Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Yusin posted:

I decided to take advantage of the sale, so I got Mordenkainen's for you. You don't have DMs so I am sorry, but you will have to rely on the honor system.

snip

Wow, thanks a million! You really didn’t have to do that, but I appreciate that you did, this should cut back on customer monster creation work prepping sessions.

If I can get it figured out on the app I’ll redeem it in a minute, otherwise I’ve got it saved in a note for when I get home.

Edit: The honors system doesn’t work every time, someone else took it. I appreciate the sentiment though.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apologies if this is not the right thread for this.

Does anyone have suggestions for modules for a party of 3: an 8th level wizard, a 5 Fighter/3 Barb, and a 4th level Cleric (we're having the Cleric start behind and catch up in levels for story reasons).

My players have pretty much taken over a tribe of goblins and bugbears and have been trying to teach them to extract protection money from neighboring tribes. They've been away from the tribe for a few in-game weeks and I've made it so the monsters have gone too far and are starting to attract the attention of law enforcement at a nearby city. So if it's something where I can work that conflict in, do a little legwork and join/reflavor the module to dovetail with what my players are doing that would be a big plus.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

brap posted:

Apologies if this is not the right thread for this.

Does anyone have suggestions for modules for a party of 3: an 8th level wizard, a 5 Fighter/3 Barb, and a 4th level Cleric (we're having the Cleric start behind and catch up in levels for story reasons).

My players have pretty much taken over a tribe of goblins and bugbears and have been trying to teach them to extract protection money from neighboring tribes. They've been away from the tribe for a few in-game weeks and I've made it so the monsters have gone too far and are starting to attract the attention of law enforcement at a nearby city. So if it's something where I can work that conflict in, do a little legwork and join/reflavor the module to dovetail with what my players are doing that would be a big plus.

Typically a D&D module would be about stopping what your players are doing. It sounds like you are playing reverse Keep on the Borderlands.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Wow, thanks a million! You really didn’t have to do that, but I appreciate that you did, this should cut back on customer monster creation work prepping sessions.

If I can get it figured out on the app I’ll redeem it in a minute, otherwise I’ve got it saved in a note for when I get home.

Edit: The honors system doesn’t work every time, someone else took it. I appreciate the sentiment though.

Are you still around. I can get you another one while they are cheap.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Yusin posted:

Are you still around. I can get you another one while they are cheap.

I appreciate the sentiment but please don't feel obligated to. It's not going to make or break my campaign to have it or not and I admit I feel a bit bad about not being able to get the first code in time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
edit wrong thread

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol my players just finished the opening dungeon as well and got a crit success on the animal handling roll for soothing the 3 wolves near the entrance. they wanted them to fight the goblins and do other tasks but then didn't use them for that (plus i'd have made it hard, the book states they won't attack goblins, but still possible since they probably don't have much love for them), and then when they found the lionshield coster crates or w/e they wanted to rig them up to haul the crates back to the cart sled dog styule lmao. i let them roll a few checks but they blew it, so they ended up just releasing them to the wild at the cave entrance. was a fun bit of improv, i honestly almost let them have some wolf companions but i wasn't sure how i was going to handle that so i'm glad they let them go

Next fight when your players are in trouble they hear a distant howl, then next round BAM WOLF BUDS TO THE RESCUE

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I appreciate the sentiment but please don't feel obligated to. It's not going to make or break my campaign to have it or not and I admit I feel a bit bad about not being able to get the first code in time.
Too late I already got another. I recently came into some money, so I feel like being stupid for a week or so with it.

GIFT-6eda39ad-b262-4334-a2eb-f4ee99aa4099

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Yusin posted:

Too late I already got another. I recently came into some money, so I feel like being stupid for a week or so with it.

GIFT-6eda39ad-b262-4334-a2eb-f4ee99aa4099

You really are too kind! Thank you!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If anyone wants to pm a code but doesn't have pms feel free to let me know and I will remediate

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I am out of codes now, so it should not be an issue in the future.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Thanks again Yusin!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Typically a D&D module would be about stopping what your players are doing. It sounds like you are playing reverse Keep on the Borderlands.

True. It sorta seems like the options are:
-attract the ire of more powerful lawful people, make the players perform some service to get out of some punishment.
- make it so the monsters ostensibly under player control are acting up because of the influence of some bad guy.

