Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Aces High posted:

Because I'm a huge chicken I am only on easy difficulty but I've still lost an agent or two to a closet shotgun in the first month :xcom:

Hey don't feel too bad I'm only playing on the third difficulty. I know a lot of the old X-COM LPs were done on Superhuman but. I don't have the patience for that. And hey! If you don't have Ironman turned on feel free to rewind time if you need it.

On the Subject of the magnum, I get the distinct impression that either it was designed for this mod, or that it was someone's favorite gun. Because it's one of the few guns that actually have a direct upgrade line. One day when it comes close to the endgame our gunslingers will still be using magnum-type weapons, just the upgraded version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

kaosdrachen posted:

I have had my first "grenade into the cabin of the dropship" moment the other day, and it made me feel like I've finally arrived.

... I also wonder if there's a way to put the rookies closest to the exit. I lost a couple of high-ranking agents. :/

Unless the x files mod changes it somehow, the agent starting locations are determined by their order on the craft assignment screen, so you can reorder them in the dropship by reordering them in that list. In the original skyranger the starting spots are ordered front-to-back, so if you put your rookies at the top of that list they'll start in the spots nearest the door.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Mzbundifund posted:

Unless the x files mod changes it somehow, the agent starting locations are determined by their order on the craft assignment screen, so you can reorder them in the dropship by reordering them in that list. In the original skyranger the starting spots are ordered front-to-back, so if you put your rookies at the top of that list they'll start in the spots nearest the door.

Incidentally, the person at the top of the list always starts at the pile of extra equipment. Any gear that is in your vehicle but not in use will start there. With the Car, Van, and helicopter starting position doesn't matter too much because you'll always start out in the open. The only thing that changes is which side of the vehicle you start on, and if you start standing on top of the equipment pile

Knowing where your extra equipment is can be very useful. Do your best to kit everyone out before the mission starts but. Sometimes you just have to go grab your spares. I had to do that with the Scorpion mission for example

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

glwgameplayer posted:

Knowing where your extra equipment is can be very useful. Do your best to kit everyone out before the mission starts but. Sometimes you just have to go grab your spares. I had to do that with the Scorpion mission for example

Hey, sometimes the mission just calls for a trunk full of clips and little disregard for aiming.

... at some point, will your answer to a mission just be "stand on the extra ammo and just level the map with rockets"?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Randalor posted:

... at some point, will your answer to a mission just be "stand on the extra ammo and just level the map with rockets"?

Probably not for two reasons. One, the higher tier aircraft is designed like the Skyranger so we start inside the vehicle and have to leave to fight. Two, most maps aren't really designed for easy rocket leveling.

That said, i would absolutely burn a rainforest down with the flamer if I thought I could get away with it

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
There's also three: the game has ammunition cook off if an explosive hits it. Meaning that making enemies target your stockpile like that can backfire badly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In the current absence of rocket launchers I would like to be issued with two magnums. A gun in each hand means half as much reloading.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
It's very painful to lose the entire equipment stack from a accidental explosion or fire, try to not take *too* much gear with you to avoid that happening.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Koorisch posted:

It's very painful to lose the entire equipment stack from a accidental explosion or fire, try to not take *too* much gear with you to avoid that happening.

I just reload when this poo poo happens.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

At the dusk of the 20th century there is only war.. and cautious inventory management.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
File 6: Our Enemies Step Up
*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log: May 1st to June 1st.

This month was a little rough, it’s becoming clear that there are more powerful and dangerous enemies out there we need to be careful of. We can’t afford to sit on our laurels and think we’re strong enough for them. The first example of this was the encounter Koorish had with a beast we’re titled an Owlman.

