Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

You remember that old Magic meme where you won before taking a turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Patch is confirmed as not dropping today, and is not guaranteed to drop tomorrow.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Anybody else sometimes have the impression that the game changes the type (and strength) of opponents and decks you're facing, depending on the deck you're using yourself?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Jedit posted:

Patch is confirmed as not dropping today, and is not guaranteed to drop tomorrow.

CL970 and I just opened Sera let’s loving goooooo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

uXs posted:

Anybody else sometimes have the impression that the game changes the type (and strength) of opponents and decks you're facing, depending on the deck you're using yourself?
Yes. It's not as dramatic as launch MTGA but I'm 80% certain it's happening to some extent. And not in a way that I'm being queued into counter decks, but in a way that makes my bad decks face bad decks and mirrors happen more often in general (which is a natural side effect of deck strength-based matchmaking).

The rank system is tbqh a giant mess because you're matched on all sorts of other nonsense besides rank. Being hardstuck rank 60 could mean you're terrible, ok, or great it all depends on your hidden mmr. The more you reach infinite the more the system gets rigged against you so I'd encourage no one to take this game very competitively.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 28, 2022

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
I wanted to try out going back to a Curve deck and playing Quicksilver Domino into a host of overperforming 3/4 drops. First game - my Quicksilver is matched with theirs. I hadn't seen a Quicksilver in WEEKS. If it's not doing some matching that's a hella coincidence.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Turn 1: Opponent takes the top card off my deck with Mantis.
Turn 2: Daily Bugle gives me a copy of the card they took

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

uXs posted:

woop woop just got into Omaga rank

thanks Armin Zola

What is your Armin Zola deck that you're using if you don't mind?

Also, what is the strategy for Zola? I've been using Black Panther/Spider-Woman with Zola, but to guarantee that I had Zola hit the target, I'm left with only a 6 drop 0 power at one location?! That doesn't seem right.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Turn 1: Opponent takes the top card off my deck with Mantis.
Turn 2: Daily Bugle gives me a copy of the card they took

I wish Mantis and Cable told you what card they'd taken like Yondu does. There's nothing worse than waiting for a 6 drop that never comes, only for it to be played against you at the end.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

What is your Armin Zola deck that you're using if you don't mind?

Also, what is the strategy for Zola? I've been using Black Panther/Spider-Woman with Zola, but to guarantee that I had Zola hit the target, I'm left with only a 6 drop 0 power at one location?! That doesn't seem right.

It works though. Try to get your BP/Zola on a location where your opponent puts a lot of strength down, then just win the 2 others.

Other card combos are like Daredevil/Gamora, Storm/JJ, and Wave/Magneto.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I had my favorite Zola moment yesterday. Shuri's lab was out and then Pegasus popped up. Opponent snapped and played Hobgoblin on Shuri for - 16. I was already planning on playing Wave so I just went ahead and did that and snapped. Next turn I copied the - 16 Hobgoblin into the other two locations.

Opponent retreated

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Things have clicked for me finally. Playing Buffalo's zoo deck and I'm ranking up again.

I just want to comment on how I'm taken aback at how many times I see another zoo deck, we are practically laid out the same way, same cards obviously holding our 1's and my man snaps on turn 5 and I wind up winning thanks to having a more advantageous lay out or both Kazar and Blue Marvel on the board when they only have one of them or even just having more 1's to lay down.

I'm not sure if they are just rolling the dice and hoping for the best or not noticing that I'm going to plunk down a ton of cards and roid out Bishop and Angela.

stev posted:

I wish Mantis and Cable told you what card they'd taken like Yondu does. There's nothing worse than waiting for a 6 drop that never comes, only for it to be played against you at the end.

First time I tried a move deck, my opponent Cable'd my Heimdall and used him turn 6 just to dunk on me, they were winning and I was just one draw away from turning it around. I should have retreated not having my payoff card, but it was an amusing way to learn a lesson, if a bit stinging.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Double Nova is so good in zoo. Moon Girl, Nova, Carnage, Angel.

No need to bother with Deathlok, if you don't draw carnage Nova works just fine as a vanilla 1/4 with Kaz & Blue Marvel.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

cirus posted:

I had my favorite Zola moment yesterday. Shuri's lab was out and then Pegasus popped up. Opponent snapped and played Hobgoblin on Shuri for - 16. I was already planning on playing Wave so I just went ahead and did that and snapped. Next turn I copied the - 16 Hobgoblin into the other two locations.

