Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Obviously this is a dumb scam:

But how is it supposed to work? Do people think that just owning literally any amount of land in Scotland automatically makes you a lord? Or is there some layer to it I'm not seeing?

I don't know but that sounds like a good Crusader Kings challenge. Start off with a $49.95 lordship and rise to rule the British isles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's a funny present, that's basically it.

Technically any landowner in Scotland is a lord/lady.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Tiggum posted:

But how is it supposed to work? Do people think that just owning literally any amount of land in Scotland automatically makes you a lord? Or is there some layer to it I'm not seeing?

I think the ops room youtube did a more indepth ad for it. It's "lord" under some archaic use of the word. It didnt make you an actual member of the nobility, its just a dumb thing for you to put next to your name if you need to feel special was the general vibe i got

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Tiggum posted:

No, it actually works, but only because the legal definition for 'lord' in Scotland is different from pretty much any other of the world that has some regard for feudal tradition. It's a 'title' given to someone who holds land. It just happens to be the same word that's used in the rest of the UK for a real rank of nobility.
I think technically you could say it's an appellation rather than a title, as titles do refer to a real defined territory and not just 'yep, you're in the land registry for a few square feet.'
I'm not even sure it's really lord. I think it's probably laird. And the actual appellation may have gotten anglicized sometime over the past four hundred years, or you may be 'allowed' to use the English version of the original Scottish word.

It's like those certificates for ordination in a fake church that you can buy online. Yes, your 'official' title will be reverend or bishop or whatever. But that doesn't make it real.
Or like buying one of those costume boating hats that says 'captain' on it. Yes, you're the captain, sure.
It's like 'buying a star' which is also something people do, except this star comes with a fake title. You might as well call yourself president of your star since you're never going to go there either.

People who actually try to use these 'titles' and try to get them put in their passport or one plane tickets or hotel reservations are the most petty childish people imaginable.
It's not even fun in a 'thumbing your nose at the concept of nobility' kind of way, since if you're using it like that, that's not at all what you're doing and you're just profiting of a linguistical and cultural misunderstanding between English and Scottish traditions.

So is this a scam? It's a great deal for people who bought an old field and are leasing it out by the foot. There's zero benefit for the buyers apart from the fact that it gives them the confidence to lie about their title on official documents. So maybe just be happy that the Scottish word for land owner isn't doctor, or people would put that on their plane tickets

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's a funny present, that's basically it.

Technically any landowner in Scotland is a lord/lady.

I also own a plot in Islay. That gimmick where you buy one of the better Laphroaig bottles you get a square foot of land.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In what sense do you own the land? Can you put a large stone penis with a solar powered speaker on it? Does the original owner still have some part of it? What happens to all the plots where the owner forgets they own it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BonHair posted:

In what sense do you own the land? Can you put a large stone penis with a solar powered speaker on it? Does the original owner still have some part of it? What happens to all the plots where the owner forgets they own it?
The original owner gets it back after 12 years.

EricBauman posted:

It's like those certificates for ordination in a fake church that you can buy online. Yes, your 'official' title will be reverend or bishop or whatever. But that doesn't make it real.
Those are legally recognised in America though, aren't they? Because of how absurdly easy it is to become a legally recognised religious organisation there?

EricBauman posted:

It's like 'buying a star' which is also something people do, except this star comes with a fake title. You might as well call yourself president of your star since you're never going to go there either.
If they're actually selling the land, it's a hell of a lot more legitimate than buying a star. The people selling stars (or their naming rights) don't own either and cannot sell them. Pretty sure they have to state somewhere that it's a novelty product (just a certificate, nothing more) if they want to comply with the law.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The problem is that it actually is a scam, even on its own terms. Scotland has specific laws that explicitly state that novelty land purchases are not legitimate and that you do not actually own the land. Purchasing land as a noncitizen is usually a pretty big hassle that requires way more than $50 dollars worth of legal work, regardless of the value of the plot, and you generally can't subdivide a property into plots that small.
Scotland could have conceivably written in some exceptions to smooth the process, allowances for noncitizen international sales, tiny plots, etc, but instead went out of their way to particularly put it down in writing that these land sales are not legitimate, do not give you any sort of rights over the plot in question, and do not grant you permission to style yourself as a "laird" or "lord," despite that normally being a pretty informal thing otherwise.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oh no you've hit on my favourite legal topic. Adverse possession is extremely cool but that's not how it works. It's not just like if you abandon land for 12 years the original owner gets it back, it would have to be that they're actively occupying and using the land, not making any secret of it, and you don't assert your right to the land at any point.

