Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

goatface posted:

He doesn't think dictators are necessarily objectionable because he wants to be one. The most democracy anyone would get on Musky Mars would be twitter polls on decisions he'd already made.

Pretty sure he means to suggest being opposed to dictators is not a bold position because everyone is opposed to dictators. You might as well suggest that it's heroic to say nazis or pedophiles are bad people.

If you think that couldn’t be it for any number of obvious reasons, you are vastly overestimating Elon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Herstory Begins Now posted:

in a bizarre twist it was bought by russians and for a number of years now it has been a fairly popular place for russian defense bloggers

Yeh it was actually used by Russians to self-organize during crises since their govt wouldn't, until it got somewhat nerfed for that by Putin

Man I miss LJ.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

its weird that this is the trump line that keeps being true

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can never decide if Trump is funny because he posts like an angry boomer or if he genuinely has a sense of humour.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

keep punching joe posted:

Can never decide if Trump is funny because he posts like an angry boomer or if he genuinely has a sense of humour.

A sense of humor requires introspection, some form of pathos. This is Trump we are talking about, though, so... it's just him being an angry boomer as you suspect.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it's angry boomer plus deeply weird cadence and voice. just that combo resonates

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The last lovely retail job I worked, some idiot coworker of mine was a zoomer broke brain redditor who cared way too much about furries.

No matter how much I tried to convince him that no one cares about furries anymore and that SA had pretty much been there and done that, he just had this huge hate boner for furries for no good reason.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
LJ is also still around for ONTD, one of the ye olde gossip blogs that buzzfeed rips off of.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

big black turnout posted:

Please find a random iphone user who uses Twitter to follow their favorite celebrities and tell them they can simply install Twitter to the home screen as a progressive web app

Yeah but a lot of the people complaining will refuse to use a woke leftist web app

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bucky Fullminster posted:

do you think companies are obligated to advertise on your website, fucknuts? it's a free market and your product isn't cutting it

It really does look like that because Trump won't post anymore he has decided to full embrace the role of the Trump on twitter to bring it back to pre Jan. 6 2020 days. Petty right wing paranoid punching back always grievance mongering and tweeting shithead that everyone has to listen to and hear about because he's in a position of power, only instead of because he's POTUS it's because he owns the drat cesspool. The only difference is he figures he has a gut busting hilarious sense of humor, whereas Trump never attempted it.

We're kind of into the full blown ranting and raving phase of his posting though only instead of "RAAAAAWR STOLEN ELECTION" victimhood narratives every day it's some vagueness about "free speech" and "x company that crossed me doesn't want you to have it" victimhood narratives.

Verdugo posted:

Also @jack is right wing so this is all right up his alley

Didn't that guy commission the stay woke shirt though? I always figured that guy just has the neo-nazi look but otherwise donates to staunchly centrist political candidates who have since left the Democratic party to become independents. He's definitely not left wing or progressive since he donated to the likes of Tulsi Gabbard and seems to have adopted the whole "truth lies somewhere in the middle" approach to content moderation and observation of political matters whenever it used to come up when he was still CEO. Him not adopting all the narratives like Elon makes it hard me to to label the guy explicitly right wing in the modern sense as well whereas Elon has run the full course of right wing talking points and positions pretty consistently in the last year or two.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 29, 2022

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

What is the point of caffeine-free Diet Coke? THE TASTE?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edmund Sparkler posted:

The last lovely retail job I worked, some idiot coworker of mine was a zoomer broke brain redditor who cared way too much about furries.

No matter how much I tried to convince him that no one cares about furries anymore and that SA had pretty much been there and done that, he just had this huge hate boner for furries for no good reason.

Furries are really dumb but I can't imagine caring about them at all beyond occasionally snickering when I'm reminded they exist.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Someone needs to bring back the Chrome extension that displayed Trump tweets in crayon, except for Elon and in Ralph Steadman font.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also bear in mind that a fuckton more people have phones than computers.

We aging nerds are still a minority, and the iPhone changed society's relationship with technology a hell of a lot more than desktop PCs did. Removing the Twitter iOS app would basically cut down Twitter's user base to a small fraction of its former size.

Kale
May 14, 2010

koshmar posted:

Imagine paying 44 Billion to get repeatedly owned by your own website.

