Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Drink
Debate
Detect
Disco
and Drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I've heard Drugs also make you a Really Good Detective.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Caufman posted:

I've heard Drugs also make you a Really Good Detective.

poo poo, you're right. Maybe there are more than 5 Ds

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Orange Devil posted:

5 Ds and no Disco? Boo this man!

No truce with the furies

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Wafflecopper posted:

That depends how broadly you define centrism though. I'd say there are enough centrists that they're big enough to be their own side and are already in charge of much of the world irl and in Elysium. And pretty much every state/kingdom/other polity has been backed by at least the threat of force since prehistory, the use of which is only a matter of degree.

i don't see the moralism/fascism/communism/neoliberalism split as taking or not taking a side on the political spectrum, but taking a stance on whether society can and should quickly and radically change. communism and fascism are advocating for radical change, the former to an idealized future where society has solved its current problems, and the latter to an idealized past where those problems didn't exist. moralism and neoliberalism do not advocate for radical change, or advocate that radical change isn't possible, and split between whether society should be driven by an effort to (ostensibly) improve the well-being of all or individual effort to improve their own station. you can still characterize the moderate ideologies as taking a left or right side, they're just not taking a radical position

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
Shouldn’t this game have a different thread tag?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

VSOKUL girl posted:

i don't see the moralism/fascism/communism/neoliberalism split as taking or not taking a side on the political spectrum, but taking a stance on whether society can and should quickly and radically change. communism and fascism are advocating for radical change, the former to an idealized future where society has solved its current problems, and the latter to an idealized past where those problems didn't exist. moralism and neoliberalism do not advocate for radical change, or advocate that radical change isn't possible, and split between whether society should be driven by an effort to (ostensibly) improve the well-being of all or individual effort to improve their own station. you can still characterize the moderate ideologies as taking a left or right side, they're just not taking a radical position

Moralism and Ultraliberalism are far from moderate. They are both quite radical, and your character if he embraces them does so to a radical degree.

The ideology that invaded revachol, murdered a bunch of people, overthrew the government, and rebuilt nearly every power structure from the ground up being opposed to change is pretty funny, they aren't advocating that radical change isn't possible, they are actively threatening with violence anyone who attempts to change things and are currently on top, the winners, so they get to define what's "normal". The other beliefs they want you to adopt are pretty radical as well.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 27, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i mostly just picked the "say nothing" options because i like harry better as a listener than a talker

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Moralism and Ultraliberalism are far from moderate. They are both quite radical, and your character if he embraces them does so to a radical degree.

The ideology that invaded revachol, murdered a bunch of people, overthrew the government, and rebuilt nearly every power structure from the ground up being opposed to change is pretty funny, they aren't advocating that radical change isn't possible, they are actively threatening with violence anyone who attempts to change things and are currently on top, the winners, so they get to define what's "normal". The other beliefs they want you to adopt are pretty radical as well.

:hai:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Incremental change sounds nice but learning about the Moralintern and the Coalition is pretty disheartening. It's kind of a smashed together critique of the worst parts of Western intergovernmental organizations like the IMF, EU and G7. The Sunday Friend and Trant make it clear that there's no way in hell that Revachol will be permitted nationhood, let alone a spot in the club so long as they can maintain military rule via the orbiting warships.

And then along comes the moralist ending in which you discover that mutually assured destruction is a core tenet of the Moralintern and they conduct maass surveillance of all citizens/non-citizens

I still don't know what the gently caress is the deal with their founder being Dolores Dei though.

E: There's also a hilarious segue where Trant describes their process for creating managed democracies and it's literally a step-by-step account of all the things that didn't work in Afghanistan :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 27, 2022

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Fruits of the sea posted:

I still don't know what the gently caress is the deal with their founder being Dolores Dei though.

she's a war criminal op

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Incremental change sounds nice but learning about the Moralintern and the Coalition is pretty disheartening. It's kind of a smashed together critique of the worst parts of Western intergovernmental organizations like the IMF, EU and G7. The Sunday Friend and Trant make it clear that there's no way in hell that Revachol will be permitted nationhood, let alone a spot in the club so long as they can maintain military rule via the orbiting warships.

