Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The funny thing about portable gaming is I have absolutely no use for it, but the part of me that was enamored with it as a child just never died I guess. When I saw a gameboy for the first time the idea of having a Nintendo in your hands was just the coolest thing and I will never stop chasing that dragon. The Steam Deck being portable gaming without the limitations that have previously existed felt too cool to pass up.

But, like I never play it when I couldn't be playing on a big TV lol. And I have a gaming laptop that is more powerful than the steam deck that is already portable enough. There's just something about sitting in bed for 30 minutes or lying on the couch and playing a portable that you can't beat.

But I try to do stuff portables were meant for, like bringing them on vacation and I usually don't use them for more than 15 minutes on the whole trip cause I'm busy and you look like a toddler busting out a gaming system while adults are socializing anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t care about taking my Switch/etc out anywhere because I love being at home but portable gaming is cool for the novelty. It doesn’t have to be anything more than that. There’s nothing quite like it when it hits right. The value of the “same” activity being just different enough but still what we know and love is nice. It’s a change of pace that shifts the experience. Like hearing an album you love in a new car or jerkin’ it with your non dominant hand.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
being at home rules tbh

e: kilos please don’t become the new bust

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm glad the Deck's out there, but I just don't do portable gaming. I use travelling to make myself read more.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yeah, that's just the thing. The last portable I had was a DS and it was great. I bought it just before I moved to the UK cuz I knew I wouldnt have access to a proper TV and console for a while, and would be living in share houses where I often would just want to game in my room, but now I live in my own godamn house and if I'm gonna game it's on the tv.

Portable gaming is exclusively the realm of mtg arena :mrgw:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

e: kilos please don’t become the new bust

rude!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

everyone does it there’s no reason to shame anyone

e: portable gaming I mean

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So I did a thing tonight.

Nameless King was a tough SOB on NG++. Slave Knight Gael on NG probably took the most attempts overall. I’m still having fun and might do another NG cycle now that the platinum is done.

That’s my last Souls! Still got Elden Ring and Sekiro left for Soulsbornes. Fortunately Elden Ring happened to be on sale for Black Friday and is sitting on my desk right now. :hellyeah:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BGrifter posted:

So I did a thing tonight.

Nameless King was a tough SOB on NG++. Slave Knight Gael on NG probably took the most attempts overall. I’m still having fun and might do another NG cycle now that the platinum is done.

That’s my last Souls! Still got Elden Ring and Sekiro left for Soulsbornes. Fortunately Elden Ring happened to be on sale for Black Friday and is sitting on my desk right now. :hellyeah:

drat, nice. I know exactly how much work that trophy is. Also, you've got some good gaming ahead of you.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Okay, so y'all weren't loving around about TLOUpt1's graphics. Exploring every nook and cranny on Survivor difficulty is super rewarding, what a stunner. The new effect for spores is really good, the facial animations and reworked sound design are astounding. Gameplay wise there are subtle tweaks abound. You can now move enemies in chokeholds a few feet if you're quick about it, and smash out windows with melee to get a better shot on dudes, and AI buddies move around more tactically. Everything is animated to feel more physical than before, whether it's just a melee attack or Tess carrying a plank, and in general the movement feels like it all has a certain momentum to it. Eye adjust transition from indoors to outdoors has been improved dramatically, and haptic feel for physical stuff has a real precision to it. UI design and prompts have adopted the more unified feel of 2LOU and other recent Sony in-house titles. Great stuff.

Also, it can't be overstated how hard TLOU and Ragnarok go on accessibility options, really impressive stuff that currently feels far ahead of the rest of the industry but will probably also help advance the formalized adoption of these toolsets.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
Finished TLOU2. That was, uh, kinda intense..

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im about to get a PS5 and im looking for a good list of games to get for it. I have a gaming PC so I havent missed anything big on that. Heres what im thinking so far:

GOW:R
Horizon FW
Ratchet and Clank
Returnal
Demon Souls remake
Ghost of Sushi

any other exclusives?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brian Worms posted:

Finished TLOU2. That was, uh, kinda intense..

GOAT

and a good rec for the poster above me

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

forgot about TLOU. that series isnt really my cup of tea but ill check it out if i get through the rest of the games on my list

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Horizon forbidden west is a sequel to horizon zero dawn. Did you play that on pc? Because it's a real good game, and the plot is super fun. So you might want to play it before hfw imo

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

GOAT

and a good rec for the poster above me

Late late late game spoilers for anyone that still cares about those

Playing as Ellie, you never quite realize just how deadly she is. Playing as Abby against Ellie? THAT LITTLE GIRL IS A loving APEX PREDATOR.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Horizon forbidden west is a sequel to horizon zero dawn. Did you play that on pc? Because it's a real good game, and the plot is super fun. So you might want to play it before hfw imo

I tried to start HFW late last night after decompressing from TLOU2 a bit and I just couldn't get into it. Hoping it's temporary, but at that point in time i was not ready to have my hand held as much as HFW would like.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I loaded up the old ps2 at the weekend and it's been super fun revisiting some classics like Gitaroo Man and GTA3 and going back to an era full of nostalgia.

