Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Oh, that's awesome.

MERP adventures feel very weird and unexpected. They're set up so differently than adventures today or even from D&D back in the day. Tons of focus on NPCs and sites and politics, and you need to find the adventure usually.

That kind of stuff has aged better than plot-heavy or railroad adventures though. People still talk about Griffin Mountain for RQ for good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cessna posted:

I'm not saying they didn't.

Rather - dense, thick systems like Rolemaster were seen as More Serious, the sort of thing Real Gamers played, thus the sort of rules used for a prestigious title like Tolkien.

Agreed.

Out of curiosity, have you seen Free League's One Ring? I haven't, but wonder if it would be worth a look.

I played in a game of TOR 1e. And it does a very good job of emulating The Lord of the Rings.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I really dig TOR 2e's mechanics and would love to run a game. It's so LotR-y, I'd need to find fellow fans tho.

I'm the kind of nerd who'd break out some of the aforementioned MERP setting poo poo for it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Lemon-Lime posted:

The One Ring 1e is one of the best games ever written when it comes to genre-/source-material-emulation.

Sadly, TOR 2e is a bit of a step down from 1e as it sands away some of the source-material-emulation mechanics in favour of being slightly more streamlined, and the shift in setting from Rhovanion to Eriador seems designed to appeal to fans of the LotR films more than fans of Middle-earth as a setting (i.e. Rhovanion has much more interesting things to do and places to go to within Middle-earth). It's still pretty good, and it's not too hard to leverage the Rhovanion stuff from 1e for use with 2e if you can find the books (which you can no longer buy anywhere).

I'm curious. What changed mechanic-wise?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The New Yorker did a profile of Isaac Childres, the dude behind all the Gloomhavens. It's wild to see their style applied to this niche and nerdy hobby.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/a-board-game-auteur-makes-his-next-move

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I haven't touched 2nd edition yet, but I'll chime in with the chorus of the first edition is great. The whole 'Making journeys interesting' thing is worth the price of admission alone.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

The New Yorker did a profile of Isaac Childres, the dude behind all the Gloomhavens. It's wild to see their style applied to this niche and nerdy hobby.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/a-board-game-auteur-makes-his-next-move

The introduction and subsequent constant references to BGG rankings is certainly a choice. My reaction by the end of the article was that nobody has ever told this writer that the clever thing he thinks he's doing isn't.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My guess is they're not a board gamer but found a style hook for the article (#1!) and just kinda went wild with it.

It didn't bother me but yeah it was definitely one decision they could have made.

I expected that to culminate with a bit at the end re: FH review bombing by angry nerds because Isaac said black lives matter. But it never materialized.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dwarf74 posted:

quote:

Childres’s business model was more Tesla than Parker Brothers: he listed the Gloomhaven project on Kickstarter, using preorders to gauge interest and bootstrap production.

:goofy:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah but at least they left in "Basically, I hate capitalism" lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah but at least they left in "Basically, I hate capitalism" lol

Oh I'm sure Isaac didn't have any say in that comparison, it really is the most peak "The New Yorker writer gets very excited about this strange new thing (not actually strange or new) they've never heard of" writing style.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The Bee posted:

The biggest omission between the 1st edition revised and 2nd edition core books is the stuff about increasing your standard of living and social standing in various communities. I can see why that would hit the cutting room floor and be left to a supplement, though there's enough of standard of living in the 2nd edition core book that it's kind of weird there's not more to it.

Stuff that came later but really should be in the core if they're going to do it at all is the expanded combat stuff like roles and additional tasks. The combat is identical or nearly-identical, and it's not like the combat was super light to begin with, so it feels like something that will definitely happen but really should be in the core of a 2nd edition.

The thing I've seen the most griping about is how basic task resolution works now, which I am personally totally fine with. They moved to (mostly) static target numbers, which is a good idea in my opinion, but it can be a bit too challenging for some people's taste.

My biggest complaints are that there's just a huge amount of white space in the book, and a lot of the setting or ancillary system stuff like Patrons takes up more space than it needs to, and the stuff is filling the book with could remain but just be tightened up, allowing the game to include more of the expanded vitals from the previous edition like information about outside of Eriador and more player options. On top of making poor use of page space, the 2nd edition core is almost 100 pages shorter than the 1st edition revised core!

Making better use of space could also have really helped with Journeys, which I feel need the most support for everyone to really get into.