Opponent retreated

Something is missing from this story, you had -16 power in two of your other locations?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Squiggly posted:

Something is missing from this story, you had -16 power in two of your other locations?

Zola’s copies redo their On Reveals, so those Goblins would have flown back to his opponent

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Squiggly posted:

I played Zola on Hobgoblin who copied to the other locations and swapped back to the opponent

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Squiggly posted:

He zola'd a hobgoblin. On reveal triggers again, and...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Opopanax posted:

Zola’s copies redo their On Reveals, so those Goblins would have flown back to his opponent

Yup. I went through a whirlwind of emotions the first time I saw a Zola, he did that to me, for a moment I thought he'd hosed himself and then the On Reveals popped off.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Just got a game with Dark Dimension, The Bar With No Name, and Knowhere as locations. I was playing a discard deck

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

goferchan posted:

Lol I admit I've never thought of the esoteric Strong Guy meta counter potential there, but Maximus is indeed a little strong. I think he'd still be pretty good with a "can't play after turn X" restriction like Ebony Maw because as-is the downside isn't really that relevant if you play him late

Yeah on reflection I realize the specific way it countered me is pretty rare, but the downside is exceedingly easy to neutralize.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Opopanax posted:

Ah thanks, haven't ever seen that interaction

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
In other news, I've hit 1000 CL and my first 3 caches after have been: brood variant, boosters, sunspot variant

I'd like new cards, but the current variant rate is pretty rare no? I got the sweet looking sunspot mind melting one and am pretty jazzed

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Squiggly posted:

In other news, I've hit 1000 CL and my first 3 caches after have been: brood variant, boosters, sunspot variant

I'd like new cards, but the current variant rate is pretty rare no? I got the sweet looking sunspot mind melting one and am pretty jazzed

that mind melting one is sick, congrats

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I've got that Vincent Price-looking Dr. Strange variant in the shop right now and I'm sorely tempted to open up my wallet

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is it dumb to spend gold on Variants? I've just been hoarding since I started, but the Multiple Man marching band one is so dumb and funny that I want to shell out for it...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Is it dumb to spend gold on Variants? I've just been hoarding since I started, but the Multiple Man marching band one is so dumb and funny that I want to shell out for it...

I've googled "what to spend gold on" when I started and it said "just buy missions to get more cards faster", so I've been doing that. I guess if you don't want to do that, buy variants I suppose?

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Tender Bender posted:

Some of the variants are sweet enough to spend on

I bought the destroyer Thor variant when it popped up and I regret nothing

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tender Bender posted:

You can either spend your gold on Variants if you want your collection to look pretty, or on mission refreshes if you want to progress faster. Which is up to you.

I'm in no hurry.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Quackles posted:

You can either spend your gold on Variants if you want your collection to look pretty, or on mission refreshes if you want to progress faster. Which is up to you.

I'm in no hurry.

One thing to note. The 1200 gold variants aren't included in the 'random variant' pool, and are bought only, apparently.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

700 gold is equal to about 900 credits or a non-rare variant. Your call which is more valuable to you, given that progression basically ends in five months either way the variants can look kinda tempting.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I feel like aggressively retreating is the “correct” way to climb (please correct if not)

But the 50/50s where the opponent completely throws leads me to think maybe not

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
A season cache just gave me this... thing

I'm second guessing myself looking at it. That's shoddy, right? It's riddled with orphaned pixels and the spell effects are an eye sore.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The progression boost from refreshing missions is vanishingly tiny in the long run. If variants hold no appeal it’s probably better to just stockpile gold and hope they add more uses for it.

The one big exception would be if you’re close to the CL 1000 token bump. That seems worth it.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
They should try to get the Marvel sprites from Capcom imo

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tender Bender posted:

In an optimal game progression sort of way, yeah, spending gold on variants is dumb.

But if you would prefer to get a cool looking variant, go for it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

poe meater posted:

They should try to get the Marvel sprites from Capcom imo

Right. They don't all need to be amazing, but looking at what's been in the shop, the pixel variants have more duds than the other styles. They shouldn't feel like they're just there to be filler.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Donnerberg posted:

A season cache just gave me this... thing

I'm second guessing myself looking at it. That's shoddy, right? It's riddled with orphaned pixels and the spell effects are an eye sore.

Pixel variants look kinda like poo poo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

dhamster posted:

Pixel variants look kinda like poo poo

Counterpoint:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Do you want it? Would it make you happy? Then no it's not dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

uXs posted:

gently caress. Yes. Won’t see a killmonger or elektra for a day plus before I try to play a zoo deck