Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nessa posted:

I took on Mela first, but she wasn’t hard because I just stomped her with my Clodsire. Georgie is aces and with water absorb, he’s a free switch in on water moves.

I’ve only had one loss and it was the fight against Arven. My guys were level 47/48 at the time. I managed to make it aaalll the way to his Mabosstiff and was one hit away from winning when my Dachsbun missed with Play Rough and she was K.O.’d. I was so close. Then I went and did my final Star Base and final gym and came back a few levels higher and beat him. It was still tough though. I appreciated the hard fight.

I’ve now finished the 3 main stories and am just debating if I should do the Elite Four or hunt around for those stakes to unleash the beasts.

You’re not, the Elite Four is part of the Victory Road story and there’s one more that unlocks after beating all 3 (unless you mean the School Tournament)

Anyway I just finished the main game myself, the only boss that really gave me some trouble to be honest was Atticus (I burned through a lot of potions and revives in that fight just so I wouldn’t have to start over) but to be fair I anticipated the fluctuating level curve and after that spent a bit of time grinding to make things more manageable going forward

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Crystal Nuzlocke Update

Currently Working on grinding out some levels prior to the eighth gym. This is where things stood before I stupidly reset the game without thinking about how long it had been since I saved.

I decided it would be unsporting to drop a level 40 legendary into my squad at this point so here’s Golduck. I think I will try to integrate suicune post Lance instead.

The last time I saved was when golduck here was unevolved still at level 27. Really excited to do all that again.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I think this has been my favorite Pokémon story of any of the games. I like that all of the important characters are given little moments. It was a good move to familiarize the player with all of the Elite 4 members prior to taking them on so it didn't feel like you were just beating up randos. It was especially fun if you had taken Hassel's art classes. He's just so proud of you!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I think this has been my favorite Pokémon story of any of the games. I like that all of the important characters are given little moments. It was a good move to familiarize the player with all of the Elite 4 members prior to taking them on so it didn't feel like you were just beating up randos. It was especially fun if you had taken Hassel's art classes. He's just so proud of you!

Same. I'm still pretty early, but the part after the second Titan with Arvel's sick dog really got to me.

It helps that, for the most part after the intro you can explore and catch pokémon at your own pace, and only have to do plot cutscenes when you sit down and say "Okay, let's do one of the plot events." It's not like you reach a town and want to just keep catching pokémon but have to sit through a lot of dialogue first. You can keep going and even queue up a few fast travel points near the campaign events for whenever you feel like tackling them.

Nothing makes me dislike video game dialogue than when it forces me to listen while I really want to get back to playing, and so far S/V has let me avoid that problem pretty well.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Heliotropical posted:

Is there a good way to grind to 100 in this game? I've finished the postgame but my team of mid-70s seems to be a bit too weak to take on 5 star raids currently. I know there's wild chanseys in the last area, is that the best way to grind for levels?

I find it easiest just to use the xp candies from raids. Online raiding at 5 stars drops 1XL and 1L per win at minimum. Plus cash and goods. Plus 6 star pokemon you catch automatically have 5 of 6 maxxed stats and 5 stars have 4/6 stats maxxed guaranteed.

Lux Animus posted:

Huge Power ability (doubles attack), Fairy Tera (for dragon-tera charizard raids incoming), Maximized Attack EVs, Bottle-capped Attack, Adamant nature

Use water and fairy phys attacks and belly drum

e: these are all assumptions lol

e2: theres a wandering tera-fairy azurill in the mid-north of the NW lake, apparently

I built one with Superpower/BellyDrum/Ice Punch and Play Rough and it's a monster, I used the fairy Tera type sparkly one you can catch in the wild. Against a 5 star raid Salamence I could do 60% or so of it's life in one hit with a belly drum play rough.

goferchan posted:

edit: Oh, it's Anticipation for Eevee? Yeah I have a bunch of those. For breeding HAs, if one of the parents has any HA there's a chance to hatch a child with one right?

