Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Are the backs of the cabinets supposed to be open like that? And did you want to at least post a front photo of the gear you have powering these if you're not going to give specifics?

Also, no offense, but what are you / would you be upgrading from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The backs are closed, I just took a pic before to show the guts.

The main setup I have is in the house, two duplex Altec 604-8Gs with their original crossovers that my dad had since the 70s, inside JBL cabinets that I saved and re-veneered, and driven by a McIntosh MA-230:

It sounds great, but man these other ones with an active crossover feels like a huge difference.

The new setup I mentioned earlier that’s in my garage is a Schiit Freya+ going into an ART CX311 and then splitting into a McIntosh MC225 for the highs and an Acoustech 1A for the lows. The speakers are an Altec 416A and an 806A (similar combo as an Altec A7 or Valencia) but inside a Heathkit AS-101 cabinet, which itself was a knockoff of the Valencia that originally came with components made by Altec, so it fit everything perfectly. I think the main difference is that the Heathkit is MDF whereas the Valencia’s were plywood.

The only thing I gotta figure out is how to remove the original grill cloth without destroying it so you can see the components.

I do still want to make a proper A7 clone, but that can wait a little longer.

I really love Altec and old JBL stuff.

ephori fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 26, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this is the best of 70s Too Much Stereo Honey Do We Really Need These Speakers combined with modern tech. i adore it, please keep us up to speed.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Saw a garage sale sign pointing to a storage unit full of junk.

Turned out I had already been to it months ago but figured I'd stop again anyways and see it there was anything new.

It was all the same junk. Except this was at the bottom of a new pile of crap by the door.

Asked the dude if it was for sale. He said yeah but he didn't know if it works. I saw that was nasty and had some rust on top so I figured it would be an overpriced parts unit but asked how much.

He said $20. I sprinted to the 7/11 ATM next door to get cash and bought it.

Took it home, cleaned the switches/pots, lubed the seized pinch rollers and crossed my fingers....

[video type=""]/lWMWmJ9.mp4[/video]
https://i.imgur.com/lWMWmJ9.mp4

I scored this box of decent rock tapes a year or so ago and have been looking for a 707 but figured I'd never find one cheap enough to justify the purchase.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 27, 2022

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
How's it sound?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Mederlock posted:

How's it sound?

Sorry video link didn't work.
Reuploaded and edited it in

[video type=""]/lWMWmJ9.mp4[/video]
https://i.imgur.com/lWMWmJ9.mp4

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Your setup rules

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Wow, that's the kind of score that I dream about. And that box of R2R tapes is almost as good, those things go for stupid money now.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

strtj posted:

Wow, that's the kind of score that I dream about. And that box of R2R tapes is almost as good, those things go for stupid money now.

Yeah the tapes are probably a much bigger score from a value and rarity standpoint. When I added them to discog most of them have a total population of 20 or less.

I did pay $150 for the box of tapes but it included a Pioneer quad amp, quad preamp, tuner and quad reel to reel that works but needs belts, lights and a tuneup to play well.

I posted that haul a year back.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252&pagenumber=2&perpage=40&userid=129732#post513557287

I'm tempted to make a 2nd pioneer only system in my basement from that amp/pre/tuner and the 707.

I've also bought 5 or 10 reel to reel decks over the years that didn't work and needed complete overhauls or parts that are unobtainium like reel tables for my Teac 4430.

Oddly enough, out of all of them the 3 Pioneer r2r decks are the best of the lot. The other one I have is a RT-1011L that plays 10" reels and came with ~100 90s production syndicated radio programming reels in their boxes. I need to start ebaying some of those just to clear up space.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
The RT-707 is to me the best 7inch deck out there, no stupid belts except the counter. I've owned several of them and always sell them after the cool factor wears off. The RT-909 is pretty awesome as well.

Because of this thread I picked up a the upgraded Fosi TB10D for my first class D amp for the spare bedroom that I take naps in sometimes. I'm using a Pioneer GR-777 EQ as a way to switch between either whatever minidisc player or whatever Ipod I'm using. I picked a pair of Klipsch KG 2.5s off of CL and it's a nice little set up to just put some chill music on while reading/napping. I've always enjoyed any Klipsch KG series speaker I've ever had, right now I have some 3.2s on my Linn integrated, and then a pair of 1.5s on my Aiwa A-22 for my computer speakers.

A bit bummed, I missed out on some Klipsch Cornwalls on facebook marketplace for 400 bucks, sold while I was msging the guy.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

TooLShack posted:

A bit bummed, I missed out on some Klipsch Cornwalls on facebook marketplace for 400 bucks, sold while I was msging the guy.

