Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If it’s not in your audit logs you aren’t finding it. If it does exist it’s in your audit logs iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ElGroucho posted:

Anybody know where the hell you would pull a history of license assignment/unassignment for things like Power BI or Visio Pro? For some reason all our licenses were unassigned, and know I'm trying to figure out who the hell to assign back to again

Uhh, are these folks on prem? You can use something like PDQ Inventory to see who has Visio or Power BI Desktop installed.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Uhh, are these folks on prem? You can use something like PDQ Inventory to see who has Visio or Power BI Desktop installed.

Good idea. I'll check SCCM for installed apps

Now I have to figure out what the hell happened, because people are not happy. And it looks like we can't blame Okta this time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ElGroucho posted:

Good idea. I'll check SCCM for installed apps

Now I have to figure out what the hell happened, because people are not happy. And it looks like we can't blame Okta this time.

Na this time you can blame Microsoft.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Nevermind, it was Okta. Luckily, I found the Azure logs and parsed that poo poo out so I could figure out who got unassigned.

gently caress you, Okta

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

ElGroucho posted:

Nevermind, it was Okta. Luckily, I found the Azure logs and parsed that poo poo out so I could figure out who got unassigned.

gently caress you, Okta

What did Okta do this time — or rather how did it creatively poo poo the bed

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

MS support is telling us that custom role creation for Teams administration isn't possible. Has anyone made this work successfully? I can't tell if this is crazy or just the most Microsoft thing.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Nothing is more annoying then being the new guy, being asked to do some tasks and having no access so you need to constantly ask the guy who does.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

you ate my cat posted:

MS support is telling us that custom role creation for Teams administration isn't possible. Has anyone made this work successfully? I can't tell if this is crazy or just the most Microsoft thing.

Teams is Sharepoint adjacent, so get used to the jank.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

you ate my cat posted:

Wait.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Problem statement: We allow employees to use their own Windows and MacOS PCs, and I am worried that data could get saved locally and then can leak from the organization. Ideally I would like a way that when someone logs in from a non-managed device, they are restricted to web version of Office only and can't save or edit files locally.

More details:
We issue all of our employees a company-owned laptop which is in Intune and fully managed.
However, we also allow users to access to access Office on their personal computer and currently have no restrictions around devices.
I've applied the Conditional Access policies CA001 through CA014.
Ideally, when someone wants to access company info on a personally owned computer, I would like them to be restricted to the web browser only, no downloading of files. I don't want them using OneDrive on their computer or opening files with a local version of Office.
Is there any way to do this? Am I thinking about things wrong? My concern is that in our current setup, someone can save a document to their personal computer and now I can't wipe that document when they leave the organization.
I found this guide but it seems outdated and using it vs. the templatized CA policies caused more problems.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What you're describing is possible. Just know that it's not 100% bulletproof. You're just stopping people from doing something that they don't realize is risky, not so much locking down Fort Knox. You want to look at MAM policies.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/apps/app-protection-policy

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

What you're describing is possible. Just know that it's not 100% bulletproof. You're just stopping people from doing something that they don't realize is risky, not so much locking down Fort Knox. You want to look at MAM policies.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/apps/app-protection-policy
Thanks - I have looked at that before but isn't that only for iOS and Andoid? It doesn't seem to reference Windows or MacOS.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Strike all I wrote before.

You can do conditional access policies iirc for anything that's not intune compliant e.g. a non Corp device.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're probably better off restricting the files rather than trying to manage what people can do on unmanaged devices. If the documents are stored in SharePoint then look at Information Protection.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Ok, I got tasked with the hellish challenge of cleaning up some MS licensing because of the joys of mergers/acquisitions, but something I'm stumbled upon is dealing with cloud servers, and RDP user licensing on them.

Has anyone found documentation on which RDP license is actually able to be used on them? I've got like 5 different versions from various people, but asking for proof is coming up crickets.

Most reliable MS documentation I've found is that you need to use RDP/User license with SAssurance to be able to use them on non-dedicated cloud servers. But of course the various partners have their own versions/programs (which seems to be in flux like normal), so does anyone know if the CSP/SPLA licenses actually qualify for cloud hosted?

Edit: Figures - 15min after posting I get a call back from MS's licensing group and they're hunting it down, because they don't know the answer themselves. :ughh:

unknown fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 18, 2022

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Does anyone know how Windows Server handles hot-swapping drives? I'm working on a backup solution that would involve rotating disks in a hot-swap tray, but I don't know if Windows will handle the swap gracefully, or if I'd have to go in and manually online the drive after each swap.

Ideally, I'd pull the drive and replace it with an identical one that would pick up the same drive letter, so the backup software sees it as a native disk without me having to do anything manually.