You don't have to breed anymore to get egg moves this gen. Just have an empty move slot on the 'mon that needs the move, and have them hold a Mirror Herb. Put them in a picnic with any other 'mon that knows the egg move you want to transfer, egg group is completely irrelevant. Literally any 'mon that knows the move. After a minute they will learn the move. No egg and no breeding involved, and it doesn't even use up the Mirror Herb.

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I've definitely gotten a bunch of hidden abilities from 2-4 star raids.

When do you unlock 5 and 6 star raids? After the storyline completion or just after the E4/Starfall/Titans storylines?

5 star raids after you get the credits and 6 star raids after you beat the school tournament after.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
bought scarlet while i was away on thanksgiving break. came home to find out my right joycon is busted and the repair form won't work. fml.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Same. I'm still pretty early, but the part after the second Titan with Arvel's sick dog really got to me.

The ending to Arven's story almost made me cry, but I steeled up and made it through that cutscene.

I felt bad that (Path of Legends ending) the game forces you to beat him. I actually threw my first attempt because I didn't have the heart to.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Speaking of Arven.

(Really Adorable Art but I suppose it's Very Mild spoilers)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Xander B Coolridge posted:

The ending to Arven's story almost made me cry, but I steeled up and made it through that cutscene.

I felt bad that (Path of Legends ending) the game forces you to beat him. I actually threw my first attempt because I didn't have the heart to.

I mean, it's the only thing stopping him from running off to Area Zero to punch his mom/dad in the face.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Speaking of Sada & Turo I oddly find myself preferring Sada in spite of Turo being a Mega DILF.

Something about the weird juxtaposition of her design and her dreams of bringing back ancient prehistoric pokemon with the ultra high tech stuff including an advanced robot AI is just some kind of exquisite poo poo. Also she really do just got a rad rear end design. Her feral cavewoman outfit and power stancing made the final fight even more intimidating.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

barclayed posted:

bought scarlet while i was away on thanksgiving break. came home to find out my right joycon is busted and the repair form won't work. fml.

I used the repair service right before the game came out, so I wonder why it's not working for you. I was logged in to my Nintendo account and did it on desktop, maybe try that if you haven't?

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
In the interest of not screwing up the only Gholdengo I'll have, is there a best way to build its stats for raids? Since I don't need to minmax it like a competitive mon, would something like an even spread of SpA/SpD/Def work? Or do I want to go all in on Def and use something like a Tinkaton for SpD?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Speaking of Sada & Turo I oddly find myself preferring Sada in spite of Turo being a Mega DILF.

Something about the weird juxtaposition of her design and her dreams of bringing back ancient prehistoric pokemon with the ultra high tech stuff including an advanced robot AI is just some kind of exquisite poo poo. Also she really do just got a rad rear end design. Her feral cavewoman outfit and power stancing made the final fight even more intimidating.
frankly im not sure what appeals to people about turo. you say he looks like a dilf, but all i can see is a guy who looks like he seriously buys bitcoin

meanwhile when i see sada my eyes pop out of my head like a cartoon wolf

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
turo is a dilf from the neck up, but the whole rest of him is wearing a truly terrible outfit

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

pray for my aunt posted:

In the interest of not screwing up the only Gholdengo I'll have, is there a best way to build its stats for raids? Since I don't need to minmax it like a competitive mon, would something like an even spread of SpA/SpD/Def work? Or do I want to go all in on Def and use something like a Tinkaton for SpD?

From what I heard in the discord when I asked, it's max sp atk, max hp

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

playing thru Sword for the first time to hype myself up for ScarVi when i get my hands on a copy and drat what a blast so far. the Dynamax stuff is taking some getting used to but the raid battles+wild fields are hype. idk why people hated Sw/Sh at least if memory serves. this rocks

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t think I’d like it if it became effortless like that; there’s a funny secondary struggle where Dusk Balls are gonna be the most effective ball 70% of the time but it looks garish as hell so you have to use a worse ball.

Maybe just make all pokeballs easier to acquire??

