Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Eimi posted:

:psyduck: I can't imagine that. Not having to have the burst up/be in the circle is so huge, and Nahida applies a LOT of dendro. While doing damage on top of it.

Nahida is broken good because she applies so much dendro and we have several really good options for off-field hydro and electro. With her on the field dendro is constantly being applied, with hydro reacting for a core, and an EM-stacked electro (or pyro in the weird Thoma thing I'm running) detonates for big number. As soon as Nahida leaves the field you're now relying on reactions to proc TKP to proc cores to proc a reaction... and that's pretty slow. You can sorta fix that by running a quickswap but at that point why isn't Nahida on point all the time where she can wreck the place?

DMC isn't the ideal solution to this but having the Q up and just putting up with five seconds of downtime is going to get you way more cores than relying on TKP. I guess you could also use Collei but I like DMC better. The downside is you have to build DMC, knowing full well that some new character is going to steal that role eventually.

On field: Nahida
Off field: DMC (but you should probably learn about our lord and savior Nahida)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'd definitely run two or three Nahidas for the Abyss if I could. My two teams are Shinobu Hyperbloom and Aggravate Keqing, and Nahida's the best character in both of them.

Any time Nahida isn't on the team, everyone should be asking: "Where's Nahida?"

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 29, 2022

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah for aggravate it doesn't really matter, I guess. Nahida's 25s time and TKP damage is going to win out. I'm just talking about bloom/hyperbloom/burgeon where you live and die by your core generation.

She's all that's holding together my mandatory friendship team of ZL/Candace/Dori/Nahida.

E: I completely missed that tier list being posted. Those are always great for a laugh.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 29, 2022

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Thinking about how DMC coulda been around Rosa level if she hadn't been savagely bullied by ICD...

Edit: Also you people are crazy, that tier list is trash from a dump lmao. It's an international laughingstock. It's got, like, a "mid-tier TCer from circa 2.1" level of game understanding. Just having a section unironically labeled "T0 Main DPS" is a meme.

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 29, 2022

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Dendro traveler is actually good because dendro is good.

But dendro traveler is also VERY ER hungry. Also, nahida exists. Still, a limited 5 star shouldn't invalidate a free character.
If the high energy/slow cooldown DMC burst applied dendro decently I would agree with you. But it doesn't. Terrible burst, terrible skill, terrible everything. :cripes:

I would posit that dendro main character is the worst of all traveler elements. EMC is like a dori that doesn't work in co-op. DMC is utter trash. c6 DMC is worse than c1 collei which is what I was using for the abyss up until Nahida was released. And c1 collei is pretty weak. Nahida is extremely overpowered.

Mailer posted:

In the case of wanting an off-field dendro I'd take DMC over Nahida any day.
Why?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Sanctum posted:

If the high energy/slow cooldown DMC burst applied dendro decently I would agree with you. But it doesn't. Terrible burst, terrible skill, terrible everything. :cripes:

I would posit that dendro main character is the worst of all traveler elements. EMC is like a dori that doesn't work in co-op. DMC is utter trash. c6 DMC is worse than c1 collei which is what I was using for the abyss up until Nahida was released. And c1 collei is pretty weak. Nahida is extremely overpowered.

Why?

True, I suppose for bloom/hyperbloom dendo MC might not have enough application. But for quicken/aggrevate teams they worked well enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nyaawn posted:

it's anime every loving character looks "eternally 17" except, ocassionally, the guy who looks 25 but is actually 50

i dont think this is true

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Clarste posted:

You just need to open your mind and accept that maybe they're all 21, who knows?

I mean I don't know what the drinking age in Mondstat is, but at the Oktoberfest event Mona was looking for food that pairs well with wine for when Fischl visits.
So that establishes that Mona is old enough to drink, either Fischl is old enough to drink or she's close and Mona's cool, and that mid-sized characters are not inherently teenagers.

Personally I tend to just assume anyone expected to have a job is at least early 20s.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The new cool thing is to assume that everyone with a vague age but a long-term career is actually 30.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hu Tao aged well for someone who’s 30.

