Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Silly Newbie posted:

Who is this?

Generally he's called Cosmic Ghost Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rarely have I been so owned

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Got a genuine :lol: out of me. Sorry for the wild example, the usual loud dumbasses on social media raising hell (:smug: :haw:) about the recent lady Pinhead is still fairly fresh in my mind.

I'm pretty sure that character was like, genderless/androgynous in the original Clive Barker story?

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Nov 29, 2022

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

Byzantine posted:

If you haven't burned down half of your own capital in a sports riot, can you even pretend to be European?

They could be from Philly

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

nerd plus rage posted:

They could be from Philly

Love is riotous indeed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/MuskTillDawn/status/1597479164197883904?s=20&t=lv0_5ZlHlY2bcaB_MNIPuQ

I love that modern techie guys have managed to re-invent all of the worst parts of Christianity, without the spirituality or even giving lip service to Jesus message of kindness and generosity.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
And thus I spake unto him, Lord God, creator of Creation, father of man, most high above us, prove your most almighty powers, turn thine Cheetos into Flamin' Hot Cheetos, and I shall believe the rest of my days.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/MuskTillDawn/status/1597479164197883904?s=20&t=lv0_5ZlHlY2bcaB_MNIPuQ

I love that modern techie guys have managed to re-invent all of the worst parts of Christianity, without the spirituality or even giving lip service to Jesus message of kindness and generosity.

It reminds me of the whole Roko's Basilisk thing, which is really just Catholicism by way of tech nonsense all over again. It's even got the whole "Oh yeah the omnipotent AI is actually totally benevolent, it just condemns people to eternal hyper torture because it's so benevolent" thing going on. :allears:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Why is his bedside table tiled? Does he sleep in a bathroom?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Perestroika posted:

It reminds me of the whole Roko's Basilisk thing, which is really just Catholicism by way of tech nonsense all over again. It's even got the whole "Oh yeah the omnipotent AI is actually totally benevolent, it just condemns people to eternal hyper torture because it's so benevolent" thing going on. :allears:

There's techies that, no poo poo, self describe as "Secular Calvinists."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Perestroika posted:

I really appreciate the novel Company Town for having a climax where the protagonist meets Roko’s Basilisk, goes “no this is really loving stupid” and beats the absolute poo poo out of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

See also Effective Altruism, which is just prosperity gospel minus god and approached from a different angle. Instead of "God made me rich because I'm good" it's "I need to be rich so I can do good."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

That's one hell of a buttplug Musk has on that table

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Read After Burning posted:

Got a genuine :lol: out of me. Sorry for the wild example, the usual loud dumbasses on social media raising hell (:smug: :haw:) about the recent lady Pinhead is still fairly fresh in my mind.

I'm pretty sure that character was like, genderless/androgynous in the original Clive Barker story?

She was so good in the movie I hope she turned some of those idiots around. They’ve recast pinhead twice now and they were both bland and Jamie Clayton comes and actually brings back that sense of authority and menace with her Pinhead while also giving the character some personality

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Read After Burning posted:

Yes, and with an explicitly female voice to boot. From the original novella:

The Hellbound Heart posted:

"Do you understand?" the figure beside the first speaker demanded. Its voice, unlike that of
its companion, was light and breathy-the voice of an excited girl. Every inch of its head had been
tattooed with an intricate grid, and at every intersection of horizontal and vertical axes a jeweled
pin driven through to the bone. Its tongue was similarly decorated. "Do you even know who we
are?" it asked.

I've always found it amusing that Pinhead has come to be known for his deep, menacing voice, when he is supposed to sound like an excited girl.

*Excited girl voice* "We have such sights to show you!!!"

I've heard mixed things about the new movie, though. Is it worth watching?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SimonChris posted:

It's better than the vast majority of the Hellraiser sequels, but... no.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I want a version of the original Hellraiser that's exactly the same but someone with a valley girl accent dubs over all of Pinhead's lines.

"Like, okay, we have such sights to show you."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

worse, vtuber voice

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Skwirl posted:

I want a version of the original Hellraiser that's exactly the same but someone with a valley girl accent dubs over all of Pinhead's lines.

"Like, okay, we have such sights to show you."

this would be a considerably better watch than at least 7 of the hellraiser movies

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

just gonna publicly admit to crimes in an fb comment section and show that I still have and use the same set of tools, why not?