They really seem to have given a glance at refining how Heroic Cultures worked and were presented and then, just, trimmed how 1st edition did things instead of being bolder. Tightening up cultures could've saved a ton of space and allowed a much greater selection for players, which would in turn better set up the book for Wilderland stuff. Like, they got rid of the vaguely lifepath-y character generation in the core but still kept the fixed selection of stat spreads. So now you just have a moderately sized table of boring numbers that needlessly exclude a handful of choices that would be available through a simpler and easier to present point distribution system.

(They reintroduced a lifepath system as a small supplement, which is nice, but it only covers the core book cultures and but the ones from the supplements despite their all being released very close together. Books are a lot of work and just because they came out roughly at the same time doesn't mean their development was simultaneous, but its an integration that I think really should get the extra effort of your going to do all that in the first place.)

I don't quite agree with the criticism that Eriador is empty and boring, but the devs and authors seem to think it's a little bit true so it's kind of weird they refocused the core book there.

Also, while I'm fine with the trimming of how Journeys work, particularly the terrain types, it kind of sucks that you're basically going to be lightly homebrewing how everything outside of Eriador works because there's no direct one-to-one equivalency between the 1st and 2nd edition maps. Not a tremendous burden, but something I think could've been easily avoided to the benefit of both veterans and new players.

(I can certainly understand being cautious of overwhelming brand new players or making the world feel too small by filling it all out in quick, broad strokes, but I don't believe that's an inevitable problem if you handle things right. I'm taking both player options and the maps, here.)

All-in-all I think there's more missed opportunities or gaps that feel very obvious to people familiar with the prior edition (or the legendarium itself) than anything that could be definitively considered a terrible blunder. It's still quite a good game and I would rather start with it and homebrew on top instead of sticking with the previous edition.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 29, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of it comes from books like 'Tigers in the Mud' written by a Panzertrooper and of course he's not going to dwell on the, shall we say, great unpleasantness of his side. That book also probably is where we get the myth of the Tiger as a rolling unstoppable death machine.

Wasn't that also part of the 'Clean Wehrmacht' stuff where they were trying to rehabilitate the SS as an 'elite unit' of the German Army and not the political stormtroopers of the Nazi Party as a way to pretend the members not executed for war crimes weren't culpable?

Note that whole narrative washed over into a ton of wargaming and is still present in a lot of places.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.avalanchepress.com/Black_SS_Pieces.php

Dishonor Before Death: Those Black SS Pieces
By Mike Bennighof, Ph.D.
October 2020

quote:

I hate Nazis.

I’ve written that phrase a number of times in Daily Content and in the introductions to our books, and now more than ever I still enjoy throwing those three words on the screen. Growing up around survivors of their evil, I learned very early just what their symbols meant. Many years later, as a newspaper reporter I earned a spot on “hit list” of one of the more despicable American neo-Nazi groups. One group threatened me with legal action for calling them “neo” — this offended them, they asserted, because they were the real thing.

Back in an earlier time, wargaming as a hobby included a fairly disturbing element of what can only be described as Nazi worship. It was never as common as later tales would have it, but it definitely did exist and was every bit as repulsive as one might imagine. Our trade group, the Game Manufacturers Association, has strict rules about the display of Nazi paraphernalia that date to that period — and they probably need to show a little more vigilance in enforcing them at their conventions and tradeshows. Lou Zocchi, the industry’s grand old man and a decorated World War II fighter pilot, fought and won a draining libel lawsuit over his stand against Nazi symbols.

By the mid-1970s, someone had established a graphic standard of showing Waffen SS units as black with white lettering. I’m not sure exactly where it first appeared — I’ve heard different tales — but the reason why is pretty clear. In those days, the four-color printing process gave you two “colors” for free: black and white. Each color you used cost more, from one to four. Some graphic designers became extremely adept at producing seemingly colorful counter sheets using only one or two colors beyond the two free ones or what was then called “color of the day.” If some other huge job was running using a lot of one color, you might also get that one for free and so pink and reflex blue became standard in many games.

So black-and-white counters added nothing to your color costs, and that explains why the scheme was used at all. But how it became associated with the Waffen SS, Germany's criminal gang of Nazi enforcers, is much less clear. It probably has some psychological underpinning of black = evil, but by the time I was playing wargames in high school, the association was definitely very strong that the black units were the SS. And in most of those games, there was no particular reason for the SS to have its own color scheme. But they did anyway.