And then along comes the moralist ending in which you discover that mutually assured destruction is a core tenet of the Moralintern and they conduct maass surveillance of all citizens/non-citizens

dolores dei was the innocence of exploration, but in practice she was more like the innocence of imperialism, connecting much of the known world under a single culture and dealing ruthlessly with anyone who resisted integration. DE posits that centrism isn't about incremental change but the deliberate stifling of change, and the moralintern follows in that vein - it professes that the current state of things is the best and only way it can possibly be, while leaving it unspoken that it's also a world in which their supremacy is unquestioned

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

dolores dei was the innocence of exploration, but in practice she was more like the innocence of imperialism, connecting much of the known world under a single culture and dealing ruthlessly with anyone who resisted integration.

Huh, that does ring a bell. I don't think I absorbed a lot of the Dolores Dei info, mostly because Inland Empire was distracting the poo poo out of me whenever she came up. So something like the pope if he was also Cortez/Christopher Columbus. And a lady.

And yeah, their waffle about gradual change was pretty transparently all about maintaining power in the current status quo.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 28, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the best take i can recall on dolores is from a conversation with noid but i can't dig it back up again. iirc when you ask him whether or not he thinks she was human he ominously replies that she "liked to play games" to an extent and reach beyond the ken of people today

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Oxxidation posted:

the best take i can recall on dolores is from a conversation with noid but i can't dig it back up again. iirc when you ask him whether or not he thinks she was human he ominously replies that she "liked to play games" to an extent and reach beyond the ken of people today

When you're a powerful enough person and everything is just a game to you with no real consequences.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

GlyphGryph posted:

right--they are the established order and seek to maintain the stability of it. using violence to attack threats to that order doesn't make them radical, it makes them not pacifists. their attack was a reaction to the communist revolution against that order, to restore it

they aren't some mythical objective center--no such thing exists--they're the status quo, and see no issue with continuing that status quo

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Noid has the right of it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

UP AND ADAM posted:

Noid has the right of it.

Pork and Wheat, man.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

VSOKUL girl posted:

right--they are the established order and seek to maintain the stability of it. using violence to attack threats to that order doesn't make them radical, it makes them not pacifists. their attack was a reaction to the communist revolution against that order, to restore it

they aren't some mythical objective center--no such thing exists--they're the status quo, and see no issue with continuing that status quo

They were not, in fact, the status quo in Revachol. Revachol never had a moralist government prior to the moralist invasion.

The moralists literally launched a military invasion and indefinite occupation against a foreign nation because that nation made a change to its own government that they didn't like - and they didn't even "restore" the prior-but-no-longer-status-quo, they completely rebuilt the country into something completely new of their own choosing. They implemented, in other words, radical change. If that's your definition of a "moderate" ideology, I honestly don't have any clue what you mean by the word "moderate" or "radical" except, maybe, "not moralist", which is an inane and meaningless definition considering how you're using the word. Unless maybe you mean "the ones currently in power", I suppose, in which case the commies were the "moderates" until the radicals of the moralintern overthrew them and established the new normal...

Moralism has always advocated that "society can and should quickly and radically change" from its founding, which you denied they did, they just believe that it should quickly and radically change to the moralintern ideal and then stop changing at all (with almost all of their rhetoric specifically designed to make people as "alright" with that outcome as possible).

All of this ignoring, of course, that Harry would probably pursue even a genuinely moderate ideology to a radical level if he could figure out a way to do so.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 28, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Typical Moralintern meeting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcVxeXiL57I

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

A nice, moderate discussion about the future of humanity. Seems about right.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

GlyphGryph posted:

They were not, in fact, the status quo in Revachol. Revachol never had a moralist government prior to the moralist invasion.

The moralists literally launched a military invasion and indefinite occupation against a foreign nation because that nation made a change to its own government that they didn't like - and they didn't even "restore" the prior-but-no-longer-status-quo, they completely rebuilt the country into something completely new of their own choosing. They implemented, in other words, radical change.