I guess if the business has the chutzpah to be actively using the land it's selling and then go to court against the people it sold the land to to get the title on the basis of adverse possession after 12 years then they could, but that seems not very cost effective and also bad for business.

Assuming that the land transaction is a genuine legal title transfer in the first place which I don't know.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

So, you're a lord in the way a landlord is a lord?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Dr. Stab posted:

And in the way a lunch lady is a lady

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I think my dad mentioned he still has the deed to the square inch of land in the Yukon that came in a cereal box when he was a kid.

I guess my family are Lords of Canada.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

No, because you don't even have any real right or claim to the land

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

And, confusingly, the Boards of Canada are Scottish.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is there a thread for aws questions? if not, i'll just throw this out there. is it possible to enable single sign-on for certain apps and not the whole account?

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

abelwingnut posted:

is there a thread for aws questions? if not, i'll just throw this out there. is it possible to enable single sign-on for certain apps and not the whole account?
In Cavern of COBOL: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791735

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

abelwingnut posted:

There is Ask General Programming Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread in The Cavern of COBOL

efb

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I mean that is not really a coding question per say, more of a permissions issue in the software settings itself, don't think Amazon is going to give OP code level access to make that kind of change.

You may want to try the Infosec thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750534 or just the general IT thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, it's not really a coding thing, so that didn't feel right. infosec thread might be good, thanks.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

There's a specific aws/cloud thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791735 - probably your best bet.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

alnilam posted:

No, because you don't even have any real right or claim to the land

Okay so in the same way as a weedlord.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Trapick posted:

There's a specific aws/cloud thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791735 - probably your best bet.

thanks. had no idea this existed and somehow didn't see it when i checked the subforum.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Trapick posted:

Oh that's even better, didn't know that existed. Bookmarking.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm having some trouble sharing a spreadsheet I've created. It's a playlist from my DJ software that I've cut some extraneous rows out of. The software exports the playlist as an HTML file, and Finder sees it appropriately. I open it up in Excel and it also looks right, so I edit out the unnecessary columns. I save it as an HTM file (not sure what the difference is but this is what Excel wants to do) and it still looks fine in Finder.

But when I upload it to Drive, things get weird. Opening it within Drive yields a bunch of raw HTML code, and downloading it yields an apparently blank document. EDIT: I get basically the same results with DropBox.

Can anyone help me out with this? Ideally, I'd like to get it out in raw text so that I can share it in the body of a post here in the DJ Thread, or in another thread on Reddit.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 28, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm having some trouble sharing a spreadsheet I've created. It's a playlist from my DJ software that I've cut some extraneous rows out of. The software exports the playlist as an HTML file, and Finder sees it appropriately. I open it up in Excel and it also looks right, so I edit out the unnecessary columns. I save it as an HTM file (not sure what the difference is but this is what Excel wants to do) and it still looks fine in Finder.

But when I upload it to Drive, things get weird. Opening it within Drive yields a bunch of raw HTML code, and downloading it yields an apparently blank document. EDIT: I get basically the same results with DropBox.

Can anyone help me out with this? Ideally, I'd like to get it out in raw text so that I can share it in the body of a post here in the DJ Thread, or in another thread on Reddit.

Just change the file extension to .txt

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The data isn't actually in the htm file, it just refers to it, presumably to some file in an associated 'transition tracks.fld' folder it has created alongside it. There's no chance saving as htm is going to give you a usable result for what you want to do with it.

Try copy pasting the cells straight from excel into a flat text editor for possibly a tab separated text (libre office calc does this, I don't have excel to test). Or save as csv and throw it into an online csv to fixed width converter to get something that might work in a post if you use the fixed tags.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

tuyop posted:

Just change the file extension to .txt

This doesn't work, just yields the raw HTML code.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Try copy pasting the cells straight from excel into a flat text editor for possibly a tab separated text (libre office calc does this, I don't have excel to test). Or save as csv and throw it into an online csv to fixed width converter to get something that might work in a post if you use the fixed tags.

Hmm, getting closer. What I/O settings should I use? I tried the fixed tags and it just spat out a broken table.