When we founded the original Avalanche Press in 1994, I made the conscious decision that we would never use Nazi symbols in our games. And we’ve held to that, even sending the warehouse boys through the stacks with India-Ink pens to wipe out a swastika snuck in by a box designer. By the time our Panzer Grenadier series launched at the end of the last century, we could print in any color combination we could devise. And I decided that we would not use the standard black for the SS; actually, I decided not to put them in the games at all.

Eventually we did, with a camouflage scheme to set them apart from German Army units. Because the SS are often under special rules (usually involving some form of battlefield cowardice) and have different morale levels than the regular Army (general lower), they do need to have a distinguishing look. I did not want to give them the “Nazi” black-and-white scheme.

But many gamers have asked for them in that pattern, and my views have altered. For one thing, these are just little squares of colored, laminated cardboard. The black scheme has little to do with Nazi Germany; it’s a game publishing idea. German situation maps made during the war do often use black ink for SS units (with blue for regular Army, red for enemies, green for allies). Otherwise, it’s a tradition out of the dawn of wargaming.
And so we have the playing pieces in Dishonor Before Death; along with 30 new scenarios, there are 165 die-cut and mounted pieces in a new color scheme originally printed for our old Black SS book. It reproduces every SS unit and leader from three games: Elsenborn Ridge, Liberation 1944 and Fire & Sword. If you don’t like the black scheme, you don’t need them. If you like it and want to see the SS get crushed in the most visible form possible, it just plugs right in.

to Dr Benninghof's credit, as he writes here, the SS units in the games he has designed are weaker than regular Heer troops, but anyone with a familiarity with WW2 wargaming would know that alongside the SS having their own special counters comes with the SS also being regarded as "elite" troops, with higher attack values, XP values, morale values, and so on

and that comes from wargaming being heavily influenced by Cold War-era histories of WW2, where we had people like von Manstein, von Mellenthin, Guderian, von Luck, Rudel and Balck writing exculpatory memoirs that cast the Russians as "Asiatic hordes" and German troops as valiantly-outnumbered, technologically superior, better trained, better lead veterans, with the SS being the elite of the elite, and so on.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 29, 2022

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, the basic assumption that when you're playing a hex and counter wargame that you need to get yourself hyped up to play one side or the other is kind of the flaw, to me in the argument. Playing, say, the Germans in an Ardennes wargame doesn't really require you to spend hours lovingly modeling and painting and reading the lore in Sepp Dietrich or Joachim Peiper(kudos to the guys who whacked him after the war). You play the position, the game as itself, as a game.

Playing something like Last Blitzkrieg, you get to see the SS units, and there's definitely some decisions i might call questionable. For example, putting the panzer-battalions of the 12th SS as action rating 4 is somewhat strange to me for battalions where much of its crew went into battle having only taken one or two training shots. But it is pretty accurate that their infantry is on the level of the garbage tier FJ divisions(the german 'paratroopers' in december 1944 were mostly airfield service personnel dragooned into infantry and were the props for a crazy medal of honor moment for a US recon platoon).

In Third Winter, a game about the Soviet offensive across Ukraine in 1943-44, the SS units are basically portrayed as fairly similar to their equivalents- they have the white text on black aesthetic on their counter but have fairly average ratings for panzer-divisions and infantry regiments in the German Army which makes sense.

Generally speaking, I think the decently researched games do a pretty good job of individualizing units, even if i don't agree with all the decisions made.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

Honestly, the basic assumption that when you're playing a hex and counter wargame that you need to get yourself hyped up to play one side or the other is kind of the flaw, to me in the argument. Playing, say, the Germans in an Ardennes wargame doesn't really require you to spend hours lovingly modeling and painting and reading the lore in Sepp Dietrich or Joachim Peiper(kudos to the guys who whacked him after the war). You play the position, the game as itself, as a game.

I agree, and it's part of why that review of a new Stalingrad wargame I posted while back feels so... disingenuous, because it tries to make this argument that merely playing a side constitutes endorsement, and then projects some 2022-founded distaste for Russians onto the Soviet Union of 1942.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I think it's entirely fair that SS units be portrayed differently than Wehrmacht units. One thing that comes up over and over is the fact that they DID perform differently.

Unfortunately this is yet another example of how wargames using "on paper" stats makes the German stuff better than it was in reality. Just like how games look at things like a tank's armor thickness and gun size while ignoring factors like cost or reliability makes a Tiger or Panther look unrealistically good, the same goes for SS.

