Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Karach posted:

Pedestrians here are so cucked by cars that they wave them through at crosswalks. It's so undignified

approaching a car on my hands and knees so i can lick the tires to show absolute deference to the driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

drat what happened in Lithuania in 2008 and can we make it happen here?

found out btw

https://www.baltictimes.com/lithuania_s_car_crash_deaths_decrease_by_50__over_a_decade/

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I always grumble when someone bikes toward me on the sidewalk, but then I remember that their only legal option is to risk their life in the street with a bunch of psychopaths, and then I get over it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Speaking of psychopaths https://www.reddit.com/r/iamatotalpieceofshit/comments/z7bl1z/man_runs_over_cyclist_while_filming/

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's always fun to listen to cyclists twist themselves in pretzel knots trying to explain how traffic laws don't apply to them, usually right after calling for the death penalty for all motorists who commit even the slightest violation

Pedestrians should come first, always.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

recently almost got pasted by an ebike going the wrong way through a red light cause if he stopped he'd probably get fired from delivering calzones
its a sick society

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's always fun to listen to cyclists twist themselves in pretzel knots trying to explain how traffic laws don't apply to them, usually right after calling for the death penalty for all motorists who commit even the slightest violation

It's never fun to read any post you make

mystes
May 31, 2006

"pedestrians and bikes must always obey current lovely traffic laws" and "pedestrians always come first" are basically diametrically opposite

If you're saying "only bikes must obey traffic laws but pedestrians are free to ignore them and jaywalk because the rules are lovely and anti-pedestrian" that's at least coherent but you're basically doing the same thing you're condemning cyclists for

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I love to get on my bike and go bowling for pedestrians

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Laws are for cars. HTH.
Sure they apply to bikes, but they are FOR cars.
Not just the laws, but the courts and jurys also have car brains.

Yes, but the rising death rate says the reality is opposite.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Xaris posted:

wow, sure would be bad for people if cities were to do some ableism

just how bad of the ableism is it? they're putting in a bike lane and losing like 3 parking spots https://www.berkeleyside.org/2022/10/12/berkeley-hopkins-bike-lanes-city-council-parking

in loving florida of all places it's incredibly easy to have a van just show up, and at least here in broward it's completely run by the county:

It costs $3.50 to ride.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

approaching a car on my hands and knees so i can lick the tires to show absolute deference to the driver

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FYI. None of those ableism complaints are made in good faith.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

recently almost got pasted by an ebike going the wrong way through a red light cause if he stopped he'd probably get fired from delivering calzones
its a sick society

god damned italians

mystes
May 31, 2006

Leeloo Dallas Multiusepath

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

mystes posted:

Leeloo Dallas Multiusepath

that's Lola actually

mystes
May 31, 2006

yes but I couldn't think of a joke for that and whatever they both have red hair

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mystes posted:

yes but I couldn't think of a joke for that and whatever they both have red hair

It's a thinker, but it works :colbert:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Karach posted:

Pedestrians here are so cucked by cars that they wave them through at crosswalks. It's so undignified

I’d rather the death machine move along so they aren’t seething and doing the math if killing me for making them slow down is something they could get away with

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.startribune.com/disability-etiquette-stop-embarrassing-yourself-and-learn-the-right-way-to-engage/600230986/

love the mindset of someone who asks this

quote:

What about parking in disabled parking spots?

Same thing. It's only OK to park in disabled parking spaces if you are a disabled person who needs to park there. Disabled parking spaces are near the front of the store because if you're in a wheelchair, or if you struggle with mobility, getting from your car into the store can be difficult and dangerous. Disabled parking spaces are also bigger for people who use specially designed vehicles for travel and who need the extra space to get in and out of wheelchairs and mobility devices. These spots provide safety and ease of access. Parking in them for convenience disregards the needs of disabled people.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

skooma512 posted:

I’d rather the death machine move along so they aren’t seething and doing the math if killing me for making them slow down is something they could get away with
Gotta practice my get out of jail free lines:
"They came out of nowhere"
"I didn't see them"
"Lol it was just a lowly walker, no big deal"
"They jumped out in front of me"
"This psychological trauma is the worst experience imaginable"

I can't blame you for not wanting to throw your life away for what feels like a hopeless cause.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

When I see someone in a wheelchair, should I offer to push the chair?