Any reason why its the most effecfive that im missing?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Dusk Balls have a 3x catch rate multiplier and their condition (being in a cave or at night) is trivial.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It's just the easiest conditional one to activate, requiring either nighttime or being inside a cave (not that there are many of the latter in this game). It's beat out by Net Balls and Dive Balls when their respective conditions activate, tied with Repeat Balls, and better than an Ultra Ball.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

goferchan posted:

It's just the easiest conditional one to activate, requiring either nighttime or being inside a cave (not that there are many of the latter in this game). It's beat out by Net Balls and Dive Balls when their respective conditions activate, tied with Repeat Balls, and better than an Ultra Ball.

Does paradox zone count as a cave

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Clocks posted:

There's a slightly updated version of duping where you only have to dupe your legendary once and then you can do some menu stuff after that.

https://youtu.be/staa9Fv0Rwo

For anyone who's as allergic to videos as me:

1) Do the previous duping method (have 5 Pokemon in the party, put the legendary into battle mode and attach the desired item, hit the + button twice to mount and dismount, put the legendary back into battle mode, capture any Pokemon, add it to the party, when asked which Pokemon to box hit A then B right after. If you do it correctly it will ask if you want to take the item off of the legendary, box the legendary and then put the newly caught Pokemon in your party.)
2) With the legendary still boxed, back out of the menu and hit + twice to mount then unmount the legendary. This adds it to the bottom left of the menu screen as it previously was.
3) Now, go back to the boxes and swap the newly captured Pokemon at the bottom of the party with the boxed legendary. You should now see the legendary Pokemon in the 6th slot and also see it in the ride icon.
4) Select the legendary in the 6th slot and give it the item you want to dupe.
5) Select it again and use the menu option "switch to ride mode".
6) Go into the box menu, hit the X button twice to get to the "battle teams" tag, then hit LB when in the first box or go to the "all boxes" display and select the upper right box labeled with the legendary's name. You should be taken to a box containing the legendary holding the item you're duping.
7) Remove the item from that legendary and put it in your bag.
8) Repeat steps 4 through 7 as much as you like. If you want to dupe a new item, you just have to give the legendary in the 6th slot the new item and follow the steps again, there's no additional setup.
9) When you're done, capture a Pokemon and use that same A then B button press trick to force the duplicate legendary into a normal box, then release it from there. Otherwise it'll be stuck in your party.

After these steps, you should be back to the standard status quo with the legendary with as many duped items as your heart desires.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Step 9 you can just mount your legendary, then press A while mousing over it in mount form and that should get rid of the duped one. No need to catch anything.

Anyway, I've had some unsuccessful sandwich-outbreak hunts (where after KOing 60 of the outbreak pokemon and a full 30 minute shiny sandwich I didn't see a single shiny), however I did do one for flittles earlier where I got three in the last five minutes:

Hopefully they add some kind of audio/visual cue at some point though. I tried doing tadbulbs earlier and their only difference is reddish tips rather than orange, so I had to basically zoom into each one to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

She is absolutely kicking my rear end too. I can one shot everything she has, but then her Roaring Moon just comes out and wrecks my poo poo. I'm working on training up a Flutter Mane to hopefully counter it but drat.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Can anybody throw ol' Flopsy an assist here? I'm trying to finish out my pokedex on scarlet. I need two version exclusives and the some of the future mons. I have no intentions on keeping any just need the entries.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

would maybe notice tauros

impossible. the next 100 tandemaus i see could be shiny and it would be impossible to tell

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Clocks posted:

Hopefully they add some kind of audio/visual cue at some point though. I tried doing tadbulbs earlier and their only difference is reddish tips rather than orange, so I had to basically zoom into each one to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Yeah, I ran into this trying to find a shiny Dreepy. Fuckers are so small!

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I wish you could decorate your dorm room in some way or like, do anything with it. Use the kitchen to make sandwiches, idk. Put different Poke Dolls on the desk like GSC. It's totally pointless.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I wish you could decorate your dorm room in some way or like, do anything with it. Use the kitchen to make sandwiches, idk. Put different Poke Dolls on the desk like GSC. It's totally pointless.

