Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Smythe posted:

take another look at the video bruv....

they're very realistic nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
One of my least favourite things to have to do is walk around cars that have pulled out too far from a driveway or whatever. The drivers are often looking in the opposite direction, waiting for a gap in traffic and completely unaware of pedestrians. Meek people will go around the back of the car, but I don't do that.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Mister Speaker posted:

One of my least favourite things to have to do is walk around cars that have pulled out too far from a driveway or whatever. The drivers are often looking in the opposite direction, waiting for a gap in traffic and completely unaware of pedestrians. Meek people will go around the back of the car, but I don't do that.

Give them a li'l hood slap, the look on their faces is always fun.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Karach posted:

Sometimes I do, but most people around here get way aggressive. I've got a pretty loud report so a "HEY" usually works. The incredulous expressions are indeed fun.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

^And once you've got their attention, mime the exaggerated stepping over the big rock in the road.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Karach posted:

Until you get arrested for battery

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ lmao touché

BeeSeeBee posted:

^And once you've got their attention, mime the exaggerated stepping over the big rock in the road.

I like to deal with sidewalk cyclists similarly: If I see them coming I stand in the middle of the sidewalk and do an exaggerated yawn and full-body stretch.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

i do this when im walking, stop line is back there buddy out my way.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

there are a lot of vacation rentals (which means lots of grubhub and whathaveyou) in my neighborhood and the end result of this is that there is almost always a car parked on a sidewalk or walkable grass median with someone sitting in it just loving around on their phone when I go for a walk. my dog thinks that every stopped car with a person in it has stopped so that they can visit her and her tail always gets a little extra waggy so I make sure to walk nice and close to the car and treat the occupant to a couple of loud thunks from the well-exercised, excited tail of a 75lb lab mix

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
cars much like corporations are people

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Smythe posted:

people = made by other people

if corporations = people and cars are made by corporations, then it absolutely follows that cars = people

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Smythe posted:

Yes. Cars, corporations, and uhh, guns, are all people. People, however, are not people. Depeche Mode was wrong on that one.

I hate sidewalk parkers too, used to mouth off at them a lot but I've cooled off on that one a bit since it's a non-moving violation and I, personally, am not affected by it. That said, I'm not getting out of the way. If that means I walk into your mirror and it ends up bent the wrong way, that's not on me.

I did have a funny encounter a few years ago, as a third party, with a sidewalk parker. There was plenty of space on the other side of the road but she parked her luxury SUV on the wrong side curb to unload her groceries with her child. I was just coming back from the grocery store on foot (lede) and wasn't going to say anything, just sighed as I approached. But a cyclist riding down the street started calling her out for it, and he pointed to me and said "Yeah, you ARE inconveniencing people, like this guy!" I thought for a second and was like "Hey yeah, he's right! You're not setting a good example for your kid, lady."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Greg12 posted:

I like how once in a while someone will be jailed for letting their child walk home from school.

There is no law making this illegal. Nobody would vote for it because we all imagine that we love independent children living wholesome walkable lifestyles in our quiet neighborhoods, but

all it takes is karen carbrain to call officer carbrain, and someone is in jail or on parole and hassled by cps for years for child neglect or endangerment

https://reason.com/2022/11/16/suburban-mom-jailed-handcuffed-cps-son-walk-home/

I'm starting to become agoraphobic just because it seems so easy for someone to give you the evil eye in public, point and go "HIIIIIIM", and then their friends if not the actual police come to gently caress up your entire life for the crime of existing where they can see you. The solution to that is just not being visible at all, though this is almost certainly the CPTSD talking.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BeeSeeBee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OUBUbkELEU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Mister Speaker posted:

^ lmao touché

I like to deal with sidewalk cyclists similarly: If I see them coming I stand in the middle of the sidewalk and do an exaggerated yawn and full-body stretch.

Yeah bro gently caress cyclists.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Loucks posted:

Yeah bro gently caress cyclists.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but if they're on the sidewalk, absolutely gently caress 'em, they shouldn't be there. All the time where I live there are people riding dangerously on the sidewalk, grown-rear end adults who should know better. Sometimes they will even ding their bells at pedestrians to get out of the way. I have sympathy for cyclists - in the spectrum of danger by stupidity they're pretty low - but sidewalk cycling is a dangerous nuisance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdIARGRMrk4

I don't doubt this monologue was inspired by a real encounter Dave had.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Nah, I’m totally with you. If a cyclist is on the sidewalk there is definitely no acceptable reason for that and you should absolutely do anything in your power to try to cause them to crash and be injured. Bonus points for causing them to fall into traffic and die, as should be the fate of all who threaten the safety of pedestrians by riding a bike. Dreadful, dangerous things.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Until you get arrested for battery

No I'd tell the cop about the funny face the driver made, and we'd share a laugh.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

But seriously, riding dangerously on the sidewalk isnt cool, but there are circumstances where the sidewalk is the only safe option due to car-centric design. Posting puerile bullshit like this isn’t going to result in everyone standing up and clapping:

Mister Speaker posted:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Loucks posted:

But seriously, riding dangerously on the sidewalk isnt cool, but there are circumstances where the sidewalk is the only safe option due to car-centric design. Posting puerile bullshit like this isn’t going to result in everyone standing up and clapping:

OK, I can't get a read on you, but I don't really care. It's just a funny way to annoy an rear end in a top hat. Wait... is that your game???

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I always grumble when someone bikes toward me on the sidewalk, but then I remember that their only legal option is to risk their life in the street with a bunch of psychopaths, and then I get over it.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

OK, I can't get a read on you, but I don't really care. It's just a funny way to annoy an rear end in a top hat. Wait... is that your game???

