Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mirello posted:

american "progressives" once it comes to china:

https://twitter.com/BobBrigham/status/1597130165129478145

one of the most awful things I've read on twitter tbh

I've heard people say this irl about famines in Africa more times than I care to remember.

I'm having trouble communicating to Chinese people I know just how little the West cares about them and their families' wellbeing. There seems to be some real naivité about recipocricy of their belief in shared humanity.

Edit: like they read stories in Western press covering the protests and are under the impression this comes out of concern for Chinese people's lives rather than a virulent desire to destroy and subjugate.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Nov 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Mirello posted:

Anti-communism is a hell of a drug

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Mirello posted:

holy poo poo

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Not So Fast posted:

If I'm being generous, it's because coming from the West you feel like you have to have a take on the Current Thing, otherwise you're called out as not caring or supporting the bad people or whatever.

I fully expect everyone who's claimed to have read Manufacturing Consent to just parrot the "we support the protestors we see on TV, solidarity with the narrative" line

"I do not know enough about this issue to have a coherent or thoughtful opinion on it."

- words that never left the words of a Western journalist or anyone else on twitter

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

I'm having trouble communicating to Chinese people I know just how little the West cares about them and their families' wellbeing. There seems to be some real naivité about recipocricy of their belief in shared humanity.

extremely same

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Antonymous posted:

extremely same

I'm close to going "nono, you see, you really need to think of people who look like me with this white skin colour as absolute loving demons, trust me, it's for your own good."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

White Devil posted:

I'm close to going "nono, you see, you really need to think of people who look like me with this white skin colour as absolute loving demons, trust me, it's for your own good."

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
idgi covid is just the flu and barely killed anyone in the west though?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i went to three funerals last year for people under 40, none were vaccinated. owned

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

idgi covid is just the flu and barely killed anyone in the west though?

I know you meant this ironically but lol that "leftists" in the west are unironically taking up chud talking points from 2020-2021 now

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
i dont know why you are all against naomi she just wants to write shock doctrine 2.0

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's called muckraking and book research, people

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
drat, my friend really like the world Cup footage what made Chinese people notice how the rest of the world is handling covid. China censors let out the world Cup footage, the fools!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
https://twitter.com/navdeepyadav321/status/1597220575302529027

The Indian government decided to put an extremely right winged hinduvata film about Kashmir in the big Indian film festival it runs.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

He used to be a stockbroker before he became a journalist. Matt Levine was part of a pretty big white collar law firm which defended wall street before he went to write for bloomberg. I think both those guys do good journalism but you still have to be very cautious of them.

matt levine's good but has never pretended to be a leftist so he gets a bonus for that.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Senior Editor, @RawStory. Proud @newsguild union member. Progressive Montanan. #Bozeman

the legacy of the Workingmen's Party of California lives on

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

mila kunis posted:

matt levine's good but has never pretended to be a leftist so he gets a bonus for that.

Yeah that's true but the tone of his articles always reads like he's a suburban dad who is just interested in the economy.

Also Yves Smith published a takedown of one of his pieces.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2022/11/the-only-crypto-story-you-need-a-response-to-matt-levines-the-crypto-story.html

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone said NATOmi Klein yet

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Honest Thief posted:

drat, my friend really like the world Cup footage what made Chinese people notice how the rest of the world is handling covid. China censors let out the world Cup footage, the fools!

imagine watching the world cup and getting turned up about chinese censorship or whatever, just enjoy the dang sports! its fun!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

unwantedplatypus posted:

Protestors getting into fights with unarmed cops is not what an oppressive society looks like. We all know the police will shoot you dead on the spot if you get out of line in the US. I cannot comprehend thinking you live in an oppressive horrible, unfree society when you can get into physical confrontations with law enforcement and have a reasonable expectation you will not come away dead or permanently injured.

meanwhile, in China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFeewU0HhNE&t=20s

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mirello posted:

Oh cool glad to see eugenics making a return to us politics

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
even living in china for 6 years, it always shocks me how much chinese people don't fear or give a gently caress about police:

https://twitter.com/bawalsakti/status/1596872434166427650

you try this poo poo in america you're going to jail at a minimum. it's not just random tweets. in my experience, I've seen several times police telling street vendors to pack it up and random passerbys getting into arguments with police. I'd go so far as to say I can't think of a country with less respect for "authority".

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

lol “and then everyone in the store clapped” coming to life

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

I try to say at best you will become india and at worst you will become russia in the 90s if you let communism collapse but chinese people really don't think they're gunna be india or russia

edit: either way prepare to split into several countries so that it's harder to become the geopolitical metropole or w/e. Xinjiang can be North Pakistan

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/11/28/mauna-loa-eruption-underway-lava-currently-contained-summit/

The struggle in the Indo-Pacific has escalated as Chairman Xi, through occult arts, has activated the Mauna Loa volcano on the Island of Hawaii. It hasn’t erupted since a ritual by Deng in 1984. Early targets of this lava weapon may be the largest U.S. military base in the Pacific, the Pohakuloa Training Area. Everyone’s favorite Fallout weapon was tested there!

“Community organizer Ikaika Marzo, who played a key role in the response to the 2018 Kilauea eruption, also sought to calm residents as the eruption started.