…and she needs a proper event for her rerun.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Anime ages are more of a suggestion than anything else.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I've narrowed down Dori's age range as somewhere between 10 and 60.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Time is frozen in Genshin. About half of the characters have had 2 birthdays but they don't look like they've aged a day!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Time is frozen in Genshin. About half of the characters have had 2 birthdays but they don't look like they've aged a day!
If the sky is fake, what even is a "year" in Teyvat?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Endorph posted:

i dont think this is true

ok i forgot about the 20 something high school teachers

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Largely due to core generation against smaller numbers. It felt like Nahida was better at big groups but that's not typically what you see in 12. In playing her in... pretty much everything since her release (and DMC/Collei before that) she has trouble generating cores purely on reactions against 1-3 targets in the weird teams where she fits in the background. This isn't scientific or anything - same with DMC > Collei. Hearing the opposite is interesting, though I've only got the free C1 Collei so that might affect things.

Note: I don't own Nilou or Kuki, so there's two fairly large gaps in potential teams. Looking at Nilou bloom videos, though, people tend to spend a lot of time quickswapping to keep up dendro application.

Anecdotally I've never had an issue with DMC generating cores. I also like her skill (way more than Collei's) so we may just be on completely opposite sides here. :v:

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
If I wasn't stuck with XQ and Barbara as my only hydros, I'd have probably had to learn Onfielder Nahida by now. Alas, I have had to learn XQ onfielder, which certainly feels strange but works enough I suppose.

RareAcumen posted:

We'll have had three Lantern Festivals by the end of 3.4, and Lisa will still be not dead from her "year left to live" terminal illness. Events and Story time have almost no relation to each other in this game.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tree Reformat posted:

If I wasn't stuck with XQ and Barbara as my only hydros, I'd have probably had to learn Onfielder Nahida by now. Alas, I have had to learn XQ onfielder, which certainly feels strange but works enough I suppose.

We'll have had three Lantern Festivals by the end of 3.4, and Lisa will still be not dead from her "year left to live" terminal illness. Events and Story time have almost no relation to each other in this game.

Yet they make sure you've done X quest and Y character isn't busy with another quest before you can start events. It makes very little sense

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mailer posted:

In the case of wanting an off-field dendro I'd take DMC over Nahida any day.

Copium. This is like wanting Lisa over Yae Miko or Amber over Yoimiya.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Before Nahida was released I was using DMC with Nilou and it was horrible. Just waiting for skill/burst cool-downs to end over and over again.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BabyRyoga posted:

Yet they make sure you've done X quest and Y character isn't busy with another quest before you can start events. It makes very little sense

They do this for technical reasons, to avoid the mess of having to have a character in multiple places at once.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I wonder if I should consider saving my blue wishes until Faruzan goes on the standard banner in 3.4, in case I miss her when she's on Scaramouche's. That's probably an insane micro-optimization. What do the odds of getting a specific 4-star character off any given blue wish average out to? Like 0.2%?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's 1/58 given that you've hit 4 star pity. If you mean per blue wish in general it's about 1/464, so .2% was pretty close.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

silvergoose posted:

They do this for technical reasons, to avoid the mess of having to have a character in multiple places at once.

*crashes sky palace into a boss to kill it, then rebuilds it in three days*

I'm just glad I don't have to suspend my disbelief in this video game

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The real issue is that once you've caught up on content, you only get about 1 and half blue ten pulls per month: one ten pull from the shop and battle pass combined, and maybe a couple singles from leveling up a new or benched chatacter(s).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Devor posted:

*crashes sky palace into a boss to kill it, then rebuilds it in three days*

I'm just glad I don't have to suspend my disbelief in this video game

I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, but I meant, being able to define character positions in the game as unique is very helpful in coding terms.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

silvergoose posted:

I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, but I meant, being able to define character positions in the game as unique is very helpful in coding terms.

silvergoose_liyue
silvergoose_monstadt

I solved the intractable "two character" dilemma

Edit: I don't give a poo poo if there are 4 different story quest leads all standing at the same coffee shop waiting for me for 4 different quests, and I don't give a poo poo if there are three different versions of the same character within sight of each other, it's not a technical problem, it's one they created to avoid silliness in a game that is silly

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Devor posted:

silvergoose_liyue
silvergoose_monstadt

I solved the intractable "two character" dilemma

Edit: I don't give a poo poo if there are 4 different story quest leads all standing at the same coffee shop waiting for me for 4 different quests, and I don't give a poo poo if there are three different versions of the same character within sight of each other, it's not a technical problem, it's one they created to avoid silliness in a game that is silly
You're wrong.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

No Wave posted:

It's 1/58 given that you've hit 4 star pity. If you mean per blue wish in general it's about 1/464, so .2% was pretty close.
I mean in general, yeah.

