Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Failed Imagineer posted:

You can just say "the pub '

It was the Irish Club actually how dare you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think those are called shillelaghs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always call them knobkerries.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's like Berghain but you have to be wearing the right kind of flat -cap to get in

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

That's a massive upswing in people stating they don't have a religion from 15% to 37% and a shocking increase of Islam from 5% of the population.... to 6.5%.

Weird how figures are presented in the way most likely to get folk mad at minorities.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

tired: Derry/Londonderry

Inspired: Kerry/Knobkerry

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Fair enough that the Brits have forsaken God, when God has long ago forsaken Britain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Time to give Brutus and the fishmen another go.

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's a massive upswing in people stating they don't have a religion from 15% to 37% and a shocking increase of Islam from 5% of the population.... to 6.5%.
FIFTY PERCENT increase in ISLAM as Mo and Sara move in to number 19!

Failed Imagineer posted:

tired: Derry/Londonderry

Inspired: Kerry/Knobkerry
:discourse:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

keep punching joe posted:

You're allowed to be English, it's not illegal yet.

These days etc.

I always go with British because my granny's from Norn Iron and my partner's Welsh and my brother and sister grew up in Scotland and it just feels better.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I go with British because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRIP0vBtcBg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Still better than god saves the king

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Good lad, FridgeFancier.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Nice one Owl, that was a very chill thing of you to do.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Ah, the English tribute to Ireland's Call.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
When is OBON day 2022?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Churches like the one my mother in-law goes to- there is essentially no-one under 60-70 years old regularly attending and not only are finances already stretched, there's fewer and fewer congregants capable of the background running of the church and its gradually winding down towards nothing- the only new congregants in years have been from other churches that stopped existing

It's in contrast to some of the catholic and non-denominational places which are often looking busy come a sunday morning

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Note the use of a numbered amount for one, and a percentage for the other. That should be enough to tell you that the Muslim number is probably small, and they just don't want to reveal that because it doesn't fit the narrative..

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Kokoro Wish posted:

Note the use of a numbered amount for one, and a percentage for the other. That should be enough to tell you that the Muslim number is probably small, and they just don't want to reveal that because it doesn't fit the narrative..

I think it tells you both, doesn't it?

quote:

The census revealed a 5.5 million drop in the number of Christians and a 1.2 million rise in the number of people following Islam, bringing the Muslim population to 3.9 million. The changes equate to a 17% fall in the number of Christians and a 44% increase in the number of Muslims. It is the first time in a census of England and Wales that fewer than half of the population have described themselves as Christian.

Corollary: I am very tired.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've got COVID. I should just spend as much time as possible lying down under a blanket, right? Minimum exertion? I've been training my entire life for this

e: plus lots of fluids and take paracetamol for fever, usual cold and flu management stuff

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like in this day and age the combination of scandals in the church, the increasing marriage of the most vocal parts of christianity with the political far right, and the dragging of feet trying to get the nominally less poo poo varieties to catch up with changing social mores, it's hard to see why anyone would want a church.

Like even if I felt the need, my choice is between institutions who hate me and institutions which are transparently only attempting to seem like they don't because pf social pressure, which itself undermines the claim to divine moral authority if you are obviously subject to the same social pressure as everybody else and will go so far as to change doctrine because of that. That's fine for a temporal ethical system but it makes very little sense for an organization claiming to speak for god and to know what he wants us to do.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 29, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tarnop posted:

I've got COVID. I should just spend as much time as possible lying down under a blanket, right? Minimum exertion? I've been training my entire life for this

e: plus lots of fluids and take paracetamol for fever, usual cold and flu management stuff

You could see if you're eligible for treatments like Paxlovid, yanks love that stuff. NHS guidance on who can get it is here.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tarnop posted:

Yes. The more you rest, the less time it will take to get over, and the less chance of ongoing complications.

I'm being extremely serious. Don't try to work through it. Rest, rest, rest. Then more rest.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tarnop posted:

I recently got over COVID, first time. Caught it on my wedding and spent my honeymoon with it :)

For me it was very similar to a bad cold, paracetamol and ibuprofen helped immensely. It just lasted longer than a cold normally would for me. Day 2 and 3 were the worst, the rest were just annoying.

One important thing is just because you feel cold, doesn't mean you are. I kept trying to wrap myself up when I was 38.4c, with my new wife repeatedly ripping blankets off me despite my pleas.