One of my PCs is an aspiring evil wizard and the player says he genuinely doesn’t know if the character will go full on evil or have a come to Jesus moment. So I guess what I need is to force an answer to that. If he goes full on evil the character will become an NPC and he’ll have to play someone new.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
My players are approaching Gauntlgrym in our run of out of the Abyss and it is really bugging me how little guidance you get on the social events that are supposed to take place. There is supposed to be this giant feast full of interesting poo poo and the only real guidance you get is "maybe have some assasins show up, lol"

"This chapter is dominated by negotiation, social activity, and diplomacy" it says, but provides really gently caress all to support any of that. I wanted to run a published adventure because I wanted less of a burden to come up with some of that stuff, dammit. :argh:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rubberduke posted:

My players are approaching Gauntlgrym in our run of out of the Abyss and it is really bugging me how little guidance you get on the social events that are supposed to take place. There is supposed to be this giant feast full of interesting poo poo and the only real guidance you get is "maybe have some assasins show up, lol"

"This chapter is dominated by negotiation, social activity, and diplomacy" it says, but provides really gently caress all to support any of that. I wanted to run a published adventure because I wanted less of a burden to come up with some of that stuff, dammit. :argh:

Yeah, this is pretty much any published adventure any time things aren't happening on a combat grid. Going forward I think I'm going to either pick ones that are strict dungeon crawls or just make up my own. If I end up having to do all that work anyways, may as well not have to worry about continuity with whatever is in a module later on.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Rubberduke posted:

I feel this a lot in Ghosts of Saltmarsh, especially when I look at the source modules. What they choose to cut is absurd sometimes.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Next fight when your players are in trouble they hear a distant howl, then next round BAM WOLF BUDS TO THE RESCUE

lol that's a good idea actually

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

The Taxman posted:

I feel this a lot in Ghosts of Saltmarsh, especially when I look at the source modules. What they choose to cut is absurd sometimes.

At least with Saltmarsh you have some decent battlemaps to work with, as far as I know. OotA does not really do that. It feels like they wanted to do theater of the mind without really knowing how.

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much any published adventure any time things aren't happening on a combat grid. Going forward I think I'm going to either pick ones that are strict dungeon crawls or just make up my own. If I end up having to do all that work anyways, may as well not have to worry about continuity with whatever is in a module later on.

Even regarding dungeon crawls it is strangely lacking. Everything so far that has been exploration on grid had to be designed be designed by me or redesigned. I get that they not have play via VTT in mind when they wrote the adventure back in 2015, but I would expect a bit more from published material. But alas, at least I get to get better at mapmaking this way.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Rubberduke posted:

My players are approaching Gauntlgrym in our run of out of the Abyss and it is really bugging me how little guidance you get on the social events that are supposed to take place.

Have your characters be introduced as heroes at the feast, let Bruenor do a little speech, then outline which factions are present during the feast. If PCs don't seek them out, have Zentarim/Harpers/Emerald Enclave folks approach one or all of them to discuss the underdark situation. It's better if each PC has their own faction to interact with so they each have something to report, be it good or bad.

That's about it. The purpose of the event is to introduce some context, maybe hand out some clandestine objectives, and get you back in the tunnels.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Zurreco posted:

Have your characters be introduced as heroes at the feast, let Bruenor do a little speech, then outline which factions are present during the feast. If PCs don't seek them out, have Zentarim/Harpers/Emerald Enclave folks approach one or all of them to discuss the underdark situation. It's better if each PC has their own faction to interact with so they each have something to report, be it good or bad.

That's about it. The purpose of the event is to introduce some context, maybe hand out some clandestine objectives, and get you back in the tunnels.