You can absolutely say that SS had better "morale" than their Wehrmacht counterparts. They were fanatics. But you also have to say that they just weren't as tactically skilled. They were used as berserkers - good for assaulting an enemy position, and also known for dying heroically in droves in the process. Account after account describes how they would make bold attacks, but suffer disproportionate casualties.

That sort of thing - tactically handling troops - is what the player does in a wargame - so the only stat you see is "high morale" without an appropriate penalty. I guess you could make some sort of rule like "can't take cover" or "must assault even if they all die," but that makes for poor games.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

The frosthaven box is likely heavy enough to kill a small child. Thankfully it will not automatically do so.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I love the idea of de-mystifying the SS, but hex and chit is a weird venue for that discussion. At the scale where you're playing that kind of game, the SS would have been operationally different enough to justify a different colored tile.

Not better, but they would have had a separate chain of command and (IIRC) been less poorly equipped by virtue of their political connections. It's the kind of thing that you'd notice at the company level or above.

The problem in gaming where individual SS men are presented as superhuman supersoldiers. That poo poo is straight from the propaganda reels.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

moths posted:

Not better, but they would have had a separate chain of command and (IIRC) been less poorly equipped by virtue of their political connections.

Gonna make a mild nitpick here.

The SS weren't better equipped until near the end of the war, specifically after the July 20 bomb plot to kill Hitler. In the early/mid years of the war they had a relatively high proportion of equipment that was looted from occupied territories (like Czech machineguns and small arms, or captured T-34s) or made by slave labor in their concentration camps (like their camouflage smocks). It wasn't until Hitler lost faith in the army, especially after some of them tried to kill him, that they started getting the good stuff.

moths posted:

The problem in gaming where individual SS men are presented as superhuman supersoldiers. That poo poo is straight from the propaganda reels.

I'd like to see some sort of rule like:

- Higher Morale
- Must charge at any opportunity even if it means certain death

I dunno, it's not perfect, but something like that. ("If you play SS you must play aggressively but ineptly," maybe?)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think a lot of this stuff might be best modeled by scoring / win condition stuff, even. Making the fascists' goal "win by optimal and rational means" rather than some combination of "please the lunatics in command" and "die 'gloriously' for the fatherland" isn't doing your historical simulation any favors.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think a lot of this stuff might be best modeled by scoring / win condition stuff, even. Making the fascists' goal "win by optimal and rational means" rather than some combination of "please the lunatics in command" and "die 'gloriously' for the fatherland" isn't doing your historical simulation any favors.

Sure, but a big part of the problem is that sort of lesson often doesn't sink in with gamers. They'll happily throw away every single piece on the board if it means winning the game. They don't think of anything outside of the specific scenario being played unless there's some other sort of "victory condition" built in.

quote:

"I won the battle! I took the objective!"

Sure, but you lost 80% of your troops. There's a couple of wounded men planting a flag on the objective, but your command is gone and you have to fight again tomorrow.

"Yeah, but I won!"

This mindset affects (affected) both gamers and the real SS.

You could make a "victory condition" like "must take the objective and have X of your units survive," but that would encourage a cautious play that the SS wasn't capable of.

And that's the whole thing. The Nazi model is disproportionately rewarded in wargames because wargames reward the things the Nazis concentrated on - because (a) they're easily measured and (b) gamers want a "fair" game - while ignoring the stupidity that made them lose, take disproportionate losses, etc.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Hold up, somebody sued Zocchi because he wouldn't put Nazi imagery in his products?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I remember a goon sharing something here from a WWII miniatures game (maybe Bolt Action) where one of the local players gave the OPFOR the respect they deserved. He kept his Axis minis all jumbled together in a little box labeled FASCISTS. The minis had a cursory coat of hastily applied black spray paint. Deploying a unit would involve fishing through the box of fascists and pulling out a black shadow goblin. A defeated unit would get unceremoniously dumped back into the box of fascists.
Contrast that to the same player's lovingly painted and detailed Allied miniatures.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

canyoneer posted:

I remember a goon sharing something here from a WWII miniatures game (maybe Bolt Action) where one of the local players gave the OPFOR the respect they deserved. He kept his Axis minis all jumbled together in a little box labeled FASCISTS. The minis had a cursory coat of hastily applied black spray paint. Deploying a unit would involve fishing through the box of fascists and pulling out a black shadow goblin. A defeated unit would get unceremoniously dumped back into the box of fascists.
Contrast that to the same player's lovingly painted and detailed Allied miniatures.

this is not a troll, i am genuinely seriously asking because i'm a bit fuzzy on military history at the best of times: were there any units/groups in the axis that aren't considered fascists? or is that a suitable label for any others beyond germany/japan/italy if you were playing some weird corner of the world scenario?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

canyoneer posted:

That was me who posted that. The guy in question was Jack Radey, a great guy who owned "People's Wargames" back in the day.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

grassy gnoll posted:

Hold up, somebody sued Zocchi because he wouldn't put Nazi imagery in his products?