I bet they did! Wow. That sucks dude, that would’ve been a steal.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Not super vintagey, but i found Dad's Stereo on Craigslist and laughed

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

Not super vintagey, but i found Dad's Stereo on Craigslist and laughed

I'd guess the thermostat in their house is annotated a similar amount.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"DO NOT SET HEAT ABOVE 65 DEGREES"

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

TooLShack posted:

Because of this thread I picked up a the upgraded Fosi TB10D for my first class D amp for the spare bedroom that I take naps in sometimes. I'm using a Pioneer GR-777 EQ as a way to switch between either whatever minidisc player or whatever Ipod I'm using. I picked a pair of Klipsch KG 2.5s off of CL and it's a nice little set up to just put some chill music on while reading/napping.

What're your thoughts on it so far?

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

some habañero takes being dropped in the Ridicule Audiophiles thread rn

Sonos Connect, or whatever it’s called (the $300 one that isn’t an amp)

Let the record show that habanero is neither spelled or pronounced with the squiggle.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Just found a whole box of tubes that I put in storage like 20 years ago and haven't thought about since. Most of them are junk I inherited (stuff from TVs, I think) but stuffed in there were a pair of virtually unused JJ 6L6s and a JAN RCA 12AU7. Probably just going to throw them up on eBay but I hope it's cool to say that people can PM me if they're interested?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Let the record show that habanero is neither spelled or pronounced with the squiggle.

well I’ll be a dumb goon, you’re correct

I kinda like it with a tilde :(

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Mederlock posted:

What're your thoughts on it so far?

Not bad, it was 60 bucks so I'm not expecting to be blown away. Honestly would be a great first amp for a lot of people that are just getting into the hobby. I tossed the chromecast audio on it last night and streamed some stuff from the bandcamp app, perfect for non critical listening.(holy poo poo that sounded douchy)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hello ops i want to get a cheapo table but dont want to pay the cash for one of the new "boutique" ones

is this alright for $190 or so

https://www.hawthornestereo.com/technics-sl-5-turntable-used.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hello ops i want to get a cheapo table but dont want to pay the cash for one of the new "boutique" ones

is this alright for $190 or so

https://www.hawthornestereo.com/technics-sl-5-turntable-used.html

It has a unique tonearm setup, so it makes the ‘collector scum’ gland in my brain tingle….but I’d be wary of keeping it in good working order if your hobby isn’t amassing a private museum of vintage equipment that you have to treat with special care/etc.

If what you want is something relatively simple and bulletproof that you can slap a record on every once in a while, and maybe change a belt or lubricate some gears every couple of decades, this is probably not it, for all that it probably works fine.

Same reason I wouldn’t recommend that a casual vinyl listener invest in a Bang & Olufsen turntable, with their one-of-a-kind bespoke cartridge mount.

There’s plenty of good new turntables in the $180-$500 range from companies like Audio Technica, UTurn, ProJect, Rega, Fluance, etc

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

It has a unique tonearm setup, so it makes the ‘collector scum’ gland in my brain tingle….but I’d be wary of keeping it in good working order if your hobby isn’t amassing a private museum of vintage equipment that you have to treat with special care/etc.

If what you want is something relatively simple and bulletproof that you can slap a record on every once in a while, and maybe change a belt or lubricate some gears every couple of decades, this is probably not it, for all that it probably works fine.

Same reason I wouldn’t recommend that a casual vinyl listener invest in a Bang & Olufsen turntable, with their one-of-a-kind bespoke cartridge mount.

There’s plenty of good new turntables in the $180-$500 range from companies like Audio Technica, UTurn, ProJect, Rega, Fluance, etc

I probably agree with this. It’s been serviced recently, so I’m sure it will run great for a while, but when one of the plastic gears or screws wears down and you can’t find a replacement without buying another one for parts, it could be annoying if that’s not your thing.

If you like to tinker a little, it’s not the worlds most complicated mechanism and it’s possible to service it yourself. At least all the 40 year old grease has probably already been cleaned out.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
New gear day! I got tired of my Yamaha C-70/M-35 set up I've had forever today. Another local gear head/flipper in town had a barely used Yamaha A-S701, so I picked that up and hooked them into the Yamaha NS-670s I had been using. Enjoying the sound and the super silver finish on this amp. Right now using a minidisc and a CD walkman as sources.

Traded a broken Nak tape deck for a pair of Polk R200s, haven't hooked them up yet but will in a few days.

He also had this sweet Pioneer amp that I should have got but I got enough stuff right now.