I'll know exactly how Scaramouche's banner turned out for me on the first day of 3.3, so I might as well wait for that before I try to decide. It's not a bad idea, but I might go mad if I try to push my schemes much further.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

No Wave posted:

You're wrong.

You can disagree with my opinions but "We Only Have One Lisa" isn't a real coding problem

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Devor posted:

You can disagree with my opinions but "We Only Have One Lisa" isn't a real coding problem
Yeah that's what people think, they ran out of Lisas. people sure are dumb!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Devor posted:

Have you dealt with unique key constraints in databases?

It's not that it's a coding problem, it's that making things defined as unique is really fuckin useful when designing stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The legacy debt from using unity for 3 years is probably bad enough, they don't even bother lip synching when there's AI programs to fix 80% of it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

The legacy debt from using unity for 3 years is probably bad enough, they don't even bother lip synching when there's AI programs to fix 80% of it.
The worst thing is that they're on one of the last versions of the engine that doesn't natively support a fullscreen windowed mode. Sad times.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

silvergoose posted:

Have you dealt with unique key constraints in databases?

It's not that it's a coding problem, it's that making things defined as unique is really fuckin useful when designing stuff.

Yes, I'm familiar with relational databases. And I reiterate that two entities on the screen can have the same display name and model. See, for example, Hilichurls.

They don't *want* to have two Lisas on the screen because it looks silly. It is not complicated to instantiate an entity that copies the attributes from another.

The only functional argument would be two quest trigger areas overlapping so when you walk up the wrong one 'activates' - but under the current regime, you don't get to pick anyway because they disable the whole quest chain that uses the same characters. And I've had the 'overlapping trigger areas' issue happen to me in the current implementation - so they don't care enough to block that aspect.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The "fix" for all the stupidity around conflicting character placement for quest states is leaving any quests that require such a state "inactive" until the user has selected/dropped a navigation marker to that quest in their log. When that happens, the quest should go "active", and the world should reload and place characters where they need to be for that quest. Yes it can be a minor inconvenience if you misclick, get over it.

There, problem solved. That also solves the problem of stumbling across invisible quest trigger zones unexpectedly, loving up whatever you were planning on doing for the next hour because you don't want to leave characters locked since it would then be a pain in the rear end whenever the next major event drops and you have to backtrack (hi, nahida archon questline and like 3 other mainline quests in sumeru).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Devor posted:

Yes, I'm familiar with relational databases. And I reiterate that two entities on the screen can have the same display name and model. See, for example, Hilichurls.

They don't *want* to have two Lisas on the screen because it looks silly. It is not complicated to instantiate an entity that copies the attributes from another.

The only functional argument would be two quest trigger areas overlapping so when you walk up the wrong one 'activates' - but under the current regime, you don't get to pick anyway because they disable the whole quest chain that uses the same characters. And I've had the 'overlapping trigger areas' issue happen to me in the current implementation - so they don't care enough to block that aspect.
yeah it sounds bug-free and long term stable to pile up a hundred copies of NPCs and triggers in Liyue.

Why not simply spawn in eight copies of chef mao, one per quest? This is much better than the current implementation.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 29, 2022

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Tree Reformat posted:

I only have Candace and Barbara as hydros so i've been using Barbara as my onfielder, which, yeah, that's not awesome (though the double heals from Kuki and Barbara do make her pretty resilient).

My hyperbloom team has been Nahida/Kuki/Barbara/Sucrose. Sucrose does pretty much nothing except when I remember to trigger her EM share which is rare enough (things die pretty fast anyway without it). I definitely am on look out for better Hydro than Barbara as soon as one is available on banner or shop, but mulling over what to do with Sucrose - any suggestions for that flex slot?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

No Wave posted:

yeah it sounds bug-free and long term stable to pile up a hundred copies of NPCs and triggers in Liyue.

Why not simply spawn in eight copies of chef mao, one per quest? This is much better than the current implementation.

I like your version of the world where these dudes are just chilling in Liyue, instead of being spun up and destroyed every time your PC loads the zone, using your quest flags to determine which NPCs get loaded. It's much more evocative. Kind of like Tron.

Just hundreds of Paimons running around getting in trouble while we're not looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wait, who would be better for supporting on-field Nahida than XQ if what you're after is spawning cores? Yelan I guess, but they do the same thing.