I remember in Designers & Dragons he was very anti-Nazis at gaming conventions. Presumably a lawsuit came up from him getting a Nazi ejected from a con?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arivia posted:

this is not a troll, i am genuinely seriously asking because i'm a bit fuzzy on military history at the best of times: were there any units/groups in the axis that aren't considered fascists?

You could probably make a case for Finland.

It's not 100% by any means, but that's as good as you're going to get if you want to play someone fighting against the USSR who isn't goose-stepping.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cessna posted:

It's not 100% by any means, but that's as good as you're going to get if you want to play someone fighting against the USSR who isn't goose-stepping.

Oh, no, I'm not playing any wargames. I was just wondering if there was a case where the OPFOR wouldn't make sense to be in the literal fascists box without it being some apologist bullshit (not to detract from the good idea of the box + minis themselves). Thank you for the answer.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cessna posted:

Gonna make a mild nitpick here.

I agree (and tried to convey that idea with "less poorly equipped") but that is an important point and I wasn't considering anything but late war.

Like a wargamer :v:

Cessna posted:

I dunno, it's not perfect, but something like that. ("If you play SS you must play aggressively but ineptly," maybe?)

I really like mechanics that put you in the shoes of the participants, at least from a pure game perspective.

So consider something like a partial Victory Point refund for surrendering Heer troops. If the Heer player destroyed a bridge but is losing the firefight, they can surrender and get some VP points back. This also denies the allies' points (for killing them,) and you possibly still win the scenario.

But then you don't give the SS that option.

You get two totally different outcomes but without accidently making the SS look cool. It's more in line with anecdotes where the SS were too indoctrinated / afraid to yield when they should.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 29, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cessna posted:

Sure, but a big part of the problem is that sort of lesson often doesn't sink in with gamers. They'll happily throw away every single piece on the board if it means winning the game. They don't think of anything outside of the specific scenario being played unless there's some other sort of "victory condition" built in.

This mindset affects (affected) both gamers and the real SS.

You could make a "victory condition" like "must take the objective and have X of your units survive," but that would encourage a cautious play that the SS wasn't capable of.

And that's the whole thing. The Nazi model is disproportionately rewarded in wargames because wargames reward the things the Nazis concentrated on - because (a) they're easily measured and (b) gamers want a "fair" game - while ignoring the stupidity that made them lose, take disproportionate losses, etc.

Now you got me wondering about actually trying to design to get this feel. Actual no-poo poo realism is impossible and not-exactly desirable for most people, but you can at least pick what you're trying to simulate and try to make an analogue.

Some kind of gameplay loop where instead of getting to decide what your troops/models/army barbies do directly, they instead havw some kind of in-built fake psychology AI about what they want to do in reaction to stimulus and the player is trying to shape that behavior and decide between available options. Troop types are differentiated by some of the usual stuff you'd expect out of a wargame (shock vs. ranged troops and how far they can move seem obvious to keep) but most importantly by what actions they can perform and with what likelihood. Obviously you'd have to give the player enough toggles and dials to still make a game with it (unless it's very quick, I'm assuming everyone wants to be able to still affect the game after initial set up.)

WWII as a setting is kind of done to death, but it'd pair really nicely with maybe a Classical Antiquity setting. Really show off how things like war elephants could be very effective or a shitload of work for something negatively helpful. You could have a fun trade-off by simulating actual on-the-ground command presence so Alexander the Great style leading from an embedded position can positively influence nearby troops but directing the rest of the battle gets more tenuous and you risk pulling a Cyrus the Younger and losing by getting ganked. While maybe staying back lets you have more control of reserves (which suddenly are super important).

It's an interesting idea and might be cool to explore. Obviously you'd tack on campaign play and a heavy use of scenarios too, but that's basically always necessary : "kill all the other dudes, no long term consequences" is kind of always gonna be the least interesting situation, tactically.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

WWII as a setting is kind of done to death, but it'd pair really nicely with maybe a Classical Antiquity setting. Really show off how things like war elephants could be very effective or a shitload of work for something negatively helpful.