I also finally finished cleaning up the Pioneer QX-949A, played a few records on it with the Sansui SR-626. I hope to have them sold during the holidays.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Stopped at Goodwill and found an interesting tape. They had a bundle of 3 reels for $4.:

One Scotch tape is unopened and the other is unused (still taped down). But the Memorex caught my eye:

Memorex didn't actually sell 1/4" audio tape at this time, so this is a curiosity. If you try to look up Memorex tape, you'll find video tape and 1/4" reels, but hardly any audio tape. I think later on in the 70s they may have produced some, but nothing that came packaged like this. I can find a couple mentions of this tape online but it seems like a pretty rare promotional item. It also appears to be unused though I haven't tried listening to it.

I really need to get a better reel-to-reel machine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wa27 posted:

Stopped at Goodwill and found an interesting tape. They had a bundle of 3 reels for $4.:

One Scotch tape is unopened and the other is unused (still taped down). But the Memorex caught my eye:

Memorex didn't actually sell 1/4" audio tape at this time, so this is a curiosity. If you try to look up Memorex tape, you'll find video tape and 1/4" reels, but hardly any audio tape. I think later on in the 70s they may have produced some, but nothing that came packaged like this. I can find a couple mentions of this tape online but it seems like a pretty rare promotional item. It also appears to be unused though I haven't tried listening to it.

I really need to get a better reel-to-reel machine.

“except in limited quantities for Memorex friends”

what a loving baller flex, I love it

Memorex Friends gang tag when

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Neat find, that must be pretty early. From what I could find they were marketing consumer tape in 1971.

Most of my Memorex memories are tapes that looked like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone have much experience with Marantz turntables from the 70s? I know they aren't as highly regarded as the Pioneers of the era, but I kind of want one to match my receiver. Is it worth paying a bit more to get a direct drive model like a 6150 vs something like a 6100 belt drive?

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone have much experience with Marantz turntables from the 70s? I know they aren't as highly regarded as the Pioneers of the era, but I kind of want one to match my receiver. Is it worth paying a bit more to get a direct drive model like a 6150 vs something like a 6100 belt drive?

What Marantz gear are you trying to match? I would definitely get a direct drive over a belt drive from that era.

Just checked eBay sales and the high end models (6200 / 6300) are going for absolutely stupid amounts of money. They're fine turntables, sure, but that's a wacky amount of money to be spending for the amount of performance you're getting. Are you more interested in sound quality or are you more interested in having a matched system?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

strtj posted:

What Marantz gear are you trying to match? I would definitely get a direct drive over a belt drive from that era.

Just checked eBay sales and the high end models (6200 / 6300) are going for absolutely stupid amounts of money. They're fine turntables, sure, but that's a wacky amount of money to be spending for the amount of performance you're getting. Are you more interested in sound quality or are you more interested in having a matched system?

I've got a Marantz 2230, and will be adding a Marantz 5220 tape deck that my in-laws have. I would love a 6200/6300 but lol at paying $1500+ for one. I'm looking more at the 6150 tier and want to keep it under $500. Sound wise I'd just like something that doesn't sound noticeably worse than my AT-LP120.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

I've got a Marantz 2230, and will be adding a Marantz 5220 tape deck that my in-laws have. I would love a 6200/6300 but lol at paying $1500+ for one. I'm looking more at the 6150 tier and want to keep it under $500. Sound wise I'd just like something that doesn't sound noticeably worse than my AT-LP120.

6150 looks good. Either way you're probably going to run into capacitor issues unless you're buying something that's already been restored, but I'd get in at the lowest reasonable point. Fun setup and I hope you use it!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Is that a new thing from ikea?! It looks drat near perfect.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Is that a new thing from ikea?! It looks drat near perfect.

Yeah, it's an Ikea Obegränsad, basically a Kallax with an extra bit on top. It was pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bet DJs everywhere felt their backs sigh in relief when that came out, the Kallax is just too low to comfortably use decks on from memory.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Funny you mention; it's an improvement, but any DJ over about 5'10" still complains it's a bit low. they were so close!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I own two of the 2x4 and one of the 4x4 of those cubbyhole things. At the time I bought the heavy duty castor wheel sets that mount perfectly on the bottom of them. They cost almost as much as the furniture itself, but holy crap am I glad I did. They work super well and lift them up by 4 inches.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Merry Christmas everyone, from my wiener to yours.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's a good doggo

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Enos Cabell posted:

That's a good doggo

The audiophile people would hate him, tons of jitter.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Did he make top paper towel eater in 2022 as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

TooLShack posted:

Did he make top paper towel eater in 2022 as well?

His reign remains unchallenged.