Is there anything you can do in your dorm room besides use it as a makeshift PokeCenter for that matter?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Flopsy posted:

Can anybody throw ol' Flopsy an assist here? I'm trying to finish out my pokedex on scarlet. I need two version exclusives and the some of the future mons. I have no intentions on keeping any just need the entries.

What do you need? I’m trying to finish my Pokédex before the first patch lol

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
lmao I just stumbled upon the best mix-up (spoiler for Legendary Quartet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zToxNtaOinY

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

woke kaczynski posted:

1) Do the previous duping method (have 5 Pokemon in the party, put the legendary into battle mode and attach the desired item, hit the + button twice to mount and dismount, put the legendary back into battle mode, capture any Pokemon, add it to the party, when asked which Pokemon to box hit A then B right after. If you do it correctly it will ask if you want to take the item off of the legendary, box the legendary and then put the newly caught Pokemon in your party.)
2) With the legendary still boxed, back out of the menu and hit + twice to mount then unmount the legendary. This adds it to the bottom left of the menu screen as it previously was.
3) Now, go back to the boxes and swap the newly captured Pokemon at the bottom of the party with the boxed legendary. You should now see the legendary Pokemon in the 6th slot and also see it in the ride icon.
6) Go into the box menu, hit the X button twice to get to the "battle teams" tag, then hit LB when in the first box or go to the "all boxes" display and select the upper right box labeled with the legendary's name. You should be taken to a box containing the legendary holding the item you're duping.
8) Repeat steps 4 through 7 as much as you like. If you want to dupe a new item, you just have to give the legendary in the 6th slot the new item and follow the steps again, there's no additional setup.
9) When you're done, capture a Pokemon and use that same A then B button press trick to force the duplicate legendary into a normal box, then release it from there. Otherwise it'll be stuck in your party.

After these steps, you should be back to the standard status quo with the legendary with as many duped items as your heart desires.

Clocks posted:

Step 9 you can just mount your legendary, then press A while mousing over it in mount form and that should get rid of the duped one. No need to catch anything.

game rules

now all I gotta do is complete the pokedex before this gets patched

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Can Pokemon relearn moves that were taught with TMs, or can they only relearn moves they learned naturally? Google wouldn't tell me.

Larryb posted:

Is there anything you can do in your dorm room besides use it as a makeshift PokeCenter for that matter?

That's it as far as I know.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Can Pokemon relearn moves that were taught with TMs, or can they only relearn moves they learned naturally? Google wouldn't tell me.

That's it as far as I know.

Pokémon can relearn any move they’ve previously had, yes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

woke kaczynski posted:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Larryb posted:

Pokémon can relearn any move they’ve previously had, yes

Not quite true. There is an exception with the Terra pokemon you can fight on the world map. If you replace any of their non natural moves you'll need to tm them back.

But yes, any move actively taught to a pokemon can be relearned later.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

What do you need? I’m trying to finish my Pokédex before the first patch lol

An Eiscue, a misdreavus/mismagius, Iron treads, Iron bundle, Iron thorns, Iron Valient, and Miraidon. If you need some paradox mons I could try and hunt them down but I haven't gotten around to grabbing many yet.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I thought the same thing. Why give us a dorm room if we can’t really do anything with it? It should work like a secret base as a place to put collectibles. They could even add another storefront for selling posters, dolls, bedding, and furniture. I’m pretty sure the home ec teacher even off handedly mentions students decorating their rooms.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Nessa posted:

I thought the same thing. Why give us a dorm room if we can’t really do anything with it? It should work like a secret base as a place to put collectibles. They could even add another storefront for selling posters, dolls, bedding, and furniture. I’m pretty sure the home ec teacher even off handedly mentions students decorating their rooms.
im assuming that was the intent but lol feature creep

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Exploits are badass actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I used to have someone who would convert pokemon i bred into shinies a couple years back. It ruled actually.