I don’t even know what to say about these mutants anymore. They clearly aren’t natural but I don’t understand what they are and how they exist. Koorisch was lucky enough to take it in alive, although it tried to give him a nasty slash with its talons too

There were a lot of miscellaneous research projects going on at this time. Mostly weapon tests and researching stable supplies of more of them. However, we also interrogated one of the higher rank members of Black Lotus. He was awfully resistant, but we managed to get a basic outline of Black Lotus’s network

This had nothing to do with us, but it was good for us in a way. Someone with an alien device got caught trying to do… something in an important UN building with an alien device. This is clear-cut proof that what we’re doing is important, and has gotten us some additional support

This is one of the additional weapons that the staff can get their hands on now. Flashbang Grenades. They aren’t perfect obviously, a downed opponent is better than one which is staggered, but they can be very useful for making hard targets more vulnerable and less deadly

(This was partly bad luck, and partly me playing sloppily. I haven’t been keeping on top of everyone’s equipment, hence Cato needing to get close with a small shotgun)

On one of our routine cult apprehensions, something horrible happened. Instead of the usual 2 Red Dawn members we expected there were 5 of them who ambushed the car. I’Cato Sicarius got shot in the side and bled out a minute later.

The fact that Koorisch made it out is a sign of his skills, but he didn’t seem proud of himself at all. After this we all resolved to be more careful, and try to bring everyone home alive if we can.

The Info Officer finally finished one of her projects, setting up flying training courses for the agents. And since a couple of us are now licensed to pilot, we can get our hands on proper helicopters, just small ones for now

(I think Koorisch is cursed/blessed because he keeps coming out unscathed and his partner comes out shot to hell)

The next mission Koorisch went on tried to end the same way as the other one, with his partner being shot by many members of Red Dawn. But this time his partner Drakenel made it out alive, just barely

(this was just plain luck. Drakenel got shot in the side 3 times with an SMG and survived with one HP.)

After this was one of the biggest missions we’ve ever taken. The police had caught wind of a monster next and were trying to take it out. Dak just got his helicopter license and flew out there with 5 others. Dak Thornson, Hound Smith, Ice Mole, Burnt Toast, Nick Danger, and the Lone Badger were on this team

Hound Smith: There are spiders all over the drat place! One right in front of us too. Let’s see how this new shotgun handles

Hound Smith: I’m satisfied. That said there’s an even gianter giant spider over here so I could use some help
Ice Mole: This hunting rifle is made to deal with big game. So if I can line this up right...

Ice Mole: I got it in one shot!
Burnt Toast: Hang on this was supposed to be a group venture with the police right? Where are they?

(The police started 20 tiles away from us, huddled in a circle and surrounded by spiders. No amount of strategy was going to save them. It was up to lady luck and RNGesus.)

Burnt Toast: … They’re gonna die aren’t they.
Dak Thornson: It’s highly likely yes

This prediction turned out to be true to a startling degree. Several of the Police Officers missed their shots, one even shot his own friend in a panic. And the giant spiders continued to rampage. We discovered that some of them have… unusual abilities

Burnt Toast: That red spider just spat a bunch of napalm all over the police!
Nick Danger: Is it wrong of me that I’m glad that the police are on the receiving end of this instead of us?
Dak Thornson: It’s a little selfish of you but honestly? Me too.

Hound Smith: I feel bad for these guys. No one deserves to be set on fire by a giant arachnid.
Ice Mole: I wonder how they got surrounded like that? I mean once we cleared out the spiders around them no one has gotten hurt since
Dak Thornson: Well, they’re not trained for this while we are and they didn't know what they were getting into. Also honestly, I am grateful for their help.

(Honestly our allies did a pretty good job killing the spiders. I wish they didn’t, you know. Die in droves to achieve it though)

Dak Thornson: What a loving massacre…

The next Mission saw Koorisch and Mac facing an old friend of ours

Koorisch: Every time we’ve fought these things before we’ve had to run. Not this time. Mac! Back me up!
Mac: Got it!

They killed the one out in the open pretty easily. But as soon as they turned back around

Koorisch: Crap we drove right into a colony of them… They can only hurt us if they get too close. Pick a target and open fire!

With a hail of bullets they managed to destroy the Mongorns that came into view, but one of them managed to make it around the hill and…

Mac: I’m the one with the shotgun! Take a step back I’ll handle it!

And so he did

Koorisch: Hey Mac?
Mac: Yeah?
Koorisch: I’ll see the commander about getting you a promotion.

As if to balance out the defeat of one of our long-time enemies, the Church of Dagon had to step in and shove us back. For some reason, despite our best efforts, the Church of Dagon has been evading our grasp. We haven’t even met anyone higher on the food chain than their lowest-tier soldiers.