Besides the obvious Lockpicking Lawyer joke, what's the statute of limitations on that? I imagine if he were convicted they'd have confiscated the set, but who knows

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Besides the obvious Lockpicking Lawyer joke, what's the statute of limitations on that? I imagine if he were convicted they'd have confiscated the set, but who knows

It varies wildly depending on what state they live in (aside from murder, there's no statute of limitations on murder in any state AFAIK) but for burglary 15 years ago he's probably fine. Also, they'd have to actually tie him to a specific crime. You can't arrest someone for saying "I broke into houses fifteen years ago" without some sort of evidence they broke into a specific house, and also cops don't give a poo poo about crimes that happened 15 years ago.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If a cop catches you with lockpicks in public for any reason in any context whatsoever, they'll get you with intent and it would be challenging to fight that in court. Doesn't even matter if it's legal to own them in your state. Cops are not required to know the law and it's no problem for them to explain away arresting and charging you with a crime.

Regardless, states where it's definitely illegal: Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia have a thing called "prima facie" which means "guilty until proven innocent" when it comes to posessing lockpicking tools. You have to prove you aren't going to use them for anything illegal, which is a hell of a thing to do in court. Mississippi claims they are legal unless you "conceal them." So they'll get you for having them in your pocket. Potentially even having them in a case like that image above as well if the cop wants to gently caress with you.

Now that guy bragging about owning lockpicks and having robbed houses prior is a good way to be targeted by cops. They'll use that facebook post to prove intent if they were to later find him with those outside of his house.

Zesty has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Nov 29, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bogus Adventure posted:

Well, with Marvel's Thor you only need the hammer. Beta Ray Bill exists (and is the best Thor).

trap sprung but technically Beta Ray Bill does not have the hammer, since it's Stormbreaker and not Mjolnir, right

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

SimonChris posted:

It's in the top 3, as far as Hellraisers go. Nothing incredible, it changes the lore around the Box a bit, but at least the Cenobites look good.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the hellraiser comics had a lady pinhead and some of those were pretty terrific

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

trap sprung but technically Beta Ray Bill does not have the hammer, since it's Stormbreaker and not Mjolnir, right

He is capable of wielding Mjolnir, Stormbreaker being made as substitute since he had proven worthy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Skwirl posted:

"Like, okay, we have such sights to show you?"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Skwirl posted:

It varies wildly depending on what state they live in (aside from murder, there's no statute of limitations on murder in any state AFAIK) but for burglary 15 years ago he's probably fine. Also, they'd have to actually tie him to a specific crime. You can't arrest someone for saying "I broke into houses fifteen years ago" without some sort of evidence they broke into a specific house, and also cops don't give a poo poo about crimes that happened 15 years ago.

Right, the bigger issue is probable cause, and making themselves an easy target for police harassment, or of course if they're actively breaking into things still this potentially getting them on radar.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

some plague rats posted:

Neopronouns are insanely stupid but so is everything else teenagers do so who cares honestly

Thanks my pronouns are exclusively xie/xyr from now on

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
My neopronouns are 'whoa' and 'I know kung fu'

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Oh wow, a frog with a gun and a katana. How anti-woke.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Do you think PETA is so consistently off with it's messaging for the same reason that the scam emails are off with their spelling.

Like they know their past actions of letting owned dogs out at Crufts to get run over, or straight up euthanising dogs en masse are never going to get them the support of actual leftists, so they put out this weird bullshit to find people gullible enough to support them?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's literally all outrage bait/shock value and has been for decades. the reaction posts like that get from people like us, is the reason that they make posts like that.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Whatever the past goals of PETA were, current PETA is just using their cause as an excuse to post as much vore publicly as they can legally get away with

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

alexandriao posted:

Do you think PETA is so consistently off with it's messaging for the same reason that the scam emails are off with their spelling.

Like they know their past actions of letting owned dogs out at Crufts to get run over, or straight up euthanising dogs en masse are never going to get them the support of actual leftists, so they put out this weird bullshit to find people gullible enough to support them?

They truly believe in the mantra of 'all press is good press' despite it making them routinely look ridiculous and making most vegans cringe.

Its gotten to the point where sometimes its hard to tell if they are joking to get a rise or being sincere. Like that campaign they did to get people to stop using certain phrases like "two birds with one stone" and "be the guinea-pig", comparing it to racist and homophobic language. But regardless, it made headlines and for them they think that makes people more likely to go vegan.....somehow.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There's no way PETA isn't an op.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I am aware the actual philosophy behind PETA is that it is good for animals to die because living under human control is intrinsically wrong, they are literally better off dead than living under humans, which is why they kill so many of them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

As far as I am aware the actual philosophy behind PETA is that it is good for animals to die because living under human control is intrinsically wrong, they are literally better off dead than living under humans, which is why they kill so many of them.
Have they considered that they themselves are animals under human control?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You want the VHEMT for that. Although they at least generally just say you should stop making more humans rather than kill the current ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You are correct. This is their literal philosophy.