That's a much better preface for the whole chapter than anything provided in the actual text.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah i've read that about a lot of the published modules and have noticed it flipping through some of them while deciding what content i want to run for my players. you have 200+ pages of d&d module and so much of the content is so sparse you need to flex the dm muscles pretty hard in some places to make stuff coherent. which i personally like because i've always run homebrew so i like to tweak and tinker anyway, but i can see being annoyed if you've picked up something with the intent to just dive in and run it and you have to do a bunch of gm prep anyway.

i just picked up the essentials kit so i can have a physical copy of the dragon of icespire peak but the whole adventure is really just bones, the framework is there but there's no story really. like the whole adventure is just delivered via a job board and at the end the players have to eventually decide they want to fight the dragon now lol. i have plans to add an actual backstory and make the encoutners interconnected and ditch the job board thing but i can see being a new dm and trying to run this thing and it just being boring and aimless for the pcs

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I really wish they'd be better about including maps in the books. They're never at a scale where you can actually use minis with them, and you have to break the spine to either photocopy & enlarge them, or have the book lie open to use tokens.

I'd much prefer foldouts in a little corner pocket like the old Greyhawk gazetteer, but that's probably a lot more complicated logistically to mass-produce.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rubberduke posted:

At least with Saltmarsh you have some decent battlemaps to work with, as far as I know. OotA does not really do that. It feels like they wanted to do theater of the mind without really knowing how.

Even regarding dungeon crawls it is strangely lacking. Everything so far that has been exploration on grid had to be designed be designed by me or redesigned. I get that they not have play via VTT in mind when they wrote the adventure back in 2015, but I would expect a bit more from published material. But alas, at least I get to get better at mapmaking this way.

I won't say that they wrote these modules and never actually playtested them, but I do legit wonder what their playtests actually look like. Every module I've seen basically has these big chunks in it where it boggles the mind that they don't include more than "lol I dunno bandits?" when if you're running poo poo in a linear way you expect some giant setpiece encounter, but then later they'll spend a dozen pages lovingly detailing a completely optional sidequest or optional location.

I get that when printing books, they're going to have page limitations and cannot include everything, and will inevitably have to make hard choices about what to include and what to leave out, but so often they seem to want to strip down the linear aspect of the module in favor of optional stuff or outright fluff.

Like, Tales from the Yawning Portal has an intro section that intricately details the Yawning Portal itself, who is there, random tables for encounters, and a shitload of exposition on it, but then refuses to connect that to any of the later modules in the book after the first one. And I get that those modules are more intended to be plug and play with other campaigns but yeesh, they don't even include a breadcrumb after the first module back there, let alone any actual connective tissue for the rest of it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I really wish they'd be better about including maps in the books. They're never at a scale where you can actually use minis with them, and you have to break the spine to either photocopy & enlarge them, or have the book lie open to use tokens.

I'd much prefer foldouts in a little corner pocket like the old Greyhawk gazetteer, but that's probably a lot more complicated logistically to mass-produce.

It’s not impossible to provide battle maps at scale for adventures. Pathfinder does it all the time, Paizo’ll happily sell you a pack of maps to go with their APs. WotC just doesn’t seem to care except for the set they did for their wretched Undermountain adventure.

Honestly WotC doesn’t care about good design or usability for their adventures and it sadly shows a lot. The good stuff exists in spite of them, basically.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah i've read that about a lot of the published modules and have noticed it flipping through some of them while deciding what content i want to run for my players. you have 200+ pages of d&d module and so much of the content is so sparse you need to flex the dm muscles pretty hard in some places to make stuff coherent. which i personally like because i've always run homebrew so i like to tweak and tinker anyway, but i can see being annoyed if you've picked up something with the intent to just dive in and run it and you have to do a bunch of gm prep anyway.

I already have to do a lot of prep for Foundry because want it to look decent, not having to prep story or figure out social encounters or having to think of things players actually experience along their journey would be nice. It still helps to have a direction and to know where the story is headed and descriptions of places and lore bits to fall back on. But this can't be all there is. The gaps you have to fill in are huge. The random encounter tables they give you are just pitiful. Those are not encounters, those are lists of monsters, dammit. Give me some flavour!

Edit: Enough complaining. I think my group is still having fun.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Arivia posted:

It’s not impossible to provide battle maps at scale for adventures. Pathfinder does it all the time, Paizo’ll happily sell you a pack of maps to go with their APs. WotC just doesn’t seem to care except for the set they did for their wretched Undermountain adventure.

Honestly WotC doesn’t care about good design or usability for their adventures and it sadly shows a lot. The good stuff exists in spite of them, basically.