I know we haven’t actually deployed any dogs yet but Gasopode the Wonder Dog and Velvet are currently in training, and we picked up some combat armor for them. I’m slightly skeptical about their performance but… We’ll see.

The accountant had some very illuminating comments to make about our budget. Particularly the 2000-dollar mag lights. So… we went behind the council’s back and got our hands on some dollar store flashlights. They’re weaker but like, way cheaper.

We also looked into one of our mutants, as carefully as we could. The Werecat is a fusion of human and animal DNA which is, clearly not natural but we have no understanding of why it was made and by who.

The next mission that came up was… a bit of a problem. A huge problem. We sent the same crew used for the Giant Spider mission. Zombies aren’t very smart and they don’t have any self-preservation instincts but there were a lot of them and they singlemindedly charged the helicopter.

(This is the kind of situation spray and pray weapons excel at. Dak managed to hit all but one of these zombies once with his SMG)

Dak Thornson: They’re trying to swarm us! Focus on the enemy closest to you!

Nick Danger: I can keep this one off us with a little firewall. Everyone stand clear!

(This Zombie somehow survived being shot like, 6 times in this turn despite being on fire. I just barely managed to kill it)

Nick Danger: IT’S ON FIRE HOW IS IT ALIVE?
Hound Smith: I’ll take care of it!

In the end the zombies went down easily enough due to their mindless charging, but they were dangerous for their durability and sheer number.

The Helicoper crew also went to bust up an EXALT base, and that one went cleanly enough since they managed to sneak up on the base and do this

Badger managed to gun two of them down with auto fire before Dak swapped in and killed most of the rest. It was easily cleaned up from there and we managed to catch an EXALT Goon (which is a surprisingly higher rank than EXALT Infiltrator)

From the info we got from the Back Lotus Footman we managed to put together some more info on Black Lotus and their plans. With this info we may be able to attack targets higher on the totem pole.

And then… I had a weird dream. I had a dream that the Helicopter was used to assault an EXALT base, but this time it was at night. I wasn’t there but for some reason, I could see our team there getting methodically picked apart by EXALT

That morning the commander announced that one of our missions had been passed onto the Council salvagers. An EXALT safehouse in America. It’s… just a coincidence, right?

(This was entirely my mistake. I sent the helicopter to deal with it without thinking about travel time making it a night mission. Night missions suck. I did us all a favor and rewound time.)

Someone new arrived on base today, a Xenologist. We sent him information about the Werecat from before and he announced that he would arrive as soon as he settled his business. He seems very, very interested in any info on mutants we can get him. He practically flew into the animal pen to see the Owlman and Werecat.

We also finally pieced together what info we could about EXALT from the people we interrogated. Just like with Black Lotus, this info will make us more dangerous to them, and let us target higher-ranking members of their group

This month didn’t go as badly as it could have gone but it did make some things clear. We can’t afford to be complacent. We need to step up and be stronger if we’re going to defeat the mutants, or the cults.

This is Captain Sunny, Signing Off.

(LPer Notes)

I’ll be honest. I didn’t expect the game to suddenly ramp up, but I should have. Much like in normal X-COM games, the enemy gradually increases in difficulty as time passes. Specifically, missions are replaced by more imposing versions of those missions as time goes on. As you can see, now our Suspect missions have a chance of spawning way more gang members than before. The other way that missions become more difficult, is with Arc Progress. Or as I like to call it, pissing off the enemy.

For example, I have researched the EXALT and Black Lotus networks. By doing so, I have angered both of them, and given us a higher chance of seeing more dangerous and rewarding variants of their missions. That means theoretically I could delay researching the others networks to delay angering them and being forced to do the hardest missions they have to offer.

I will not be doing that, because if I get all 4 networks down I can recruit the military envoy, who’s going to give us some good stuff, and will help unlock our next promotion.

Speaking of, I guess I should tell you. The prerequisite for the first promotion was to have researched the 4 cults and dissected a strange creature. The prerequisite for this one is to acquire four more staff members. We already have the Xenologist, whose prerequisite is having captured and studied a strange creature. You know about the Military Envoy, who requires researching the networks for the 4 cults. The two we have left are the Chief Engineer and Chief Researcher

The Chief Engineer requires a cool alien gadget. Luckily for us, the Psiclone that EXALT uses counts for us. So does a handful of other tools that the higher-tier cults use, so we don’t have to go find an alien thank god. The Chief Researcher requires studying an alien fuel trace (what we’ve been gathering from our various crop circle missions) and research into mutant physiology (which once again requires a live mutant)

After we’ve done these things we can recruit the characters in question, who unlock various other things including our next promotion.