EDIT: OK, an online CSV converter spits out a .txt file that opens in Finder looking good! But not in a post. Am I using the 'fixed' tags wrong?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 28, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah I'm sorry, fixed tags don't force a line length, code tags should be better. As far as output options goes, it depends on what the fixed width converter takes as input. Comma separated, strings in double quotes seems fairly standard. Can't really say from here though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah I'm sorry, fixed tags don't force a line length, code tags should be better. As far as output options goes, it depends on what the fixed width converter takes as input. Comma separated, strings in double quotes seems fairly standard. Can't really say from here though.

Code tags worked! Thank you so much!!!

EDIT: Lmao, viewing the .txt file in Drive still breaks it. Whatever, at least it downloads fine.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 28, 2022

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EricBauman posted:

Funny thing is that they made them pretty specifically “real” in our state. IMO mainly because the other options for non-religious wedding ceremonies are judges and justices of the peace and it’s hard to become a JP here.

quote:

Who is Eligible to Perform Marriages in Connecticut?

* Ordained or licensed members of the clergy, including persons who have been ordained through online ministries and who are given the authority to officiate marriages through such ministries.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah the ordainment thing isn't a dumb gimmick, it's a workaround for (in many states) letting someone you actually know and love officiate your wedding instead of a judge or clergyperson you have never met.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

TIL that the US doesn't have civil marriage celebrants I guess.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

alnilam posted:

Yeah the ordainment thing isn't a dumb gimmick, it's a workaround for (in many states) letting someone you actually know and love officiate your wedding instead of a judge or clergyperson you have never met.

Also because the US constitution makes it pretty much illegal for them to regulate religion any more strictly than that. If you say you're running a religion, you're running a religion, and the government has no say in how your religion decides who's authorized to conduct marriages.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

TIL that the US doesn't have civil marriage celebrants I guess.

Some states do, also in 2 states the couple can pronounce their own dang selves married :mrgw:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My neighbor left an acoustic guitar out for trash day tomorrow so now I own a guitar. What's the best way to clean one of these of dust and someone else's skin oil residue?

VV I'll take an honest shot at learning the basics, though we'll see if I stick with it long-term.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 29, 2022

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

do you have any interest in learning how to play it? are you planning to resell it? in either case, i'd take it to a local guitar store and have them set it up, clean it, restring it, etc.

if you have no interest in it, i'd just give it to a kid or someone you know who'd be interested.

for whatever it's worth, it does not look to be anything special. you wouldn't get much reselling it. who manufactured it?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I second taking it to a guitar shop. It may have been discarded because it's unplayable to a degree that fixing it will cost more than getting a good beginner's guitar. If you're serious about at least learning a few chords and playing some easy songs you'll have better luck if the guitar isn't an irredeemable piece of garbage.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Is fabric softener safe to use? Is it bad for the environment? I literally cannot find a source that is not either a health woo website (often with referral links to “organic” or “natural” alternatives)or an industry group for fabric softener manufacturers.

Edit: oh and is it damaging my clothes? That too.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'll give a dissenting opinion on the guitar: free crappy guitar better than no guitar. Sure, see if it's worth it to fix it up if you have the resources... at the very least a restringing will probably help, which you can learn to do pretty easily. But if you're going from no guitar to let's mess around and see if I'm interested, go ahead and start loving around on it, and fix/upgrade later when you think you want to stick with it. Just keep in mind that if it sounds rattly or lovely or hurts your fingats a lot, a better guitar wouldn't do those things, so don't get discouraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

Is fabric softener safe to use? Is it bad for the environment? I literally cannot find a source that is not either a health woo website (often with referral links to “organic” or “natural” alternatives)or an industry group for fabric softener manufacturers.

Edit: oh and is it damaging my clothes? That too.

It is safe to use, generally. Like all things, it’s full of stuff one might develop an allergic reaction to. But most people are fine. According to my mom, who worked in appliance repair, combining the use of softener with a dryer can be a fire hazard though. I don’t know how, or how likely, but it’s something to be mindful of.

Is it damaging your clothes? The opposite actually. Softener can help the fibers in the fabric stay soft and flexible, increasing the life span of textiles.

Is it bad for the environment? Not disastrously, to my knowledge. Just be sure to buy large containers and/or concentrated formula to reduce packaging waste. It is good for the environment in the sense that the manufacturing of clothing actually is an ongoing environmental disaster, so making your clothing last longer is a good thing.