No. Your post was bad and dumb. If you actually do that dumb poo poo instead of just lying about it online you’re too embarrassing for words.

e: the idea that anyone who rides a bike on the sidewalk for any reason is an rear end in a top hat is plenty to dismiss you as an oblivious moron. Try riding a bike in a city for any length of time and then come back and post about bikes on sidewalks.

Loucks has issued a correction as of 01:12 on Nov 29, 2022

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I always grumble when someone bikes toward me on the sidewalk, but then I remember that their only legal option is to risk their life in the street with a bunch of psychopaths, and then I get over it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Mister Speaker posted:

this is car brain

Mister Speaker posted:

Sometimes they will even ding their bells at pedestrians to get out of the way.

getting very red and mad at cyclists announcing their presence when overtaking pedestrians

Loucks
May 21, 2007

God Hole posted:

getting very red and mad at cyclists announcing their presence when overtaking pedestrians

For real. The bell literally means “I’m trying to pass you without scaring you. Here I am! Please don’t lunge onto my side of the path without warning, I beg you,” a thing that regularly happens to me on MUPs around here..

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Loucks posted:

No. Your post was bad and dumb. If you actually do that dumb poo poo instead of just lying about it online you’re too embarrassing for words.

e: the idea that anyone who rides a bike on the sidewalk for any reason is an rear end in a top hat is plenty to dismiss you as an oblivious moron. Try riding a bike in a city for any length of time and then come back and post about bikes on sidewalks.

Lol you're a dumbass. I rode a bicycle across the busiest city in Canada every day for several years and I never had to ride on the sidewalk, even after a few minor collisions like the one I spoke of earlier ITT. Don't put words in my mouth, either. I never said that absolutist poo poo. There are absolutely fine cases (like an empty sidewalk in the middle of the night, or a child on a child's bike), but if you're going to defend someone dinging at people like the sidewalk belongs to them you're a dickhead.

I'm not talking about multi-use paths, either. I used to ride the Martin Goodman Trail all the time and ding to announce an overtake. I'm talking about sidewalks. You know, for walking. That people walk on, and sometimes stand, sometimes in groups, sometimes smoking outside a bar or taking photographs of something interesting. A bell in that context is "get out of my way," and it's a total dick move.

I'm done with you, let's stay on target here.

Mister Speaker has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Nov 29, 2022

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Why would someone not just step off their bike if they're forced to ride on the sidewalk and encountering a pedestrian? It's the polite way to do it and makes everyone chill out.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Lol you're a dumbass. I rode a bicycle across the busiest city in Canada every day for several years and I never had to ride on the sidewalk, even after a few minor collisions like the one I spoke of earlier ITT. Don't put words in my mouth, either. I never said that absolutist poo poo. There are absolutely fine cases (like an empty sidewalk in the middle of the night, or a child on a child's bike), but if you're going to defend someone dinging at people like the sidewalk belongs to them you're a dickhead.

I'm not talking about multi-use paths, either. I used to ride the Martin Goodman Trail all the time and ding to announce an overtake. I'm talking about sidewalks. You know, for walking. That people walk on, and sometimes stand, sometimes in groups, sometimes smoking outside a bar or taking photographs of something interesting. A bell in that context is "get out of my way," and it's a total dick move.

I'm done with you, let's stay on target here.

OK buddy. Keep digging. :kiddo:

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

Mister Speaker posted:

me too but drat, be ready to move. I was almost hit twice while out running in the past two weeks. the last fucker came within less than a foot of taking me out - never even slowed or acknowledged it either

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Let the poster who has never fumed at an oblivious person walking super slowly in the middle of a narrow sidewalk cast the first stone.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

180khs
Bollard: "I'm the driver now."

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Pretty much

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

cat botherer posted:

It's nice when you stop for a pedestrian and they seem so pleasantly surprised :unsmith:.

I know what you mean, for a moment there's a nice bit of affirmation there. But I end up feeling like these moments are nice in the way that stories about, like, an aging walmart greeter with cancer getting a bunch of donations to cover his treatment are nice. It's great that it worked out this time, but if we're at the point where someone getting essential medical care or being allowed to safely cross a street are feel-good stories, then our circumstances are very badly hosed.

I kinda want to roll down my window and say hey, buddy, this is your crosswalk. you're supposed to be there! next time give me the finger for driving a car instead of feeling like i've done you some huge favor by not running you down

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

cars kill people and I don’t like that ;(

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I know what you mean, for a moment there's a nice bit of affirmation there. But I end up feeling like these moments are nice in the way that stories about, like, an aging walmart greeter with cancer getting a bunch of donations to cover his treatment are nice. It's great that it worked out this time, but if we're at the point where someone getting essential medical care or being allowed to safely cross a street are feel-good stories, then our circumstances are very badly hosed.

I kinda want to roll down my window and say hey, buddy, this is your crosswalk. you're supposed to be there! next time give me the finger for driving a car instead of feeling like i've done you some huge favor by not running you down

:yooge: it's his crosswalk!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yep. I go onto the street to avoid pedestrians but if there's no one in the way you better believe I'm riding that loving sidewalk if I feel like the road isn't safe. gently caress you for bitching about it, I'm not putting my life in danger for you and I'm not gonna hit you

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
wow, sure would be bad for people if cities were to do some ableism

just how bad of the ableism is it? they're putting in a bike lane and losing like 3 parking spots https://www.berkeleyside.org/2022/10/12/berkeley-hopkins-bike-lanes-city-council-parking

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
sure seems like it sucks to be old! i'm glad no one ever had to deal with being old until the invention of the internal combustion engine

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pitting cyclists and pedestrians against each other is cool, just like pitting poor whites against immigrants is cool.

Who benefits? Rich white people in cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Pedestrians here are so cucked by cars that they wave them through at crosswalks. It's so undignified