There won’t be an armory section this time because I neglected to grab pictures of the AK-47 and the Hunting rifle. Sorry, I'll get those next time I sit down to record

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 4, 2022

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

do you have to research the weapons you get on missions, like in UFO Defense and TFTD? Or are you able to field all the AKs you find immediately and the research is just "filing the paperwork" so you can requisition more for a base?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Darn it, my submission died before we even got to explosives.

The joke was that one playthrough of Xcom I followed had a unit named "I, Cato Sicarius" fumble a Blaster Launcher shot and ended up killing nearly the entire squad at the start of their Cydonia run. Thus a lot of people would submit the name "I, Cato Sicarius" in subsequent runs hoping for similar results.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Aces High posted:

do you have to research the weapons you get on missions, like in UFO Defense and TFTD? Or are you able to field all the AKs you find immediately and the research is just "filing the paperwork" so you can requisition more for a base?

The later, you can use the guns you find/loot but you won't have stats for them or a way to buy ammo. That being said AKs and the like have 30 round mags so you can clear most missions without having to change magazines unless there's a lot of enemies or you are auto firing a lot.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Delphisage posted:

Sorry! For some reason, Koorisch's partners have all been cursed this session. Even after Cato was already gone on the very next mission Koorisch's partner got shot to one HP. Again.

Aces High posted:

You can use all normal human weapons that you pick up as soon as you have them in your hands. The first research unlocks the UFOpedia page showing you their damage, accuracy, weight, and other statistics. The second research lets you buy them. So if you pick up an AK the first research gives you it's stats, the second (helpfully titles AK Acquisition) allows you to purchase them.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Delphisage posted:

The joke was that one playthrough of Xcom I followed had a unit named "I, Cato Sicarius" fumble a Blaster Launcher shot and ended up killing nearly the entire squad at the start of their Cydonia run. Thus a lot of people would submit the name "I, Cato Sicarius" in subsequent runs hoping for similar results.

Wait until explosives are researched and submit "II, Cato Sicarius".

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You spelled my name wrong a few times, but that's not a huge deal.

Also goddamnit, Koorish. Why you so cursed?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Drakenel posted:

Probably because my name is misspelled! :v:

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 29, 2022

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Drakenel posted:

Koorisch posted:

Probably because my name is misspelled! :v:

:doh:

Guess who feels like a dumbass! It's this guy! Sorry. I'll try and go back and fix those. I can't really do anything if I misspelled in the game itself though

Justtoreadthanks
Aug 23, 2021
The going is getting tough, but you’re handling the missions better than I did when I tried this mod. FTL is right: giant spiders are no joke, whether they’re alien or terrestrial. The weapons do get better, thankfully. Less “off the shelf from a West Virginia gun store” and more “If you can’t recognize this weapon, you are not cleared to ask.”

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Just recorded another in-game month and guess what? Still no Church of Dagon Network. I'm starting to become increasingly worried that we'll have to wait an extremely long time to get the next promotion because the Church of Dagon refuses to play ball

Justtoreadthanks posted:

The going is getting tough, but you’re handling the missions better than I did when I tried this mod. FTL is right: giant spiders are no joke, whether they’re alien or terrestrial. The weapons do get better, thankfully. Less “off the shelf from a West Virginia gun store” and more “If you can’t recognize this weapon, you are not cleared to ask.”

I guess I should mention, this isn't an ironman playthrough, and I am occasionally reverting to an earlier save if I make a terrible mistake. I've been using it pretty sparingly, the only one I remember off the top of my head is when I went to that EXALT base at night and just. Decided that I didn't want to do it.

I am pretty good at these missions but that's more from experience. I've been around the block ibce so I kinda know what I'm dealing with. Don't worry, at some point I'll get out of the known territory and it'll become terrifying again

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Kinda surprised you're down on dogs, personally they've been my MVPs up through May of 1998 and also literally the only way I've beaten any of the limited equipment missions. Or some of the big setpiece battles where I basically hid my squad in a closet and park a dog on each side of the door to murder the enemies on reaction as they slowly trickle in.