I see what you're getting at here, and I definitely agree it's important to highlight the inherent hypocrisy, - but it's worth pointing out the strongest perspective espoused by moralism is beyond slanted in terms of the conquering nation, caring little for that of the conquered. There is of course the soft moralism of Kim, but that is merely the desired beaten-down default ideology by those in power. A negative moralism rather than a positive one, I guess. In terms of radical change, radical change to the moralist status quo is inevitable, it's only radical change away from the status quo that is impossible. Once capital did the deed from their perspective the end of history had been achieved. Everything before reduced to nothing but charming curiosities to be debated at cocktail parties in the global north.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 28, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

a wildly underappreciated game

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

im looking less at the specifics of DE's strangereal lore and history and more it as a distorted mirror of actual history. the game's ideologies have rather direct irl parallels for a reason, not because the authors got tired and didn't want to construct their own from scratch. they're making a statement about the real-world equivalents, not stuffing them in to flesh out the lore

the moralintern represents the liberal democratic order that succeeded monarchies in much of the western world, with democracy and rule of law and whatnot, but without fundamental changes to class structures or radical restructuring of the economy. communism is, y'know, not that: it rejects the established social hierarchy and economic order as inherently flawed, and (unsuccessfully) seeks to wholly reshape both into entirely new, constructed paradigms that correct the failures of the society that evolved before

i see the coalition invasion as, in part, a much abbreviated metaphor for the cold war: the end result is pretty similar--moralism won--but it's a lot simpler to explain as backstory. the status quo in the west prevailed, declared the communist project an abject and inevitable failure, and tasked itself with cleaning up the mess, to its own specifications and benefit, with concern for the average person's well-being a secondary concern at best

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Note that, in the Moralist vision quest, your whole objective is to call for help from the enlightened sentinels of the current world order. Surely, the same hands that guide the airships in their stately patterns have the power to do something.

But no, the one person you can get through to has the power to do nothing. They aren't even supposed to be talking to you. The Moralintern doesn't exist to help people like you. The airships are only there to remind you that the guns are loaded and they only point one direction: down.

They're happy to detain you indefinitely if you tell them about the hole in the world, though.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Megazver posted:

A great video where someone reverse-engineers how the graphics work in DE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5mtj2tJMQ

It's in Russian, but there are passable English subtitles.

Thank you for posting this! I love the way the game looks and have been trying to track down all of the development blog updates they posted before the game came out, and I’ve got like well over 200 images and a lot of the explanations they wrote out saved, but a lot of the pictures were lost when they switched to the current website. But I don’t know why I didn’t think of downloading the program he mentions, to extract the models from unity, but it’s quite easy and I’ve been looking at the models in blender and they’re all surprisingly simple. The textures also go a long way for how small they are. Pretty interesting stuff, if you want to do it yourself, this is what I used, you just need to own the game on pc and something like blender, then import the .fbx filed into blender. You can look at the models with windows’ model viewer I think.
https://github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio/releases

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
My Harry always has an equal points of fascism/communism/ultraliberal/moralist points and has godly electrochemistry

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

EorayMel posted:

My Harry always has an equal points of fascism/communism/ultraliberal/moralist points and has godly electrochemistry

i wonder if kim comments on that at the end.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got "communist but somehow also a hustler" - but I'm curious if it can go beyond two. (Besides mentioning a copotype)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Dolores Dei was a good girl who did nothing wrong.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I got "communist but somehow also a hustler" - but I'm curious if it can go beyond two. (Besides mentioning a copotype)

I don't think it can, not from my last look through the Disco Reader.

I also got commie hustler the first time. Gotta work hard for the working class!

