Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

put on a blindfold and press F7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I kind of want another keyboard to gently caress with. i have a leopold fc980 with silent reds, and it's great, don't get me wrong. But i don't play the MMO that i wanted a numpad for

thinking about checking out a 60. just to see

im not gonna spend a lot of money but im also not going to get a Redragon or w/e

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

But i don't play the MMO that i wanted a numpad for

no more 14? alas

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
still on 14, quit daoc (wanted the numpad for group targeting). fear not

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

still on 14, quit daoc (wanted the numpad for group targeting). fear not

on 14 you need numpad-0 for activating the thing that’s closest to you but hidden by a crowd of jerks! along with the rest of the numpad you can power through things like handing in greens to the GC or such

use the power! (or get a separate numpad like I did, so I can grab it when I need it and otherwise live the TKL life)

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Still need to get around to mapping my numpad, was planning on using it for auxiliary functions in video games as well as having DAW shortcuts close at hand but :effort:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jesus christ, the keyboards slack channel at work linked some BFCM sales and I ended up with $600 in a cart. time to close those tabs and get some sleep, hoo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
k6 with gateron pro browns on the way. 56 bucks is worth a try

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i have a similar dealio at work. you get used to it surprisingly fast

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
don’t buy a 60, you have to fn to arrow key every single time, and god help you if you want to do shortcuts involving arrow keys and other modifiers

the k6 looks pretty nice

i just bought an epomaker nt68 and so far that has been good. it's one of maybe a dozen keyboards ever made with the proper spacing for left cmd, everything else claims "mac layout!!!" but it's just a keycap with an icon on it and it doesn’t have the proper spacing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

don’t buy a 60, you have to fn to arrow key every single time, and god help you if you want to do shortcuts involving arrow keys and other modifiers

the k6 looks pretty nice

i just bought an epomaker nt68 and so far that has been good. it's one of maybe a dozen keyboards ever made with the proper spacing for left cmd, everything else claims "mac layout!!!" but it's just a keycap with an icon on it and it doesn’t have the proper spacing.

yeah, i bought a smaller board recently, and my workflow is not taking a lack of arrow keys well. lack of f-keys too, but i press them less frequently.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

i am not skilled enough to do blank keys

blank keys is kinda lame because sure the alphabet is easy but what number is ampersand over without looking?

I had this one keybarod with the letters on the front of the keys. good compromise

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Reposting my custom keyboard because I still love it. I have most of the parts for a new keyboard with low profile switches but I'm still not sure how I want to lay it out, the key layout will be the same though

https://imgur.com/a/g67CxwT

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah, i bought a smaller board recently, and my workflow is not taking a lack of arrow keys well. lack of f-keys too, but i press them less frequently.

f-keys were less of an issue for me, but yeah, a lack of arrows really threw me off. 65% is pretty much the ideal keyboard i think.

if i were to go smaller, it'd be 40%. that way you have to force yourself to use layers and learn it fast, instead of the half measure of a 60%.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I recently bought a Keychron Q10 and it's drat near my endgame. 75% Arisu, got my F-row, got my arrow keys, got a volume knob in the top left. My only real issue is no right Ctrl key, and I do use several right handed Ctrl and other key shortcuts. Feels like there is room for it in the bottom right, too. They just chose not to put one in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kvantum posted:

I recently bought a Keychron Q10 and it's drat near my endgame. 75% Arisu, got my F-row, got my arrow keys, got a volume knob in the top left. My only real issue is no right Ctrl key, and I do use several right handed Ctrl and other key shortcuts. Feels like there is room for it in the bottom right, too. They just chose not to put one in.

I can't find a Q10 kit for sale anywhere right now, it's nuts.