Any suggestions on how I can achieve this?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fatman1683 posted:

Does anyone know how Windows Server handles hot-swapping drives? I'm working on a backup solution that would involve rotating disks in a hot-swap tray, but I don't know if Windows will handle the swap gracefully, or if I'd have to go in and manually online the drive after each swap.

Ideally, I'd pull the drive and replace it with an identical one that would pick up the same drive letter, so the backup software sees it as a native disk without me having to do anything manually.

Any suggestions on how I can achieve this?

if you want the same drive letter each time, go Google diskpart commands or the powershell that does the same

you need a little bit of automation in this case

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some backup software is designed to work in this way (Veeam is one of them), and devices like the Overland/Tandberg RDX are designed to support that use case.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Some backup software is designed to work in this way (Veeam is one of them), and devices like the Overland/Tandberg RDX are designed to support that use case.

Ok, I was planning on using Veeam anyway but I didn't know about that feature. The documentation seems to suggest it's pretty straightforward after you do the rotation once.

Do you happen to know if it's possible to extract the disk from an RDX cartridge and plug it into SATA directly? I love the idea, and it's definitely more cost-effective than LTO for home use, but I don't really like the idea of having to have a proprietary drive to read the media in the event of catastrophic loss of my hardware. Part of the reason I settled on disk rotation was that I can plug the disk into a $20 SATA dock or any computer with a spare connector and read the files.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

unknown posted:

Has anyone found documentation on which RDP license is actually able to be used on them? I've got like 5 different versions from various people, but asking for proof is coming up crickets.

Most reliable MS documentation I've found is that you need to use RDP/User license with SAssurance to be able to use them on non-dedicated cloud servers. But of course the various partners have their own versions/programs (which seems to be in flux like normal), so does anyone know if the CSP/SPLA licenses actually qualify for cloud hosted?

Edit: Figures - 15min after posting I get a call back from MS's licensing group and they're hunting it down, because they don't know the answer themselves. :ughh:

Just for the record - it took Microsoft's licensing team 10 days to give me the actual official answer!

OV/OVS (open value [subscription]), which includes the CSP (but not SPLA - that's a different beast) 2022 RDS licenses qualify for non-dedicated cloud usage. The big catch is that when you activate it on the cloud licensing server, you need to fill out a license validation within 10 days, and you also can't move it to another provider for 90 days.

A quick note that OL (Open License) generation (aka 2019) also qualify for the above circus.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Number19 posted:

I have a workstation that absolutely will not apply group policy. C:\Windows\GroupPolicy or whatever is empty and gpupdate fails saying it can’t read the policy from the domain controller despite my being able to browse to the policy in the policy store on all DCs.

If I disable the policy it complains about in gpupate another one fails, if I disable that one yet another fails, and so on

I’ve decided the computer is haunted and I’m going to wipe it since I’ve wasted more than enough time on it and it’s not that important but I figured I’d pop it in here to see if anyone has an idea about how to get this to work? The only thing I can think of is to remove it from the domain and add it again but given the empty directory I don’t think that’ll do it

Any ideas?

I'm bumping this because this has now happened to a few other computers and I'm out of troubleshooting steps.

Some new stuff I have discovered:

• there are no common threads between the computers that I can find. They don't have a common piece of software, they are in different OUs with different policies linked
  • the problem seems to be specifically that the computer can no longer access SYSVOL. I used PSExec to open a command prompt as system and then did a pushd to \\domain.name\sysvol and it can't access it. On a non busted computer this works just fine
  • for the above, the fault appears to be only using FQDN. If I use the NETBIOS name I can browse SYSVOL
  • removing from the domain and rejoining does not seem to help, even rejoining to a new computer account
  • using DISM to restore health and using SFC do not help
The new ones seemed to fail completely at random. One week they refresh, the next they don't. I've had 1 go bad, then 3 at once, then 2. In the end it's still faster to reimage the computers than debug this but I'm hoping this rings a bell. It really just seems like the computer itself caches something in some weird way and then can never access SYSVOL again

It's a truly baffling issue and I'd love to know why the gently caress this happens. Google searches have yielded nothing that has helped. I almost want to pay MS for a support ticket but I don't think anyone there will know either. Does anyone have any ideas for poo poo I haven't tried yet?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it's dns op

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The Fool posted:

it's dns op

I would have thought that as well but the system account can resolve all the domain and DC FQDNs just fine.

e: very specifically when trying to connect to SYSVOL as system, the error returned is: The specified network password is not correct.

It's definitely an authentication issue, but I have no idea why

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does the network path between working PCs and broken PCs differ?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Thanks Ants posted:

Does the network path between working PCs and broken PCs differ?

