908032

Ah thank god it's real

MrMidnight posted:

Awesome news. Huge upgrade over Yuli.

Wow. Wasn't expecting us to actually get him...

Both Sledmud and La Piña are free agents, IIRC... if we don't bring Diaz back to be the utility fill-in guy, couldn't Yuli do that? He's played a lot of 1B and 3B, could probably fill in at 2B as well, anything but SS.

IOW, I love this Jose Abreu signing, but hope we can retain Yuli as our utility infielder.

As Sab said, I hope we can bring back Brantley as well, the outfield felt a bit emptier without him, although it was great to see Chas McCormick have some moments in the postseason. His (barely) HR against Cole in the ALCS and then ofc his hits and great catch in the WS against his hometown Phillies especially.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thinking of a situation that hasn't happened yet and turning beet red with anger

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

thinking of a situation that hasn't happened yet and turning beet red with anger

Hi. Welcome to the Internet. We hope you have a great time.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Seems to be missing Aaron Judge

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

CF is Chas's home. Meyers has no business in the lineup.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

James Click died for Jake, we should give him a chance

R.D. Mangles posted:

Because they're gonna sign Correa

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

because they didn’t resign Seager and if someone gives Trea $300M+ they might just pass

Having watched him more regularly the past year and a half I have my doubts about Trea long term as well. It feels like he loves to swing and gets significant value from his speed (beating out a fair share of weak contact) so I worry he will fall off hard if and when age saps some foot speed.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 28, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Abreu is a nice signing, now just need Benintendi in left

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

lol he sucks. hopefully you get him.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Aaron Judge in RF IMO

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Aaron Judge in RF IMO

Tough but fair

Would be very happy if we just bring back Uncle Mike and maybe also Vasquez. Verlander feels as good as gone, I've seen people talk about deGrom but lol sure buddy

I guess Pedro Leon could try to slot into the Diaz utility role. Just don't bring back Diaz ffs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If they want to keep Yuli around, and he's willing, he can play at least 3 IF positions.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Isn't Yuli's defensive problem that he can't cover ground anymore? Seems to take him out of the running for filling in at 3B and also reduces his value at 1B with no shift

Gonna miss the insane picks he always makes at 1B though and I expect to see a lot of throws that normally he'd pick end up passing Abreu

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Getting Abreu means Yuli is gone, he ain’t coming back unless he works for free.

JV is also gone because Crane is completely opposed to the terms he’s looking for. I’d be happy to get Uncle Mike back, but that seems like a longshot now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

If they want to keep Yuli around, and he's willing, he can play at least 3 IF positions.

I would absolutely love to see a statue first baseman play second at 39 years old.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Getting Abreu means Yuli is gone, he ain’t coming back unless he works for free.

JV is also gone because Crane is completely opposed to the terms he’s looking for. I’d be happy to get Uncle Mike back, but that seems like a longshot now.

I'm honestly okay with that if they get an outfielder. JV is a GOAT for us but that contact will be hard to swallow. SP is easily our strength.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Kirios posted:

I'm honestly okay with that if they get an outfielder. JV is a GOAT for us but that contact will be hard to swallow. SP is easily our strength.

I love Verlander and he should stay forever. He and Altuve, Bregman, and Yuli should just be given lifetime contracts and get to play here until we lose 100 games a season again because they're old and broken down

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
glad we filled a hole

would prefer to sign Verlander on 2 years but he'll get three from someone and I can't blame Crane for passing on that

I don't believe DeGrom will ever pitch enough innings again to be worth what he's asking but if that's where we put the Verlander money I'll just hope he stops being hurt

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

They're busy digging through dumpsters for soft tossing command guys.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mustached Demon posted:

They're busy digging through dumpsters for soft tossing command guys.

Our current roster is like 30% scrappy utility infielders lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://twitter.com/RobBiertempfel/status/1597307150199836672

Look when you have the chance to get a guy with an ERA over 5 you gotta pull the trigger