Yeah, the key is that if they want good maps, can't print the maps in the books themselves, which means they either need to sell separate map packs or shrinkwrap foldout maps in with the books, which is fine for online but in a physical store means no one can flip through the thing to see what it is actually about.

The real problem with Wizards is that they don't seem to have a clarity of purpose to their products, so they try to be everything to everyone. They seem deathly allergic to a book of just lore, so they try to tell lore while also cramming in character options, monsters, and the nuts and bolts of encounters, which inevitably doesn't work because there's just not enough space so they inevitably handwave over a bunch of stuff the DM has to fill in while including a ton of stuff the DM might use, which is just the worst possible choice. Either give me a setting book with no adventure but just stuffed to the gills with odds and ends I can plug into an adventure of my own or give me a fully on the rails adventure I can run without any prep and if I want to deviate from that, a corresponding setting guide from which I can pull plot hooks and factions and the odds and ends I need.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I got my xmas bonus and would like to spread some cheer. If there's something you want on D&D Beyond let me know! I'll be PMing codes so you gotta have pms. You also have to tell me about one of your characters. Either your own if you're a player, or your players if you're a DM. Why are they cool and fun and neat? I'll gift till my meager budget runs out!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I would actually like to know more about Eberron, if you're in the giving mood.

In return my current character is Bodhran Alesinger, a Dwarven drunken monk master from a farming village in the valley below the stereotypical dwarven mountain fortress. He left the village to seek his fortunes in the big city, but unfortunately that was around the time the city in question was about to be taken over by mind flayers.

He was a replacement for my rich kid sorceror character who sadly got his brain ate by the mind flayers.

He has an absolutely horrible rules interaction, which is that patient defence lets him take the dodge action as a bonus action, because he's a Dwarf he can spend a hit die to recover health when taking the dodge action, and he got his hands on a Periapt of Health which doubles the health recovered from hit dice. And then you have disadvantage hitting him. So he is actually pretty survivable for a monk.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Thoughts so far about my Dm'ing experience:
- The Tension Pool system seems to be working alright, I need to prep actual tables and stuff, but I like how some of the players have caught on to it and actually pass on skill checks that they aren't personally invested in. I feel like this has been a good development, as instead of everyone jumping to help with a roll its just one or two helping when they feel like there's a reason to help. Yes I know this isn't strictly how its supposed to work but I'm still figuring out when to decide an action is "reckless" or "takes too long" in the context of the campaign, and a crit fail on a check at least makes it likely something interesting happens.

- One player keeps kidnapping every hostile NPC and forcing them into becoming hirelings; which is hilarious but also slows down combat a bit as I haven't gotten every Midi QoL thing figured out yet and some players due to ESL language barrier are still figuring out things so the extra npc's is at this point like half the party of an already large party (6 people, I would've been happy with 4 but I had asked like 9 people and six said yes, and didnt want to say no).

I want all the players to be able to participate in combat and not have the NPCs take up time; I had already was subtly trying to have the NPCs sit out of combat, either by not rolling initiative, or basically sitting on their hands during combat but there was a little tension there as my player who kidnapped them would speak up and ask about them; so next session I'll ask the players how they'd like the NPCs to be handled. I am thinking they'll stay out of combat until either a player is down, or maybe at the top of initiative I roll a d20 and there's a chance they enter combat each turn after the first turn? Or maybe I could group them up into a hoard and take their turn all at once?

- I really need to spend a LOT more time prepping maps, I keep underestimating the workload and overestimating how much I can do in the time I end up having remaining. I had it come up last week where my players couldn't really properly exercise their agency because I didnt have all of the maps prepared I needed to. :( I could've "Theater of the Mind'd" it, but I really want to still make those maps and also didn't really have prep'd what the key points even of those maps were so theater of the mind would've been a LOT of impromptu guess work and improv which I want to use more as a last resort if I gently caress up again.

Gradually as I make maps I imagine it should get easier as I have more maps that are probably reuseable! :)

- One player I talked to post session is getting a little impatient about still being level 1, technically the adventure has three parts to it and they gain a level at the end of each part; but there were some aspects of the adventure that didn't make any sense to me and my changes to them kinda resulted in it taking longer to get to the next narrative checkpoint as it were. Partially because my insistence on having maps/zones for each part means there's more time exploring with tokens vs theater of the mind which would presumably be a lot faster; and my above fuckup meant they couldn't as easily just go to where they need to go and also my fuckups in describing plot important details (as in I forgot, as there was a lot of stuff happening at the time, I was like "You get a map" but forgot to add in, "And the map has marked on it your best places to go to try to escape") meant they didn't quite have a direction to go beyond their vague desire to rob the bank.