I'd love to play this.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Cessna posted:

That's a tricky issue, because there absolutely were fascists in Finland, they just weren't running the show. They were politically a small minority who got about 8% of the vote and held 7% of the seats in the parliament and had one minister. However, the Greater Finland-ideology had support outside the fascist Patriotic Peoples Movement party, quite a bit among career officers.

The right and the left did a whole bunch of political infighting behind the scenes during the Continuation war, with even the moderate-right leaning quite enthusiastically towards Germany, and the left going "While we gotta side with the Germans, let's not go crazy here guys".

On the other hand, SS Division Wiking had like 1400 Finnish volunteers until 1941 and a small number of them tried to, and sometimes succeeded, keep fighting for Germany until 1945 (hi Lauri Törni, you treasonous piece of poo poo).

But on the other hand, the Social Democrats and the trade unions were absolutely 100% vital for Finland not being crushed in 1939-40, and they were not into the whole Greater Finland poo poo, and there were almost mutinies in 1941 when Finnish troops were commanded to advance beyond the 1939-borders.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Bee posted:

That Old Tree posted:

:words: All-in-all I think there's more missed opportunities or gaps that feel very obvious to people familiar with the prior edition (or the legendarium itself) than anything that could be definitively considered a terrible blunder.

Just to round this off real quick (as it's not industry chat) - I broadly agree with all of that, but you forgot the the real problem: specialties are gone so you can no longer take pipe-smoking (and also distinctive features are no longer nearly as big a deal as before since they just make you inspired instead of granting an automatic success or advancement points).

For my part, I'll just be sticking to 1e revised (especially as I own it and the adventurer's companion in print) instead - 2e isn't terrible (it's even pretty good!), it just feels like a sidegrade to and slight step down from the C7 edition.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 29, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I had no idea Zocci was a fighter pilot; that's pretty cool. I also didn't know anything about a libel lawsuit; anyone have any info on that?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

He wasn't; he was an enlisted air traffic controller, which is cool enough.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Some kind of gameplay loop where instead of getting to decide what your troops/models/army barbies do directly, they instead havw some kind of in-built fake psychology AI about what they want to do in reaction to stimulus and the player is trying to shape that behavior and decide between available options. Troop types are differentiated by some of the usual stuff you'd expect out of a wargame (shock vs. ranged troops and how far they can move seem obvious to keep) but most importantly by what actions they can perform and with what likelihood.
That's not uncommon in wargames. A mix of morale and 'command friction' systems. Et Sans Resultat, off the top of my head, does basically exactly this. Your commander issues orders to elements, which take those orders like a fuzzy AI and try to accomplish them, but certain actions like charging require a morale check that uses factors like the veterancy and condition of the models.

It's pretty dang fun. That part at least. ESR's melee combat is a dumpsterfire of tedious nitpicking.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

EdsTeioh posted:

I had no idea Zocci was a fighter pilot; that's pretty cool. I also didn't know anything about a libel lawsuit; anyone have any info on that?

A fair bit of searching, but the story was told by TheDiceMustRoll earlier in this very thread. Zocchi took a financial metaphorical-bullet to get a Nazi kicked out of Gen Con.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Aw thanks!! Lou's a real nice guy and used to be a fixture at game cons down here in the South. Not sure if he really goes to them anymore, but he would always take time to talk to you at the ones he attended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Slyphic posted:

That's not uncommon in wargames. A mix of morale and 'command friction' systems. Et Sans Resultat, off the top of my head, does basically exactly this. Your commander issues orders to elements, which take those orders like a fuzzy AI and try to accomplish them, but certain actions like charging require a morale check that uses factors like the veterancy and condition of the models.

It's pretty dang fun. That part at least. ESR's melee combat is a dumpsterfire of tedious nitpicking.

It’s sounds like you’re still giving orders and the psychology is whether they follow those orders, which isn’t at all what I meant. I was talking more “”””realistic”””” battles where the player has control for initial set-up and command, but after that actual control of units becomes more restricted, e.g. some troops are out of command and fully subject to the AI with significantly less player control, possibly none.

So in my toy example of a battle from Classical Antiquity maybe you can make limited choices (e.g. target priority but NOT charging vs staying put) unless you actually send a dude with a message from your commander to those troops.