Started silent hill 2 as well, it's kinda janky and ugly but there's a charm to old games you don't get from modern ones.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brian Worms posted:

Late late late game spoilers for anyone that still cares about those

Playing as Ellie, you never quite realize just how deadly she is. Playing as Abby against Ellie? THAT LITTLE GIRL IS A loving APEX PREDATOR.

ahahaha yes that setpiece is terrifying

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

ya, i thought it was okay. Doubt Forbidden West will change my opinion on the series that much but it does look really pretty

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

im about to get a PS5 and im looking for a good list of games to get for it. I have a gaming PC so I havent missed anything big on that. Heres what im thinking so far:

GOW:R
Horizon FW
Ratchet and Clank
Returnal
Demon Souls remake
Ghost of Sushi

any other exclusives?

If you didn't play God of War 2018 do that before Ragnarok

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

you guys can safely assume that if i listed a sequel, then i have played the original

i have a launch ps4 that i havent played in forever except for Bloodborne

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
play Bloodborne again imo

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

does it hit 60 fps on the ps5?

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Not until you get your Insight into the triple digits.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

god bless sony for funding bloodborne's launch and god drat sony for how they handled bloodborne since

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I correctly decided not to recommend bloodborne to the pc gaming guy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Yes. it hits well over 60 frames per sitting on PS5.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I refuse to re-visit (and finally beat!) Bloodborne until we get a 60FPS version.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

veni veni veni posted:

The funny thing about portable gaming is I have absolutely no use for it, but the part of me that was enamored with it as a child just never died I guess. When I saw a gameboy for the first time the idea of having a Nintendo in your hands was just the coolest thing and I will never stop chasing that dragon. The Steam Deck being portable gaming without the limitations that have previously existed felt too cool to pass up.

But, like I never play it when I couldn't be playing on a big TV lol. And I have a gaming laptop that is more powerful than the steam deck that is already portable enough. There's just something about sitting in bed for 30 minutes or lying on the couch and playing a portable that you can't beat.

But I try to do stuff portables were meant for, like bringing them on vacation and I usually don't use them for more than 15 minutes on the whole trip cause I'm busy and you look like a toddler busting out a gaming system while adults are socializing anyways.

Exactly this, yes. I've had a switch for 2.5 years and have played it handheld for no more than 30 minutes total in that time. At home, it's preferable to play on big rear end TV and if I'm out there's usually something better or more adult-looking I could be doing.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 29, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Gay Retard posted:

I refuse to re-visit (and finally beat!) Bloodborne until we get a 60FPS version.

I was halfway through a replay when DeS remake arrived and oops now it's impossible to go back. I'll just hold out for the PS6 remake I guess.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icD-hl9W5OE
Anyone played Sable yet? It came out last year, just coming to PS5 today. Looks interesting? Review I read liked it a lot but said it was kinda buggy, but hopefully they've ironed them out for the new port?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s a very nice and relaxed little adventure but its earlier versions were plagued with technical issues, if they finally straightened it out then it’s worth a look

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just could not get into Sable at all. It's the type of thing I should enjoy but I was so bored with it I just deleted it after a couple of hours.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Same, I ditched it after a few hours. There's not much in the way of gameplay and the hovercrafts feel bad to drive. I would say it's a good chill and relax and explore game, though that depends on how you feel about the art style. I love how it looks during the day but hate now nighttime desaturates colors and makes everything look flat. And the day/night cycles are kinda long.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think Plague Tale Requiem pulled a Mass Effect 3 on me, it's mechanically good but I despised the story and ending so much I am probably done with the franchise.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The art style looks nice at a glance (even though it's just trying to look like a Moebius drawing) but I didn't think it looked all that great in the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think Plague Tale Requiem pulled a Mass Effect 3 on me, it's mechanically good but I despised the story and ending so much I am probably done with the franchise.

I think I only made it about half way but I was really starting to hate the main character. And I liked her in the first one. She is sooo loving annoying in Requiem.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Christ I just saw that Metal Gear Solid 2 came out 21 years ago today. Amazing how old it is plus how well it holds up. Now if only it could get a modern console re-release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

DualSense triggers replacing the analog face buttons for slowly letting go of square to not shoot a guy in the back of the head would be sick