Better get on disabling those fact checking algorithms and associated accounts if you want to do vindictive petty self-serving misinformation stuff there Elon. Frankly I'm surprised those still work let alone on his account.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
More like Pee On Much.

Because that's what everyone normal is doing to him.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ilmucche posted:

Everything is fine, he's going to be more popular than ever!

Elon Musk set to become number-one influencer on Twitter

I'm sure there are no bots involved in this at all

This is what this stupid poo poo has really been about since the beginning

And aren't you kinda forced to see his stupid poo poo in your feed no matter what now?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

All this talk about ads on twitter and weird stuff making it into their recommends makes me realize that since I've used Tweetdeck for desktop twitter viewing I never once had to see ads or random poo poo in my timeline and it's not even a thing you have to pay for it's just.. going to a different website to use twitter. I guess tweetdeck is owned by twitter now so until they force the "new look" or get rid of it altogether I'll just stick to that and continue never going to https://www.twitter.com to look at twitter.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Kale posted:

It really does look like that because Trump won't post anymore he has decided to full embrace the role of the Trump on twitter to bring it back to pre Jan. 6 2020 days. Petty right wing paranoid punching back always grievance mongering and tweeting shithead that everyone has to listen to and hear about because he's in a position of power, only instead of because he's POTUS it's because he owns the drat cesspool. The only difference is he figures he has a gut busting hilarious sense of humor, whereas Trump never attempted it.

We're kind of into the full blown ranting and raving phase of his posting though only instead of "RAAAAAWR STOLEN ELECTION" victimhood narratives every day it's some vagueness about "free speech" and "x company that crossed me doesn't want you to have it" victimhood narratives.

Didn't that guy commission the stay woke shirt though? I always figured that guy just has the neo-nazi look but otherwise donates to staunchly centrist political candidates who have since left the Democratic party to become independents. He's definitely not left wing or progressive since he donated to the likes of Tulsi Gabbard and seems to have adopted the whole "truth lies somewhere in the middle" approach to content moderation and observation of political matters whenever it used to come up when he was still CEO. Him not adopting all the narratives like Elon makes it hard me to to label the guy explicitly right wing in the modern sense as well whereas Elon has run the full course of right wing talking points and positions pretty consistently in the last year or two.

@Jack followed Candace Owens and personally apologized and unbanned her, I think at least twice. He also followed Wierd Mike, and was more than happy to sell the site to Musk. He's a fellow traveler, just not as much of a loudmouth as Musk.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Holy cow the MSM did not properly catalogue the degree to which Elon lost his loving poo poo completely at the mere idea of Apple taking action against the twitter app and pausing advertising, which makes me even more grateful for this thread for recording all the sheer insanity of this man. Hell the MSM has only barely started to talk about his far right swing and it's mostly just opinion pieces and editorials. Honestly the MSM looks afraid of the guy in the same way it's afraid of Trump. Like gently caress the far right has already vilified everything that doesn't parrot it's insane narratives already, that audience is a lost cause so I don't see what they have to fear of "losing" that audience anyway. Hell Elon seems to feel he has nothing to fear from the global majority of not completely batshit insane far right people that don't want on his or Donald Trump's crazy ego trip ride anymore.

TulliusCicero posted:

@Jack followed Candace Owens and personally apologized and unbanned her, I think at least twice. He also followed Wierd Mike, and was more than happy to sell the site to Musk. He's a fellow traveler, just not as much of a loudmouth as Musk.

I always found him to have a very mealy mouthed mediocre guy approach to things so yeah must just not be telegraphing on an hourly basis that he's schmoozing with these accounts.

ilmucche posted:

Everything is fine, he's going to be more popular than ever!

Elon Musk set to become number-one influencer on Twitter

I'm sure there are no bots involved in this at all

Yeah that's not normal growth at all. There's no way he's consistently added that many unique accounts every day for over a year, that'd be completely bonkers beyond all measure. That'd also mean he's gained somewhere in the order of 100 million followers in a single calendar year. As the article says too it's unprecedented that a platform owner is also it's biggest personality too. It's obviously been set up that way to pump his tires. You can immediately see how many of his followers are bots just by looking at the replies to his tweets and how often certain posts are repeated verbatim across every single one of them regardless of what grievance he's on about specifically.