Also all of these adventures are level 1 to 3 adventures, my current plan is to chain a few together, so first adventure is 1-3, then the next adventure they gain a level, and then the one after that another level to a level of 5. And then either take those characters into a larger campaign module, that starts at 5, using these smaller one shots as the pre-campaign/extended session 0? Or maybe they might just want to roll new characters and keep doing smaller one shots, its something I want to discuss when this one is done.

What I think I'll do is after the next encounter/level is done, maybe not level them up to 2, but let them take 1 feature they would get from a level up in addition to temp HP/free long rest + reward so it feels like they're progressing even if they aren't yet at the correct checkpoint for the next part yet. But its also just the one player who suggested starting at 3 when I already said that these was a smaller oneshot that starts at 1, so maybe it isn't a big deal.

- I need to do better at judging CR, the early enemies they destroyed so easily that I was a little careless in creating Zealous Templar NPC enemies that were just normal enemies with a normal longsword attack and their first run in with these almost killed the two frontliners (they still won though) so I think I need to swap out the enemies ahead of them with easier ones; I have been generous with potions though, they just haven't been using them yet. The enemies mostly had been 4 to 10 hp with a +4 to hit with a flat 2-4 damage and then suddenly I threw 2 15hp guardsmen with 1d8's on a +6 to hit which maybe was too much, so I need to dial that down.

- One player vows to burn my hard drive because of cursed rolls. :haw:

- One thing that just consistently has been a problem is the inconsistency of the lighting/vision system on Foundry, the Module specifies that due to a fog of magical darkness covering the town the PC's vision is limited to 20'; cool, spooky tension, got it. But even though I have an option to limit a PC's vision to 20' in the Light settings for a level; the vision settings seem to be inconsistent, like sometimes a torch seems to let them see further than what they're supposed to? Sometimes the fog of war doesn't work right? It's all very strange and inconsistent when they can't seem to see anything at all even with a torch, etc.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I got my xmas bonus and would like to spread some cheer. If there's something you want on D&D Beyond let me know! I'll be PMing codes so you gotta have pms. You also have to tell me about one of your characters. Either your own if you're a player, or your players if you're a DM. Why are they cool and fun and neat? I'll gift till my meager budget runs out!

I don't need anything from D&D beyond (bought drat near everything already) but my fairy spore druid is awesome. I'm playing them as a traveler into the mortal realms who doesn't quite get mortal rules yet.

Mechanically it's been fun to be a front line fighter and also trying not to abuse flight with vine whip. Once I get the spores, melee, and moonbeam up it's pretty fun just wrecking things.

RP wise:
Meat is meat, the party has yet to ask where I get the meat for their meals yet.
They don't search for treasure very well, so I get the magical items first. I once distributed the items out and followed up with "thank you for accepting my gift" which was followed swiftly by a "goddamit we accepted a gift from a fae"

It's been some of the most fun I've had with a group and character.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Elendil004 posted:

I got my xmas bonus and would like to spread some cheer.

I'm pretty new to DMing so I only have the PHB/DMG/MM and the new spelljammer campaign stuff I've been running... so I'll take anything that you think will aid me in staging some cool new adventures in the future. In return, here is my most recent character I have played:

Freddie "Fingers" Malone is a Lightfoot Halfing rogue. Freddie grew up a nobody on the streets of Neverwinter, and though he is intelligent, he spent most of his formative years focused on his own survival. He discovered he had a knack for finding things which he initially used as a smuggler of rare goods, but he later transitioned into his current career as a private investigator. He's a bit of a workaholic with an almost pathological drive to crack the case. As a result, he has a tumultuous relationship with his ex-wife. Or I should say had, because she died getting eaten by a giant lizard during the last campaign. Probably the most important thing to know about Freddie besides his backstory is that he is almost always wearing a fedora and trench coat.