Think of someone's wheelchair or other mobility device as an extension of their body — you wouldn't just go pick someone up by their legs and walk for them. Mobility devices are used to offer independence, so unless the person asks, it's generally considered rude and invasive to push the wheelchair of someone you don't know.

:psyduck:

When I see a little person, is it ok to pick them up by the legs and vroom vroom them around like a wheelbarrow?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

This is sort of fascinating to me because I'm someone who "technically" meets the criteria for a disabled parking tag and even though my wife has made a very rational, sensible case as to why I should, I just can't bring myself to do it. Sure, walking across a hot parking lot in the middle of the day could cause me to overheat to the point of a seizure, but I'm fortunate enough that I'm not disabled to a point where I can't simply adjust my schedule around avoiding the hottest hours of the day, rather than take up a parking spot for someone that doesn't have the same luxuries I do

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lib and let die posted:

This is sort of fascinating to me because I'm someone who "technically" meets the criteria for a disabled parking tag and even though my wife has made a very rational, sensible case as to why I should, I just can't bring myself to do it. Sure, walking across a hot parking lot in the middle of the day could cause me to overheat to the point of a seizure, but I'm fortunate enough that I'm not disabled to a point where I can't simply adjust my schedule around avoiding the hottest hours of the day, rather than take up a parking spot for someone that doesn't have the same luxuries I do

you could get the placard and then just not use it unless you're feeling like you need to

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
love to see shopkeepers disability-wash their demand to keep their personal parking space in front of their shop.

they all know their customers don't park in front because it's their car parked there all day long.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Karach posted:

:psyduck:

When I see a little person, is it ok to pick them up by the legs and vroom vroom them around like a wheelbarrow?

You joke, but the amount of weird poo poo people would do to my friend with muscular dystrophy without asking is incredible. A common thing was just lifting his wheelchair to help him up stairs, which could have been helpful if they'd ask first and receive instructions on what part of the chair could be lifted without falling off. Also literally stuffing food in his mouth.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

it’s always fun to listen to you become a blabbering idiot when when someone mentions a bicycle regardless of what subforum it’s posted in.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

We're all just trying to get home with our groceries in hell world without killing anyone

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1597647847251640320?s=20&t=jYJ-Kn-joE92k5dq348_gA

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Lib and let die posted:

We're all just trying to get home with our groceries in hell world without killing anyone

from the numbers it's clear that this is true of pedestrians and cyclists and transit users but not true of many drivers

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

from the numbers it's clear that this is true of pedestrians and cyclists and transit users but not true of many drivers

I figured that was implied

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Lib and let die posted:

I figured that was implied

sorry, still deeply traumatized by the meme contrasting kamikaze cyclists with respectable pedestrians saying 'i better be careful so i don't get run over' and respectable drivers saying 'i better be careful not to hit anyone'

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Yeah but what if I really want to/it's just for a few minutes/I have my hazards on?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I always grumble when someone bikes toward me on the sidewalk, but then I remember that their only legal option is to risk their life in the street with a bunch of psychopaths, and then I get over it.

you could say exactly the same thing about ppl driving cars on the sidewalk

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

scripted i assume? but lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

cool av posted:

https://twitter.com/ely_sec/status/1597661919208706048?s=20&t=GObV13lwejmQdG1sP4eaBQ

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

cool av posted:

you could say exactly the same thing about ppl driving cars on the sidewalk

That would be willfully obtuse, but yeah you could

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ChiefAromaticCormorant-mobile.mp4

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

bazingas, doing bazinga things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

cool av posted:

no, it's a real clip from the ITN archive. Here's the original source, a longer clip, with a little context. great video.

https://twitter.com/ITNArchive/status/1597221270227013632