Mehsticles
Jul 2, 2012

imhotep posted:

Thank you for posting this! I love the way the game looks and have been trying to track down all of the development blog updates they posted before the game came out, and I’ve got like well over 200 images and a lot of the explanations they wrote out saved, but a lot of the pictures were lost when they switched to the current website. But I don’t know why I didn’t think of downloading the program he mentions, to extract the models from unity, but it’s quite easy and I’ve been looking at the models in blender and they’re all surprisingly simple. The textures also go a long way for how small they are. Pretty interesting stuff, if you want to do it yourself, this is what I used, you just need to own the game on pc and something like blender, then import the .fbx filed into blender. You can look at the models with windows’ model viewer I think.
https://github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio/releases

I've really enjoyed finding the blog posts I can dig out so if you ever fancied being a wonderful person and sharing on megaupload / Google drive some time, I'd enjoy reading these.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Caufman posted:

I don't think it can, not from my last look through the Disco Reader.

does Disco Reader not work well on mobile? I’m trying to figure out how to find the exact quotes from Harry threatening to shoot himself while having a temper tantrum in front of Titus and demanding respect

Or if there’s a place with looooads of screenshots?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I think I tried using Disco Reader once on my phone, and it wasn't great, unfortunately. I think there's another thing like Disco Reader that adds the voices from the Final Cut, but I don't imagine that's going to be any more mobile-friendly than Disco Reader. Maybe, though.

For that particular conversation, it's Conversation ID 1219, starting at node 225 with "Kim, I need your gun."

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I know "if I liked DE what games would I like" is a very ymmv question, but I'm about to get Pentiment (I swear to god they targeted the loving game towards me specifically), something relaxing to ease my nerves (Dorfromantik probably), and for the last slot I'm debating between Norco, Roadwarden and Citizen Sleeper, which I've seen brought up a few times. I liked the the demos for both Norco and Roadwarden, though Norco's art didn't completely grab me and while Roadwarden's writing was solid, it was still "just" a medieval fantasy setting, not sure how far they take it. Citizen Sleeper's premise seems interesting enough and the art looks nice.

Opinions from anyone who's played any of them?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I thought Citizen Sleeper was pretty average. Writing was okay but several leagues below Disco. No memorable characters whatsoever. Which ending you get is determined by last-minute decision rather than your actions during the game so you can see them all by just reloading, no incentive for a replay. I'd give it a miss.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

SexyBlindfold posted:

I know "if I liked DE what games would I like" is a very ymmv question, but I'm about to get Pentiment (I swear to god they targeted the loving game towards me specifically), something relaxing to ease my nerves (Dorfromantik probably), and for the last slot I'm debating between Norco, Roadwarden and Citizen Sleeper, which I've seen brought up a few times. I liked the the demos for both Norco and Roadwarden, though Norco's art didn't completely grab me and while Roadwarden's writing was solid, it was still "just" a medieval fantasy setting, not sure how far they take it. Citizen Sleeper's premise seems interesting enough and the art looks nice.

Opinions from anyone who's played any of them?

Norco is really good. The writing outweighs the pixel art

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

I thought Citizen Sleeper was pretty average. Writing was okay but several leagues below Disco. No memorable characters whatsoever. Which ending you get is determined by last-minute decision rather than your actions during the game so you can see them all by just reloading, no incentive for a replay. I'd give it a miss.
I mostly agree that it was worse than DE, but I still found it worth a playthrough. It’s pretty poignant. The mechanics mostly suck but to be honest, as I replay DE, it’s not like it was some paragon of mechanical excellence. So fuckin much walking. Janky poo poo like having to keep a bag equipped just so you can pick up bottle caps. Games like DE and Citizen Sleeper are mostly an excuse to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i eventually just decided to interpret the "click on a thing, realize you don't have the right tool equipped, exit the dialogue, go to inventory, tab over, equip the prybar, no it moved the wrong thing, okay de-equip the chain-cutters and re-equip the tare bag, re-enter the dialogue" sequence that happened to me a few too many times as evocative of what it's like to be harry, forever fumbling through your pockets for the vaguely-relevant trash you picked up two hours ago while struggling to maintain uninterrupted attention. you need the tare bag equipped to pick up tare because otherwise you just forget to be looking for the bottles.