Other than some modest riches Freddie hasn't gotten enough experience to accumulate any particularly cool feats or skills (he's at level 5 right now), but he did take his dead wife's wizard staff which summons a pseudo dragon whose voice has an uncanny resemblance to Eddie Murphy.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Well if we're sharing something about one of our characters we think are neat, well I'll talk about my Genie Patron Warlock, Jacinth Bloodstone. So mechanically I love the Genie Warlock, being able to hide in my ring while my Imp Familiar carries it around is just so fun. That plus the nonsense of the push/pull shennanigans being a Dao Genielock with the Crusher Feat, Repelling Blast, Agonizing Blast and Grasp of Hadar and getting out of watch duty every night by putting my Imp on Duty while I cast merge with stone to disappear into a rock wall to sleep in is sweet.

Also I like my character's backstory. Essentialy he is a Waterdelvian merchant who had a pretty good gig going. Since Waterdeep was filled with adventurers and adventurers are pretty lazy, they would look to offload all sorts of gem encrusted swords or statuettes or what have you, but rarely did they look at what gems were exactly in the assorted bric-a-brac they were selling. So Jacinth would happily buy these items, and then remove and organize the gemstones and sell back the expensive spell component stones like diamonds back to the very same adventurers who simply gave the goods a once-over with "Detect Magic" and then sold it as useless decorations.

In one batch of purchased items, from a particularly disreputable group of adventurers as likely to kill as talk to someone, he found a strange leaden ring. Examining it with his tools, Jacinth found a hairline fracture in the lead, showing gold underneath, eventually he unearthed the gold and bloodstone ring from its leaden housing. As he examined his newfound trinket, the ring pulsed, and a whirling sandstorm erupted within his shop eventually coalescing into the powerful form of a Genie Noble. This noble genie informed Jacinth she was bound to the ring by an arch-lich as a way to get wishes, and that she was bound to grant the wish of whoever owns the ring. Jacinth, in a rare moment of wisdom decided to forgo making a wish and instead make a deal, he would wish for her freedom if the genie gave him enough power to keep safe from the Arch-Lich, or anyone who might try and take the ring. The genie agreed, but said that such power would change him, and that he should not ask for the power until he needed it. All he would need do is call out to Ihin (the genie noble's name) and the power would be granted. Jacinth agreed and wished for Ihin's freedom.

Needless to say, his shop gets raided by the adventurers who originally sold Jacinth the ring, looking to get the ring back, by force if necessary. Jacinth calls out to Ihin and gets transported to another world(the campaign takes place in Greyhawk) where Jacinth will have to adventure to grow the power he was given so that he will be strong enough to survive should the Arch-Lich decide to attack or seek vengeance for Jacinth freeing its enslaved wish-granter.

Anyway I love the character because he is just a money-grubbing hedonist, who uses his imp familiar as much to comb his long hair and feed him grapes as a scout and useful adventuring tool. Jacinth has a draw to adventure, since he needs to get stronger, and the DM of his campaign has been able to throw both the Arch-Lich as well as the adventuring party who raided Jacinth's shop to get the ring back as BBEGs to fight. Also he took a pot of awakening and brought it in the ring with him so that he can have a travel buddy who lives inside the ring, (which is a lot of fun)(his name is Needles, since he is a cactus).

Um, anyway, if you feel inclined I'd love Mordenkainen's but as Yusin already gifted me Fizban's, feel free to put me towards the bottom of the list.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 29, 2022

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I want a pony.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

imagine dungeons posted:

I want a pony.

I mean, they're only 30gp, so you should easily afford one by like level 3 at the latest.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

imagine dungeons posted:

I want a pony.

The Pony statblock is free.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
My wish has been granted.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
More Christmas cheer?? I wouldn't mind Xanathar's Guide. Having that would unlock a lot of subclasses and other character creation content on DNDB, meaning I wouldn't need to ask a content-share buddy to park a free character in my campaigns.

As for character stories, the best I can share is that of my friend Sore. Sore is a power gamer. He has a gigantic library of Steam games, but his most played ever is Final Fantasy XI. He played that for over 10 years. So, naturally, I asked him to try DND with me, and despite his reluctance he accepted. So long, of course, that he didn't have to do any of that "lame RP poo poo."