I was negative after 5 days but maintained mild symptoms for a further week.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That is a hell of a title. The whole article seems tailored to conflate religion with ethnicity and scare the gammons into thinking Islam is taking over. The way it hops back and forth across different percentages to misrepresent the highest figures reminds me of UKIP electioneering where they'll talk about a "900% increase in ethnicity in this village" because one black family moved in.

It also hugely misrepresents the diversity in places like Brum & Leicester when it also quotes country wide stats like "81.7% of the population is now white, including non-British, down from 86% in 2011, 9.3% is Asian British, up from 7.5%, 2.5% is Black, Black British, Black Welsh, Caribbean-African and African, up from 1.8%, and 1.6% are other ethnicities."

That's hardly white people being overrun, but the opening paragraphs are pretty carefully written that way, especially the bits about the 44% increase in muslims and 17% fall of Christians. Twats are going to take that stat and Birmingham & Luton being over 50% minority ethnic (sir, you're going to need a new dogwhistle for that), and run with it. I can almost feel the Farage speech being written off the back of this.

Key point seems to be: "Meanwhile, 37.2% of people – 22.2 million – declared they had “no religion”, the second most common response after Christian. It means that over the past 20 years the proportion of people reporting no religion has soared from 14.8%. [...] And places with a higher proportion of white population also have a bigger proportion of people with no religion."

So this is not the country being taken over by Islam, this is the country being taken over by atheists and guardian writers not understanding graphs again.

The graphic then goes on to clarify that Islam represents less than 10% of the population but the preceeding paragraphs are very carefully tailored to make it seem like Islam is taking over. It's the writer showing their arse bias-wise bringing up race and religion stats in this way and misrepresenting both.

"Ushering in a new age of city-wide “super diversity”, the ONS data showed 59.1% of the people of Leicester are now from ethnic minority groups, a big change since 1991, when black and minority ethnic people made up just over a quarter of the city’s residents [...] Minority ethnic people also make up more than half the population in Luton (54.8%) and Birmingham (51.4%), the UK’s second largest city where 20 years ago seven out of 10 people were white."

I would be looking at this and wondering why we seem to have siloed all of the non-white population into 2 or 3 cities.

DesperateDan posted:

Churches like the one my mother in-law goes to- there is essentially no-one under 60-70 years old regularly attending and not only are finances already stretched, there's fewer and fewer congregants capable of the background running of the church and its gradually winding down towards nothing- the only new congregants in years have been from other churches that stopped existing
Something in Britain tailoring itself exclusively to a small pool of gradually dying off pensioners, excluding anyone younger than 50 because the older ones start screaming about tradition and the institution is afraid to lose its core audience, diminishing though they are? Well I never!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gort posted:

You could see if you're eligible for treatments like Paxlovid, yanks love that stuff. NHS guidance on who can get it is here.

Cheers, I'd forgotten that you're meant to report the test result which is a prerequisite for treatment so I've done that. I don't think I'm eligible but I did get invited for a fourth vaccination (which I had 10 days ago thankfully) so who knows

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think before a certain point (not sure when exactly) I had never even thought about british vs english. Most of my (english) friends would say have said similar. I would have probably answered "both" and thought it was a weird question.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Barry Foster posted:

Yes. The more you rest, the less time it will take to get over, and the less chance of ongoing complications.

I'm being extremely serious. Don't try to work through it. Rest, rest, rest. Then more rest.

Mega Comrade posted:

I recently got over COVID, first time. Caught it on my wedding and spent my honeymoon with it :)

For me it was very similar to a bad cold, paracetamol and ibuprofen helped immensely. It just lasted longer than a cold normally would for me. Day 2 and 3 were the worst, the rest were just annoying.

One important thing is just because you feel cold, doesn't mean you are. I kept trying to wrap myself up when I was 38.4c, with my new wife repeatedly ripping blankets off me despite my pleas.

I was negative after 5 days but maintained mild symptoms for a further week.

Thanks for the advice friends! I've never been so happy to be unemployed, I can limit my exertions to washing up and feeding the cat. I've got a thermometer so I can keep track of my temperature since there's no one here to take my blankets away

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Maugrim posted:

:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Report, October 2022 :siren:

Donate:
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

Quoting the relevant part of this post for the benefit of Darth Walrus

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

When is OBON day 2022?

Isn't Obon already a thing in Japan

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

this is the country being taken over by atheists and guardian writers
Definitely emigrating now. :v:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"Ushering in a new age of city-wide “super diversity”, the ONS data showed 59.1% of the people of Leicester are now from ethnic minority groups, a big change since 1991, when black and minority ethnic people made up just over a quarter of the city’s residents [...] Minority ethnic people also make up more than half the population in Luton (54.8%) and Birmingham (51.4%), the UK’s second largest city where 20 years ago seven out of 10 people were white."