Again the fact that a MSM article doesn't even attempt to question or verify these things and just puts it out there with a quip like "his popularity is clearly undeniable" isn't helping matters.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 29, 2022

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I must have logged back in at some point in the intervening eons to update my email and keep my account alive, because last year I got an automated email congratulating me on 20 years of being an LJ user, whereupon I crumbled into dust and floated away on the wind.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Please find a random iphone user who uses Twitter to follow their favorite celebrities and tell them they can simply install Twitter to the home screen as a progressive web app

Lol anyone who will go out of their way to do this is already using mastodon and quit Twitter anyway.

Taking Twitter off app stores would be immensely destructive to it and I hope it happens.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Stroker Ace posted:

What is the point of caffeine-free Diet Coke? THE TASTE?

Some people really don't like to drink water

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

god it must rule to be a journalist and just write 2 pages about the societal impacts of diet coke or the queer community's views on spongebob and get it put in the nation's paper of record while actual wars or mass protests get 2 paragraphs and most of its just you regurgitating some tweets you found.
That specific author only writes about food and this feels like she was just using it as an excuse to dump out the Diet Coke article she always wanted to write.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Never thought I'd see the day Tim Cook was dragging Elon but here we are.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ror posted:

they're both losers who want to be popular on the dumb posting website

Yea but all of the guns we've seen from Elon so far are fake.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean they're just gonna make it so that when you visit the site on your phone browser there'll be a big gratuitous banner going INSTALL US with a gif of you clicking the menu and hitting 'install'.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I mean they're just gonna make it so that when you visit the site on your phone browser there'll be a big gratuitous banner going INSTALL US with a gif of you clicking the menu and hitting 'install'.

That already exists

Edit: The banner, at least

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 29, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

MikeJF posted:

and if it's delisted what are they gonna do with that, get Wizkid George Hotz to program a web app that automatically sets up an iPhone for sideloading and then does it? lol

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Please come to my newly purchased and rapidly deteriorating social media site and defend yourself from the stupid thing I said on my rapidly deteriorating social media site.

You won’t believe what I’ll say next about you on my rapidly deteriorating social media site you really should visit it and contribute to my rapidly deteriorating social media site.

Please!!!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Come on guys, Elon isn't saying we should be run by a fascist. He simply wants us to give fascist ideas a chance because they might have some good ideas. For example the intersection of minorities and forced labor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

That already exists

Edit: The banner, at least

MrQwerty posted:

and if it's delisted what are they gonna do with that, get Wizkid George Hotz to program a web app that automatically sets up an iPhone for sideloading and then does it? lol

I'm talking about them getting you to install the PWA

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Some people really don't like to drink water

The Rabid-American community deserves more representation

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

zedprime posted:

Come on guys, Elon isn't saying we should be run by a fascist. He simply wants us to give fascist ideas a chance because they might have some good ideas. For example the intersection of minorities and forced labor.

Hey that's how his family got rich, no wonder he thinks it's a great idea for everyone else.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
elon bought twitter for an inflated price because he thought it would mean everyone would like him and it would be his ticket to become babby emperor of the world lol

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

That's what I don't get: why do all these morons think Twitter is so powerful? It's just a stupid site where you post your toilet thoughts or journalists lazily break news: it's not "HE WHO CONTROLS THE TWEET CONTROLS THE WORLD!" :shepface:

He's not the first Right Winger to heavily value the shitpost site either: look at Loomer

Just post somewhere else, christ

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Chief McHeath posted:

elon bought twitter for an inflated price because he thought it would mean everyone would like him and it would be his ticket to become babby emperor of the world lol

elon bought twitter for an inflated price because the weed number

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

This is a reply in this tweet and I don't know why I find it as funny as I do

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TulliusCicero posted:

That's what I don't get: why do all these morons think Twitter is so powerful? It's just a stupid site where you post your toilet thoughts or journalists lazily break news: it's not "HE WHO CONTROLS THE TWEET CONTROLS THE WORLD!" :shepface:

He's not the first Right Winger to heavily value the shitpost site either: look at Loomer

Just post somewhere else, christ

It's probably because they're obsessed with it and assume everyone else is too. It's like posting on SA and thinking everyone you know IRL is a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

working on it