I said ok, you can RP or narrate your character, idgaf. Just so long as everyone has fun. (It turns out his version of fun is to be adversarial to me, the DM)

The first game we played was Sunless Citadel. His first taste of RP was Meepo. It was awkward, but first starts always are. Everything proceeded onward as written - the party eventually picks up Erky Timbers as they explored the dungeon looking for the kidnapped Calcryx, a white dragon wyrmling. I decided to use a homebrew I found and play Erky and Meepo as diametrically opposed. Meepo wanted to rescue the dragon and return it to his clan to regain his honor (it was stolen on his watch); Erky (an acolyte of Bahamat) wanted to escape, but would forego that to ensure a chromatic dragon wyrmling would never be released to see the light of day. Meepo was the more endearing of the two.

The tension reached a crescendo when they found Calcryx's prison. The party mostly sided with Meepo - they wanted to return the dragon to the kobolds to get the sweet, sweet reward. Erky reminded them of the destruction that adult chromatics unleash, and insisted that Calcryx die - for the greater good.

Meepo goes in to "rescue" the dragon, thinking that it would be happy to see its trainer. Meepo eats a cold breath the the face and goes down. The party is horrified and wants to run (especially after seeing me roll the damage dice). I decide to tempt them by giving Meepo open saving throws.

Sore valiantly steps up to contest the dragon; and to my surprise gives a short speech to rally the others to fight! I can see from here that Sore is all-in on the game; he's hooked in a way that no video game ever could.

The party rushes in, courage overflowing. During the fight Sore foregoes his own powerful attacks to heal Meepo, thus saving him from certain death. The party nearly wipes, but with the final blow decide to non-lethally defeat the dragon. They bind the dragon's mouth and legs, and ready themselves to haul it back to the Kobold high priestess.

Until little ol' Erky steps into the doorway.

He uttesr a prayer and casts Sacred Flame on the dragon, killing it. "I'm sorry, but I cannot suffer that dragon to live."

The party. Is. Incensed. Especially Sore. They chase the little gnome (who up to now has been the party's healer), casting every ranged spell they could muster, shooting every arrow. He escapes into the dungeon, bloodied but alive. I remind the party that Erky is their healer. "I don't care." proclaims Sore. "He betrayed us."

The party goes back to the Kobold's leader with the dead dragon and badly injured Meepo. The priestess is not happy, but based on Meepo's account of the tale, she agrees the dragon's death is not their doing. She banishes Meepo to the mines as punishment for losing the dragon, and tells the party she wants Erky's head. The party has lost Meepo AND Erky - and they are angry. Particularly Sore, who has really warmed up to Meepo (and also knows the value of the action economy).

The party try to track the gnome down. They find him in a previously-explored section of the dungeon, captured by goblins. They quickly dispatch these goblins, and bring Erky back to the priestess. Sore, now the default face of the party, bites into the RP a bit and throws the gnome in front of her, proclaiming he has tracked down the traitor. The priestess nods to her headman, and the gnome is executed before the whole court. Sore is satisfied. He tries to convince the priestess to allow Meepo to join them. She refuses, saying that he is a dishonor to the clan and the mines are too good for him.

The party allies itself fully with the kobolds. Knowing that the goblins are now weak, the kobolds and PCs stage a massive attack, slaughtering the entire goblin clan: women, children, and elderly all. The kobolds now no longer have an enemy, and will thrive because of it.

The party continue with the module, and eventually meet and defeat the BBEG. They return to the priestess and inform her that the BBEG is dead. The priestess realizes that, thanks to them, the entire fortress is now theirs and they will become the uncontested power in the region. She gives her thanks to the party for all their valiant deeds, and rewards them with gold and magical items. Sore then unexpectedly leans into the RP again and says that while gold and magic items are good, he wants something more - he wants Meepo. The kobold priestess sees her chance and uses this opportunity. She will give them Meepo, but in return she demands the party escort an ambassador to the nearby settlement to normalize trade relations. The party accepts.

And that is the story of how Sore got his squire.

Afterward I asked him how he liked the game. All I got was "It was fun", but deep down in his heart of hearts I know he had an epic time. I know, because he still talks about Meepo.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Christmas has come early!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Elendil you are a magnificent human being!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

New version of Banishment is dumb IMO: https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd/cleric-revised-species