I would be looking at this and wondering why we seem to have siloed all of the non-white population into 2 or 3 cities.
I remember racists saying that the minute that it hit 51% "we'll be in the minority now" and never really having a good answer to who exactly would be in the majority other than "not us" or "them".

Because of course it is well known that Black British, African-Caribbean, African, British Indian, British Pakistani, British Bangladeshi, British East Asian, British Arab/North African etc. all turn into BAMEtron to oppress whitey with their massive whip hand the second that there's less than 49.9% rather than being people with widely differing communities and personal lives.

OwlFancier posted:

That's fine for a temporal ethical system but it makes very little sense for an organization claiming to speak for god and to know what he wants us to do.
Some people just like the songs and statues. I imagine the 20-odd percent of Bishops who aren't sure if there is a god fall into that group.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The wobblies nicked plenty of church hymns and improved the words if you just like the songs :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not many statues though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UMhh7myVDQ

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Because of course it is well known that Black British, African-Caribbean, African, British Indian, British Pakistani, British Bangladeshi, British East Asian, British Arab/North African etc. all turn into BAMEtron to oppress whitey with their massive whip hand the second that there's less than 49.9% rather than being people with widely differing communities and personal lives.
I mean Indian & Pakistani get lumped together under 'south asian' all the time, when they are two hugely different cultures that remain passionately unaligned on a wide range of issues.

It just feels like there's something massively racist about starting with a headline about christians being in the minority, and then slipping seamlessly into fudged stats about race that lump all of the brown people into one monoculture.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Nilbop posted:

I think it tells you both, doesn't it?

quote:

The census revealed a 5.5 million drop in the number of Christians and a 1.2 million rise in the number of people following Islam, bringing the Muslim population to 3.9 million. The changes equate to a 17% fall in the number of Christians and a 44% increase in the number of Muslims. It is the first time in a census of England and Wales that fewer than half of the population have described themselves as Christian.

Corollary: I am very tired.

I think the main thing missing here is the number of Christians. If it said: "bringing the Muslim population to 3.9 million and the Christian population to 27.5 million" (or the percentages: 6.5% Muslim, 46.2% Christian) it would make it a lot clearer that Christians were still a much larger group. Honestly putting Muslims in the same paragraph is probably a bad idea anyway, you want to think about the people whose eyes glaze over when they see a number and just see "fall in Christians" and "rise in Muslims" and their prejudicial gland goes from there

More bad reporting:

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1597529213657120768

:eng101: The white population increased! The white race is doing just fine! (sadly.) Their proportion declined! Very slightly!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Astrologers proclaim week of the terrible articles, white population increased!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/29/labour-leadership-internal-candidates-democracy-prospective-mps

quote:

This week, the former shadow chancellor John McDonnell wrote to Starmer about what he described as “mounting allegations about abuse and malpractice” during candidate selections – allegations that he said had already been raised with Starmer by multiple MPs. The allegations, he wrote, “are that selection procedures are being manipulated to prevent candidates being selected who are on the left, centre left or who may prevent a favoured candidate from having a clear run for a seat”. They include allegations that members did not receive the link to join online nomination meetings or were held in waiting rooms on Zoom until votes had been cast, and that some candidates were given privileged access to lists of members’ contact details in advance of others. He also claims that some candidates on the left were ruled out for “bizarre reasons”.

These allegations cannot easily be dismissed as simply the gripes of leftwingers sulking over defeat. Read the verdict of the former Channel 4 News stalwart Michael Crick, who argued that “it is increasingly clear that Labour’s election processes are unfair, and verge on corrupt,” adding that he also believed favoured candidates were given membership lists “long before others do, and so [could] start canvassing much sooner”.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
BREAKING: Non-white people exist

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Pretty sure that's an Afrikaans word and nowt to do with us Paddys. :colbert:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean Indian & Pakistani get lumped together under 'south asian' all the time, when they are two hugely different cultures that remain passionately unaligned on a wide range of issues.

Well they were the same multi-faceted region and culture until the British came along, ransacked them and then separated them on its way out. The region we now call Pakistan had a population that was 24% Hindu before partition. Today it is 1.6%.

I generally do wonder what that whole region would be like today if we had never set foot in it.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

Pretty sure that's an Afrikaans word and nowt to do with us Paddys. :colbert:
Many different peoples invented "stick that's bigger at one end than the other" technology, the world can share. Or hit each other over the head with it, which was also historically popular.