Some are VPN clients, some are LAN. That was my first guess as well but I had some of each break around the same time.

e: to be clear: 2 of the borken ones were in the same VLAN, although they do not share a switch. Each switch's path to the core is identical though

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kerberos works with netbios. I don't know enough to know why when you use the fqdn it is defaulting to ntlm, maybe.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What's your imaging process like? Are you sysprep'ing your machines?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Kerberos works with netbios. I don't know enough to know why when you use the fqdn it is defaulting to ntlm, maybe.

The error from the Group Policy client uses the FQDN for policy refreshes:

quote:

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\fqdn\SysVol\fqdn\Policies\{39204A9B-B3A0-4C46-AFF1-E7437F41A346}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:

a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.

b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller).

c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.

where fqdn is the proper value

skipdogg posted:

What's your imaging process like? Are you sysprep'ing your machines?

This would have been done on a fresh out of the box non-imaged machine, like all the others which are not showing this problem. The very first one was imaged using SCCM and was definitely sysprepped

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kill your tickets on a broke and see if you get any on a new attempt.

I think it's dns tho

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Have you verified all your DNS records for the domain controllers? Make sure there's no old DC information hanging out, and sites and services are setup and up to date.

Also setup a packet capture on a busted machines and see what it's doing and where it's trying to get its info from.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Kill your tickets on a broke and see if you get any on a new attempt.

I think it's dns tho

I have purged

skipdogg posted:

Have you verified all your DNS records for the domain controllers? Make sure there's no old DC information hanging out, and sites and services are setup and up to date.

Also setup a packet capture on a busted machines and see what it's doing and where it's trying to get its info from.

the computer account tickets and that did not help

All my records are up to date and I have made sure there are no records for dead DCs anywhere

e: i'll setup Wireshark on one of them in a few and see if I can get a capture of wtf is happening

Number19 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 28, 2022

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The Wireshark at least showed a bit more useful info. I am getting a KRB5KDC_ERR_PREAUTH_FAILED for the computer account policy refresh. I think this eliminates DNS as the fault and seems to confirm what I saw before with the pushd command:

quote:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>pushd \fq.dn\sysvol
The specified network password is not correct.

Now I need to figure out why the computer account is having Kerberos failures. It definitely seems like the computer password is wrong now somehow, but I've tried a computer account password rotation with no luck. What a bizarre problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does klist show a difference between a working and a non-working machine?

Edit: Wait, computer account. Do you have some script being pushed running as the computer user that's attempting to use network resources and getting the machine locked out after failing?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 29, 2022

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Thanks Ants posted:

Does klist show a difference between a working and a non-working machine?

Edit: Wait, computer account. Do you have some script being pushed running as the computer user that's attempting to use network resources and getting the machine locked out after failing?

No, no scripts to my knowledge. I wouldn't do something like that anyways since it's a Bad Idea.

I don't think it's an account lockout issue anyways since \\NETBIOS\sysvol works while \\FQDN\sysvol does not.

I think these computers are haunted

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Disable ipv6 via reg key. I don't think it'll actually work, but I've seen the windows 10 implementation of ipv6 do some really weird things.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

This has taken an interesting turn this morning. I think I've isolated the "what" here but have no idea as to the "why" or how to fix it.

I did a couple more tests and this is not isolated to SYSVOL. It's any DFS path accessed using the FQDN. Using the same methodology to get a command prompt as system, I ran "start \\fqdn\sysvol" and after some time was greeted by an "Enter network credentials" prompt which then has the username of the former workstation user. As in, the computer account is trying to login in using DOMAIN\user.name instead of DOMAIN\COMPUTER_NAME$. On a working workstation, this goes straight through.

It really looks like that particular DFS logon path has a bad cached credential. Running the same test for \\DOMAIN\sysvol goes straight through.

The question is "how the gently caress did this happen?" and "how do I make it stop doing this?"

What a weird fault.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What does "former workstation user" mean here? Is this someone who's left the company?

Is something being baked into your builds?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Well goons, I have this sorted out. I still don't exactly know the "why" but I have the "what" and the "how to fix" so I'm good for now.

So far as I can tell, this is what's been happening:

• user changes their password
  • the Kerberos delegation the computer account uses to access DFS shares doesn't get updated with the new credentials (this is the "why" I haven't sorted out yet)
  • the computer continues to use the old user password for delegation which no longer works
  • DFS connections for the computer account to the FQDN stop working
  • Windows seems to just give the gently caress up and just have access to DFS via FQDN be broken forever
  • Group Policy fails to update, which is the only thing the computer account is using this delegation for

The fix is to login as the local admin (using the LAPS password), use PSexec to elevate to system, connect to the DFS share (using start \\fdqn\sysvol so it pops up the login prompt), have the user enter their new password (sometimes required twice). This fixes the fault and GPOs update again.

I mean...what the gently caress but at least I have a fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Were the DC's patched recently? Been reading about authentication issues with the latest Windows patch.