Also sort of nuts: Woot has a 60% analog keyboard up for pre-order now. https://next.wooting.io/wooting-60he

Oh, they had a full-sized one already: https://next.wooting.io/wooting-two-he

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 30, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

im mostly shopping for 120% keyboards these days. might up it a bit in 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you jest, but

unicomp pc122

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

you jest, but

unicomp pc122

i did jest, but seeing the picture, i no longer do

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

you jest, but

unicomp pc122

did unicomp ever get their QC game up to snuff? in the early days it was basically one dude operating the old lexmark factory using cheap plastics

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
IDK. if 3 people throw in i'll cover the last 25% and do a review

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

you jest, but

unicomp pc122

hell yeah. i have the power of god

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

you jest, but

unicomp pc122

you could fit so many more keys and knobs on that case

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
big knob top left and a wide LCD on the top right would be dank

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

hell yeah. i have the power of god

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

big knob top left and a wide LCD on the top right would be dank

couple of these bad boys top left for controlling which bluetooth device is active, or switching layers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
One of these bound to the "End Zoom" key

(i have one of these and that's my plan for it)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nice

FB had a huge blade switch wired to USB somehow that was used a few times for product launches

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah i feel like a few rows of toggle switches is the way to go, not an lcd

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
any recommendations for a tenkeyless low profile kb that has a programmable controller? diy kit would be fine. any bells and whistles a plus (wireless, underglow, a knob). seems that 60% is more popular with low profile but i need the home /end etc and f keys

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

I can't find a Q10 kit for sale anywhere right now, it's nuts.

Also sort of nuts: Woot has a 60% analog keyboard up for pre-order now. https://next.wooting.io/wooting-60he

Oh, they had a full-sized one already: https://next.wooting.io/wooting-two-he

Keychron has the barebones Q10 with a knob in black available right now: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q10-alice-layout-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40247689674841

Oh, gently caress me. They're sold out, but you can get the barebones in Purple now, too. My wife is going to want one.

And the Wooting 60 HE is kind of almost cheating now for Valorant or Apex players at the ultra-high end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glQNEbh79xg&t=277s

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kvantum posted:

Keychron has the barebones Q10 with a knob in black available right now: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q10-alice-layout-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40247689674841

Oh, gently caress me. They're sold out, but you can get the barebones in Purple now, too. My wife is going to want one.

Yeah, I went for the black but the purple was real tempting. Thanks!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
keychron k6 came in. this 'board is sick. gently caress. love it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh, Wooting != Woot

the tone of the copy was similar enough that I fooled myself for a while. in hindsight not quite sarcastic enough

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kvantum posted:

Just a couple weeks ago I got my first mechanical keyboard, a Keychron K10, I don't know how I missed that the Q10 is in that alice layout, now I'm mildly kicking myself.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

fritz posted:

Just a couple weeks ago I got my first mechanical keyboard, a Keychron K10, I don't know how I missed that the Q10 is in that alice layout, now I'm mildly kicking myself.

I should have bought the barebones black. I bought the silver color with keycaps and switches. Yeah it was only $20 more for caps and switches, but I don't like the Gateron Blues (not stiff enough, way too light after typing on Kailh Box Navies). The caps are ok, though.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

I kind of want another keyboard to gently caress with. i have a leopold fc980 with silent reds, and it's great, don't get me wrong. But i don't play the MMO that i wanted a numpad for

thinking about checking out a 60. just to see

im not gonna spend a lot of money but im also not going to get a Redragon or w/e

60s are really nice especially if you are doing a lot of programming or writing related tasks but they take a while to get used to. I have been using a pok3r since college and it's basically filled all my needs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I ended up with the 65 and i love it to death

The only weird thing is i gotta remember to fn+esc for backticks, which i use a fair amount. but going one notch up to get dedicated arrow keys was a good play on my part, as most of the time i'm using this either in vim or for reading and shitposting

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Jonny 290 posted:

I ended up with the 65 and i love it to death

The only weird thing is i gotta remember to fn+esc for backticks, which i use a fair amount. but going one notch up to get dedicated arrow keys was a good play on my part, as most of the time i'm using this either in vim or for reading and shitposting

i remapped caps lock to escape and escape to backtick on my 65% boards and it’s very needs suiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

caps lock is the most useless function on a keyboard, no one over five and under 60 uses caps lock. if you want to type in all caps just hold shift.

Exception for phones, hitting shift for every letter sucks rear end