“It spilled out this morning, but It’s still far away,” he said. “It’s in the Pohakuloa Training Area and there’s a flat area between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa . Hopefully, it fizzles out.””

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pohakuloa_Training_Area

“Weapons such as the Davy Crockett nuclear rifle with dummy warheads and depleted Uranium have been used at PTA.[13]

After initial denials, an investigation concluded that spotting rounds were used in the 1960s. Measurements detected radiation, but reportedly not above life-threatening levels.[14][15]

Two Native Hawaiians were suing the Department of Land and Natural Resources, saying the state has breached its duty to protect ceded lands at the Pohakuloa Training Area.[16]”

Is the mayor of the island working with Beijing to destroy the American presence on the island? “Nobody is in danger at this time,” said Hawaii Island Mayor Mitch Roth. “We’re not evacuating anybody.”

What will the US military response be? Will further volcanic and seismic weapons be deployed in the theatre? More news from your Hawaii Island correspondent Turtle Watch as the situation develops.

Turtle Watch has issued a correction as of 22:07 on Nov 28, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

china already had a famous and extreme 1 child policy so to say "they need a population reduction" means murder

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
what's this tweet about, covid protests or other public measure protests?

https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1597170690830237696

lobster shirt posted:

imagine watching the world cup and getting turned up about chinese censorship or whatever, just enjoy the dang sports! its fun!

it;s not even about censorship, it's literally that the chinese didnt knew people were maskless before watching the world cup on tv

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

"Return"?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/fangshimin/status/1597318355290976256?t=QnSBv8hhWGOaIVwReRETMA&s=19
I'm fairly certain this is an old video of theilitary moving apcs from one base to the base in this city.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

lol Molly Crabapple
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKz4NxpFW5I

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/zhang_heqing/status/1596067976960253959?s=20&t=RS87-h9z8r8eJxU1PIg6VQ
https://twitter.com/DongshengNews/status/1597334684484374529?s=20&t=RS87-h9z8r8eJxU1PIg6VQ

These protests are getting a lot of attention from the West at the same time China is promising more support for Cuba

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Mirello posted:

even living in china for 6 years, it always shocks me how much chinese people don't fear or give a gently caress about police:

https://twitter.com/bawalsakti/status/1596872434166427650

you try this poo poo in america you're going to jail at a minimum. it's not just random tweets. in my experience, I've seen several times police telling street vendors to pack it up and random passerbys getting into arguments with police. I'd go so far as to say I can't think of a country with less respect for "authority".

you can also see this in the way most police are equipped, with no visible guns, tactical gear etc. that you see everywhere in the west, even in the less barbaric nations where police don't gun down citizens every day like in the US

I've only been to China a few times but seeing people just talk to cops normally or commit minor crimes in front of them and be ignored goes a long way towards dispelling the idea the country is an all powerful police state

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

thank you Xi

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mirello posted:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Maximo Roboto posted:

What about Michael Moore?

I stopped paying attention to him when he went all-in on that "Renewable Energy is ~problematic~, oh well guess we have to keep using fossil fuels! 'Nuclear'? What's that?" movie.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Hey, wasn't being with the cDc also Beto's claim to being 'cool' :nsa:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Antonymous posted:

I try to say at best you will become india and at worst you will become russia in the 90s if you let communism collapse but chinese people really don't think they're gunna be india or russia

edit: either way prepare to split into several countries so that it's harder to become the geopolitical metropole or w/e. Xinjiang can be North Pakistan

I'm also trying to get them to consider in very practical terms exactly how a bureaucracy governing 1.4 billion people works. Local authorities might have mundane causes like misinterpreting directives/policy, which may have passed through many a layer of interpretation before it got to the people actually doing the work, civil servants being lazy or incompetent, or having to make do with less means than required on account of China still not being a rich country, especially compared with the western country these Chinese people currently live in. You know, rather than Xi Jinping personally commanding 10 people die in a fire in Urumqi or whatever.

Trying to get them to move away from vague "I just want the lockdowns to end" desires into more concrete, practical and realistic actions they expect of the government through questions like: "imagine if you were in charge, how exactly would you run a country of 1.4 billion people and ensure that whatever policy you desire is actually enacted in practice, while not causing the death of millions?", and then challenging any unrealistic handwavey poo poo they come up with. Trying to get them to put themselves in the shoes of the government, basically. If all it achieves is to get them to think "well all this poo poo might actually be terribly complicated" I consider that a win.

My conclusion so far is definitely that the dialectical materialism education in China has some room for improvement.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I stopped paying attention to him when he went all-in on that "Renewable Energy is ~problematic~, oh well guess we have to keep using fossil fuels! 'Nuclear'? What's that?" movie.

Yeah, wasn't the uptake the only solution is Malthusianism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think the big dumb population map I posted a few weeks ago should go the other way. China should compare itself not to America, but the western world in which America is an imperialist power and also realize china has no global control like the dollar/us military.

In other words,

#1 You can't become america without replacing america i.e. imperialism
#2 America isn't as good as you think
#3 China has to become america for 6x the population (cue world map)

anyway I think the middle class has this "china needs to live up to America" weirdo thing. not even japan or western europe.