They absolutely clean up on any map that forces you into a knife fight, especially once some commendations start rolling in. I think my record so far is one dog chain-killing 6 dudes who were bunched up due to some lucky damage rolls. Not as good on open maps or against groups of monsters, but even then they have uses in scouting since they have the scanner and way better night vision than humans if you want to night raid some cults.

I think I've played like... 5 missions total without a dog since I unlocked them.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 29, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

What we need now is some giant spider hawks to take the battle to the next stage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

By popular demand posted:

What we need now is some giant spider hawks to take the battle to the next stage.

Would we be fighting them, or would they be predating the spiders?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If they don't attack spiders then they are hardly spider hawks are they?

Plain old wasps are old hat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

...did my character die or get seriously wounded? Sorry if this sounds passive-aggressive, I just haven't seen hide nor hair of Sam.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Samovar posted:

...did my character die or get seriously wounded? Sorry if this sounds passive-aggressive, I just haven't seen hide nor hair of Sam.

Probably wounded judging by the actions on the 25th of Nov.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Samovar posted:

You got shot by the Homicidal Maniac last month. I know I downplayed the damage in the story by saying "the vest stopped the worst of it" but in actuality it took you down to like, 10-20 Health and 2 fatal wounds. Once you got back to base you had a pretty long recovery time. I think you were done healing partway through this month, but I usually don't edit teams that much unless one of their is injured and needs a healthy replacement

Worry not! You will return in the next recording.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

glwgameplayer posted:

I think you were done healing partway through this month, but I usually don't edit teams that much unless one of their is injured and needs a healthy replacement

Worry not! You will return in the next recording.

... well, those two sentences back-to-back certainly don't sound ominous.

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
Napalm spiders - because why not make the giant spiders even more horrifying!

Looking forward to when some dogs get into a mission - very curious to see how they fare!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Just a question, do you try to heal fatal wounds before ending the mission?

It does help a bit to lower the recovery time.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Koorisch posted:

Just a question, do you try to heal fatal wounds before ending the mission?

It does help a bit to lower the recovery time.

I do if there's a medic easily available. I don't if there isn't anyone nearby to do it. Removing fatal wounds helps with recovery time but if I fumble for too long on the mission letting them bleed before healing them I think I've still lost time

WizardOfWhispers posted:

Napalm spiders - because why not make the giant spiders even more horrifying!

Looking forward to when some dogs get into a mission - very curious to see how they fare!

You'll see~ I actually did use a dog for the first time in the last recording session and it went better than expected.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

glwgameplayer posted:

You'll see~ I actually did use a dog for the first time in the last recording session and it went better than expected.

"It... it was horrific. Bessie charged at the napalm spiders and they spat on her"
"Oh... oh God, the poor dog"
"No, you don't understand. She kept charging. She was on fire and tore through them. She... she came back for head pats with one of their legs in her mouth. While on fire."

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Randalor posted:

"It... it was horrific. Bessie charged at the napalm spiders and they spat on her"
"Oh... oh God, the poor dog"
"No, you don't understand. She kept charging. She was on fire and tore through them. She... she came back for head pats with one of their legs in her mouth. While on fire."

"I fail to see the problem here; all I see is a good girl who deserves all the headpats, don't you girl? Yes you do~, yes you do~, such a good girlll~, yesss~!"

":wtc:"

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I guess I should warn you guys. The end of my college semester is coming up so there might be a delay in the LP for the next week or two as I scramble around scratching pieces of my brain out trying to finish essays and final exams.

After that it should be smooth sailing

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Worry not, we'll live. Besides, this might help prevent burnout to some degree.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yeah, concentrate on your studies first and foremost, chief. You're not OBLIGATED to do this, remember.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I know. I just wanted to give you guys a heads-up so I don't vanish into the ether out of nowhere

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Blink in code if you are detained by an alien controlled global conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

been plugging away at my easy run and I am a couple research things away from promotion 1, but I am already getting "investigation" missions where I immediately have to bail because all the game will allow me to equip are the maglites and I spawn in front of several shotgun wielding enemies :stonk: